• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer Hands-on Sheds Light on RE5's Treatment of Race

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeolist

Banned
sonicmj1 said:
What's most offensive about this to me is that there are so many ways to do a zombie game in Africa in a manner that either skirts the obvious racial types or that cleverly exploits them. This news seems to show that Capcom had no idea what they were actually doing when they were including these sorts of images in the game.
It was probably made this way because in Japan it's much more socially accepted to make fun of black people, use blackface, and perpetuate ancient (by our standards) stereotypes about black people. This is just a big joke to them, like the rest of the RE series.

I don't think a lot of people here realize exactly how racist Japanese culture can be.

Pedobear said:
Man if this game was taking place in Canada and had white people doing this, no one would complain.
Because white Canadians weren't enslaved, invaded, colonized, treated as second-class citizens, or portrayed as inhuman murderous savages for hundreds of years.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Alts said:
I am more concerned about the depiction of Sheva as a lighter, more "civilized", African.
This is actually legitimate. I think it's because she's based off of an actual actress but it does seem like they went for a more, for lack of a better word, acceptable image for a character that will be with you the whole time and is playable.

badcrumble said:
Agreed. Resident Evil 5 is clearly the place to find a mature, informed, and well-thought-out depiction of postcolonial strife.

Yeah instead let's read what gaming journalists have to say.

EmCeeGramr said:
Because white Canadians weren't enslaved, invaded, colonized, treated as second-class citizens, or portrayed as inhuman murderous savages for hundreds of years.

"dude, see this is what I'm talking about. Why do you people have to live in the past? It's just a videogame."

aeolist said:
It was probably made this way because in Japan it's much more socially accepted to make fun of black people, use blackface, and perpetuate ancient (by our standards) stereotypes about black people. This is just a big joke to them, like the rest of the RE series.

I don't think a lot of people here realize exactly how racist Japanese culture can be.

This can be true.

In Pride, a Japanese MMA organization, fighter Kevin Randleman, a very muscular, stout black American fighter, was referred to as Donkey Kong, and I believe they even showed footage from Donkey Kong on the big screen when he came out once.

Africa - Off Limits in videogames.

Gotcha. Me and my girlfriend played through the demo a few times online and found it quite ridiculous to have asian, white, hispanic, etc people more prominent in Africa, even if they do also live in places like this. I find it more offensive when sites like this try to "break it down" like...maybe there can't just be crazy africans as well. Videogames rarely ever have mounds of "normal" people in towns compared to crazy ones.

I felt as though the atmosphere is kind of ruined from the demo because of how obviously sprinkled the enemies are

EmCeeGramr said:

we're talking about Canadians from Canada, right?

Teknoman

aeolist said:

I've seen examples of this...but I really dont think Resident Evil is one of them. Havent seen one black "joke" character in any RE game. Main series or spinoffs. Even with Dead Rising for that matter.

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
Pedobear said:
Man if this game was taking place in Canada and had white people doing this, no one would complain.

It seems every single time there is something related to violence in Africa it's automatically racism. It's a fucking videogame. Give me a break.

Yep, let's just ignore history and pretend that racism never existed.

I also think there would be a problem with a RE game where lets say you're taking out French speaking zombies in Quebec while having teaming up with an English speaking female in Quebec while on a mission to stop those French speaking Quebecians? from taking over all of Canada.

Teknoman

Second said:
I think I only saw one white zombie in the RE5 demo. He looks like an Iraqi.

Yeah, they've got different shades of black zombies, and quite a few that look to be middle eastern(?).

Besides there is also that general guy character with the red beret.

Zeliard

Alts said:
I am more concerned about the depiction of Sheva as a lighter, more "civilized", African.

It's this in addition to everything else Dan Whitehead mentioned. It wouldn't be so bad if it was one random instance of it, but the apparent fact that this sort of imagery repeats itself throughout the game in various forms is worrisome.

aeolist said:

Yeah, Japan isn't the most culturally sensitive nation on earth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpNSip5gyKo&eurl

And worse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4QB7cHdVfs

RoboPlato said:
This is actually legitimate. I think it's because she's based off of an actual actress but it does seem like they went for a more, for lack of a better word, acceptable image for a character that will be with you the whole time and is playable.
Sure but at the same time you have to look at exactly what it is. A videogame. They're going to choose what is most widely the most attractive looking woman no matter what race, in every game.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
All it will take is for one mainstream media outlet to show the heroic Chris Redfield stamping on the face of a black woman, splattering her skull, and the controversy over Manhunt 2 will seem quaint by comparison. If we're going to accept this sort of imagery in games then questions are going be asked, these questions will have merit, and we're going to need a more convincing answer than "lol it's just a game."

Truth.

Or are games only art when it's convenient for them to be?

Majmun

Teknoman said:
Yeah, they've got different shades of black zombies, and quite a few that look to be middle eastern(?).

Besides there is also that general guy character with the red beret.

suddam.jpg

That one...

I've seen him so many times in the game.

Damn, I just want to kill black African zombies just as much as all the others. Killed Americans in RE1-3, killied European Spaniards in RE4; I'm just an equal opportunity zombie killer like that. Is that so wrong?!

Next stop somewhere in Asia, please!

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
BSTF said:
Yep, let's just ignore history and pretend that racism never existed.

I also think there would be a problem with a RE game where lets say you're taking out French speaking zombies in Quebec while having teaming up with an English speaking female in Quebec while on a mission to stop those French speaking Quebecians? from taking over all of Canada.
You make so much sense. OMG, it's obvious that RE5 is racist. It has black enemies. The first fucking time a game has a majority of black enemies and cries of racism abound, while no one fucking raised a word about RE4 and it's redneck spaniards or Call Of Duty with it's murderous Japanese.

But hey, as soon as it's black zombies it's filthy antagonistic racism.

Tell you what, if a person sees any racism in RE5, they are the racists ones. And where would the problem be with your idea of a Canada RE? Because French people can't be zombies? The only people who would raise a ruckus are the Quebec left winged separatist media. Shit, I am separatist and I wouldn't give a fuck.

Do you even know about Canadian history and how French people were considered trash for years? How their parliament was burned by English folks lead by priests while firefighters didn't lift a finger? When churches told their people not to consider French Canadian there equal?

Do you think Africa's the only place that faced prejudice? Or that only black people can be discriminated against?

Red

The S-Word said:
Sure but at the same time you have to look at exactly what it is. A videogame. They're going to choose what is most widely the most attractive looking woman no matter what race, in every game.
I think, from reading this statement, that you have some grasp on how extremely racist this sentiment is.

I don't think you can really defend the decision if the events that occur in-game are as vapid as Eurogamer makes them out to be. Saying a lighter-skinned person is more attractive is propagating a myth. It's demeaning anyone else who happens to have a darker shade of skin and it's totally dismissive of the fact that it's absolutely wrong.

Teknoman

Im sure if Sheva was of a darker tone, there would be people complaining that not all black people are the same skin tone. Either way there will always be something to complain about...

I'm more offended by RE5's controls than any of it's portrayals of race.

Plus is has Blackalicious titties on Sheva, ah - if only the controls didn't blow ass all over. :|

forget about what gamers think, think about how the media is going to do when they pick up and roll with this.

See how they were with Mortal Kombat back in the early 90s, then Doom/Quake Columbine, then Grand Theft Auto series

the mainstream media is going to make a big stink about RE5 next month

TheCardPlayer

Htown said:
Truth.

Or are games only art when it's convenient for them to be?
So Chris showing stomping a white woman isn't sexism. But stomping a black woman is racist, got it. If the game shows any etnicity getting stomped it's okay but not the blacks that's racist. All right, I got the memo. Sorry if there was a misunderstanding here.

The Faceless Master said:
hopefully, other journalists can confirm or deny eurogamer's allegations.
We're putting up an Idle Thumbs preview segment within the hour, and Nick (who played the same stuff as Eurogamer) independently had similar reactions.

Pedobear said:
You make so much sense. OMG, it's obvious that RE5 is racist. It has black enemies. The first fucking time a game has a majority of black enemies and cries of racism abound, while no one fucking raised a word about RE4 and it's redneck spaniards or Call Of Duty with it's murderous Japanese.

Tell you what, if a person sees any racism in RE5, they are the racists ones. And where would the problem be with your idea of a Canada RE? Because French people can't be zombies? The only people who would raise a ruckus are the Quebec left winged separatist media. Shit, I am separatist and I wouldn't give a fuck.

Do you even know about Canadian history and how French people were considered trash for years? How their parliament was burned by English folks lead by priests while firefighters didn't lift a finger? When churches told their people not to consider French Canadian there equal?

Do you think Africa's the only place that faced prejudice? Or that only black people can be discriminated against?

Dude, just stop now. You're in total "WHY DO THEY GET THEIR OWN COLLEGE FUND AND ENTERTAINMENT TELEVISION AND HISTORY MONTH" mode.

Red

Pedobear said:
So Chris showing stomping a white woman isn't sexism. But stomping a black woman is racist, got it. If the game shows any etnicity getting stomped it's okay but not the blacks that's racist. All right, I got the memo. Sorry if there was a misunderstanding here.
Did you read the article?

It's not about stomping zombies; it's about presenting Africans as savages even when they aren't infected.

Grow the fuck up.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Hmm...I'm curious as to what the scenes are.

Some people need to read the article, it seems...

edit:
You know who the unsung hero of the Resident Evil series is? The guy who moans "Resident Eeeeeevil" at the start of each game.

SO FUCKING TRUE!

Atrus

Gold Member
So... a white person cannot ever kill black people because of the cultural and historic overtones. Yet if a black man were to kill white people, it's okay.

Interesting how this perspective is only relevant to white or black people who are stuck in the past.

ultim8p00

Banned
Shockgamer said:
I've no doubt that like past RE5 racial discussions, this thread will become amazingly horrible.

I'd just like to say now, before this thread turns into something too digusting and depressing, that I think it's funny how there are people out there who will fight to have videogaming seen as a worthy art form or entertainment media -and it is, like books, music, movies and television- and then use the "it's just a game!" defense when a title is challenged on its content.

QFMFT!!!

Rolf NB

Second said:
I think I only saw one white zombie in the RE5 demo. He looks like an Iraqi.
He looks like Saddam Hussein, and he was all over the place when I played. The mix of basic enemies is probably randomized.

M.J. Doja

Banned
Pedobear said:

This is bout Canada now?

God this thread is going to be a clusterfuck.

Let me just put these two things out before I leave the thread.

I couldn't give a flying fuck what Capcom has to say about racism and africans in general.

I also don't give a flying fuck about what gaming journalists think about Africa and racism. There are a lot more enlightening things to read on the subject than some guy who is more worried about a video game portrayl than ACTUAL FUCKING GENOCIDES HAPPENING TO THIS DAY

<sigh>

TheCardPlayer

EmCeeGramr said:
Dude, just stop now. You're in total "WHY DO THEY GET THEIR OWN COLLEGE FUND AND ENTERTAINMENT TELEVISION AND HISTORY MONTH" mode.
Way to avoid answering the question there champ.

Atrus said:
So... a white person cannot ever kill black people because of the cultural and historic overtones. Yet if a black man were to kill white people, it's okay.

Interesting how this perspective is only relevant to white or black people who are stuck in the past.
holy shit

we have entered the high school philosopher zone

Askia47

Oldschoolgamer said:
Hmm...I'm curious as to what the scenes are.

Some people need to read the article, it seems...

Same, it does sound a bit overblown to me. I doubt its as bad as it reads.

Teknoman

Igo said:
Lighter is better? :D Just kidding, please don't throw me to the wolves.

Anyway, Obama won, I thought racism was over?

Nope, as long as people even experience racism within their own race, it'll never die.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Chris Remo said:
We're putting up an Idle Thumbs preview segment within the hour, and Nick (who played the same stuff as Eurogamer) independently had similar reactions.
Looking forward to this.

Pedobear said:
Way to avoid answering the question there champ.
Here's the answer:

A) this is much closer to discrimination against blacks by corresponding much more closely to specific stereotypes.
B) it is downright intellectually dishonest and ignorant to compare anti-black racism to anti-French racism

Majmun

I remember COD4's intro being pretty crazy too and potraiting middle-eastern as a savage place too.

Was there any commotion about that? I don't remember...

Shouta

h3ro said:
What the hell is this shit? Ughh...

It's an impression/impersonation show where comedians and famous Japanese people do their best to look and/or perform as someone. In the case of the Obama video, he's making fun of Obama's catchphrases by also using Japanese puns. The Louie is surprisingly good considering the guy is Japanese. I assume he's lip-syncing to a track of Louie (can't recall even though I watched the program when it aired) but if he isn't, that's pretty damn impressive.

These are hardly evidence of racism against blacks in Japan. There IS racism but this isn't an example as they do it to everyone. You should see the Bruce Willis they had...

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
Pedobear said:

Tell you what, if a person sees any racism in RE5, they are the racists ones. And where would the problem be with your idea of a Canada RE? Because French people can't be zombies?

Why doesn't Far Cry 2 have threads that go on for pages and pages about the racism in Far Cry 2? It's not as big as Resident Evil but it's sold well over a million copies.

The problem with Canada RE edition would be that it's playing on stereotypes held by the majority of the population. That French speaking Canadians are bad people that want to take over Canada.

It's not racist to make zombies African or French Canadian, the problem is in how they're portrayed in the game.

firex

RoboPlato said:
If you want to research it, she's kind of like the "tragic mulatto" stereotype used in a lot of african american plays in the late 19th/early 20th century. I'm sure she doesn't quite fit the same role, but the idea of a beautiful light-skinned black girl whose parentage is implied to be a mix of black/white is still kind of seen as the "acceptable" way to create an empathetic black character for audiences who don't know/don't care about black people.

M.J. Doja

Banned
BudokaiMR2 said:
God this thread is going to be a clusterfuck.

Let me just put these two things out before I leave the thread.

I couldn't give a flying fuck what Capcom has to say about racism and africans in general.

I also don't give a flying fuck about what gaming journalists think about Africa and racism. There are a lot more enlightening things to read on the subject than some guy who is more worried about a video game portrayl than ACTUAL FUCKING GENOCIDES HAPPENING TO THIS DAY

<sigh>

Some people do give a flying fuck etc.

Don't speak on it then, is my suggestion.

Atrus said:

did I not call that shit or what...

TheCardPlayer

EmCeeGramr said:
Here's the answer:

A) this is much closer to discrimination against blacks by corresponding much more closely to specific stereotypes.
B) it is downright intellectually dishonest and ignorant to compare anti-black racism to anti-French racism
So you are telling me that racism against blacks is worse than discrimination against French speakers in Canada?

That some types of discrimination can be more okay than other types? That's it's more okay to discriminate against some people than others?

You are racist, aren't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom