• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefil

Why haven't I seen anyone in here talking about underclocked CPU while in portable mode? Running the GPU in low power and scaling down FPS/res is "easy" to do in that it doesn't affect the game. How would devs handle having a fraction of the CPU available, though? That could really limit games playable on this thing...

Honestly, even if they are using the X2, Xbox One level performance in a handheld sounds like a pipe dream, unless you want like 2 hours of battery life or a $400 price tag. We can always talk about the magic dock, but that's simple speculation. And again, would probably mean an expensive price tag if included, or fragmentation if sold separately, both of which Nintendo seems keen on avoiding.

Nintendo is, very obviously, abandoning the tradition console business model. They're betting on their own IPs, indies, and mobile developers with NX. And honestly, as someone who already owns a PS4 and a decent PC, I'm fine with it. I'm more excited about all of Nintendo focusing development on one platform, and being able to play games like BotW on the go.

Does half of the power of Xbox One sound like a pipe dream? Because that chip already exists. It's called the Tegra X1. Do you not expect the X2 to at least double its performance?

Azoo

Neo Member
Jesus christ no

Nintendo needs to bury that console and its branding once and for all.

While I agree, Nintendo could just as easily make a Wii U2 if they wanted, with or without you (or any of us) on board. I still haven't found what I was looking for with a new Nintendo console, and it'd be a beautiful day when they realize where they went wrong... but at least us fans can make something even better than the real thing okay i've played this joke into the earth's core at this point

Does half of the power of Xbox One sound like a pipe dream? Because that chip already exists. It's called the Tegra X1. Do you not expect the X2 to at least double its performance?
The availability of raw power in a small firm factor is not what people are having issues with. It's the idea that they could fit that much power into a mobile form factor with acceptable heat and battery life, all at an affordable price point.

I just don't see it happening.

Why haven't I seen anyone in here talking about underclocked CPU while in portable mode? Running the GPU in low power and scaling down FPS/res is "easy" to do in that it doesn't affect the game. How would devs handle having a fraction of the CPU available, though? That could really limit games playable on this thing...

CPU, especially A72, doesn't have troubles maintaining high clocks.

onQ123

I'm willing to bet that Nintendo will be using Nvidia Grid

gfgrid-header.png

Oregano

Honestly, even if they are using the X2, Xbox One level performance in a handheld sounds like a pipe dream, unless you want like 2 hours of battery life or a $400 price tag. We can always talk about the magic dock, but that's simple speculation. And again, would probably mean an expensive price tag if included, or fragmentation if sold separately, both of which Nintendo seems keen on avoiding.

Nintendo is, very obviously, abandoning the tradition console business model. They're betting on their own IPs, indies, and mobile developers with NX. And honestly, as someone who already owns a PS4 and a decent PC, I'm fine with it. I'm more excited about all of Nintendo focusing development on one platform, and being able to play games like BotW on the go.

Theoretically the dock wouldn't have to be magical. It would just have to somehow allow the chipset to run at full capacity which would probably mean some form of cooling. No idea how that works.

I imagine the portable will be rendering a relatively low resolution(720p at absolute maximum) in which case if they went with a state of the art chip like the Tegra X2 would probably make some XBO caliber games possible.

SkyOdin

I hope they take care of the heat, I can't use my smartphone to play games because after 20 min it's like a fireball in my hands. Ok for the power, but don't sacrifice the usability.

Based on the idea of having two detachable controllers, I am inclined to think that this portable is designed around the idea of placing it down on a table or desk and sitting back to play it from a few feet away. That sort of set-up would better support local multiplayer. The NX probably has some sort of folding stand built into the back of the device to make this easier. If that is the case, then heat might not be as big of a problem.

While I agree, Nintendo could just as easily make a Wii U2 if they wanted, with or without you (or any of us) on board. I still haven't found what I was looking for with a new Nintendo console, and it'd be a beautiful day when they realize where they went wrong... but at least us fans can make something even better than the real thing okay i've played this joke into the earth's core at this point

This is terrible. You are terrible.
I secretly like some U2 stuff.

maxcriden

Credibly?

The Eurogamer report is the only semi credible thing we possible have outside of the small tidbits of official Nintendo commentary on what the NX is

All we have is Eurogamer posting about one thing that may or may not be completely true, or even incomplete. It's very possible that everything they've said is true and that's what everyone knows in preparation for the supposed September announcement. The thing is they're the only source and no one else is talking at all. This is the only information we have, and if we follow what Iwata stated along with the Eurogamer story, it still makes sense if two SKUs do actually exist. We just know about one for now.

The problem is no one's saying anything other than what Eurogamer reported. That's literally the only reliable report on NX out there for now.

Right, all very true. I guess at this point I'm taking the Eurogamer story at face value alone but I understand there might be a lot more to it that just hasn't gotten out there yet.

Wasn't their a patent with a console and a cartridge from Nintendo? Like a few months ago.

Hmm, not sure. Were you able to find it?

Maztorre

I'm willing to bet that Nintendo will be using Nvidia Grid

gfgrid-header.png

If you seriously think a company that consistently releases highly responsive 60fps titles in predominantly action-oriented genres is going to jump on cloud streaming, on a portable device with unreliable network connectivity, then you are deluding yourself. Holy crap.

The availability of raw power in a small firm factor is not what people are having issues with. It's the idea that they could fit that much power into a mobile form factor with acceptable heat and battery life, all at an affordable price point.

I just don't see it happening.

At the right cooling, clock speeds and fab process, I don't think it would be impossible, but I guess we'll see.

We also have to keep in mind that this will be a custom chip, so further improvements can be made to accommodate the form factor.

CronoShot

NX seems to be large smartphone/small tablet sized. You have to consider thermals and battery life. Not to mention price.

An X2 could get relatively close even with those in mind, but I don't see it matching the XB1.

Fredrik

I think we're talking 27gigaflops (but i read somewhere 50 for the gpu) for the Vita versus more or less 500 gigaflops for the NX.
If we're talking 500 gigaflops for the NX versus 1500-6000 gigaflops for XB1/PS4/Neo/Scorpio and if NX arrives next year then it'll totally take that PSP/Vita spot in the industry, just a few years later. And just like PSP/Vita it'll be too weak for console ports so it'll live or die depending on the quality (and quantity) of the exclusives. It needs to be cheap too. And easy to carry in a pocket.

My hope is that there still are some more cool secret features heavily guarded by the ninjas, I'm not sold on the concept as it's detailed in the OP.

The upside is that I really liked Vita when it had first party support and I doubt that Nintendo will just leave it to rot if it sells badly as Sony did, especially if they're banking on this console to succeed both 3DS and WiiU. One platform; Super Mario Galaxy 3 on the go, Zelda BotW on the go, Pokémon on the TV, hmm, it might work I guess.

It'd be interesting if Nintendo made the tablet similar to the patent they had for that oval shaped screen. There could be one attachment that allows you to insert it into a more classic controller design with handles, D-pad, stick and buttons. The other attachment could be a clamshell design where the Oval screen functions as the top of the clamshell and the bottom half has the buttons, sticks, and D-pad. Have the Oval tablet be about 7" long and be able to play some games without either attachment. Here is the design/Mockup I'm referring to:

nintendo-patent-1024x768.jpg

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
One thing that the locked FFVII NX thread got me thinking about...

A while ago there was an "announcement" of Dragon Quest XI NX but shortly after the PR swooped in and said that it was being considered. I see a bunch of possibilities happening:

-A lower level port is announced. Assuming the NX is @ Tegra X1 levels of performance then I could see it being worth Square's time to make a NX + PS3 port of the game. The PS3 still has enough weight to get some prolific ports for Japanese games, and putting it on the NX would appeal to portable-centric Japan. Of course, by the time the game is ready the PS3 may very well not be worth their time regardless of region.

-The NX
and Vita
get a port of the 3DS version.

-NX da king gets both versions of the game.

-Square Enix says "nah" to the NX.

I think its obvious that NX will be getting a degraded version of the PS4 version.

Only fanboys would say otherwise. Also....DQ11 PS4 runs on UE4, its not compatible with PS3.

gafneo

Banned
My Nintendo NX mockup (using a previous model as base and poor editing skills - sorry =X):

ZrV2wgq.jpg

3 modes:

1) Classic gaming (like PS Vita)
2) 3DS/DS Virtual Console emulator (to acomodate 2 screens)
3) Mobile gaming

I guess this is why the controllers are detachable.

EDIT:

Looking now, there is a problem with the speakers. But the speakers could be on the controllers pieces - so it will be like a Wiimote that can receive sound ;-)
I'd mostly play it with the double screens. Nintendo should have realized that the Wii U couldn't work well at an angle. Playing DS games on it's VC is the ultimate chore when flipping it on it's side.

NX seems to be large smartphone/small tablet sized. You have to consider thermals and battery life. Not to mention price.

An X2 could get relatively close even with those in mind, but I don't see it matching the XB1.

I'm not as pessimistic about it because considering that the chip will be custom designed, a lot of priority is going to go into nailing those factors (at the request of Nintendo).

If all else fails, it could match the Xbox One in power when docked. I wish we had the specs.

Atheerios

Now we have 3 additional sources that have heard similar things to Eurogamer:

Kotaku:

Kotaku said:
... we’ve heard similar rumors and have seen some secondhand corroboration on specifics including the NX’s portability and use of cartridges.

IGN:

IGN said:
IGN has also verified this information from a separate source.

Wall Street Journal:

WSJ said:
A person familiar with the matter said NX would be a handheld-console hybrid that would be compatible with its own smartphone games.

Also, MCV supports the information, after saying that they have heard the console will be cheap.

Yeah, there's no way this isn't real.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Did I miss something or why people talking about matching Xbox One although the Eurogamer report claims the opposite?

Hopes and Dreams.

Granted, there are architectures that can do that, but not in the form factor and power draw Nintendo are likely wanting to pursue, especially since they want it to be cheap

CronoShot

Did I miss something or why people talking about matching Xbox One although the Eurogamer report claims the opposite?

Theories are flying around as to why dev kits are using actively cooled, overclocked Nvidia X1 chips. Some say it's because the NX will actually use the not-yet-released X2, which is supposedly around XB1 level.

Hopes and Dreams.

Granted, there are architectures that can do that, but not in the form factor and power draw Nintendo are likely wanting to pursue, especially since they want it to be cheap

I feel bad for the old WiiU is 1TF! crowd on GAF, several years later and Nintendo still doesn't break the 1TF wall.

Zoon

My Nintendo NX mockup (using a previous model as base and poor editing skills - sorry =X):

ZrV2wgq.jpg

3 modes:

1) Classic gaming (like PS Vita)
2) 3DS/DS Virtual Console emulator (to acomodate 2 screens)
3) Mobile gaming

I guess this is why the controllers are detachable.

EDIT:

Looking now, there is a problem with the speakers. But the speakers could be on the controllers pieces - so it will be like a Wiimote that can receive sound ;-)

Holy shit, other might have mentioned it but I just now realised it.This patent might actually be for detecting the controllers.

Krowley

Right out of the gate, this thing probably gets:

ALL nintendo 1st party games

As much good japanese support as a typical Nintendo Handheld

Some crossover Android dev support

--------------------

That will be a pretty vibrant ecosystem to start with. They won't get many ports from the AAA Xbox 1 and PS4 teams, but that could change down the line to some extent if it sells well enough.

It will be a different ecosystem than the other consoles, a totally different kind of library, but it still might be really solid.

Hopes and Dreams.

I don't know what you're talking about. Hypothetical speculation is not the same as discussing the plausibility of Nintendo electing any of these options. We were doing the former, not the latter.

Novocaine

I'm happy that it's a portable because that's the best way to play Animal Crossing. So I'll buy one when the next mainline Animal Crossing gets released.

Odrion

Banned
The resolution would have to be very high for that. That's why mobile phones use 4K displays now. They make no sense in regular use but they're needed for VR. Unless you want to be one with the pixels.
The Samsung GalaxyS7 uses a 1440p resolution screen. The NX could have that, it would allow for better scaling at 720p.

I like most of what I'm reading, trying to keep my expectations in line since these are still rumors and all. No BC is a little bit of a bummer, but to be honest I never sell old consoles unless I'm like 100% done with them, so it's not a huge deal.

Still hoping to hear that they won't region lock it as well.

The Samsung GalaxyS7 uses a 1440p resolution screen. The NX could have that, it would allow for better scaling at 720p.

Come on... You're not the only person who has mentioned these resolutions, but we're honestly crossing into dream land here. No way is Nintendo putting out a 1440p screen. I'd be impressed and surprised if it was 720p to be honest. ESPECIALLY if the console is supposed to be affordable.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Holy shit, other might have mentioned it but I just now realised it.This patent might actually be for detecting the controllers.

Wow--good find. That would make perfect sense.

Eolz

IGN - Legit
Kotaku - 50/50
MCV - Legit but MCV... I dont know much about the publication
WSJ - Legit i suppose

Not saying the info is bad or uncorroborated entirely. Just saying its lacking in variety of details being added to the conversation

Makes me think that the early dev kits are all anyone has seen outside of whatever the best Eurogamer sources were

MCV and WSJ are extremely legit, but yeah, seems like old info in some parts and missing some key elements in the other part.

Pretty amazing Nintendo managed to keep that secret for that long though.

For a gaming dedicated device, 540p is probably all that's needed. It helps conserve power and resources could be put towards more detailed environments and improved graphical fidelity. 1080p sounds way too high

I don't recall the patent's exact contents, but did it apply to anything more than a flat 2D plain? If not, it'd be pretty pointless when it comes to controller detection since there'd be nothing to detect beyond the fact that they are there, and there are simpler, more cost effective ways of doing that.

BUT if it applies to a 3D space, it could allow for 1:1 motion tracking of the controllers. Potentially interesting, but we'll see.

Zalman

Just for fun, I decided to look back on my previous theories about NX. Back in September, before WSJ claimed NX would have at least one mobile unit, I posted this:

Didn't see this anywhere, but apparently Famitsu interviewed Ishihara (Pokémon Company), and he mentions that he wants Pokémon Bank and Global Link on future platforms such as the NX. This seems like further evidence that the NX term is used for both home consoles and handhelds, considering the core Pokémon series is always on the latter.

Since then I always assumed the NX name referred to multiple devices, and that an NX console and NX handheld would be sold separately, but play the same games. I based this on Iwata's statement about the possibility of multiple form factors. Of course, a hybrid console makes sense in this context as well. I've seen people wanting to play a mainline Pokémon game on console, and it seems like that will finally happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom