• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer has Deus Ex 3 blowout

Okay, big blowout on Eurogamer as follows:

Preview - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/deus-ex-human-revolution-preview?page=1

Fan Service Extras - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/deus-ex-fan-service-article?page=1

Interview with Jean-Francois Dugas - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/eidos-montreals-jean-francois-dugas-interview

All missions have multi-path solutions. It's not once in a while - it's all of them.

It's not Fallout big, don't get me wrong, but there are a lot of streets, back alleys, rooftops, building interiors, sewers, conduits... There's a lot to explore.

The thing is while you're doing A you can come across something, and can hack it and shut it down. If you do that then right away one of your colleagues will call you and ask, "Jensen, what did you just do?" You say: "I don't know. There was this switch and I shut it off."

But as you progress and do the other objectives it becomes clear that what you've already switched off is actually the final objective for the map - only you did it at the start. So basically we support players that maybe go left when they're meant to go right, when it makes sense, as much as we can.

You can go left or right, there are streets and buildings to explore. There are people to meet who have side-quests. You can find weapon dealers that are hidden here and there. You can expand your experience outside of the critical path of mission objectives. I actually think the maps that we have are a little bit bigger than the one's we're talking about in Deus Ex 1

We didn't go into Multitools because we wanted to make hacking more prevalent. So we decided that all the unlocking of things like that is done through hacking. As for proximity mines we have different templates where you can put different types of item together - you can attach one grenade to a mine template and stick it on walls and things like that. We have other things that are similar to what's been before too, like the meds and some of the nutrients

We have gas grenades, we have frag grenades... we have a few others

we're going more with a full cast of weapons. All of them have their unique abilities - so there's a range of lethal weapons and a range of non-lethal weapons. And it's not universal ammo: it's a specific ammo for each

There are two kinds of takedown - you can kill the guy, or stun the guy. If you hold onto your trigger, you'll kill him. If you tap the trigger once, you'll stun the guy. With the guns, we have over 15 of them in the game - and most support stealth in combat. And yes, we do have tranquilisers

On the hacking mini-game:

The goal here is that you have a network: you start at a node and you have to reach your target. There is a mainframe though - which can detect you through the network and will start to retrace you. I don't know if you know a game called Uplink [made by Introversion, the creators of Darwinia] but we're using a similar approach

On conversations and verbal sparring:

You need information, and you have to read the character in front of you to deliver the right response to continue, and win the round. You have three rounds, he will have three counter-attacks. You can succeed, fail or have a neutral response. If you restart the conversation, it will move on to a completely different one. You can't learn the path. It's complex to code, very complex!

tl;dr - Hype +100

Pooya

Gallery lots of new pics.
The Pilot
ss_preview_4.jpg.jpg

ss_preview_dx_hr_screenshot_metro_station.jpg.jpg

Wiggum2007

LabouredSubterfuge said:

Whether or not it ends up being on the same level of the original, this is still shaping up to be an awesome Deus Ex sequel. Never thought I'd see the day where I could say that.

duckroll

Guys, MAKE NEW THREADS. Megathreads are going the way of the dinosaur. Eventually, they'll just start getting locked completely.

duckroll said:
Guys, MAKE NEW THREADS. Megathreads are going the way of the dinosaur. Eventually, they'll just start getting locked completely.

Ah, cheers man, will do in future. Oooh you've already done it - double thanks!

Kade

duckroll said:

What's the criteria for making a new thread instead of adding the info to an Official (Mega)Thread?

EDIT: Just saw EviLore's post. Makes sense.

duckroll

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Ah, cheers man, will do in future. Oooh you've already done it - double thanks!

Yeah I've been trying to move news buried in large older threads into new threads lately. It really helps everyone get news faster and better when new stuff are not buried in a 30 page threads. Thanks.

duckroll

dygiT said:
What's the criteria for making a new thread instead of adding the info to an Official (Mega)Thread?

Simple: there are no such things as official megathreads anymore, aside from discussion threads for games which are released. Any major preview, new trailers, announcements, etc should be a new thread. If interest in a game is very low, it's possible to keep bumping a thread posting news of course, as long as the thread is small.

Once a news thread goes beyond a few hundred replies, it's common sense to post a new thread if there's something noteworthy, because some people don't follow big threads or won't click on a bumped thread that says "New screenshots for Doom 5" if they previously already read that thread. So if someone bumps it with an announcement of a demo, or a new trailer, that would be lost to some people and a waste.

Hope that clears some stuff up.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Quicksilva said:
I think I need to go and play the original. I have it on steam but never got around to playing it.
Do it. Honestly the first mission is a bit of a drag but keep playing.

Deus Ex was one of those games that bored me at first, but after going back later on and slugging through the intro, I was hooked.

1-D_FTW

duckroll said:
Simple: there are no such things as official megathreads anymore, aside from discussion threads for games which are released. Any major preview, new trailers, announcements, etc should be a new thread. If interest in a game is very low, it's possible to keep bumping a thread posting news of course, as long as the thread is small.

Once a news thread goes beyond a few hundred replies, it's common sense to post a new thread if there's something noteworthy, because some people don't follow big threads or won't click on a bumped thread that says "New screenshots for Doom 5" if they previously already read that thread. So if someone bumps it with an announcement of a demo, or a new trailer, that would be lost to some people and a waste.

Hope that clears some stuff up.

:lol I actually thought your first post in this thread was sarcasm. I guess the new policy makes a LOT of sense, but it's the exact opposite of what was once preached. It's understandable some us haven't caught on yet.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
1-D_FTW said:
:lol I actually thought your first post in this thread was sarcasm. I guess the new policy makes a LOT of sense, but it's the exact opposite of what was once preached. It's understandable some us haven't caught on yet.
Yup, i dont make new threads because i know that some one will say 'Really? Is that thread worthy? T__T'
And i will get depressed :(

Akuun said:
Do it. Honestly the first mission is a bit of a drag but keep playing.

Deus Ex was one of those games that bored me at first, but after going back later on and slugging through the intro, I was hooked.

Cool stuff, installing it now!

Darklord

Banned
Wait, not fallout big? Is this game open world? Or do they mean the missions are more open?

God damn. Why did I read that? I'm getting hyped now. I don't want to be burned again. Not again. :'(

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
And, to be honest with you, it's something that might reach a larger audience too - through being spectacular and giving reward it's a little less 'hardcore gamer'."

And just like that the pendulum swings back to super cynical. I guess I'm still fourteen. :\

Looks like they're going to nail the atmosphere and multi-path solutions, but the actual mechanics sound seriously dumbed down to me.

No multitools so all unlocking is done through the hacking minigame. I don't care how awesome you think your minigame is, it will become a tedious chore at worst and an annoyance at best. I take it to mean there isn't any standard lockpicking or bypassing cameras either.

Probably the most offensive thing is the removal of the skill system. I dare say these guys really don't get what made Deus Ex the game it was.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Confidence Man said:
Looks like they're going to nail the atmosphere and multi-path solutions, but the actual mechanics sound seriously dumbed down to me.

No multitools so all unlocking is done through the hacking minigame. I don't care how awesome you think your minigame is, it will become a tedious chore at worst and an annoyance at best. I take it to mean there isn't any standard lockpicking or bypassing cameras either.

Probably the most offensive thing is the removal of the skill system. I dare say these guys really don't get what made Deus Ex the game it was.

hype levels depleted. ;_;

Confidence Man said:

There is lockpicking. Bypassing cameras (I'm guessing) is done by hacking.

The skill system is implemented within augmentations therefore you need to purchase an augmentation witth money then you need to use XP to unlock your chosen skill path within that particular augmentation. Sounds fine to me on paper.

Edit: Are you annoyed that shooting et al will be player-skill based rather than a more Alpha Protocol based approach? I personally need to play Deus Ex again because I can't remember what the skill system was like.

Jenga

Banned
vocab said:
Regenerating health says no.
It has been said it would take up bio-energy before. I don't know, if they actually bother to manage it appropriately, then it would be fine. I'm not expecting DX1 here, but I do expect regen health at the cost of all the other shit you could use Bio-energy for.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Verbal sparring sounds way too gamey for a conversation system. Like taking the sparring too literally.

Jenga

Banned
Wizman23 said:
Can someone give me the 5th grade summary of what type of game this is? The screen shots make it look like an FPS.
Deus Ex is a tactical third-person shooter in the same vein as Duke Nukem 3D

Rad-

Man I'm having a good feeling about this. :D Still trying to be as cautious as possible but it's definitely starting to sound like a proper entry in the series.

evangd007

All this material makes me think that Eidos Montreal actually understands what, deep down, made Deus Ex good. In an age when new games superficially copy classics without understanding the underlying features that made them classics, this is heartening. Hype+

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
glad shooting is player-skill based. if you're not going to go turn based, go full on real time. none of this mass effect / alpha protocol stuff.

game looks like love... neo-victorian cyberpunk in shanghai? reminds me of

diamond_age_hc.jpg

syllogism said:
Looks like concept art so hopefully the actual game won't have nonsense like that

yeah, the world of deus ex is savvy enough to realize that Americans always forgive their presidents for being mass murdering war criminals, it goes back to the 1800s

Jenga

Banned
jon bones said:
glad shooting is player-skill based. if you're not going to go turn based, go full on real time. none of this mass effect / alpha protocol stuff.
Um, have you never played Deus Ex?

I think every Deus Ex fan would have a fucking heart-attack if it was like that :lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jenga said:
even the conversations are a mini-game!

Who wants to bet it gets old and isnt nearly as compelling as a well written argument, debate or interrogation?

Top Bottom