• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkam

This is great news. I have been using Nvidia's shield line as a comparison to what I expected from Nintendo. Glad to see they came to the same conclusion. I am 100% in on this idea.

Can you play 3DS games on it? Would make sense, right?

If not, will they continue to produce exclusive handheld games for the 3DS....while having another handheld?

neeksleep

AGITΩ;211447545 said:
So if this patent:

is to be applied to this rumor.
Would it be fair to assume that the Handheld portion would get a boost in performance when docked for home console use? I could see it helping with the cost of the screen if need be. Where it could run games at say slightly sub 720p on the Screen but when docked the performance boost would allow for better resolutions and graphic performance?

Yeah, this is how I'm reading it. Console mode = When in a dock (so better graphics, performance, more home-console-like features. Hand-held mode = detached and on the go. Lower graphical performance (using the Tegra, so not horrid), limited background features to keep battery performance in a somewhat useful level.

If there is no dock, then it probably just will change performance depending on if it detects a power supply or not.

Galava

A tablet just seems so big, even if it's Mini sized.

Is this really what people want?

iPadMinigaming.png

Nah, too big to be portable. Needs to be 5" or 5,5". More is just overkill and not portable at all. Needs to fit in pocket.

atbigelow

Yeah it seems the missing piece of this puzzle is the size. I don't think Nintendo is going to be making a tablet-sized piece of hardware.

But they might. They'll either go full tablet-sized or no larger than a 5" screen. This has huge battery implications: the only reason tablets have the battery life they do is because the majority of their physical shape is the battery. They also get better heat dissipation due to the size.

Tablets are inherently less portable, though. If their method is a "take this anywhere you go and dock when you get home!", a tablet goes against that idea.

Jarmel

Banned
Two full-sized controllers attached to a handheld would be the dumbest thing ever. I think Tom is just bad at explaining because the picture he showed completely contradicts his explanation.
Two full sized controllers does make sense if Nintendo wants this to be a 'community' sort of device. You won't be playing Smash Bros off the image he posted.

It doesn't make sense for size or ergonomic reasons however.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
If all I want is new F-Zero and Metroid Prime games, I am not sure if this is good news.

It will actually free up resources for them to make those games. they only have to concentrate on one system.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Starting fresh is for the best if they were going x86. Instead they're opting to use the Tegra.

But they are staying fresh by using Tegra....competing with mobile phones and tablets. Them using Tegra for this is amazing vs what they put in the 3DS. And compared to the 3DS vs the Vita spec wise. This is huge them using Tegra.

I really think going mobile, handheld only is in the near future for them. If this doesnt say it I dont know what else will except an official announcement from Nintendo themselves.

The SCD is a big, big X factor in all this with playing it on a TV tho.

And to be fair...I see articles every now n then about how mobile chips will be more powerful than an PS4, XBO in the future. I dont see it happening with NX tho but we will see.

tebunker

Banned
Does anyone have any legit technical insight into how the X1 would compare to the WiiU?
Honestly it is hard to do, and if this thing is getting X2s its pointless, and if it is getting any of Nvidias advancements over the last few years its really pointless.

Whats more important at this juncture is the price, and I have a feeling we may get a $200 dollar machine that is clearly aimed at the widest market.

mikeyvids

Neo Member
An absolutely central point of good VR is exact positional tracking of the headset and controllers. Unless the "dock" serves double duty as a high-refresh camera -- and I hardly think that Nintendo is looking to make this thing even more expensive -- there's not going to be any VR use case for this.

Brilliant idea. I was thinking Nintendo would experiment with VR on the lower end like they did with AR but this is a really great idea. Makes me think of the Sensor bar on Wii.

Durante

Does anyone have any legit technical insight into how the X1 would compare to the WiiU?
I've posted about that 3 times already in this thread, but let's go again.

It will certainly be a lot faster CPU wise, and faster and far more capable (in terms of compute and modern featureset) GPU wise.

Exactly how much faster it will end up being in both of those depends on the exact (likely custom) chip Nintendo ends up with, and how it is clocked in both portable and -- if distinct from that -- docked mode.

ultrazilla

Gimme all the cartridges! Glorious box art will be back!
Hopefully

Cartridges guys! Almost zero load times! Instant action! This is a huge deal to me.
Nostalgia factor as well!

Zalman

A tablet just seems so big, even if it's Mini sized.

Is this really what people want?

iPadMinigaming.png
The picture makes it look like the bottom half of a 3DS. I wouldn't worry about it. Considering this is meant to actually be portable (unlike the Wii U GamePad) I think they had portability in mind when designing it.

jstripes

Banned
Have you even given it a moment's consideration as to why Nintendo would opt for cartridges for a console like this?

Go ahead. Actually think about it for a moment, lol.

While you're at it, tell me what's wrong with cartridges in this day and age, since you seem to think that cartridges are as limited as they've ever been.

Nintendo might be stuck in the past but this is hardly an example of such.

People who laugh at cartridges at stuck in the past.

Things have changed dramatically since the "LOL cartridges" of the PSX vs N64 days.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It seems safe to say that any developer who supported the 3DS - and indies on the Wii U - would be down with this.

I definitely see Nintendo's future being iterative. i.e. From now on, the Nintendo machines will just be a line of updated NXes, like the Apple model.

Yep to both. It should be very good, especially if it sells well, for the indies and Japanese devs who's games don't sell all that well on X1/PS4.

And it definitely makes going iterative easier if it's a hybrid as they can just put out upgraded base stations for people who just want to boost the console portion, tablet upgrades for people who just want on the go boost in performance an so on.

phanphare

Banned
Nintendo still can't let the cartridge thing go all these years later. Ha, almost amusing how stuck in the past they are. Well, best of luck to them I guess, but it is hilarious they were worried about people copying this.

it's ironic because at this point being stuck in the past = sticking with discs

Nintendo still can't let the cartridge thing go all these years later. Ha, almost amusing how stuck in the past they are. Well, best of luck to them I guess, but it is hilarious they were worried about people copying this.

Cartridges for a handheld is outdated?

LMAO!!!!!!

Ummmmm maybe you're the one who needs a reality check?

aBarreras

I've posted about that 3 times already in this thread.

It will certainly be a lot faster CPU wise, and faster and far more capable (in terms of compute and modern featureset) GPU wise.

Exactly how much faster it will end up being in both of those depends on the exact (likely custom) chip Nintendo ends up with, and how it is clocked in both portable and -- if distinct from that -- docked mode.

put this on the op!

No chance that big third party games will be coming to this, especially given it's supposed lack of power.
Nintendo just... they just don't get it.

As a handheld, it'll succeed well enough, but you might as well not even have a console mode given this thing will probably be running games at 720p, if we're lucky.

Yeah, this is how I'm reading it. Console mode = When in a dock (so better graphics, performance, more home-console-like features. Hand-held mode = detached and on the go. Lower graphical performance (using the Tegra, so not horrid), limited background features to keep battery performance in a somewhat useful level.

If there is no dock, then it probably just will change performance depending on if it detects a power supply or not.
This is the big thing.

Nah, too big to be portable. Needs to be 5" or 5,5". More is just overkill and not portable at all. Needs to fit in pocket.
With your smartphone that will be about as powerful, does more, and will also have a selection of Nintendo titles. I'm understanding the need for this handheld less and less.

RM8

The N64 controller is admittedly problematic, but you can't call the GameCube controller anything but perfect if you expect to maintain credibility ;)
It hardly has a d-pad, though. It can't be perfect because of that. Also, there's no reason why they couldn't have added two Z buttons, one on each side.

Astral Dog

There's a marketing effect where essentially your last product's sales will tank when the new one is announced. There is even a term (that I can't remember right now). Considering this is in both their segments, I think that it makes sense.

thanks, i guess its weird to just state it as lie, im surprised Iwata denied that instead of being vague about an "hybrid" system

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom