• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Nintendo Switch to get Pokémon Sun and Moon third version: Pokemon Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would when it was intuitive & kept clutter down for the top screen.

To be fair, a higher screen resolution means you could have far smaller design elements that are still sharp and readable. No need for giant health/exp bars in order to be readable. See MH3U on 3DS vs Wii U to see a great example of how screen resolution allows the UI to go on a diet and free up screen space.

You could, for example, make the classic "Attack/Item/Pokemon/Flee" commands into small colored buttons in a row along the bottom of the screen underneath the battle scene, with the menu for that command popping up from the bottom to cover the screen when selected. It's only blocking idle animations, and only while you would already be looking at a separate screen to navigate menus, so it isn't like this is some great design sin.

Richie

The most notable thing that'l probably be affected is the Rotom Dex's dialogue and the Battle UI, but that can easily be put on the screen. They might remove the minimap from the bottom. One of the select buttons will have to open up the menu to get to the features. It's not too terrible a transition, but I am curious as to how the battle UI will look.

There's this mockup floating around...

t51df1i5cpsx.jpg

This makes me consider waiting for the Switch version. Got too many games to play even if I know I would enjoy Pokemon the most. However I like being future proof as Nintendo will probably shut down the Wifi services for 3DS between 2-3 years from now.

Also it be nice to play on a crisper screen and have a smoother experience. A shame that it will probably take a year to get to play it.

Son Of D

Was that ever confirmed? That seems like a petty move and we've had plenty of leaks despite the delay.
Was never confirmed but seeing that XY was a worldwide release but broke street date around Europe and then suddenly ORAS and SM are a week later for Europe only. It's easy to put the pieces together.

Neoxon

How did PSP and Vita RPG's pull it off?

Magic?
It's more of regressing from having an almost completely clean view of the fight to having a bunch of menus in it. It's not bad per-say, & obviously there are ways to cut down on the clutter thanks to the higher resolution. But it still won't be as clean as it was on the 3DS purely because it had a 2nd screen to put the commands on.

How is a Gen 1 remake a better idea? What would it accomplish? Red and Blue were definitely incredible for the time they were produced, but compared to the newer games, they're sorely lacking. It's a small region, the games are sorely lacking in plot, and completely revamping the game/story/region from the ground up would either completely change the game to the point that it is no longer a remake or just upset people who are fans of the originals. Even in the original remakes, new Pokemon are only available in small post game areas. There have been more than 400 new Pokemon since then. Do you include new Pokemon and completely change the distribution of the original, thereby pissing off the nostalgic Gen 1 fans, or only include the original 151 in the main portion of the game, pissing off everybody who has actually kept up with the series and likes the new Pokemon? I really can't think of any good reason for a R/B remake that isn't based entirely on the nostalgia tinted premise the Gen 1 was the best and everything after it isn't as good.
Nostalgia. Same reason there are fifty versions of the original Dragon Quest.

Personally, I was against the idea of any Pokemon remakes when Fire Red / Leaf Green were just rumors, for much the reasons you said. Less advanced gameplay with fewer creatures, and reexperiencing the story is not really a big deal for most people. That ship has sailed, though, and found successs. I think a reremake of the first games is inevitable, it's just a matter of when.

MCN

Banned
Nostalgia. Same reason there are fifty versions of the original Dragon Quest.

Personally, I was against the idea of any Pokemon remakes when Fire Red / Leaf Green were just rumors, for much the reasons you said. Less advanced gameplay with fewer creatures, and reexperiencing the story is not really a big deal for most people. That ship has sailed, though, and found successs. I think a reremake of the first games is inevitable, it's just a matter of when.

The main reason for FR/LG was because you couldn't trade between Game Boy and Game Boy Advance.

MegaMelon

I think single screen battles would be fine even on the 3ds. I started with Pokemon Ruby and I thought the battle screen was clutterfree.

201412230224050287.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I think single screen battles would be fine even on the 3ds. I started with Pokemon Ruby and I thought the battle screen was clutterfree.

201412230224050287.jpg

the colosseum/battle revolution games should be used for reference than the handheld games in switch personally

pokemon-colosseum-gameplay1.jpg

PokemonBattleRevolution-Screenshots1-www.oplss-team.com_-e1438541692714.jpg

do note that while I think BR looks unrefined in that screen, they only have bigger buttons because of the wiimote function.

Damaging? Hardly.

The vast majority of Pokémon fans are going to buy the game in the first three months, and then double dip on the third version no matter what form it takes.

At the very least, knowing that the lineup from Nintendo will be packed for the first 6 months (Mario, Zelda, Pokémon, Smash, Kart, and Splatoon will be spread out over 2017) at least gives a reason to think the console won't be a flop.

I was going to buy Pokemon Moon. Now I'm going to wait for the Switch version. I'm sure many others have as well

LordKano

I was going to buy Pokemon Moon. Now I'm going to wait for the Switch version. I'm sure many others have as well

You're in the minority. Let's be realistic here, most people will double dip for the third version, just the same as as they double-dipped for Pokémon Platinum/Emerald/Yellow.

Mr-Joker

Banned

201412230224050287.jpg

When the text cuts half of the Pokémon's bpdy that isn't clutterfree and quite a few Pokémon suffered from that during gen 3.

LordKano

Most yes. This leak still costed Nintendo a lot of money.

Not really. The vast majority of people haven't and won't ever read this news, and the really few people informed and willing to wait a full year are just gonna buy the Switch version in the end. So, nothing lost.

aadiboy

There was Pokemon before second screens, and there will be Pokemon after second screens. Stop making a mountain out of a molehill, guys.

Neoxon

It's Neoxon, mountains out of molehills and entirely unsupported speculation and prognostication are his things.
Geez, did I kill your first-born child or something? I was mainly saying that dual-screen play would be missed. I didn't mean to say that it would be impossible to manage without it.

When the text cuts half of the Pokémon's bpdy that isn't clutterfree and quite a few Pokémon suffered from that during gen 3.

Again, I'd personally suggest small colored buttons on the bottom lip of the battle window, with the menu itself popping up when that command is selected. Leaves a pretty, clean UI that only blocks the battle off when specifically inputting commands. Then, of course, the UI mostly disappears during combat.

I can mock something up tomorrow morning if that doesn't make sense, I'm no artist but I can at least give you an idea.

ggx2ac

I only just started playing Pokémon Sun for 30 mins, I feel like it's a huge improvement over previous games because it's visual design feels no longer constrained by its grid based 2D movement which caused you to have that top-down camera view.

Yes, X/Y was the first to have Pokémon in 3D but the world design still felt 2D for the majority of the game because of that grid based system. (And having played Pokémon Stadium, 3D battles weren't new for me.)

Point is, Sun & Moon are impressive titles for the 3DS. I can understand if people "cancelled their preorder" because they have a backlog or have some "make home consoles great again" mantra but, unless Game Freak delivers on the perception some people have that Pokémon Stars will look amazing because it's going to be on the Switch I'd dial back expectations having to wait a year for this game because it's pretty much going to be called an up-port of a 3DS game just like how Super Mario 3D World was called an up-port of Super Mario 3D Land.

Baleoce

Getting my copy tomorrow. Haven't played a Pokemon game since diamond but I'm really looking forward to this. Don't fail me amazon!

I haven't played Sun & Moon, but from stuff I've heard here's some changes I'd like for this version.

Pokemon Ride steps counting for eggs
Drowzee to learn Dream Eater via level up
Solrok & Lunatone catchable in the game
Bellosom catchable in the game
Smooth battles for Double and Totem battles
Triple battles
Rotation Battles
Free-for-alls ending til the last trainer stands
New pokeballs
Wild Pokemon cannot attack and call for help in the same turn
Abra learns Confusion when evolving into a Kadabra

Something else I realized is that
Necrozma has a star on the back of its head, which may factor into its potential form change.

Marshadow's Z move also references stars but I'm not sure about the inspiration for Marshadow in the first place.

Someone turned that mockup of the UI for Pokemon Stars into video form. It looks fantastic.

https://youtu.be/ZzOYr-wxJ_A?t=949

Looks nice, but I feel like the current battle backgrounds don't mesh well with the HD models.

I have a feeling that the areas covered by clouds at the start of the game will be accessible in Stars since they're being developed at the same time. I know part of the northwest area is Poke Pelago though.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I haven't played Sun & Moon, but from stuff I've heard here's some changes I'd like for this version.

Pokemon Ride steps counting for eggs

they do, in fact they recommend tauros, I agree with your other post

and let me add that they bring back hordes, make your character expressive, give the males more clothing (seriously, they have LESS clothes than in XY!) and fix the goddamn fishing encounter rate

atbigelow

Been tempted to get Moon, but will probably just hold off until Stars hits Switch. I already have a lot of games to play.

That fan mockup above looks really good! There's some obvious limitations from just using Citra to rerender things (such as the texture resolution), but it's a good idea.

DedValve

Banned

That's because the camera was static. You would never see the front of the pokemon for example. In 3D you will clearly see everything.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
This is great, between this, Zelda, and Mario, Switch year 1 is stacked.

It really seems like Nintendo is trying to address the content drought that plagued their last three systems.

Kneefoil

Someone turned that mockup of the UI for Pokemon Stars into video form. It looks fantastic.

https://youtu.be/ZzOYr-wxJ_A?t=949

Eh, that might work well for the portable device, but I'd hate to play with that UI on a TV. Forcing the player to change where they're looking so much every time they want to switch Pokémon or use an item would be annoying for them and not be good UI design. The 'Fight', 'Pokémon', 'Bag' and 'Run' elements need to be closer together on a TV screen.

robotrock

Banned
Eh, that might work well for the portable device, but I'd hate to play with that UI on a TV. Forcing the player to change where they're looking so much every time they want to switch Pokémon or use an item would be annoying for them and not be good UI design. The 'Fight', 'Pokémon', 'Bag' and 'Run' elements need to be closer together on a TV screen.

How big is your TV?

At some point you're just gonna know where is what and how to get there. "press left on the dpad to go to bag and go one up to see your party"

Wait...was the d-pad not used to move in Sun/Moon for the 3DS because it's going to be used for battling for S/M on Switch?

Like they can map each button (since they're buttons on the joy cons).

NeonZ

The mainstream pokemon games aren't pokemon unless you trade with other people. I would not be surprised if this third version releases on 3ds as well.

I don't see why people think trading would be an issue at all. It's all wireless. Battles might be harder to implement, but just trading should be easy. Even the 3ds and Wii U can communicate for some games, like Smash Bros.

LordKano

Is that about what should be expected graphically for Stars? I remember seeing something about how they have been making HD Pokémon models for a while.

It will look better than that. It's missing the black border on the 3d models and all the assets are still low quality.

Roo

According to the same rumor, they will be using different assets for the Switch version, i assume just higher resolution models and environments.

Models are probably gonna be literally the same. Pokémon ones at least.
I expect enviroments and most of the textures to receive all the work.

I'd say new shaders and lighting should be a given as well but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they save those for the next Pokémon game made especifically for the Switch just for the Wow! factor.

Gleethor

Models are probably gonna be literally the same. Pokémon ones at least.
I expect enviroments and most of the textures to receive all the work.

I'd say new shaders and lighting should be a given as well but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they save those for the next Pokémon game made especifically for the Switch just for the Wow! factor.

60fps would be nice too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom