• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[eurogamer] Fifa 'pro' banned for two months for abusive behaviour, vows to 'quit' in protest.

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: eurogamer
relevant videos and tweets at link above

Kurt "Kurt0411" Fenech, from Malta, was banned from competing at EA's FIFA 19 esports tournaments for two months for "abusive behaviour" towards FIFA players and others in the community.

UPDATE: Fenech responded to Eurogamer over email with the following statement: "All I'm going to say is if they're going to ban me for 'personal attacks' then loads of others should have got banned as well but they didn't. The ban is completely unjustified and we will see what happens in the future but this is far far from over."

During a high-profile tournament earlier this year, he walked out mid-match after conceding what's known as a "kick-off goal" - a goal that is considered cheap by many and exploiting the game by some.

In tweets, Fenech called players "pussies", has called FIFA 19 and FIFA 18 a "pile of shit" and called a FIFA esports team manager a "bum... who does nothing more than ass lick at every opportunity he gets".

In his statement, Fenech said he believes the real reason for his ban is because of his criticism of FIFA 19 itself, as opposed to insults directed at individuals.

"My words cut deeper than anyone's because the truth hurts more than anything," he said. "Some disagreed with the way I went about it, fair enough, but I had the right to voice my opinion even if it means upsetting certain people."

Think he is just spitting his dummy out. I'm curious though as to esports and 'bugs/exploits'. They must occur in other games so how do they handle it? Is it a gentlmans agreement to not use it or disqualification etc.?

LordRaptor

All I'm going to say is if they're going to ban me for 'personal attacks' then loads of others should have got banned as well but they didn't. The ban is completely unjustified

"Yeah, I did it but so did lots of other people" isn't "unjustified" breh

Next this you know is EA banning another pro for speaking his mind.

EA wants this inconsistent mechanics in their game so that people are never comfortable with one team, meaning people will stop spending money if they are happy with their team. This is strictly Ultimate team btw, their go to Esport mode, where the better you spend the money, the likely you are to qualify for the event.

vn4509qacbt11.jpg

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

EA wants this inconsistent mechanics in their game so that people are never comfortable with one team, meaning people will stop spending money if they are happy with their team. This is strictly Ultimate team btw, their go to Esport mode, where the better you spend the money, the likely you are to qualify for the event.

vn4509qacbt11.jpg

Hence why it is so much easier to pick out the heavily scripted moments in FIFA, much more than it ever has been. It seems to get worse every year.

Last edited:

ROMhack

Inconsistent mechanics have been a feature of the game for as long as I can remember and certainly before micro-transactions were a thing. I used to play FIFA competitively online at least half a decade before I'd ever heard the term 'esports' and people would always criticise the game for randomising the effectiveness of players.

The meme at the time was friendships ending due to FIFA. I've seen people get madder in real life over the game than this guy.

Last edited:
This guy seems like a complete tosser, which is of course precisely what you would expect from someone who plays FIFA for a living.

Akuza89

To be honest I partly get what he means... he just went about it in the wrong way...

People get like that it's natural... but it can be used an intimidation tactic which is why they don't want it at the tournaments.

vn4509qacbt11.jpg

This I agree with, ultimate team has always had an issue like that and its clear that it's on purpose, your team gets almost "nerfed" it's too good over so many matches.

I have partly given up on playing multiplayer ultimate team now, just play squad battle single player, finish are gold 1 and get a load of packs and coins... that way I can build up my team without paying a penny, then take it on for FUT champs, but they're changing things with that now so maybe ill just stick with single player haha

I prefer career mode anywho!

cormack12

Gold Member
I don't really play FIFA that much and certainly not competitively online. Are the squads affected by live form or anything? You know where they download patches to reflect player and team form?

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I know very little about FIFA competition, but if “kick-off goals” are not explicitly banned in the tournament rules, then walking out is pretty childish.

Dontero

Banned
To be honest I partly get what he means... he just went about it in the wrong way...

I know very little about FIFA competition, but if “kick-off goals” are not explicitly banned in the tournament rules, then walking out is pretty childish.

Problem here is that FIFA since forever employs scripting into matches. And those scripts only got worse with new editions.

So regardless of how good you are in that moment, your players could be in best form ever, you will get this fucking scripting where suddenly all of your players will flop, run slowly and lose every fucking ball there is because game decided that now it is time for opponents to score.

It is the rubber band that always existed and for a lot of time people only speculated about it but with more people and more technology it was pretty much confirmed. That rubber band is supposed to "emulate" various things like home-away difference, daily difference between matches, or just plain old bad luck.

The thing is that you can fucking see it. Especially when you know AI ins and out. And if you are esport player i guess i can perfectly understand why they rage about it.

Want sport ? Fine. Just don't make sport where you randomly have "ups now you will lose because fuck you".

As someone who played shitload of FIFA/PES over past 20 years frankly speaking i would shove scripting book up some dev ass for first coming up with this bullshit and then continuing doing same bullshit every year. There is form for every player FFS.

I hope more esports players will call spade a spade, if more devs will get shat for it publicly then maybe they will fucking change it and us peasants will also enjoy it.

I am mainly PES player but same shit happens there. Honestly if i had PES dev playing with me i would seriously consider strangling fucker just to send message. I don't know how many times i was this fucking close to just throwing pad into TV. Watching reasonable play go into Benny Hill mode is always fucking something i just can't swallow.

Last edited:

Z..

don't bite the hand that feeds you.

life skill 101
More like subservient assimilated tool 101. I'm not defending his actions specifically nor is what I'm about to say related to this particular case in any way but this culture of fear when it comes to defying authority when it beckons defying is largely responsible for how rampant and ubiquitous modern capitalist corporate culture has become.

Always bite the hand that feeds if it behaves questionably or makes absurd demands , otherwise you'll find yourself being taken advantage of at every turn. You cannot let currency dictate where your moral compass points towards, otherwise you'll be ruled by inertia rather than your own will.

danielberg

Neophyte

vn4509qacbt11.jpg

So the dude was right about EA and FIFA 19 being a pile of shit lolol Still if he needs to pay bills wtf is he doing being honest about it lol

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
More like subservient assimilated tool 101. I'm not defending his actions specifically nor is what I'm about to say related to this particular case in any way but this culture of fear when it comes to defying authority when it beckons defying is largely responsible for how rampant and ubiquitous modern capitalist corporate culture has become.

Always bite the hand that feeds if it behaves questionably or makes absurd demands , otherwise you'll find yourself being taken advantage of at every turn. You cannot let currency dictate where your moral compass points towards, otherwise you'll be ruled by inertia rather than your own will.
there is a time and place for meme this is not it

Is the kick of goal similar to the old lob exploits of psx and n64 soccer games? Aka you do a long range lob, keeper runs out and it bounces over them.
Even Mario strikers for wii still had it lol.

Kenpachii

I don't watch football - what the hell is happening here?

Lots of acting to get a penalty or disrupt the match so players can get back to there positions again. So what happens a guy comes in and cools his muscles with that thing to get rid of the "injury" in 1 minute.

However this guy went a bit overboard with it.

If I had to guess he might have landed hard on his tail bone or pulled a lower back muscle and he's getting numbing spray put on so he can continue to play.
Lots of acting to get a penalty or disrupt the match so players can get back to there positions again. So what happens a guy comes in and cools his muscles with that thing to get rid of the "injury" in 1 minute.

However this guy went a bit overboard with it.
Thanks guys, the curiosity was killing me and I can't even begin to make out what I would have to search for haha

Top Bottom