• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

wii u leaks came from ubisoft due to early zombi u/rayman legends stuff. considering eurogamer leaked this and not ign or whatever, i think ubisoft, especially the montpellier part of ubisoft, could have done it again as guillemot seems to be pretty positive about the thing.

which guarantees beyond good & evil 2 as an exclusive game for the machine
except it gets delayed seven months so it can be on ps3 and 360 as well

Siege.exe

I don't know why, but primarily being a handheld with a stationary option feels more appealing to me than primarily being a console with a mobile option.

crinale

My bad about assuming the WiiU had more 1080p games.

Another interesting thing to consider is how often will Nintendo refresh these devices? If it's an IOS/Android type situation we could get a new SKU every year. That could allow Nintendo to start at a higher price point (299USD) then price drop for Christmas. Then release the NX2 in 2018 and create a viable price drop on the NX1

I think NX will be definition of a platform just like Playstation and Xbox have become.

EhoaVash

does this mean we won't be getting xbox one level games on the thing? like we might get a little more powerful wii u with better resolution/framerate, but no way will Pikmin 4 look like a "current gen" meaning the textures won't look current gen, etc?

if so, i'm sad

Media Create tells me that the PS4 often has trouble keeping up with a Nintendo handheld from 2011.

Keeping up how ?
I don't even think MC has DD only titles sales.
Also when saying like PS2 i sure hope he don't mean low budget games.
No system will ever have exclusives software like PS2 ever again .

I'm excited to see something different. Of course, consolidating their games' lineup onto one system will be great. The logistics though of handheld/console experiences will be tough to figure out... some games are just better suited for one style.

I just feel like Nintendo is "done" in the home space as a titan unless they get lucky Wii lightning again. Which might not be impossible but seems highly unlikely. They've swung and missed 2/3 times with their last 3 consoles and the "average gamer" completely disregards the Wii beyond Wii Sports/Smash/Mario Kart.

I also think releasing this far into the console gen is just asking for trouble... how many people are already invested in one "side" and won't even consider a second console? They're banking on kids, I guess, but they're already glued to tablets/Minecraft/Pokemon Go.

Good luck Nintendo. You're gonna need it, but I'm still rooting for you.

Nanashrew

Banned
Well there are no multiplats between ps4 and 3ds so the comparison isn't really fair. Also I don't see the nx taking Japan support from ps4 any time soon.

I mean 3DS already has most of Japan's support. If 3DS devs move onto NX, that's a lot of great games all in one place.

As for the Vita, devs will have to move on from it at some point. To where, I dunno. But they'll have to especially if more start getting into Unreal Engine 4.

tr1p1ex

How is this thing going to do multiplayer when you are out and about. The vita had a version that worked on cell networks how did that work out? You think people are going to add this to their plan and pay more money on a bill they already want to be cheaper? Unlikely so multiplayer when you are out is probably going to be limited at best.

Then there's the fact that it's an additional device. Men are out of pockets. Women have purses but I doubt very many of them want to be carrying around a purse full of electronics. Tablets are already on a steep decline, if this thing is as big as or bigger than your cellphone then Nintendo is out of luck. Most people are not going to carry their cellphone and this at the same time. I have a 3ds that I haven't even turned on in two years because I simply don't have any more pocket space and, just like most Americans, I drive to work. My commute is not conducive to playing games. I know that's big in Japan and this thing might be awesome in Japan. I don't see it doing all that well here.

I just think Nintendo is stuck in the past. I agree they want out of the console market and with a quickness but there are better ways of going about that. This is the age of the cellphone, a competing device is not likely to do well considering just how powerful cellphones are, and will be, going into the next year.

Not going to be a small pocketable handheld. I don't think multiplayer gaming over cellular data is the point of this device. But the possibility exists that the NX could talk to a smartphone setup as a mobile hotspot.

Ashodin

hqdefault.jpg

God I love this video

sOmrF5s.gif

Also NX being portable is just fine with me. I want to take Zelda on the go

ALSO THAT MEANS POKEMON CAN BE MAIN CONSOLE AGAIN :O

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
wii u leaks came from ubisoft due to early zombi u/rayman legends stuff. considering eurogamer leaked this and not ign or whatever, i think ubisoft, especially the montpellier part of ubisoft, could have done it again as guillemot seems to be pretty positive about the thing.

This has all the makings of a controlled leak by Nintendo. Has one of their consoles ever been unveiled like this?

AniHawk

I'm excited to see something different. Of course, consolidating their games' lineup onto one system will be great. The logistics though of handheld/console experiences will be tough to figure out... some games are just better suited for one style.

I just feel like Nintendo is "done" in the home space as a titan unless they get lucky Wii lightning again. Which might not be impossible but seems highly unlikely. They've swung and missed 2/3 times with their last 3 consoles and the "average gamer" completely disregards the Wii beyond Wii Sports/Smash/Mario Kart.

I also think releasing this far into the console gen is just asking for trouble... how many people are already invested in one "side" and won't even consider a second console? They're banking on kids, I guess, but they're already glued to tablets/Minecraft/Pokemon Go.

it would be better to look at how their handheld side has performed in the last five years or so. by the time the nx launches, the 3ds will be six years old. smash bros., mario kart, 2d mario, 3d mario, and 3d zelda have all done really well on 3ds, so i don't think nintendo necessarily needs the console market considering it's basically been a drain on resources for the last 20 years.

KingBroly

Banned

I'd probably go with NOE having a leaky pipe somewhere.

They could advertise their strictly moderated app-store environment as kids-friendly to appeal to parents with kids.. but yeah I may be imagining to far :p

If I have to think like a parent.

Option A: Shut my kids up with free games on my old phone.
Option B: Shut my kids up with 60 euro games on a 250 euro toy.

I think I would choose A.

I mean 3DS already has most of Japan's support. If 3DS devs move onto NX, that's a lot of great games all in one place.

As for the Vita, devs will have to move on from it at some point. To where, I dunno. But they'll have to especially if more start getting into Unreal Engine 4.

They will move to PS4 or they there already
Just like how they do vita and PS4 ports .
They will just do NX and PS4 port using UE4 would make it no problem .
Some devs that were 3ds only might even start porting to PS4 and PC with how east it might be .

Ubernube

Well there are no multiplats between ps4 and 3ds so the comparison isn't really fair. Also I don't see the nx taking Japan support from ps4 any time soon.

As I see it, most games that are Vita/PS4 simultaneous releases will likely start including NX as one of their platforms, making it Vita/PS4/NX. Developers that stuck with the 3DS will likely stay exclusive to the NX, although some may branch off if porting to and from the console is easy (someone earlier in the thread said that sources from earlier said it was, so it just might be). The same applies to developers who mainly stuck with the PS4, they may branch off to the NX with ports if porting is easy. But I doubt you'll see devs just up and leaving entire consoles/ecosystems behind, too risky if their audience is built on a console and ecosystem they've stuck with.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I don't see why casual gamers would want to buy this. Nintendo have sacrificed powerful hardware in order to sell a handheld device to people who rather download Pokemon Go and Candy Crush on their mobile phone for free and enjoy the heck out of it. And others are happily satisfied with their well established PS4 and XBO. They probably threw third party out the window as well.

I'm dying to see this in action! Nintendo always has my support. They've been my primary source of entertainment for two-and-a-half decades, always innovating and always delivering the best experiences for me. I'm ready to see what they have in store for us next with the NX!

Persona7

Banned
This has all the makings of a controlled leak by Nintendo. Has one of their consoles ever been unveiled like this?

One of the tweets from yesterday kind of references that this might be the case. Apparently journalists also talked with the chip manufacturers so that sounds like it was planned.

TheXbox

I don't think the generational cadence matters so much with the Neo and Scorpio out soon. People are going to feel pressured to buy new hardware this Christmas, NX or not.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I don't see why casual gamers would want to buy this. Nintendo have sacrificed powerful hardware in order to sell a handheld device to people who rather download Pokemon Go and Candy Crush on their mobile phone for free and enjoy the heck out of it. And others are happily satisfied with their well established PS4 and XBO.

If it's cheap enough and has a steady flow of good software, it could get a sizeable chunk of core gamers as well. Remember the critical reception as well as the reception on GAF for Zelda at E3.

LordRaptor

Huh, usually Eurogamer leaks are from UK devs - I'm trying to think what UK devs are left that would conceivably be important enough as a third party to have devkits.
Travellers Tales?

psyfi

Banned
If I have to think like a parent.

Option A: Shut my kids up with free games on my old phone.
Option B: Shut my kids up with 60 euro games on a 250 euro toy.

I think I would choose A.
That's fine, but there are millions of parents who buy their kids gaming devices. How do you think kids are getting them? Not to mention parents today grew up on Nintendo and still play video games themselves.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
A Tegra X2 would place the NX closer to the XBox One than the Xbox One is to the PS4 in raw performance.

Plinko

Huh, usually Eurogamer leaks are from UK devs - I'm trying to think what UK devs are left that would conceivably be important enough as a third party to have devkits.
Travellers Tales?

This is WAY too big of a leak, especially if the rumors about this NDA being way more strict are true. It had to be planned.

Gives fans something to chew on until Nintendo gets the real presentation ready.

zaldrisez said:
Sounds like wishful thinking to me. Why wouldn't the new version be in the dev kit then?

Why are there fans and active cooling on a Tegra X1?

PrinceKee

You mean no 3rd party AAA western support exclusively, right?

Yep, guess I should have clarified. No traditional ports either and more games like we saw on 3DS. Won't be playing NBA2K or madden on the go or GTA6. Maybe GTA6 spinoff or something...

Pandy

I can't think of any circumstances in which Nintendo would choose that crappy line drawing to be the first public image of the NX.

crinale

As I see it, most games that are Vita/PS4 simultaneous releases will likely start including NX as one of their platforms, making it Vita/PS4/NX. Developers that stuck with the 3DS will likely stay exclusive to the NX, although some may branch off if porting to and from the console is easy (someone earlier in the thread said that sources from earlier said it was, so it just might be). The same applies to developers who mainly stuck with the PS4, they may branch off to the NX with ports if porting is easy. But I doubt you'll see devs just up and leaving entire consoles/ecosystems behind, too risky if their audience is built on a console and ecosystem they've stuck with.

It really depends on what publishers think.. I mean, those games aren't leaving out WiiU for no reason (i.e. general "otaku" games better stay away from family-friendly platform, with games like Tales and Persona included).
That being said if NX becomes monopoly platform like SNES or PS2 then all games will be there.. I think.

tronic307

If it has to be the X1 i at least hope it's on 16/14nm
If it's 16/14nm it's got to be Pascal or a custom chip that would be expensive anyway. Devkit is said to have a Tegra X1 with a fan and heatsink so that would be too power hungry. It's got to be Pascal Tegra. What kind of battery life would a Tegra X1 handheld have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom