• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Nintendo Wins E3 On Its Own Terms

Ok, since it's been talked about YouTube views, here's a comparison between conferences, through several channels, not just the official Nintendo/PlayStation/Xbox ones.

As of June 16th, 2014 - 15:21 GMT

Nintendo Digital Event 6.10.14

Nintendo NA - 726,077 - 11,867 likes / 115 dislikes
Nintendo Japan - 159,955 - 656 likes / 20 dislikes
Nintendo UK - 62,213 - 929 likes / 24 dislikes
Nintendo Spain - 27,741 - 807 likes / 7 dislikes
Nintendo Germany - 14,546 - 280 likes / 6 dislikes
Nintendo France - 10,173 - 289 likes / 1 dislike
Nintendo Italy - 5,486 - 169 likes / 2 dislikes
Nintendo Russia - 2,710 - 63 likes / 4 dislikes
Nintendo Portugal - 1,912 - 65 likes
Nintendo Nederland - 1,506 - 28 likes

Nintendo DE IGN - 44,172 - 930 likes / 51 dislikes
Nintendo DE Gamespot - 116,591 - 1,531 likes / 52 dislikes

Sony Press Conference 6.9.14

Sony PC IGN - 294,564 - 5,363 likes / 378 dislikes
Sony PC Gamespot - 243,586 - 3,344 likes / 199 dislikes
Sony PC Cnet* - 29,984 - 948 likes / 124 dislikes

PlayStation* - 105,486

Microsoft Press Conference 6.9.14

Microsoft PC IGN - 408,961 - 6,112 likes / 780 dislikes
Microsoft PC GameSpot - 40,374 - 750 likes / 107 dislikes
Microsoft PC Cnet* - 12,707 - 411 likes / 60 dislikes

*=amount of views from the search page, not from each video pages, where there's just a "No views" instead of the view amounts.

If you want, I can do the same for 2013, just to see differencies and other things.
What about Treehouse?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'd hate for everyone to skip conferences for the Treehouse format because I love my spectacles, but I have to say the focus on ACTUAL GAMEPLAY over PR fluff made me buy a Wii U.

Do people NOT realize that you can do a Treehouse format AND present at the press conference in the same year?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
What about Treehouse?

Nintendo hasn't posted full Treehouse videos, just specific segments. Still

As of June 16th, 2014 - 20:34 GMT

Nintendo Treehouse: Live @ E3 2014 -- Day 1: Hyrule Warriors 06.11.14 - 114,974 - 1,329 likes / 26 dislikes
Nintendo Treehouse: Live @ E3 2014 -- Day 1: Shigeru Miyamoto 06.11.14 - 53,955 - 958 likes / 8 dislikes
Nintendo Treehouse: Live @ E3 2014 -- Day 1: Splatoon (Part 1) 06.11.14 - 49,365 - 870 likes / 6 dislikes
Nintendo Treehouse: Live @ E3 2014 -- Day 1: Xenoblade Chronicles X 06.11.14 - 112,545 - 1,840 likes / 28 dislikes
Nintendo Treehouse: Live @ E3 2014 -- Day 2: Mario Maker 06.12.14 - 61,069 - 1,149 likes / 13 dislikes
Nintendo Treehouse: Live @ E3 2014 -- Day 2: Super Smash Bros for Wii U 06.12.14 - 114,650 - 2,119 likes / 16 dislikes
Nintendo Treehouse: Live @ E3 2014 -- Day 2: Yoshi's Woolly World 06.12.14 - 59,604 - 1,138 likes / 18 dislikes
Nintendo Treehouse: Live @ E3 2014 -- Day 2: Splatoon (Part 2) 06.12.14 - 38,431 - 775 likes / 3 dislikes
Nintendo Treehouse: Live @ E3 2014 -- Day 3: Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. 06.12.14 - 34,794 - 449 likes / 9 dislikes
Nintendo Treehouse: Live @ E3 2014 -- Day 3: Fantasy Life 06.12.14 - 537 likes / 14 dislikes

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Do people NOT realize that you can do a Treehouse format AND present at the press conference in the same year?

it wasn't just the treehouse content though. The Digital Event was better than both press conferences combined. No awkward pauses/breaks/silences.. no jokes falling awkwardly flat.. no awkward waits for applause that never came. it also let's you edit stuff to be more clean.. and the worst case scenario (and it is the worst) you still get instant feedback through social media (twitter, twitch, etc)

Treehouse was absolutely the biggest runaway hit this E3... but yeah, that doesn't change the fact that the Digital Event was much better than both press conferences as well.

Nintendo hasn't posted full Treehouse videos, just specific segments. Still

As of June 16th, 2014 - 20:34 GMT

Nintendo Treehouse: Live @ E3 2014 -- Day 1: Hyrule Warriors 06.11.14 - 114,974 - 1,329 likes / 26 dislikes
Nintendo Treehouse: Live @ E3 2014 -- Day 1: Shigeru Miyamoto 06.11.14 - 53,955 - 958 likes / 8 dislikes
Nintendo Treehouse: Live @ E3 2014 -- Day 1: Splatoon (Part 1) 06.11.14 - 49,365 - 870 likes / 6 dislikes
Nintendo Treehouse: Live @ E3 2014 -- Day 1: Xenoblade Chronicles X 06.11.14 - 112,545 - 1,840 likes / 28 dislikes
Nintendo Treehouse: Live @ E3 2014 -- Day 2: Mario Maker 06.12.14 - 61,069 - 1,149 likes / 13 dislikes
Nintendo Treehouse: Live @ E3 2014 -- Day 2: Super Smash Bros for Wii U 06.12.14 - 114,650 - 2,119 likes / 16 dislikes
Nintendo Treehouse: Live @ E3 2014 -- Day 2: Yoshi's Woolly World 06.12.14 - 59,604 - 1,138 likes / 18 dislikes
Nintendo Treehouse: Live @ E3 2014 -- Day 2: Splatoon (Part 2) 06.12.14 - 38,431 - 775 likes / 3 dislikes
Nintendo Treehouse: Live @ E3 2014 -- Day 3: Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. 06.12.14 - 34,794 - 449 likes / 9 dislikes
Nintendo Treehouse: Live @ E3 2014 -- Day 3: Fantasy Life 06.12.14 - 537 likes / 14 dislikes

These are youtube video views, not concurrent stream viewers. Don't twitch and youtube document the metrics for their streams?

Scarphace

If you would have asked me a couple months ago I wouldn't have even considered purchasing a wii u but now I am leaning towards grabbing one before the year is over

Yes. Nintendo served me up a giant steaming platter of crow to eat.

I was not in favor of the lack of a conference - based on last year. Like it says in the article, it felt like they were giving up. But their stream was really good.

And, more importantly, I expected to see zero new Wii U games. I told my friend that I'd put money on them only showing games we already knew about. I'm so happy to be so wrong.

vrln

Neo Member
I was pleasantly surprised by Nintendo´s E3 moves too. I had zero expectations for them - already sold my Wii U during the endless draught, but what they showed might just make me buy one again someday.

Unfortunately it´s too late to save the console, but at least it might help them not lose too much money on it before the inevitable handheld/console hybrid comes along.

Rarity

The amusing thing is that Nintendo showed 12 games on their digital event with a half of them dated to 2015 and beyond and nobody complains (which it's ok with me, I understand games take time to make) while sony and ms showed 40 games each on their conferences and every thread is "everything was 2015"

Doublestandards I guess

Pretty sure these would have to be the same people in order for it to be a double standard.

Piscus

Mario Maker (I actually want it), Toads Treasure Tracker, Yoshis Wooly World, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, Mario Party 10, and I'm sure I'm missing something. Mario Kart just came out. How many recent Mario games have been on Wii U or 3ds? It's just getting nauseating. They've been doing this since the N64/GameCube and I can't really take it anymore.

I have been reading this thread page by page, and I may have missed what followed this comment, but I really don't understand this thinking. You just listed 6 titles related to Mario, but how many of them play similarly to each other? How many play like a mainline Mario entry? Just because they all have characters from the Mario universe in them does NOT make them similar experiences to each other. I really feel like people will grasp at whatever logic they can to hate on Nintendo, and it drives me nuts.
NSMB2 and NSMBU? You might have something to be annoyed about there. But to complain about a level creation game and a 3D puzzle game and a 2D platforming game and an arcade-style racing game and a party game and whatever you would classify as Mario vs Donkey Kong, all because they are coming out over the course of a year and can somehow be connected to Mario? Oh my gosh, so sickening! Stop stretching. Try enjoying them for a change! Pretend they are made up of other characters if you have to.
End of rant, baby.

Anteo

These are youtube video views, not concurrent stream viewers. Don't twitch and youtube document the metrics for their streams?

They made all the treehouse streams private after e3 was done, so no way to watch the uncut footage nor get any data from them

The main Digital Event was perfect for the majority of people who get their news via internet and like Reggie mentioned it helped frame some of the announcements and showings better than if Yoshi or Splatoon were revealed in front of an audience so much more damage control there too.

The cherry on top was Nintendo's own Treehouse though, I've seen that 40min vid for Xenoblade X like 5 times now and it was great to see people demoing the games for who were familiar with the games, the developers and everyone else.

How the majority of media has taken the news that they are no longer such a big part of the puzzle is great. I don't see why game reviewers should be held up on a pedestal and good to see that Nintendo is cutting IGN out especially. To see IGN award Microsoft the best E3 is literally a joke and has further cemented my opinion that their analysis and reviews don't really matter to me any more.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The main Digital Event was perfect for the majority of people who get their news via internet and like Reggie mentioned it helped frame some of the announcements and showings better than if Yoshi or Splatoon were revealed in front of an audience so much more damage control there too.

The cherry on top was Nintendo's own Treehouse though, I've seen that 40min vid for Xenoblade X like 5 times now and it was great to see people demoing the games for who were familiar with the games, the developers and everyone else.

How the majority of media has taken the news that they are no longer such a big part of the puzzle is great. I don't see why game reviewers should be held up on a pedestal and good to see that Nintendo is cutting IGN out especially. To see IGN award Microsoft the best E3 is literally a joke and has further cemented my opinion that their analysis and reviews don't really matter to me any more.

I just saw the IGN nomination list for best Wii U game at E3, and Splatoon wasn't even on the list.

Clockwork5

lol Captain toad

I take it you are not a fan. That's fine. But there us already a solid foundation for a great puzzle game that players have had a glimpse of in SM3DW. It is going to be a great game.

You should try to be more open minded and less of a troll on these formus. Lol juniors.

delta25

Banned
it amazing to watch the Wii U go thew so many ups and downs with the media, I would suspect next month they'll hate the thing once again.

Riki

If that's how you react to that, I highly recommend you don't look at IGN or Gamespots lists. Splatoon isn't the only thing they don't mention.
As I said in another thread, there's a reason sites like IGN, GS and GT are becoming obsolete.

Metal B

Someone should start a thread about this. Kind of depressive, when Nintendo actually does something right, they are simple ignored. This screams like a agenda against Nintendo.

Honestly after this E3 I was reminded about Nintendo's role in this business and why it's an important one. They will always be kooky, rogue and fun-loving. Their personality as a corporation really matches the business they're in. Sony and Microsoft had these huge conferences with multi-million dollar partnerships and huge productions, but Nintendo showed a CGI deathmatch between two corporate executives. That shit needs to be appreciated.

Just do you girl. Just do you.

gngf123

Someone should start a thread about this. Kind of depressive, when Nintendo actually does something right, they are simple ignored. This screams like a agenda against Nintendo.

While I think that is a great idea, especially if people could put a good thread filled with evidence together. You just know people on here are going to scream conspiracy theory and Nintendo fans having a persecution complex. It's what always happens regardless of the evidence.

Penguin

I would probably scream the same.

If you enjoyed Nintendo's e3, then good.
If IGN didn't, no need to shame em for it.

It is what it is. Let it lay

Riki

While I think that is a great idea, especially if people could put a good thread filled with evidence together. You just know people on here are going to scream conspiracy theory and Nintendo fans having a persecution complex. It's what always happens regardless of the evidence.
Doesn't matter.
The proof is there.
GT just had to lay off two thirds of its staff.
IGN is no longer the juggernaut it was.
GS has been irrelevant for years.

These are the last outlashes of a segment of the industry that is no longer needed or wanted.

Nanashrew

Banned
If that's how you react to that, I highly recommend you don't look at IGN or Gamespots lists. Splatoon isn't the only thing they don't mention.

My bigger problem with those lists is that they're incredibly basic and safe. It's only the top games that were shown off during E3 and no smaller interesting games. I get that big games are something to get excited about but I think sprinkling in some smaller titles could spark some interest of like "wow, that actually managed to get into the top 5?" and maybe get some people raging that it was even in the list.

Much, much longer if you ask me. I remember being tired of them way back in 2005 or so.

yeah, same here. Started going to evilavatar to get my gaming news fix until I discovered neogaf in the past year. Nothing worth reading anywhere else. (still read evilavatar because I love picking fights over there haha)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
He most likely got banned because he constantly posted in a console warrior tone. There were some points where I felt like I was on Gamespot System Wars again.

Just so you know, this wasn't why I was banned for. When someone makes that kind of accusation I take it very serious.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Love that line of the article. "Will it save Wii U? Nope. But it might save Nintendo." Or something like that. Nintendo's tactics this E3 show that maybe they've wisened up a little and actually have what it takes to compete with Sony and MS. They hopped on the indie and dev support bandwagon before Sony did (yeah yeah yeah.. After they turned their nose at third parties.. Let's leave the past in the past)

Wii U is what it is at this point. An underperforming console with a chance to end its life with a great selection of some incredible games. But if this is actual momentum Nintendo as a company is generating, maybe they'll be able to do something with it for their next system (that doesn't have the word Wii anywhere in the name...)

definitely agree with this. Feels like they fired the whole marketing dept and hired some actually competent guys

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
definitely agree with this. Feels like they fired the whole marketing dept and hired some actually competent guys

I wonder if this has anything to do with Iwata taking a direct hand in NOA. Maybe this really is the ice breaking between NOA and the mommaship. In fact, maybe Treehouse is being emphasized for a reason. They are kind of Nintendo's "American culture experts" being the localization team.

It could be as simple as Iwata requesting more direct input from the American staff. Reggie seems more at ease too. In the early Wii U days he was very stiff and acted as if he was unable to say anything other than "Everything is great, not my problem".

USC-fan

Banned
No doubt they had a great e3. They did what they needed to do. Show the hardcore fans that jump day one onto this system they are backing it with greats games. I have been very down on the directs but that one was great.

I just brought a wiiu for my nephew. Really have a ton of great family games. He is just loving it. Nice to be able to share games I play growing up on nes.

Will it start selling like hot cakes...no... but that really doesnt mean much.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
No doubt they had a great e3. They did what they needed to do. Show the hardcore fans that jump day one onto this system they are backing it with greats games. I have been very down on the directs but that one was great.

I just brought a wiiu for my nephew. Really have a ton of great family games. He is just loving it. Nice to be able to share games I play growing up on nes.

Will it start selling like hot cakes...no... but that really doesnt mean much.

It depends on the crowd but hopefully when I pick one up next year it's gone down in price.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
IGN's Nintendo coverage is pretty good these days. NVC is one of the best Nintendo-focused podcasts out there. I can't speak for the entire site though.

Yeah I can't imagine IGN's coverage of Nintendo being all that bad at least in regards to the rest of the industry (don't really visit the site so don't personally know). It is the biggest website and one of the few Nintendo still cares to some degree considering they allowed Devils third exclusivity to be announced there which most certainly helped IGN traffic.

Top Bottom