• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Level-5 trying to make a Layton game work on Switch

Nintendo needs to hand out official "only works in handheld mode" stickers.

Couldn't they do touch with the IR pointer? I'd hope for handheld only, but I don't see why IR presents an issue if the puzzles are designed for it.

Not sure if serious.
Challenges and churn for franchises heavily reliant on the 3DS paradigm were completely expected. Layton is one of the prime examples. Others are Puzzle & Dragons, Etrian Odyssey, Phoenix Wright.

If your games transition to mobile easier than to the followup platform, it's not always the developers' fault. Nintendo wanted a clean cut and they got it.

It's a legitimate problem that I've been thinking about for a while, but it's a good thing they're at least trying. Hopefully they can make it work. Joy-Con for pointing might not be as intuitive, but it should at least suffice on paper.

It's part of why I've been wanting Capcom to announce they've got an Ace Attorney port for the Switch or the like in the works. Without someone jumping in to show how to translate handheld experiences from the DS/3DS line to the Switch, I wonder if smaller franchises best suited to handhelds will just slowly disappear from lack of place in the console space.

Nintendo needs to hand out official "only works in handheld mode" stickers.

Couldn't they do touch with the IR pointer? I'd hope for handheld only, but I don't see why IR presents an issue if the puzzles are designed for it.

Probably the biggest issue in pointer controls, though it's the most obvious solution here, is a loss in precision and fluidity. For example, a game like Puzzle & Dragon relies on being able to shift pieces in one motion quickly. That works in touch controls - so long as your hand doesn't slip you can guide it where you want with good accuracy. With pointer controls, the correlation of motion to the result onscreen is not 1:1, which means greater leniency is needed. So the experience might not be as good as with a touchscreen.

But then, the experience would at least be there, where right now it's looking to be 'not at all'

squall23

Focus on one game at a time, Hino. I'm still waiting to see how you'll get a traditional Inazuma Eleven game working for Switch.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I just want to continue where Unwound Future left off.
But dunno I have to play the lady layton thing first maybe it makes me feel differently.

Would a Sherlock Holmes: Crime & Punishment approach work for Professor Layton? Essentially, make it into a quasi third person adventure game where character movement is designed solely to get from one clue/puzzle to the next, and the puzzles themselves only require button/control-stick input. Granted, a change of this magnitude would mark a significant shift in the Professor Layton formula but nevertheless the presentation, aesthetics, and theme would remain intact.

Oregano

Not sure if serious.
Challenges and churn for franchises heavily reliant on the 3DS paradigm were completely expected. Layton is one of the prime examples. Others are Puzzle & Dragons, Etrian Odyssey, Phoenix Wright.

If your games transition to mobile easier than to the followup platform, it's not always the developers' fault. Nintendo wanted a clean cut and they got it.

Even if you accept that as true Level 5 has a whole bunch of other IPs and create new ones all the time but they have nothing for Switch. They have more PS4 games announced at the moment.

Santar

Just use the stick to control the pointer whIle docked. That's how I played Layton vs Phoenix Wright, worked just fine.

grim-tales

Now I want to hear the same from Capcom in regards to Ace Attorney.

Would Ace Attorney work as a Telltale style game? The DS/3DS games are great.
Having said that I was thinking about VN/ZE style games too, and we know the direction they've gone (if ZTD is anything to go by). They could work on Switch too.

test_account

XP-39C²
We already have confirmation that a mainline Pokemon RPG is in development for the Switch, maybe we should wait to see if that's Stars before condemning Eurogamer?
That seems unlikely, in my opinion. Stars was suppose to be the "sister/2nd" version of Sun/Moon, in the same vein as Platinum was to Diamond/Pearl. The next Pokemon game will probably be the next big game, not related to Sun/Moon.

Top Bottom