• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer has Deus Ex 3 blowout

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Endless said:
xx0hkq.jpg
day 1, just for this.. :lol :lol

epmode

bhlaab said:
Hacking minigame, talking minigame. Great.
The hacking thing I'm not too worried about (especially after hearing about the Uplink comparison) but that conversation stuff is setting off red flags. I'm having flashbacks to that garbage system in Oblivion. Gonna need a video.

garath

epmode said:
The hacking thing I'm not too worried about (especially after hearing about the Uplink comparison) but that conversation stuff is setting off red flags. I'm having flashbacks to that garbage system in Oblivion. Gonna need a video.

Uplink is awesome. If the hacking is like that, I will be a fan.

Hopefully they integrate it in a meaningful way though. Move away from the "mini-game" feel and make it more of a game mechanic. i.e. Instead of running around a building, initiating little hacking events at doors and turret controls and the like, make your way to the central terminal of the building and hack it there, trying to avoid the AI anti-hacking measures and eventually gaining access to all or part of the system. That way it becomes a choice. Do you take the risk of hacking the building's systems for the benefit of opening certain doors and controlling/shutting down security measures or do you try to sneak/fight your way in without it.

I don't like the idea of "verbal sparring" but I'm with you on needing to see it in action. Just because I can't visualize it doesn't mean it might not be cool.

O.DOGG

Just about everything in this game sounds cool but I'm worried about the conversations. What is this verbal sparring anyway? I'll have to see it in action before I can make a decision.

squicken

Wow that sounds like it may just be great. I want to see gameplay before getting too excited, as these guys really have no track record.

I'm also glad to see the Bush pic. I think developers need to be less safe in tackling controversial subject matter, and stop hiding behind ridiculous disclaimers like Assassin's Creed. Show the world what you believe.

Decado

This doesn't actually sound that bad. We'll have to wait and see if they can pull it off.

Man, even discounting all the games I want to try that are currently out, there is an awful lot of titles I'm at least somewhat interested in coming out in 2010/11. I love this stage of the console lifespan.

EDIT: There will be a PC version, right? Hopefully they don't nerf the modding community. A lot of the little details I'll be counting on probably won't make it into the retail game.

O.DOGG said:
What is this verbal sparring anyway?

"You can't fight ideas with bullets!"

[ SELECT RESPONSE ]
> YOU CAN'T FIGHT BULLETS WITH IDEAS
> HOW APPROPRIATE, YOU FIGHT LIKE A COW
> WHAT CAN CHANGE THE NATURE OF A MAN?

Timber

gotta have respect for a sense of purism so strong that it's able to perceive dumbing down of mechanics that were never smart to begin with. the hacking and lockpicking in DE1 was all instant success toddler's play-- items strewn all over the place until the player's only meaningful decision becomes "shall i use one of my thirty lockpicks or one of my forty multitools?"

Spookie

MrNyarlathotep said:

[ SELECT RESPONSE ]

:lol

:lol at the Bush pic too.

Seriously though it sounds awesome. I WANT TO BELIEVE DAMN IT. :(

MrNyarlathotep said:

[ SELECT RESPONSE ]

:lol

My favorite part of Monkey Island, easily.

mr_nothin

Banned
duckroll said:
Simple: there are no such things as official megathreads anymore, aside from discussion threads for games which are released. Any major preview, new trailers, announcements, etc should be a new thread. If interest in a game is very low, it's possible to keep bumping a thread posting news of course, as long as the thread is small.

Once a news thread goes beyond a few hundred replies, it's common sense to post a new thread if there's something noteworthy, because some people don't follow big threads or won't click on a bumped thread that says "New screenshots for Doom 5" if they previously already read that thread. So if someone bumps it with an announcement of a demo, or a new trailer, that would be lost to some people and a waste.

Hope that clears some stuff up.
Yay, kinda like how GAF used to be. I support this change!

Jenga

Banned
"Number 1"

[ SELECT RESPONSE ]
> That's Terror
> That's Terror
> That's Terror

"Number 2"

[ SELECT RESPONSE ]
> That's Terror
> That's Terror
> That's Terror

MrNyarlathotep said:

[ SELECT RESPONSE ]

Extra credit for the Planescape torment option! :D

GONz

The setting looks quite good, but then I'm cautiously hyped due to the uncertainty on the hacking, skills, dialogue mechanics. Eidos, don't fuck up!

Bear

I was worried about this game but it looks like it's shaping up pretty nicely so far. It sounds like the cities are going to have a similar level of detail to the first game, which is absolutely essential for this game, and they're scrapping that terrible universal ammo idea from IW. The screens are a little too yellow (though the new ones don't look too bad) and I'm not fond of regenerating health, but I have to say I'm actually getting kind of excited at the prospect of a new Deus Ex in the vein of the first game.

God I hope they don't screw this up.

Im sort of excited for this after seeing the awesome trailer. Have to say the voice actor for the lead is too badass.

Atmospherically kinda of reminds of upper class midgar from FF7 meets Blade Runner.

Bush picture is awesome. They better not remove that from the final version of the game. Also, I'm kinda curious how skills are embedded into augmentations. I don't get much use out of augmentations in Deus Ex, only really using ballistic protection and power recirculator, so I doubt I would mind the change, but if skills and augmentations were already consolidated in Deus Ex IW, how did it work?

ColonelColon said:
Bush picture is awesome. They better not remove that from the final version of the game. Also, I'm kinda curious how skills are embedded into augmentations. I don't get much use out of augmentations in Deus Ex, only really using ballistic protection and power recirculator, so I doubt I would mind the change, but if skills and augmentations were already consolidated in Deus Ex IW, how did it work?

They weren't consolidated in IW. With the exception of hacking (which went from being item/skill based in DX to a "power" in IW) they were just gone.

~Kinggi~

Banned
After that preview, the hype train has left the station. This shall be glorious.

Edit: They have been working on this for 5 years now? In the preview one of the devs says the lead kinda sounds like Christian Bale's Batman, but not as bad, and they say they dont think Batman was out when they were casting the roles.

Damn the preview and the interviews seems to have been written for hype...and it's working. Hope seeing the game in motion lives up to it. And after reading the details about the visual design of this game, I'm already lusting to see it.

dzi2dg.jpg

Hype 10/10

So Shanghai and Detroid will be big hubs with places to travel and missions/sub-missions available at certain locations? O____________________________O

I'm dying for another Blade Runner/Cyberpunk game. With great graphics this will be a glory to see.

Wallach

HK-47 said:
Inevitable, sadly.

I agree about the inevitable part, but... personally I think this game needs it. *shrug*

By "this game" I mean the original and not the other one that never actually happened.

MrNyarlathotep said:
I'm cautiously optimistic, but am pretty much resigned to seeing a transition similar to system shock -> bioshock.

a little late to that one. Invisible war made it so that any indication of rpg elements would be a major step up.

Cep

Banned
subversus said:
Nothing sad about it. SS2 was clunky and Deus Ex 1 was too. That's necessary evil for all old PC games.

smh

I do agree that they were sort of clunky, but dumbing them down is not the answer.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Cep said:
smh

I do agree that they were sort of clunky, but dumbing them down is not the answer.

I have seen nothing of dumbing down yet. If you're talking about stats-based shooting that's what was so clunky in Deus Ex. They did it because it was impossible with old days tech to make slow combat enjoyable. Quake 1,2,3 - yes, ok. But slow combat always felt boring because of lack of physics, proper weapon handling, graphics and dyanmic environments. Stat-based shooting in Fallout 3 is awful as well and don't get me started on Alpha Protocol shooting implementation.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
subversus said:
Nothing sad about it. SS2 was clunky and Deus Ex 1 was too. That's necessary evil for all old PC games.

Dumbing down and polishing/fixing are not remotely similar. And people arent talking about the shooting.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
HK-47 said:
Dumbing down and polishing/fixing are not remotely similar. And people arent talking about the shooting.

Hm, and what some people didn't like this time? I'm genuinely curious.

Wallach

Cep said:
smh

The problem I have is that whenever things get simplified in any way it's seen as "dumbing down". Especially when talking about older games like this. There's a lot of elements in Deus Ex that can be refined and it's going to involve some trimming, and I just don't necessarily see that as a bad thing. In Bioshock's case, yeah, it was probably too much because they took out perfectly valid gameplay mechanics instead of repurposing them in a better fashion. But Deus Ex was a much "wider" game than even System Shock 2, and some of it was so granular that it didn't have much of any purpose. I just want to see stuff like that streamlined.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Just so we know what we are talking about here, you mean taking out multitool or turning gameplay mechanics into minigames is trimming and streamlining not dumbing down for the plebeian console lead SKU?

FirewalkR

Yesterday I had a horrible nightmare!!!!

I dreamed that Deus Ex Human Revolution was Ubisoft's and I was actually starting to consider getting it (knowing that PC is the only option) despite Ubi's abhorrent DRM scheme. It was such a relief when all of a sudden I remembered it was Eidos/SE's...

But to think I actually considered giving in to Ubi's idiocy... even for the great looking true sequel to the Best Game of All Time...

I feel dirty now.

Top Bottom