• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynomutt

A tablet just seems so big, even if it's Mini sized.

Is this really what people want?

iPadMinigaming.png

Oh wow. Better be gorilla glass 10! If it is a screen that large be prepared for unhappy kids and Nintendo and 3rd parties to make a killing on accessories and screen repair. Maybe a Nintendo Care Plus plan.

Galava

No BC for Wii U or Wii games? That's going to be a dealbreaker for many Nintendo fans.

It had to happen, you can't release a console in 2017 and still support 2006 games natively. tech must evolve (sucks I know). What they need to do is release a lot of VC games from all consoles on eShop and not just a couple.

The more I think about it, the more I suspect Nintendo will eventually offer stripped down revisions in "console only" and "handheld only" SKUs. But they are offering the hybrid to start so everyone knows the baseline is that these games can be played on the go or hooked up to a TV.

I've posted about that 3 times already in this thread, but let's go again.

It will certainly be a lot faster CPU wise, and faster and far more capable (in terms of compute and modern featureset) GPU wise.

Exactly how much faster it will end up being in both of those depends on the exact (likely custom) chip Nintendo ends up with, and how it is clocked in both portable and -- if distinct from that -- docked mode.

Thanks for this info Durante. Sounds great for a portable device and honestly, it's something I can live with as a home console that will be used by me almost exclusively for Nintendo software.

If no BC, not sure how I feel about my WiiU. I have to imagine they'll be rereleasing a bunch of games as NX versions? Super Smash, Mario Maker, etc.

I think this makes sense for Nintendo though.

Sadist

EVERYBODY PANIC

Anyway, so...

- So somewhere closer to Xbox One in terms of power
- Carts
- Can use it on your tv set
- Reveal this september?

Sure, why not? Here's hoping Nintendo wil keep games like Ace Attorney, Monster Hunter, Bravely Default, SMT titles and the like and I'm in.

Griss

Damn, it feels good to be happy with Nintendo news again. I felt like a leper when I was one of maybe two people in the entire world who hated Breath of the Wild at e3.

Well, I'd rather be happy with their new console than just one game, so overall things have worked out. And it's still very early for both...

Nintendo should just go handheld only. I am not a fan of hybrid systems.

This is probably a more powerful, better system because it hooks up to the TV. And it probably hasn't changed much else about it. You're getting your handheld.

Adam_

Neo Member
What if it doesnt ship with a screen?

The only reason home consoles don't is because they were invented to plug into a TV.

Nowadays we all carry little screens around.

Feep

Banned
Opening a betting market for the name

Nintendo GO: 1 to 4 odds
Any variant of "Wii": 1 to 20 odds
Rebirth of "NES": 1 to 50 odds
The Nintendo Reacharound: 1 to 200 odds

Field: 3 to 1 odds

FSLink

Banned
Nintendo still can't let the cartridge thing go all these years later. Ha, almost amusing how stuck in the past they are. Well, best of luck to them I guess, but it is hilarious they were worried about people copying this.

This is hilarious considering most modern consoles just install to the hard drive anyway. Discs are outdated.

Awesome! Just tinkered with a New 3DS to recreate it as that's what I was sort of envisioning too:

Fd8O5SO.jpg

Fix the aspect ratio on the screen on the mockup and I'm down for something like this. :p

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Well that all sounds horrible, assuming this is all true then that's me out.

Durante

What does this mean? I remember a headline about a patent but I didn't read up on it.
People have this idea that the dock would contain a supplemental GPU. It's theoretically possible, but I consider it incredibly unlikely simply due to the price they want to sell this whole system at.

Lucifon

Honestly it is hard to do, and if this thing is getting X2s its pointless, and if it is getting any of Nvidias advancements over the last few years its really pointless.

Whats more important at this juncture is the price, and I have a feeling we may get a $200 dollar machine that is clearly aimed at the widest market.

I tried looking up any info on the x2 and it seems barely nonexistent apart from a very small amount of info for something which may not even end up being the x2 for consumers products. Seems odd for this to be in a March console doesn't it? Especially considering Nintendo have never really been at the forefront of their internal hardware.

MysteryM

Hmmm i'll wait for the reviews before I commit, but my current thoughts are this could be the first Nintendo console i'm going to skip and I've owned every single one since the snes.

I have a few 3DS but neither the kids or myself really played on them so I'm not really interested in something that's really a handheld. As it stands my next console purchase is likely to be the scorpio.

Having read the article earlier, it's an interesting concept. I'll decide whether to get excited or not when Nintendo actually shows us the thing, but it'll be interesting to see how the NX (if this article is the case) moves forward. Interesting.
Now, if Nintendo were to respond...

AmyS

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...erful-entirely-portable-console/#6b26598a63f1
There were rumblings that there would be some major unofficial news about the NX soon, and it seems that day has arrived in the form of a massive Eurogamer leak about Nintendo’s new console. An extensive article details for the first time what exactly the system is, and as many predicted, Nintendo’s new console is heavily focused on mobile play.

Not just heavily, almost entirely.

According to the Eurogamer report, the Nintendo NX is a 100% portable console. The entire pitch of the NX will be that you can “take your games on the go,” meaning you can take the entire system with you, not just pieces of it, as some predicted.

• What will fans and developers make of its power level? If the NX isn’t even “chasing graphical parity” with current generation systems (I assume this means the PS4 and Xbox One, not NEO/Scorpio), will fans take it seriously as a home console? Will third party developers want to spend the resources to design games for something running far below current industry standards?

This is effectively merging Nintendo’s home console and mobile divisions, I imagine, meaning they’ll no longer be selling two separate pieces of hardware. Can the NX possibly sell enough units by itself to be close to their usual handheld/home console total? And of course, how much will it cost? Surely more than a typical handheld, given its functionality.

• Will home console fans buy a unit that is so focused on mobility to the point where it sacrifices power? Will portable fans buy a unit that is possibly bulkier and consumes more power than other game-playing devices they own?

There are a lot of unanswered questions here, some of which may be resolved this September, which is when rumors say that Nintendo will unveil the NX officially, ahead of its March 2017 debut.

It has to be kind of a terrifying prospect for them, to introduce a new piece of hardware that’s so dramatically different from anything that’s come before. Yes, playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild anywhere may be magical, but I worry about several dozen different practical applications of this concept. It seems like an enormous risk for them, something that will either be a hit or a total bust.

I am not used to carry gaming devices with me... My last portable was a Gameboy and that turned out to be annoying to carry with another phone.

Unless you walk around with some kind of bag regularly, this isn't a device you're going to carry around and it's not going to supplement or replace your phone.

I think the hybrid also works out for variety in the library, since they no longer have to make two Mario Karts, they can get monster hunter on a console like structure, they can get the RPGs from the handheld systems, they can free themselves up for other IPs instead of filling out the expected. Very exciting stuff.

People have this idea that the dock would contain a supplemental GPU. It's theoretically possible, but I consider it incredibly unlikely simply due to the price they want to sell this whole system at.

yeah the most I can envision is that the system is underclocked when not docked and fully clocked when docked/plugged in

Griss

Under that proposal, the idea is that the handheld is just sold as a handheld, and the dock and TV experience is a separate cost. Not that the whole SKU includes that from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom