• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Nintendo Switch to get Pokémon Sun and Moon third version: Pokemon Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dystify

Codename: Pokémon Stars. Launching later in 2017. This is a third version following Pokémon Sun/Moon, similar to what Yellow was to Red/Blue. Exclusively for Nintendo Switch. No 3DS version.

Multiple sources tell Eurogamer the game is already well into development, will launch in 2017, and currently holds the codename of Pokémon Stars.

Earlier generations of Pokémon games have featured a third title launched later with expanded features - Pokémon Yellow followed Game Boy originals Red and Blue to start this trend, which continued through until Pokémon Platinum followed Diamond and Pearl on DS.

With Pokémon Stars, this idea will be revived - but for the first time we'll see the mainline Pokémon series spanning separate Nintendo consoles within the same generation of games.

Indeed, Switch will be the first Nintendo "home" console to receive a main Pokémon adventure. It only took 20 years.

Nintendo's new 3DS duo Sun and Moon, available today in North America and Japan or next week in Europe, have shared much of their development with their Switch bigger brother.

As you might expect, Pokémon Stars is being developed by the Sun and Moon team at Game Freak, the studio behind all main Pokémon games since the series' Game Boy beginnings.

In fact, you may have already seen something from the Switch version. Sun and Moon's February reveal teaser culminates in split-second shots of Game Freak staff such as series boss Junichi Masuda and director Shigeru Ohmori working on Sun and Moon spliced with quick flashes of in-game concept art and models, including this HD in-game model for new bird Pokémon Pikipek. We've heard this is for the Switch edition:

vna1ul5.png

This parallel development structure has allowed the work-in-progress Pokémon Stars to already feature working versions of Sun and Moon content. I'm told that GameFreak largely paused work on the Switch version a couple of months ago to polish Sun and Moon in time for their launch this month, but that work on Stars will now resume with the development of features not found in the 3DS versions.

Pokémon Stars' development shouldn't be seen as taking anything away from Sun and Moon's launch - this is how all third entries in the Pokémon franchise are developed.

And there will be reason to play both: Pokémon will be tradable between Sun/Moon and Stars via the Pokémon Box app. We've also heard suggestion there will be more creatures to collect in the Switch version, although not all of our sources could confirm this.

Expect the Switch version of Sun and Moon to feature the same map - the same routes and cities - and the same art style, although be built using separate, higher-resolution assets.

It may be some time before Stars releases, however. We heard the game was initially a summer 2017 launch for Nintendo Switch, but has since been pushed back to later in the year.

More at the link:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-18-nintendo-switch-will-get-pokemon-sun-and-moon-version

"In fact, you may have already seen something from the Switch version. Sun and Moon's February reveal teaser culminates in split-second shots of Game Freak staff such as series boss Junichi Masuda and director Shigeru Ohmori working on Sun and Moon spliced with quick flashes of in-game concept art and models, including this HD in-game model for new bird Pokémon Pikipek. We've heard this is for the Switch edition:"

Doesn't sounds like its making it for launch but this is exciting!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
First Switch year will be nuts - especially for people who skipped WiiU and/or 3DS.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
"In fact, you may have already seen something from the Switch version. Sun and Moon's February reveal teaser culminates in split-second shots of Game Freak staff such as series boss Junichi Masuda and director Shigeru Ohmori working on Sun and Moon spliced with quick flashes of in-game concept art and models, including this HD in-game model for new bird Pokémon Pikipek. We've heard this is for the Switch edition:"

Doesn't sounds like its making it for launch but this is exciting!

And people kept saying the reason the 3DS pokemon ran bad was because the pokemon models had so many polygons so they would be future proof. So much for that :lol.

13ruce

Banned
MEGATON, Pokemon on a home console sort of!!!! Omg yes:D Mainline Pokemon on TV! Switch redeemed now with it having all new Nintendo games on one machine my dream came true.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
NOW we start to speak.
A HUGE step in the right direction, a.k.a. actually merge the home and portable lineups.
Good job N if true.

Now, everything will be in the quality assets hands.

This and a new Mario RPG are what I wanted to hear about Switch to give me back hopes about the system.

Well sheeeeeeeet.

Kinda weird to see a third version of a Pokemon generation on a separate console from the other two. Black and White 2 came out for DS in 2012 well after the 3DS launched, for example.

Nice. GF finally got a console generation change done quickly.

Unusual that they will change console generation in the middle of a Pokémon generation though.

orioto

Good Art™
Well, ok now we can be confident, everything will be fine for the switch
if they release a smaller version in Japan

oti

Banned
NOW we start to speak.
A HUGE step in the right direction, a.k.a. actually merge the home and portable lineups.
Good job N if true.

Now, everything will be in the quality assets hands.

This and a new Mario RPG are what I wanted to hear about Switch to give me back hopes about the system.

Our long national nightmare is over.

El Capitan is ok now.

You're nuts man. What if it's a sequal??

Even if it's still the same region with the same routes and the same buildings?

I'm in.

This probably means I'll have to buy two Switches, one for me and another one for my girlfriend.

My poor, poor wallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom