• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdstorm

Banned
Here's hoping that Nintendo Multiple computing patent was a way to use advanced wireless technology to run multiple GPUs in an SLI/Crossfire setup Wirelessly.

Having a moderately powerful handheld (550Gflps) combining with another identical device would output 1.1 Nvidia flops which gives it a real world performance somewhere between an Xbox 1 and a PS4.

It would also be 3x as powerful as a Wii U when just being used as a handheld.

Yeah this is a completely new direction for Nintendo in terms of consoles

Instead of two different platforms, Nintendo can focus on just one with ALL THEIR GLORY!

Yasssss slay!!!!!

In the words of Beyonce "best revenge is your paper"

Make that $$$ and show the competition you mean business!

killroy87

Power isn't everything, but still being less powerful than launch PS4 is a shame. That would make it an incredibly small step up from Wii U.

Other than that, it sounds exciting!

This is gonna bomb so hard.
Nobody wants a dedicated handheld console these days. You just compromised the specs of your next big console to chase a market that doesn't exist anymore.
Nobody will want to port AAA games to a beefed up Nvidia Shield.

Crazyorloco

This is amazing...especially if you're a portable gamer. Best of both worlds here. I'm excited to see what's in store. I hope my Wii U shop games are able to be downloaded on this. I would be so happy.

I wonder if they'll work Pokemon Go on this somehow.

moniker

Here is what I think the dock does.

It just charges the system and is a HDMI passthrough

The portable unit itself has a 540p screen and is underclocked to save battery life. When in docked mode the unit itself overclocks to allow 1080p on the TV.

I think something likes this makes a lot more sense than that the dock has any computing abilities.

As a huge Nintendo fan, I feel dizzy about this.

In one hand, the unified platform will mean no dry months in terms of first party software, but in the other hand, it won't catch the third party support Nintendo should try to recover.

Jb

I did a quick photoshop. To my understand NX concept is going to be somewhat like this? Of cause I am assuming the controller in the handheld form will not be like that, but somewhat more portable.

I doubt you'll be able to connect only one of the side controllers, I imagine it'll look more like one of those smartphone 3rd party controllers:

MOGA-MFi-iPhone-controller-EVLeaks-001.png

Natiko

Banned
I don't think I understand. So it has two controller attachments that slot in on either side of a screen when on the go? How do you play at home then, a separate controller? Would the two attachments just attach to each other? If you would just use it the same way as when on the go and it functions like a Wii U gamepad then why make them detachable at all?

JimmyK177

Neo Member
So does this mean the whole "industry-leading chips" rumor wasn't true? The only way I can think of that might make it still the case is if the NX uses Tegra X2, which, judging by the article, seems unlikely.

Also, what does that mean for Just Dance 2017 for NX? Has Just Dance ever been on a portable before?

The hell are you getting ps2 era graphics from? We are talking around Xbox One level, higher than Wii U by a good margin.

We are talking the Tegra X1 not the Xbox One, Unless there has been some revolution in battery technology then the NX isn't coming close to the Xbox One as that is the current thing holding back graphics in the portable scene, mid gen PS3 and Xbox 360 seems the most logical, Wii U levels would be a push unless there is a more powerful CPU/GPU that only gets used when plugged in the mains but damn I feel sorry for devs if that is the case.

I was never a handheld gamer, I don't even play games on my smart phone, so the only way this would be interesting to me is when it is considerably more powerful than everyone realistically expects it to be so it doesn't look out of placed if it is used stationary exclusively.

I have no idea about the current state of mobile technology but if I had to guess, this can't even be on WiiU levels, right?
Tegra X1 is about 3 times more powerful than Wii U.

I am happy that its both. No point in buying both and I prefer handhelds so I am glad the rumours are true. Sure we will never see Nintendo making super powerful consoles but that is something I am less interested in the older I get. This is at least a gimmick I would enjoy compared to the other previous restricted ones. What will be interesting is to see if they will do updates like they do with their handhelds. So I will likely not buy the console until revisions appear.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
It begins.... as a handheld gamer im really happy.

This. Very pleased. Cheers Big N, you already have one customer (and quite a few more it seems)

Cartridges are on point and cool as fuck. Can see Gamefreak taking advantage of coloured ones ala Red and Blue.

So finally some infos...yet I cant really wrap my hand around it.

It does sound very promising, yet somehow I don't get it...

Nintendo...make a quick Direct and just show it, if GAF doesnt get it right away, customers wont get it either :D

By effectively exiting it?

I guess it is something we haven't seen for...well... about 16 years.

The proposition that a handheld with TV-out is a 'home console' is not very convincing.

Nintendo has seemingly decided they don't have any distinct new ideas to get decent traction in the home space and have decided not to expensively tick that box for its own sake next cycle. They don't want another 5 years of a discrete home business weighing down profits and it seems they didn't have the confidence that it would be otherwise if they stuck with it. Maybe in the future they'll try again?

This echo of "it's not a home console" seems to a distinction without a difference. It seems we then may be in an era where these terms mean very little. If I can play it on my TV and by all indications it will have power better than a Wii U, it feels like its going to function as exactly that - a new home console. Whether every forum member agrees on that is moot. The added option of being able to get away from being in front of the TV helps as well and not having the limited range that the Wii U had.

Durante

Here is what I think the dock does.

It just charges the system and is a HDMI passthrough

The portable unit itself has a 540p screen and is underclocked to save battery life. When in docked mode the unit itself overclocks to allow 1080p on the TV.
That seems the most likely scenario by far.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I never gave up the idea of Tegra or some mobile chip tho. It just made sense for a console and handheld to share a library.

Tablets and smartphones do it now.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Wasn't the SNES more powerful than the Megadrive and the N64 more powerful than the PS1?

The GC was also more powerful than the PS2.

Nintendo usually designs hardware around what their internal teams want to make. The SNES had a weaker processor than the Megadrive for action games and it hobbled a lot of SNES games. But color palette, mode 7, and sound were more important to Nintendo.

The N64 required technology PS1 didn't have to create the kind of Mario 64 look they wanted. I think the Gamecube is the only time they tried to engineer something generally powerful in comparison to what existed at the time, without a single game that the hardware was built around. Ironically, it sold the least units of anything to that point.

What's unclear to me from the articles and I'm unsure as to whether I just missed it in there, but will all HH NX come with the base station, or will the HH also be sold separately?

We'll probably have to wait for the reveal for that. We're still at the 'all ps4s will bundle with the camera' stage.

Solid Raiden

Neo Member
Not sure how interested in something like this I am. I've owned every Nintendo console and handheld so I'm open to giving it a shot. Having a hard time envisioning it right now.

This sounds really bad for me. I have absolutely no interest in portable gaming devices so it just sounds like an underpowered home console to me. My hype is dying more and more each day.

Sounds like it isn't clamshell designed either, which means that in order for it to be portable you'll be walking around with three DS sized pieces. Gross.

If the console controller is also the handheld input device, does that mean no analog stick?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
The PS4 and XB1 are selling perfectly fine as graphical parity systems with very little gimmicky bullshit. Yet Nintendo insists on going the unique snowflake route. Personally this hurts my interest in the system a bit because it's going to make it harder to get a balance of good first and third party games.

1. I just don't think there's room for a third console fitting that mold. There's never been a generation with 3 successful "me too" consoles. Last gen was really the only time with 3 successful platforms, and that was with the Wii being very different. There's generally been 1 dominant console, maybe 1 ok runner up (Genesis, N64) and the rest failures sales wise.

2. Nintendo has just lost all relevance in that space. They long ago lost the console crowd that wants top notch graphics, realistic art systems, games like CoD, FIFA, Madden, GTA, AssCreed etc. etc. They're never getting that market back. They're just totally disassociated from those type of games/gamers.

So their only chance at succeeding as a hardware platform is to do something different that sells enough units to make them enough profits. Which is doable as attach rates for their games are so high and they have many more lucrative first party IPs than any other publisher. Add in selling accessories, Amiibo etc. and they can make a lot of money without needing the huge bases Sony and MS do.

Will this hybrid approach do that? Only time will tell. Having all their games in one place is a big benefit though as now everyone who buys an NX can buy all the games, vs. a lot of people being blocked out before as outside the hardcore few were owning both their consoles and portables. So this should bump up attach rates even more, and it helps address the issue that people in Japan don't give a shit about consoles, and people in the west (and especially the US) don't give a shit about portables and want to game on their big screens. Now both markets can buy all their games on one device regardless of how they like to play.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Say goodbye to multi platform titles on this hardware.

They were never going to get those games anyways. Double down on your strength- which is still Nintendo games- and also leverage Japanese 3rd party portable support.

Makonero

I'm concerned this will be too expensive for handheld gamers (especially kids--will you have to buy one for each kid? That's a nightmare) and too underpowered for console gamers. The whole problem is that they're consolidating two revenue streams (and two separate areas of risk) into one, so now they make less money and if it fails they have nothing to lean back on.

I'm just super skeptical.

matmanx1

Honestly I have no problem with a Tegra based hybrid console from Nintendo. I think their software strategy could only benefit from an "all in one" approach and they do handhelds better than anyone else.

To be able to take that handheld with you or come home and plug it in to the TV for traditional gaming would be beneficial. My only concern would be the controllers. I hope they are comfortable and fit adult hands.

Zee-Row

Banned
I may be wrong on this, but I believe your Wii U will continue to function after the release of the NX. Re-buying any games is just for your convenience, not a requirement for you to continue playing them.
It would be nice to have one less console to hook up. This is what people were trying me why going digital would be the best because they would always be with you between generations.

I'm pleased enough that i won't have to buy all the doubled-up franchises anymore.

I've got no idea how they're going to design this thing to NOT look like a Wii U Gamepad though. For it to be comfortable in both configs, it has to be about the same size, so you're essentially looking at the same thing just with the sides cut off:

cVZx6Wk.jpg

Gotta repurposes those parts somehow! Knowing their past marketing efforts, they'd probably walk right into an identity nightmare like this too.

It'd be better if the sides were identical and could attach left or right though - effectively including 2 simple controllers in the box.

bachikarn

LOL SO IT IS A HYBRID?

I never thought it would be, but damn so many people would shout anyone down who at the idea because Iwata implied it wouldn't be 3 years ago.

asagami_

Banned
I think is the most natural path Nintendo should have to take. I mean, they are king of handheld games and being capable of compete with Vita was a necessary condition to achieve.

I can't not WAIT to play my Megaten and japanese games on this console.

phanphare

Banned
Yeah and all that with Pokemon Go amazing success in the background. Exciting times ahead for the future direction of Nintendo.

I'm pretty much expecting all of Nintendo's mobile stuff to be playable on the NX, so that should help. I'm also halfway expecting them to have a solution for 3rd party mobile games to be playable on NX. for Japan especially if they make the NX seem like a logical upgrade from a mobile device that would be huge. ideally the games you own on your phone/tablet would be playable on NX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom