• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Nintendo discontinues NES Mini in Europe, too

PSFan

Why didn't they just say that upon announcement? This release has been inconsiderate of their customers on a variety of levels.

And I don't know why you're moving the goalposts here. My response was defending the claim that his question was the result of some "fanboy delusion". Your defense of Nintendo's business choices in this case come of as plenty more delusional than his asking for a link to a previous statement about its limited nature (a statement they never gave, I might add).

Yes, that's exactly what I and others meant. Nintendo gave no indication that the Mini would be limited. And if that was the case, they should have said it up front and allowed preorders.

I don't even want one of these things, but it just annoys the hell out of me when Nintendo pulls this crap.

Celine

Why didn't they just say that upon announcement? This release has been inconsiderate of their customers on a variety of levels.

And I don't know why you're moving the goalposts here. My response was defending the claim that his question was the result of some "fanboy delusion". Your defense of Nintendo's business choices in this case come of as plenty more delusional than his asking for a link to a previous statement about its limited nature.
Can NES Classic discontinuation despite still being in huge demand be part of a business decision from Nintendo?
I would say yes and have already expressed my considerations about it in other threads.

I don't agree with labeling as "fanboy delusions" any guess on what were the real motives behind it.

EDIT:
My response to him wasn't meant to label his post as "fanboy delusion", I replied with the same term he introduced because the link demonstrate that the NES Classic was always planned as a short-lived venture.
What Nintendo didn't planned well at all was the real high demand behind the it.

ramparter

Banned
Why do these companies not simply re release the original NES, SNES. These consoles would sell millions for sure. Hell why not reprint some NES cartridges as well. People would go nuts and buy these retro consoles in brand new condition. I would pay top $$ to have a brand new real NES and SNES.
Its not cheap to manufacture such obsolete technology. Would have to sell several millions to be worth it.

Can NES Classic discontinuation despite still being in huge demand be part of a business decision from Nintendo?
I would say yes and have already expressed my considerations about it in other threads.

If this isn't practically the definition of a business decision, I don't know what is.

Thanks for clarifying the details of the discussion...
but let's be honest, unless this is being limited by design so that bringing it back or something similar looks like an act of heroism at some later time (see: the Disney Vault approach referenced earlier in the thread), or just to build mindshare in their holiday lull, then there is pretty much no reason for them to discontinue this item at this time. Those Android-friendly parts are all readily available.

My hope is that next calendar year (since the rest of this year is ruled out) they decide to reissue it, even if they reconfigure the game library on it some.

Not

Banned
I honestly think they're embarrassed by this being in demand for some reason. Like they don't want "legacy consoles" to be a thing.

PSFan

Its not cheap to manufacture such obsolete technology. Would have to sell several millions to be worth it.

They aren't manufacturing actual NES components, they are flashing a NES emulator and ROMs onto a chip and putting it in a plastic replica NES casing.

They aren't manufacturing actual NES components, they are flashing a NES emulator and ROMs onto a chip and putting it in a plastic replica NES casing.
You're replying to a chain talking about reproducing original NES hardware with original tech and a cart slot.

bill0527

Nintendo stands to make more money off of each Switch sold, so it's unsurprising that they're shifting focus to the Switch instead.

What's there to address? The NES Classic wasn't ever meant to be a long-running platform of any kind. It was a holiday gift item they used to plug the hole left by the Wii U's failure and do a bit of Nintendo brand marketing prior to the Switch's launch.

If Nintendo gave a shit about their customers they would have opened up widespread pre-orders (at least here in the US), filled those orders, then sold off whatever X amount they want to sell off in their 'limited supply' run.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but at least with other limited edition Nintendo items in the past, you're at least given the option to pre-order, even if its a limited window to pre-order or a short supply of pre-orders.

Metroxed

In my experience, in both Spain and Portugal, there was usually quite a lot of stock. I remember seeing full shelves in El Corte Inglés of Lisbon as well in quite a few fnac and MediaMarkts, so I cannot say I personally experiences any shortages with the product.

Any who pays scalper pieces for this thing is an idiot. There are so many alternatives to getting old school games on your tv.

My custom Raspberry Pi shits on this thing.

PSFan

You're replying to a chain talking about reproducing original NES hardware with original tech and a cart slot.

Oh my bad, sorry. Even so though, doesn't the Retron have a NES cart slot and play NES carts? It only costs 20 bucks, so it can't cost that much to reproduce.

Any who pays scalper pieces for this thing is an idiot. There are so many alternatives to getting old school games on your tv.

My custom Raspberry Pi shits on this thing.

Yeah this. It's ridiculous to pay more than retail for this thing. It's just not worth that much.

Oh my bad, sorry. Even so though, doesn't the Retron have a NES cart slot and play NES carts? It only costs 20 bucks, so it can't cost that much to reproduce.

It's not 1:1 in all cases and struggles with certain carts like DuckTales, Paperboy, and on some clones, Castlevania III. The even bigger downer with the cheaper clones at the moment keeping their chips from being ready for Nintendo-published prime time is that they cannot output to crisp, clear HDMI.

Celine

If this isn't practically the definition of a business decision, I don't know what is.
Yeah :)
I edited a bit the post to explain better why i quoted PSFan.

Thanks for clarifying the details of the discussion...
but let's be honest, unless this is being limited by design so that bringing it back or something similar looks like an act of heroism at some later time (see: the Disney Vault approach referenced earlier in the thread), or just to build mindshare in their holiday lull, then there is pretty much no reason for them to discontinue this item at this time. Those Android-friendly parts are all readily available.

My hope is that next calendar year (since the rest of this year is ruled out) they decide to reissue it, even if they reconfigure the game library on it some.
I don't think manufacturing problems nor piracy are the reasons why Nintendo halted production.
As you noted NES Classic uses standard components and piracy is of little importance when you are already including the best-selling games in the package.
Like you I don't expect any new stocks or NES Classic revision this year and maybe not even in the near future (maybe in another in between generation lull?).
One thing is sure if NES Classic was a product by AtGames (well yeah it would be shoddier and lack any third-party game) we would still see new stocks being produced for years, with new revisions hitting each holiday season.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Were you not mostly positive about it in the DF video when you were reviewing it? Anyway there is one on Croatian site for 900HRk which is around 130Euros if anyone is interested
https://www.svijet-medija.hr/art/igraca-konzola-nintendo-classic-mini-nes/76231
Well...that's the thing, I'm really picky about how I play retro games but my preferences are not realistic for most people. Soooo, it's not really fair to hold it to that standard.

As a simple and easy way to play NES, it's pretty good. If it had been widely available, I would say it makes a great gift or way to enjoy the classics.

...but if you're really after accuracy and the best picture quality, it definitely falls short. Sound emulation isn't great and the video output options are limited.

The Analogue Nt Mini is an infinitely superior product...but also much more expensive. That is, until you see the crazy prices some people are selling the NES Mini for. The Nt Mini is a much better purchase for enthusiasts, I think.

Top Bottom