• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

quest

Not Banned from OT
My main concern for the new Nintendo system:
1. Online service. Account tied to hardware is simply ridiculous. Also, I don't like the current e-shop.
2. Region Lock.
3. OS. I think both 3DS and WiiU have crappy OS.

Really hope Nintendo can put their shit together this time.

Handheld-only gamers will be glad to play Zelda on the go. Console-only gamers can finally get Pokemon and Monster Hunter. I think they are both fine. I think it's for the best of both worlds. The less hardware I need to buy the better.

For you sure but a console only gamer is wasting at least half the the cost of the system on a handheld that will never leave the docking station. If someone is not interested in handheld gaming the current rumored NX is not for them. I hope the rumor is false and we see a TV only console at launch with the handheld. So then everyone can have something they want.

Nia

Since the rumor shows I could still get a console like experience, I'd be okay with this. Being able to take the games anywhere could also be a nice bonus. That being said, I never put any stock in rumors, regardless of whatever insider says it. I'll wait for Nintendo to unveil the NX themselves.

Schnozberry

X1 is not an early chip. The system will be released next spring. Anyone who thinks there will be a significant change to the spec from this point is delusional.

We're presuming that Eurogamer has the most up to date information, which is a dubious assumption at best.

X1 is not an early chip. The system will be released next spring. Anyone who thinks there will be a significant change to the spec from this point is delusional.

Wasn't the release delayed from initial projections? I imagine that if Nintendo is in deep with Nvidia they would be able to get the new chip hot off the line.

The dev units are overclocked. This is an indication that what the devs are getting might not fully reflect the final product.

Leizt

Neo Member
I realized that some of you are having problems visualizing the concept so I made this mock-up explaining all of the possible uses for the NX concept based on the original drawing from Eurogamer.

In this first picture, you can see the NX in its most basic form a simple device that can play simple games like Professor Layton or even Mario Kart with its motion sensors and touch screen.

If you turn it in portrait mode the NX plays mobile games (ported or created for mobile like Nintendo upcoming mobile games.) like a champ.

Once things get more complex let's say, Zelda, you slide in the control modules.

(I think that sliding it instead of attaching it will help with durability) as you can see in this picture each of the controller pieces being connected have their own simple gyros as well and could be used as a Wii-Mote.

In this form, you can play games as you would with a 3DS (but with a full set of buttons) when not using the main unit you slide the controllers in a simple shell in order to have a standard controller.

Now you can use the main unit in its base connected to a TV or use the main unit as a monitor.

And using the stand you can enjoy video apps.

Finally, when connected to its doc outputting to the TV the screen could show some basic info (like the gamepad) or be turned off (like the gamepad) in order to charge faster .

I hope this helps to illustrate the NX concept.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Let's say X1 is the chip being used for early kits, and is replaced by a stronger chip. Would a Tegra Pascal chip bring NX closer to Xbox One/PS4 performance levels?

The issue is the size of the SoC. They can't make it much bigger, if at all, so it could only be about 40% better than the X1, tops.

You'd be surprised how late in the game final kits are sent out. They could still have until around October, especially since Pascal and Maxwell are extremely similar. I'm still not sure how much I buy that it was delayed for games and nothing else.

BD1

Banned
Then i got it.
Maybe the NX is reallly centered about the idea of a completely easy to transport, (on the "go" you know), self sufficient device that allows for super fun things between friends, in a living room, in the street, in a park, at a friend's house... Maybe that's the whole marketing idea here. It's like the Wii was at some point, a family friendly device for immediate fun, except it's super flexible, everyone can have his own and play all sort of things, (and that means also why not, AR multiplayer board games for exemple). Like.. The NX would be, more like a set of card than a console in the spirit.

I think you're on to something.

I've never forgotten the original Wii U hype video, where two people are playing reversi on the GamePad. The inference was that the GamePad can detach home gaming from the television, and users could play all sorts of games together independent of the console/TV tether.

Of course, we know this never really materialized, for a variety of reasons. The NX would be able to deliver on that quite easily. Gaming not just on your TV, but in your home, on the road, etc.

AniHawk

Parker would offer improved ability to switch around and just general better performance than X1.

Parker would also be 16nm instead of 20nm offering better power usage, run cooler etc.

i guess it depends on costs then. nintendo's modus operandi since the 90s has basically been how to get people to playing their game as fast as possible. iwata seemed to be happy to announce the reduction in load times, and it was a main feature in the new 3ds.

Wasn't the release delayed from initial projections? I imagine that if Nintendo is in deep with Nvidia they would be able to get the new chip hot off the line.

The dev units are overclocked. This is an indication that what the devs are getting might not fully reflect the final product.

Given the rumors of Nvidia being desperate for a console "win" to the point they were willing to give Nintendo a crazy deal, the sudden seemingly delay and no show at E3 of NX, and the overclocked X1 chips using added cooling I think there is quite a bit of evidence X2 could be this consoles architecture. Also DF brought up a great point about how silent Nvidia actually is on X2 performance and things get interesting

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
But when you buy one game from e-shop, can you download it from another system with the same account?

Active cooling and loud fans for a Tegra X1 doesn't make a ton of sense. That's what I'm curious about.

Hakai

While i was thinking about that thing that bugs me, about the two detachable controllers and what would be the concept around that, i had some kind of revelation.

Cause i was lwatching the digital foundry vid and the guy talked about the two pads as if it was so huge to have two pads out of the box, and i was like.. Are you fucking kidding me.. Are we all pretending there is anything new about giving away a secondary pad ? I mean it's just a good deal, but local multiplayer was there all along..

Then i got it.
Maybe the NX is reallly centered about the idea of a completely easy to transport, (on the "go" you know), self sufficient device that allows for super fun things between friends, in a living room, in the street, in a park, at a friend's house... Maybe that's the whole marketing idea here. It's like the Wii was at some point, a family friendly device for immediate fun, except it's super flexible, everyone can have his own and play all sort of things, (and that means also why not, AR multiplayer board games for exemple). Like.. The NX would be, more like a set of card than a console in the spirit.

So you could play with a friend everywhere by docking the screen somewhere (maybe it has some kind of ipad skin that can become a support you know, that couldl actually make it pretty fashionable), but why not imagining you could also for example plug one to a tv, and having a friend come with his NX, and you would be able to play a 4 player game on tv, maybe more. And why not use it for their infamous asynchronous (is that it) gameplay, with some players on the tv and some others on their NW screen.

Think about it. We know Nintendo always try again and again. What they failed on GBA, then DS, then with the WiiU. All those multiplayer concepts with different configurations... They can finally have it, with the proper marketing.

Just one device, really small, simple, and it can be used for so many things to have fun with your friends. And those two detachable pads probably have gyros to, so that little NX device can also create Wii fun for everyone on the go. What if a NX can recognize multiple controllers, so you can for exemple be in a park with your friends, and everyone detaches the controllers and put the NX on the ground, and everyone is playing Just Dance in the wild..

basically, sorry i'm long.. But yeah the NX would be centered around the idea that it's super small, simple, cheap, and can be used for so many gaming ideas between friends (everything Ubi has been asking for) everywhere.

That's learning everything from the Wii, but also from Monster Hunter and the whole community aspect of the biggest gaming success in Japan. You make people play in group.

I can already see the 80's commercial. I can also see a Wii like sucess if they have the right software with it (some genius multiplayer party game on the go).

Ok my friend you got it! Now I'm almost sold on this idea!! I can see this being a thing.

While i was thinking about that thing that bugs me, about the two detachable controllers and what would be the concept around that, i had some kind of revelation.

Cause i was lwatching the digital foundry vid and the guy talked about the two pads as if it was so huge to have two pads out of the box, and i was like.. Are you fucking kidding me.. Are we all pretending there is anything new about giving away a secondary pad ? I mean it's just a good deal, but local multiplayer was there all along..

Then i got it.

So you could play with a friend everywhere by docking the screen somewhere (maybe it has some kind of ipad skin that can become a support you know, that couldl actually make it pretty fashionable), but why not imagining you could also for example plug one to a tv, and having a friend come with his NX, and you would be able to play a 4 player game on tv, maybe more. And why not use it for their infamous asynchronous (is that it) gameplay, with some players on the tv and some others on their NW screen.

Think about it. We know Nintendo always try again and again. What they failed on GBA, then DS, then with the WiiU. All those multiplayer concepts with different configurations... They can finally have it, with the proper marketing.

Just one device, really small, simple, and it can be used for so many things to have fun with your friends. And those two detachable pads probably have gyros to, so that little NX device can also create Wii fun for everyone on the go. What if a NX can recognize multiple controllers, so you can for exemple be in a park with your friends, and everyone detaches the controllers and put the NX on the ground, and everyone is playing Just Dance in the wild..

basically, sorry i'm long.. But yeah the NX would be centered around the idea that it's super small, simple, cheap, and can be used for so many gaming ideas between friends (everything Ubi has been asking for) everywhere.

That's learning everything from the Wii, but also from Monster Hunter and the whole community aspect of the biggest gaming success in Japan. You make people play in group.

I can already see the 80's commercial. I can also see a Wii like sucess if they have the right software with it (some genius multiplayer party game on the go).
If nintendo market the nx like this im all in

gafneo

Banned
I realized that some of you are having problems visualizing the concept so I made this mock-up explaining all of the possible uses for the NX concept based on the original drawing from Eurogamer.

In this first picture, you can see the NX in its most basic form a simple device that can play simple games like Professor Layton or even Mario Kart with its motion sensors and touch screen.

If you turn it in portrait mode the NX plays mobile games (ported or created for mobile like Nintendo upcoming mobile games.) like a champ.

Once things get more complex let's say, Zelda, you slide in the control modules.

(I think that sliding it instead of attaching it will help with durability) as you can see in this picture each of the controller pieces being connected have their own simple gyros as well and could be used as a Wii-Mote.

In this form, you can play games as you would with a 3DS (but with a full set of buttons) when not using the main unit you slide the controllers in a simple shell in order to have a standard controller.

Now you can use the main unit in its base connected to a TV or use the main unit as a monitor.

Finally, when connected to its doc outputting to the TV the screen could show some basic info (like the gamepad) or be turned off (like the gamepad) in order to charge faster .

I like how the motion controllers have cuts for the screen and middle pad thing to slide in. Maybe any mobile screen can fit into this thing.

orioto

Good Art™
And just to post a little exemple of the kind of thing that will make it huge and super mainstream.

Imagine you got kids, 2 kids, and you're in a dense traffic stuck in the car, it's raining. They're bored. They can take their NX, unplugged the controllers, put the screen between them on the seat, and play some game, i don't know, some tennis game on the screen with their two controllers.

Do you see the 80' commercial to ? With the 2 kids playing at the back of the car (they kept their belt of course!)?

I hope you read that in Don Draper's voice!

Majukun

There has to be some feature Nintendo is hiding, something innovative enough that that would cause them to delay its reveal. Because what has leaked so far (although cool)doesn't seem all that groundbreaking.

the delay as probably due to them wanting to have a huge lineup of game s for day one and the months following

the whole thing regarding not wanting to be copied by their rivals was probably PR bullshit

Question for the insiders here in gaf. What are the odds destiny comes to NX?? Day zero if so, with some D on the go!! Would be sweet. Zelda looks sic too!

maxcriden

Probably not that much worse than i-pad in a thick case. Pretty easy to stuff in a bag.

My gut feeling which could still be wildly wrong is that it's not that big. We know 3-5'' screens were rumored and that's in 3DS to 3DS XL top screen range. Then you've got the controllers, sure, but who knows quite how those fit onto the system. The bottom line for me is that the JP market IIRC has shown a strong preference for smaller handhelds so I'd be pretty surprised to see it be iPad size.

Question for the insiders here in gaf. What are the odds destiny comes to NX?? Day zero if so, with some D on the go!! Would be sweet. Zelda looks sic too!

Not an insider, but I imagine it is 5% at this point. Sorry. :(

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

Wouldn't Destiny on the go require a constant WiFI connection or for the system to have 3G/4G? I thought Destiny was an always-online game.

Darkangel

I don't get the point of the detachable side controller things. Why not just keep the 3DS form factor and include a dock/regular controller?

I would hate to have to play a console using an ergonomically compromised handheld controller design.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Active cooling and loud fans for a Tegra X1 doesn't make a ton of sense. That's what I'm curious about.

Actually, the Shield TV has active cooling. It's very quiet though.

The thermal solution is excellent, and the frame rates were consistent across all the benchmark runs. Thanks to the low-power SoC, the chassis temperature was just 34 C (ambient at 23 C). The fan noise was audible only when we kept our ears against the vents in the back panel.

Also, as I said before, all of the current consoles had far more powerful early dev kits than the final versions, though it is possible that all of them were simply downgraded.

jdmonmou

This is about 5.5'' without scale it's hard to imagine the actual size.
I just hope Nintendo isn't trying to compete with Apple and make an iPad for kids. This thing needs to be easily portable. If it's the same size as an iPad that won't be good. I definitely wouldn't take it outside the house.

ZOONAMI

No way I'm fitting that in my pocket

There's no way I'm putting a 3ds or vita in my pocket either. They belong in a case, in your bag, imo. I guess for all the cargo pants people out there this is a major let down, but who wears cargo pants ;)

Jk I do realize pocket ability is a good thing, but I don't think very many people are going about their days with a 3ds in their pocket all day. I guess it's good for a trip to the pooper while at work, but I don't think anyone should really be doing that lol. Yall playing games in the bathroom for an hour while everyone else is working ;)

Big One

Banned
I wonder if the "appeal to the casuals" thing might be the fact that you can use the thing as a standard tablet rather than just a handheld gaming console. I wonder if Nintendo plans on using it as a tablet device that is able to browse the internet and use apps on the go just as much as making it an actual gaming console. If it uses the Android architecture as rumored, that might be how it works.

That way it's literally a tablet + a 3DS + a home console all in one package which could be killer depending on the price.

And just to post a little exemple of the kind of thing that will make it huge and super mainstream.

Imagine you got kids, 2 kids, and you're in a dense traffic stuck in the car, it's raining. They're bored. They can take their NX, unplugged the controllers, put the screen between them on the seat, and play some game, i don't know, some tennis game on the screen with their two controllers.

Do you see the 80' commercial to ? With the 2 kids playing at the back of the car (they kept their belt of course!)?

Didn't think about it from a parent perspective. Man September needs to hurry up and get here.

Wii name is dead. Nintendo Go, maybe.

NintenGo?

Fantastical

Death Prophet

I'm not an insider, but I can't see that happening. I would assume that this won't get any Western third party support and go from there.

I wonder if the "appeal to the casuals" thing might be the fact that you can use the thing as a standard tablet rather than just a handheld gaming console. I wonder if Nintendo plans on using it as a tablet device that is able to browse the internet and use apps on the go just as much as making it an actual gaming console. If it uses the Android architecture as rumored, that might be how it works.

That way it's literally a tablet + a 3DS + a home console all in one package which could be killer depending on the price.

This rumor explicitly says it's not Android and anyways I would not imagine it running Android. That's just not how Nintendo rolls.

Nilaul

Why bother with the extra piece when detaching the controllers from the screen? Just shove a start and select on the detachable controller and call it a day, its more comfortable and cheaper.

AmyS

The ping is still unlikely to be fast enough given Nintendo's emphases on real-time performance. . But even if it were, connections aren't reliable enough for that to be feasible for Nintendo.

There is literally no chance in hell Nintendo is even contemplating this. It only adds costs and complications for something that Nintendo doesn't even need given the types of games they usually make. They also can't bank on everyone having a fast enough connection--or even a connection at all.

But if the SCD is physically connected (not a LAN / router) with a high-bandwidth port (i.e like Thunderbolt 3.0) there would be no ping since it's not going over the internet, locally.

maxcriden

BTW, Leizt, loving your mock-up but I think Eurogamer clarified via Twitter that each side of the HH is its own separate detachable controller, so there are two separate detachable controllers on the HH. Maybe I misunderstood the image but it looked to me like you were going for a 0.5 + 0.5 = 1 controller idea (which is what I'd originally thought was the case, too.)

I don't get the point of the detachable side controller things. Why not just keep the 3DS form factor and include a dock/regular controller?

I would hate to have to play a console using an ergonomically compromised handheld controller design.

I agree. I have to imagine the bundled HH and dock will also include an extra controller, or allow you to buy a separate one (a different one than the detachable ones).

I like the idea, but FWIW I think the Eurogamer article said a proprietary OS was expected.

But if the SCD is physically connected (not a LAN / router) with a high-bandwidth port & cable, there would be no ping since it's not going over the internet, locally.

As I already clarified, I wasn't talking about local SCDs; the entire conversation stemmed from a Cloud-based solution, which is what I was addressing

So it's basically this

Razer_Edge__2__02.jpg

I didn't think it was possible, but that thing looks more hideous than the Wii U game pad.

I wonder how aesthetically pleasing it will look. I hope it's something simple and sleek. Preferably black instead of white.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom