• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer Expo: Vlambeer's Wasteland Kings (PC, PS4, Vita) is now NUCLEAR THRONE

During the Eurogamer Expo, the final developer session of the show was led by Vlambeer's Rami Ismail, and took a lot at their upcoming top-down roguelike shooter, Wasteland Kings. This was previously announced for PS4 and Vita back at Gamescom, and they've been streaming the vast majority of the game's development on their Twitch channel (www.twitch.tv/vlambeer). The game looks incredible: it was fun seeing Rami show off all the different builds and some of the different playable characters, especially when the build turned out to be broken, but the real highlight was just how satisfying everything looked. It's fast, it's merciless, it's got a nice sense of humour... The sound effects are just brilliant; I could listen to it all day. The music is tremendous too.

Anyway, one bit of new info Rami dropped: game's getting re-named. It's now called "Nuclear Throne". He said there's a number of soon-to-be-clarified reasons why, but I'm guessing the upcoming pixel art side-scrolling shooter "Mercenary Kings" might have made the title a bit too close for comfort. He said they'll be talking to press soon enough, but hey: new news, eh?

Oh, and Eurogamer filmed the session and you can watch it here. It's worth a watch: definitely my favourite panel of the show, even in the face of Molyneux's super amusing Godus panel.

edit: Vlambeer's got a blog post up. Name change is because of inXile's Wasteland, forgot completely about those guys!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Not gonna lie, I almost confused it with Merc. Kings when it was announced for PS platforms last month. Not sure if the new name is better though

I worked Rami's booth with him at PAX Prime, and played a damn good amount of the new version of the game. It's probably my favorite rogue-like ever.

Can't wait to have it on my Vita. That AND Luftrausers.

I worked Rami's booth with him at PAX Prime, and played a damn good amount of the new version of the game. It's probably my favorite rogue-like ever.

Really jealous. The whole time he was playing, I just wanted to grab the controller out of his hands. It looked so cool.

Man, I fucking sucked at Luftrausers when I played it today. Practically had to leave the booth in shame. :(

Skyzard

Banned

Looking forward to it then, thanks!

I've been wanting luftrausers for too long. Where's that date :( can't be long now hopefully.

nampad

I like the old name more but in the end I don't care, I just want to play this and Luftrausers. Please release them soon, can't wait.

I've been wanting luftrausers for too long. Where's that date :( can't be long now hopefully.

From what I understand it's waiting on Sony certification, so blame them.

Really jealous.
Be jealous of this shirt (although it'll be for sale soon).
example.jpg

tha_rami

Neo Member
It's about time I registered here. NeoGAF has always been really nice to read for us and extremely supportive of our work - thank you so much for all the kind words now and earlier.

We're also glad you liked the talk and the new name. It's always a bit scary, revealing a change to something people seem to like (Wasteland Kings was a great name) - but we think Nuclear Throne is equally fitting for the game and it resolves a bunch of issues we had with the original title.

Either way, we can't wait to get the game ready on Early Access.

It's about time I registered here. NeoGAF has always been really nice to read for us and extremely supportive of our work - thank you so much for all the kind words now and earlier.

We're also glad you liked the talk and the new name. It's always a bit scary, revealing a change to something people seem to like (Wasteland Kings was a great name) - but we think Nuclear Throne is equally fitting for the game and it resolves a bunch of issues we had with the original title.

Either way, we can't wait to get the game ready on Early Access.

Oh, that's great to hear that it'll be on Early Access. I'll be there day one. And yeah, Wasteland Kings was a cool name (i also love the "You did not become the Wasteland King" message upon death), but I'd be lying if I wasn't mixing it up with Mercenary Kings at times. Plus like people say, Nuclear Throne is incredibly metal. :lol

Nice to see you on GAF now. Loved the talk, shame about the underground dicking you over but I don't think you suffered much for it, haha.

edit:
edit: Eurogamer article here.

SmokyDave

I can't thank you enough for supporting the Vita. My pennies are your pennies.

Glass Rebel

I remember reading it somewhere that inExile contacted them over the name because of Wasteland 2 but I can't find the news anymore. Anyway, I like how they've resolved it and prefer the new name.

I find it sad that a game with such a generic name can effect another game that at least goes out of its way to be original. I'm pretty sure anyone with a functioning brain and n interest in either title would know which is which..eh, good on them for being civil and just going along with it, nuclear throne isn't horrible so it could be a lot worse.

hiryu

I just want to say that so far this game is awesome. It definitely has that I have to play one more time feeling and the music is spectacular.

Babiou

Neo Member
Playing it now - having a blast - or several.
Still got weird keyboard mappings - playing with keyboard arrows so i got trouble reachinE key in time. Probably missed something - or sleep - cant wait to see the progress anyway!!

Top Bottom