• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
2) Thats just wrong and nothing that would work in the real world. Publisher bring their games on every possible console if it could be successful. If the NX would sell millions of millions units and would be a real powerhouse, the big publisher would bring the IPs for the console. They don't care if it says Sony, Nintendo or Ulumulu on the plastic thing you gpt under your TV. They wanna make money and if they see a chance to make some, they grab it.

If it is underpowered on the other hand you are right. We will never get downgrades of AAA titles even if the NX is successful. Then we will get either an specific made entry for the game or just a game which fits to the Nintendo audience.

To you point 2, it just wouldn't matter right now. It's mid generation. The multiplat AAA console crowd is already entrenched on Sony/MS and locked into playing games with their friends online (most of whom only own one console for CoD et al yearly).

If it was the start of a new gen, and all three coming out with new consoles the same fall, then sure. Maybe if they really nailed things AND the others screwed up they could gain some traction. Much like how Sony really took advantage of Nintendo and MSs mistakes with the Wii U and Xbox 1 to jump back out to a big lead (to be fair they gained a lot of momentum the last couple years of PS3 vs. Xbox/Wii).

Beyond that, it was always going to be underpowered. Nintendo doesn't have anywhere near the brand strength necessary to get people, especially core gamers who largely don't care about their first party line up (or even the genres that dominate it) to shell out $400-500.

Add in that there's a decent size swath of the Nintendo diehards online that actively state their hatred for shooters, sports games, GTA/AssCreed and other "dudebro" games and that third party support and appeal to the mainstream AAA gamer ship sailed long ago for Nintendo.

Their best chance at success as a hardware maker is putting out a kick ass library of their best games, great Japanese and indie games that appeal to that same crowd and selling a decent amount of hardware and a TON of software with their high attach rates.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I have a Nvidia shield tv and it's a little beast. It plays every emulator I throw at it, has really well done android an custom apps, and has proven it's power by having games like Metal Gear Rising and Borderlands the presequel.

It's priced a $199 for the 16GB model and includes a wifi, 360 based android controller. If Nintendo can do the same at the same price point, Sony and Microsoft may start sweating bullets. Nintendo combined with a cheap device could equal big sales.

The only thing that worries me is that this sounds awfully expensive, I hope portable gamers aren't paying extra for the fixed console part if they don't want it straight away.

If it is a handheld first and foremost, I'm worried it will only appeal to Japan. Who outside of Japan is really eager to buy a handheld gaming device with 50-60 euro games? I think that audience is gone completely.

Consolidating their software output, yes.
Bundling both form factors in one, no.

This will set back those who only want the handheld and increase the barrier of entry to the Nintendo ecosystem. I imagine they will remedy this by releasing a cheaper handheld-only revision in late 2017 aimed at the mass market.
late 2017¿¡?! Late 2018 I could buy.

AmyS

Nvidia GPUs in consoles from the big 3:

2001:
NhhG1b4.jpg

2006:
DE4Sng5.jpg

2017:
iyk68.jpg

crinale

If detachable screen can make the device like pure tablet this may appeal to more users.
Or let's put in this way: if it's a tablet with controller attachment in mind from design phase then it must do better than some of us are expecting.

Snakeyes

Just see it as their new handheld first and foremost. Only this handheld has a TV out feature to appease the console gamers that feel shafted. Nintendo is likely done with the console race.
It doesn't appease shit, though. Console gamers would rather get a cheap TV only version of the NX than pay extra for some tablet they're not gonna use. It'll be the "I'll buy a Wii U when Nintendo releases a Gamepad-less bundle with the Pro Controller" all over again.

Speaking of which, since nothing in the article indicates a normal controller being bundled with this, console gamers are getting shafted twice; pay for a handheld you don't want, then drop another 50 on a conventional controller.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It's only a hybrid if the base unit has extra hardware in it that would make the console powerful enough to put out competitive looking games.

So far, there really hasn't been any evidence for this to be the case. It's simply a powerful handheld with a TV connection feature.

No solid evidence, but plenty of circumstantial evidence to point in that direction. From things as specific as their supplemental computing device patent, to more leap of faith things like it being referred to variously as a dock/base station rather than just a simple cable or HDMI dongle to get games to the TV.

I'd be shocked if it didn't at least allow for the power usage to go up and let the CPU/GPU work overclocked vs. underclocked when in portable mode. They need games to at least look noticeably better than Wii U or they're going to get laughed out of the market in the West where consoles on big screens rule the day.

The way I'm picturing it in my head is that the NX's detachable controllers act like wii remotes when detached from the actual NX unit. The NX can then act as a tablet that would be able to run apps (Kindle, Adobe's apps, social media apps, mobile games).
Some apps could even interact with the wii remotes (this is where I would fit in the Android rumors, even though some insiders are debunking Nintendo using Android as their base for their OS).Games that are played on the TV could use the wii remotes from the NX (and both controllers would have motion sensing, unlike the wii remote and the nunchuck).

ThisGuy

Okay day one....unless the controller's that detach from the handheld only have one thumbstick each.

I can't play games with one thumbstick anymore. My only gripe about the 3ds. Can't do it again.

Hoo-doo

Banned
It doesn't appease shit, though. Console gamers would rather get a cheap TV only version of the NX than pay extra for some tablet they're not gonna use. It'll be the "I'll buy a Wii U when Nintendo releases a Gamepad-less bundle with the Pro Controller" all over again.

Speaking of which, since nothing in the article indicates a normal controller being bundled with this, console gamers are getting shafted twice; pay for a handheld you don't want, then drop another 50 on a conventional controller.

Yeah well that's tough. The console market is unfavorable to Nintendo compared to the handheld market right now. They simply can't compete there so it makes sense to put their focus on handheld.

If everyone in the world bought Wii-U's in droves this thing likely wouldn't have materialized.

Griss

Since this thing plays the same games on the TV as it does on the go, we've got to be expecting a significantly large screen to allow for that kind of gameplay and UI, right? I mean, 5 inches minimum, and maybe 6 or 7 inches like a small tablet. The Wii U gamepad is 6.2 - that would be perfect. Smaller than that and it's a struggle for full console games, imo.

I really hope (and expect) that they aren't going to make this thing ultra-portable. There's no point. Invest in the screen. This shouldn't be a pocket-able device.

Also, a 540p screen in 2017 isn't good enough. A 540p screen in 2021 (when this will still be their main console) will be a joke. They need to hit 720p. That
a) Allows them to advertise as 'an HD screen!', and
b) Is perfectly feasible with the X1 chip, and
c) If the screen is big, they'll have enough battery to power that, and it's a sweet spot between the pixellated 540p and the battery-and-FPS-destroying 1080p.

SandTorso

Very interesting. I was originally very sour on the idea until about halfway through the Digital Foundry video. I had no idea the 360 and PS3 ran doom3 so poorly (Trine 2 at 1080p30 isn't particularly impressive either) for example though, so seeing it run well on a tablet is pretty cool.

Then at some point I realized that I would really mostly be getting the thing for first party games and exclusives. Ideally combining the 3DS and Wii U markets sounds pretty great, and seeing as how I do most of my gaming on my PC anyway, I guess I could just continue that trend. I just hope it gets indie games and more sweet exclusives like Tokyo Mirage Sessions (or hell, I'd LOVE a Persona 5 game on the thing. It sounds like the perfect platform for it).

Super interested in the actual reveal. Bummer there's no backwards compatibility, but that's probably to be expected at this point. Oh well, I would have loved to just move even my digital Wii U games over.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

First, those people were mostly just trolling and wouldn't have bought one even if that happened. Just like the "I'll buy an X1 when Kinect is removed." Sure some did, myself included (sold when I took the PC plunge though), but most is just fanboy trolling.

To the second, the rumor is the the controller detaches from the sides of the tablet and can be hooked together to make the "traditional" controller. If that's the case, separate controllers would likely just be those two pieces without the tablet. That minimizes skus and allows for extra controllers to be used in console or portable mode, vs. needing a console only and both/portable extra controller sku to confuse people.

Okay day one....unless the controller's that detach from the handheld only have one thumbstick each.

I can't play games with one thumbstick anymore. My only gripe about the 3ds. Can't do it again.

The rumors seem to suggest that the two controllers still can work together, and only would be used separately for simple multiplayer--like a 2D platformer with the wiimote sideway etc. Otherwise it seems the gist is that they hook together to make a normal controller with the screen removed, or potentially work more like a Wii nunchuck in each hand with stick and d-pad and triggers on left one and stick and face buttons and triggers on right one.

Eradicate

I mean, they mention them being on the side and detachable, but does it need to be that complicated? Why not something like

ipad-air-air-2-2-3-4-smart-cover-9-different-colors.jpg

combined with

clw86yccu4blkftbdgez.jpg

where the screen portion is latched onto, the two outer flaps clasp magnetically together to shield the thing and also allow it to separate from each other (for two controllers), but the flaps also contain all the controller parts? They could surely get the buttons and one/two of their circle pads into there, maybe even a touch pad. This way you don't really have to worry about not having your controllers around and your system is protected while you're going about.

Every NX will come with a duck, I don't want to reveal my sources but you'll have to trust me.

I blindly trust everything written on NeoGAF, so I'll definitely trust the NintenDuck theory!

part 2 on concept 4

the watch scans hands

sXZ1Xvw.jpg

How will it interact with the included duck?! Duck bands?

Since this thing plays the same games on the TV as it does on the go, we've got to be expecting a significantly large screen to allow for that kind of gameplay and UI, right? I mean, 5 inches minimum, and maybe 6 or 7 inches like a small tablet. The Wii U gamepad is 6.2 - that would be perfect. Smaller than that and it's a struggle for full console games, imo.

I really hope (and expect) that they aren't going to make this thing ultra-portable. There's no point. Invest in the screen.

Also, a 540p screen in 2017 isn't good enough. A 540p screen in 2021 (when this will still be their main console) will be a joke. They need to hit 720p. That
c) If the screen is big, they'll have enough battery to power that, and it's a sweet spot between the pixellated 540p and the battery-and-FPS-destroying 1080p.

The (in my opinion non existing) target audience for a handheld gaming toy doesn't care about resolution, so it doesn't matter. Kids wont count pixels.

antonz

The fact that the current kits have an extremely noisy cooling fan on the chip seems to suggest to me there is something more going on with the chip. X1 in the shield TV has a fan but it is basically silent.

The X1 could be overclocked to a crazy degree to simulate X2 and that would require moving beyond the silent cooling option.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
If it is a handheld first and foremost, I'm worried it will only appeal to Japan. Who outside of Japan is really eager to buy a handheld gaming device with 50-60 euro games? I think that audience is gone completely.

I think Nintendo will take a Wii like approach in terms of marketing. So they'll go after the family/casual gamers and they'll always be the hardcore Nintendo fans who make up a pretty large chunk of Videogame sales.

Granted they tried this with the Wii U and failed but I don't think they are going to mess it up this time.

Tegra is notoriously shitty but I guess I trust Nintendo's optimization. They'll probably have to throttle that shit to get it under control.

I like the fact that it's one system. That's really ALL I wanted. The entire game library on one system not this handheld and console are separate bullshit. So I'm pretty pleased. I'm not that much of a power monger. I have a PS4 for that.

Hoo-doo

Banned
No solid evidence, but plenty of circumstantial evidence to point in that direction. From things as specific as their supplemental computing device patent, to more leap of faith things like it being referred to variously as a dock/base station rather than just a simple cable or HDMI dongle to get games to the TV.

I'd be shocked if it didn't at least allow for the power usage to go up and let the CPU/GPU work overclocked vs. underclocked when in portable mode. They need games to at least look noticeably better than Wii U or they're going to get laughed out of the market in the West where consoles on big screens rule the day.

Tell me, would it really make a difference whether it looks like a sub-Xbox One game or close to a Xbox One game? The story will still be that it fails to outperform consoles that launched in 2013.

Next year all eyes will be on PSNeo and Xbox Scorpio either way so focusing on graphics isn't ever going to get them the positive reaction they want.

Kimawolf

I hope they fix that audible fan situation though.

Handhelds shouldn't have moving parts nor should they get loud under load. Nobody wants to hold a clammy whirring brick with hot air blowing out all the vents.
They said it could mean its a placeholder for the X2 as an X1 doesn't need any active cooling. But if its significantly overclocked to get clpse to X2 levels of power it absolutely will need to be actively cooled.

brawly

Guys..do we know for a fact that the NX will only have one form factor? Didn't Iwata say something akin to brothers of the same family? It would be amazing if we had a traditional handheld, a tablet with detachable controllers and a dedicated home console like the Nvidia Shield TV. Something for everyone. :)

God yes please. With a traditional controller.

Pandy

I really hope (and expect) that they aren't going to make this thing ultra-portable. There's no point. Invest in the screen. This shouldn't be a pocket-able device.

The top screen on a 3DSXL is 5 inches. Being the 'XL', I wouldn't expect them to go beyond that for a handheld NX.

Nanashrew

Banned

540p is perfectly acceptable and less power draining and it scales well to 1080p. Native 540p is sharp.

Aikidoka

I'm pretty pessimistic about this. Hopefully the second screen stuff doesn't cause it to be too expensive for what you get. No BC is pretty much a deal breaker, as well

Neoxon

I'm pretty pessimistic about this. Hopefully the second screen stuff doesn't cause it to be too expensive for what you get. No BC is pretty much a deal breaker, as well
It'd be kinda hard to do Wii U backwards compatibility with no disc slot or PowerPC CPU. As for 3DS backwards compatibility, that would require a 2nd screen.

jdstorm

Banned
So.... Smash Bros and then what else? 1080p/60 was not "comfortable" for devs to achieve on Wii U.

Mario Kart 8 (technically it was 1080/59) DKC:Tropical Freeze. Bayonetta 2, Lego City undercover. Wind Waker was 1080/30

Comfortable was probably the wrong word to use. However those games looked good on the WiiU. I'd be perfectly content with that level of fidelity on a handheld. (And the NX is going to be more powerful then the Wii U

gafneo

Banned
I mean, they mention them being on the side and detachable, but does it need to be that complicated? Why not something like

ipad-air-air-2-2-3-4-smart-cover-9-different-colors.jpg

combined with

clw86yccu4blkftbdgez.jpg

where the screen portion is latched onto, the two outer flaps clasp magnetically together to shield the thing and also allow it to separate from each other (for two controllers), but the flaps also contain all the controller parts? They could surely get the buttons and one/two of their circle pads into there, maybe even a touch pad. This way you don't really have to worry about not having your controllers around and your system is protected while you're going about.

I blindly trust everything written on NeoGAF, so I'll definitely trust the NintenDuck theory!

How will it interact with the included duck?! Duck bands?

You mean dock? It will cloud sync, same as wii u gamepad.

Neoxon

Mario Kart 8 (technically it was 1080/59) DKC:Tropical Freeze. Bayonetta 2, Lego City undercover. Wind Waker was 1080/30

Comfortable was probably the wrong word to use. However those games looked good on the WiiU. I'd be perfectly content with that level of fidelity on a handheld. (And the NX is going to be more powerful then the Wii U
Aside from Wind Waker HD, the games you mentioned natively run at 720p.

Persona7

Banned

Pretty sure the only game you listed that rendered at 1080p was wind waker. Even Wind Waker at 30FPS and 1080p has massive frame drops.

psyfi

Banned
Can't wait to finally see this.
Yeah, seriously. I have some reservations and concerns, but I fully expect Nintendo to blow us away. They could do some really cool stuff with the compartmentalized design, not to mention totally alter how we even use Nintendo devices on a day-to-day basis.

This is a bit of a tangent, but I wonder if Nintendo is still planning on releasing QOL stuff?

The only problem to me, is that Nintendo is often very invested in creating experiences they believe to be better suited to the hardware they're developing for. The thing is, I enjoy playing "console level" games on handhelds, but I don't think I'd want to play games specifically designed for handhelds on a tv. I love handhelds and have owned almost every Nintendo handheld system, but I'd prefer they focus on a console approach.

The best example I can think of off the top of my head is Luigi's Mansion 2. Bringing that to the 3DS meant making the game more suitable for a pick up and play style of gameplay. On this alleged console, I'd want them to commit to the TV-using console aspect more than the handheld aspect.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.

If Nintendo pushes this thing as a decent tablet replacement I think the audience for it will definitely come. But that's very dependent on form factor -- I can see see something like Eurogamer's concept being successful -- and the OS. Nintendo making their own OS as rumored has me considerably worried. Hopefully, they've learned their lesson on UX from Wii U/3DS.

Only thing that really surprises me is the cartridges bit...I hope Ninty launches up to snuff on starting storage space amounts this time to sufficiently support digital purchases. I still wonder about their commitment level to online at this point, but they ought to be better-prepared this time around.

crinale

Nintendo might have gotten some crazy offer from Nvidia, and that might be something they wanted to hide from competitors. Pure speculation of course :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom