• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Nintendo Switch to get Pokémon Sun and Moon third version: Pokemon Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordKano

Models are probably gonna be literally the same. Pokémon ones at least.
I expect enviroments and most of the textures to receive all the work.

I'd say new shaders and lighting should be a given as well but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they save those for the next Pokémon game made especifically for the Switch just for the Wow! factor.

All the models will stay the same as they already are high quality ones, they just will add the black borders that are missing in the mock-up video.

The "only" thing they would have to change are the assets, but since the game releases a full year later and that the Switch version was in the work since quite some time, improvements like lightning, shaders, more effects wouldn't surprise me.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Someone turned that mockup of the UI for Pokemon Stars into video form. It looks fantastic.

https://youtu.be/ZzOYr-wxJ_A?t=949

It's honestly absurd how good Pokémon looks when it's rendered at a higher resolution, considering the specs of the 3DS. Given how much more powerful Switch is rumored to be compared to 3DS, I think we're in for a treat with Pokémon Stars, even if all they do is what an emulator does.

Is that about what should be expected graphically for Stars? I remember seeing something about how they have been making HD Pokémon models for a while.

Ehh, not quite. Models won't change much, but Sun and Moon have awful quality textures. I assume they had to scale things down massively to get it to run on 3DS, so I would expect to see much higher resolution textures on Switch. Then again, this is Game Freak we're talking about, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Roo

All the models will stay the same as they already are high quality ones, they just will add the black borders that are missing in the mock-up video.

The "only" thing they would have to change are the assets, but since the game releases a full year later and that the Switch version was in the work since quite some time, improvements like lightning, shaders, more effects wouldn't surprise me.

Arent outlines just there to make the characters easier to see and stand out on the area they are due to the shit 3DS screen? In HD and with all the potential visual improvements it seems like something unnecessary. If anything, an option to turn it on/off similar to Smash 3DS would be really cool.

Sou Da

Arent outlines just there to make the characters easier to see and stand out on the area they are due to the shit 3DS screen? In HD and with all the potential visual improvements it seems like something unnecessary. If anything, an option to turn it on/off similar to Smash 3DS would be really cool.

The style doesn't look great without the outlines to begin with.

Though Caelus has a point.

Caelus

Hmm I think I agree, I feel like the outlines are there to make the models resemble sprites on the 3DS screen and help them stand out. With better texture filtering and shading I think they will look just fine without the outlines as the models themselves are very future-proofed and high polygon (hence the poor 3DS performance).

Aren't the Pokemon Go models the same as the 3DS ones anyway?

Hmm I think I agree, I feel like the outlines are there to make the models resemble sprites on the 3DS screen and help them stand out. With better texture filtering and shading I think they will look just fine without the outlines as the models themselves are very future-proofed and high polygon (hence the poor 3DS performance).

Aren't the Pokemon Go models the same as the 3DS ones anyway?

Yes, as far as geometry.

I think Switch will keep as close as the shading style as possible, just pixelly lines at 720p or whatever resolution.
Some designs rely on the lines for definition, like Yungoos' mouth is done entirely with the outline system instead of a texture. (Does it ever open it's mouth?)

Long enough for what?

Another 3rd version I guess? The last one would be BW2 which would be 5 years ago in 2017 or if you don't count that, then 9 years to Platinum and both are superb titles. I don't blame people wanting to skip Sun/Moon in that light even they are great games that could use a just a years more worth of polish and content.

Caelus

Cool that the Pokedex designs will continue to mimic the main Nintendo handheld form factor ;)
3DS_PokemonSunMoon_tools_RotomPokedex_png_jpgcopy.jpg

Cerium

So which Pokemon will headline Pokemon Stars? Who's going to be on the box?

Necrozma?

Because really what the fuck is this thing?

necrozma.jpg

Necrozma is obvious.
If you have one or saw it in battle you can kinda see it is suffering from too much power. It will put it's arm over it's head like it is struggling in pain sometimes. I know, just speculation but hey it's there. Not to mention Pokemon.com literally has a url that says 3rd Legendary when you click on Necrozma.

Maxinas

Necrozma?

necrozma.jpg

Maybe just like white/black kyurem on the black2/white 2 box covers. Necrozma definitely has a different form/forms, evolution, w/e.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

Necrozma?

necrozma.jpg

In one of the threads, I saw an image someone made where they outlined different parts of the Pokémon and showed that it actually has a lot of potential for a form change where its segments are rearranged. For example, its torso (that its arms and legs poke out through) actually resembles something of a dragon skull.

In one of the threads, I saw an image someone made where they outlined different parts of the Pokémon and showed that it actually has a lot of potential for a form change where its segments are rearranged. For example, its torso (that its arms and legs poke out through) actually resembles something of a dragon skull.

rptM1BM.png

The Citra emulation in HD looks great, but honestly the game actually kinda loses a bit of its charm if you get rid of the outlines. I doubt the Switch port will remove the outlines, though.

The Citra emulation in HD looks great, but honestly the game actually kinda loses a bit of its charm if you get rid of the outlines. I doubt the Switch port will remove the outlines, though.

I guess that would depend on whether the outlining was an artistic choice, or if it was implemented to help cope with the 3DS's low screen resolution (the latter being the reason for similar outlining in Smash Bros). If I had to guess though it probably was artistic, as it helps keep the game in line with the series classic look despite being fully 3D.

Philippo

What are the chances of this port of actually happening?
I really want to play S&M but i'm not going for a 3DS when a much more appealing console is on the horizon.
Hope its true and that it runs well!

I guess that would depend on whether the outlining was an artistic choice, or if it was implemented to help cope with the 3DS's low screen resolution (the latter being the reason for similar outlining in Smash Bros). If I had to guess though it probably was artistic, as it helps keep the game in line with the series classic look despite being fully 3D.

Yeah, I'm inclined to say that the outlines are an artistic choice and that the visibility assist is a nice added bonus. The same can be said for the 3DS Ace Attorney games, really - the visual style would lose a lot from dropping the outlines.

Neiteio

Yep, a form change is pretty much inevitable, just like how Giratina had a different form on the cover of Platinum, and Kyurem had different forms on the covers of B2/W2.

Also, Necrozma apparently has a star on the back of its head. Definitely seems like it'll be the cover legendary for Stars.

ramparter

Banned
What are the chances of this port of actually happening?
Chances are as great as they can be for something not officially announced. Personlly I'm convinced it's happening. I wouldn' be surprised if they don't mention it on Januray event though, they will want to delay the anouncement probably.

JoeM86

Strange how none of you are pointing out the bit about Necrozma that supports this :p

02172.png

Edit:
Yep, a form change is pretty much inevitable, just like how Giratina had a different form on the cover of Platinum, and Kyurem had different forms on the covers of B2/W2.

Also, Necrozma apparently has a star on the back of its head. Definitely seems like it'll be the cover legendary for Stars.

Whoops, never mind

FZZ

Banned

Strange how none of you are pointing out the bit about Necrozma that supports this :p

02172.png

Edit:

Whoops, never mind

dang you already edited

ily joe

7Th

I'd rather they give
Cosmog a third evolution
over making Necrozma the box legendary. Solgaleo and Lunala are the best looking box legendaries ever while Necrozma is as over-designed as Giratina, Palkia, Dialga or the Tao dragons.

Azuran

Banned
I'd rather they give
Cosmog a third evolution
over making Necrozma the box legendary. Solgaleo and Lunala are the best looking box legendaries ever while Necrozma is as over-designed as Giratina, Palkia, Dialga or the Tao dragons.

"Overdesigned"
> Solgaleo and Lunala are best looking

Okay.

Semajer

If this turns out to be true I hope it's more of a B2W2 situation than a third version. I'd also want them to zoom out the camera in battles to get a better sense of scale, like in Coliseum/XD.

javadoze

Thinking about it for a little. I think it'd be cool if they brought back and expanded upon the Sevii Islands as a way to catch the non-Alolan forms of Pokemon.

That said, the graphical and performance updates will be a sight to behold on the Switch if the Citra emulation video is anything to go by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom