• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbong95

You can't have 320 cores. Each SMM contains 128 cores. So it'd be 386 cores.
And no, you won't get such a high clock with that much cores in a handheld form factor when running on batteries. More like 500mhz. Even 400.

why not ? nvidia shield handheld ran on 1.9ghz tegra 4 soc with 7350mAh battery..

orioto

Good Art™
And no, you won't get such a high clock with that much cores in a handheld form factor when running on batteries. More like 500mhz. Even 400.

That's what i think to. So that means everyone talking about 4-500 gflops since yesterday believes a lie then :\

If the X1 is 430 gflops at 850 mhz, the one in the NX would probably be half that ?

Sadist

That is what I have heard, that is not what I guarantee.

I am not a tech guy, my definition of what "around Xbox One in power" means is probably different from, I dunno, Durante's. It's more than Wii U, less than PS4, that's the only range I'm particularly comfortable with assuming.
The real question though, does it support modern engines and what not?

I'm quoting you here, but it's more of a random comment from my point of view, because people are really focussing on power here, but I'd like to know if NX would support stuff like Unreal Engine 4 and other popular engines/tools/middleware like that. Thats actually more important that raw power I think.

bs135

That's what i think to. So that means everyone talking about 4-500 gflops since yesterday believes a lie then :\

If the X1 is 430 gflops at 850 mhz, the one in the NX would probably be half that ?

This is exactly the reason Nintendo fans who prefer console gaming to handheld gaming will be disappointed with the NX.

Astral Dog

Tell that to the Wii u and Xbox one.

true, but those had huge, BIG issues other than power, specially Wii U.

depends, Xbox ONE can have third party, but released more expensive than PS4 wich was more powerful and at a reasonable price :p

power is very important, specially when it comes to ports, but its not all.

Costia

My guess would be that it would run at the high clock speed when docked to the TV (generating 1080p output) , and at the lower one when handheld (generating 720p or lower output resolution).

Speely

Banned
The real question though, does it support modern engines and what not?

I'm quoting you here, but it's more of a random comment from my point of view, because people are really focussing on power here, but I'd like to know if NX would support stuff like Unreal Engine 4 and other popular engines/tools/middleware like that. Thats actually more important that raw power I think.

The Tegra X1 can already run UE4, so I think it's safe to assume that either a custom X1 or X2 based SoC would handle it just fine.

why not ? nvidia shield handheld ran on 1.9ghz tegra 4 soc with 7350mAh battery..

Tegra 4 SoC had far less cores and no, the GPU wasn't running at 1.9ghz.

That's what i think to. So that means everyone talking about 4-500 gflops since yesterday believes a lie then :

X1 at 1ghz is 512gflops. It'd depend on the clockspeed. It seems that at 500mhz, the GPU eats up 1.51W, for 256Gflops. But truth to be told, even at 300Mhz, so 153Gflops, it'd still be faster than Wii U at 720p, moreso at 540p.

But yeah, hardware specs doesn't tell the full picture. Vita is a brillant exemple of this: Sony communicated the specs but not the clockspeed. People imagined the CPU ran at 1ghz and the GPU at 400mhz. I fact, the CPU ran at 333 to 444mhz and the GPU at 222mhz.

Maybe this is where the dock comes into play. Plug it in and it wouldn't be limited by battery consumption. Run the games on the go at around 540p and 900-1080 on the TV

true, but those had huge, BIG issues other than power, specially Wii U.

depends, Xbox ONE can have third party, but released more expensive than PS4 wich was more powerful and at a reasonable price :p

power is very important, specially when it comes to ports, but its no all.
It's definitely not all there is to it, but I'd peg it mattering more than the people writing it off are.

Instro

Which of course brings us back to the dock and what, if anything, it will do. Theoretically an X2 at a good clock would be around 1TF at peak. If the dock can make that happen, the system would be relatively palatable as a console, but it seems like a long shot right now.

Maybe this is where the dock comes into play. Plug it in and it wouldn't be limited by battery consumption. Run the games on the go at around 540p and 900-1080 on the TV

Well, that's the point indeed. X1 can run fanless at a higher TDP. That's why people making fun of the dock theory are thinking it wrong. The dock doesn't make it faster, it only allows the console to reach the normal clocks.

Out of the dock, you'd get hardware running at lower clocks, tailored for a lower res screen.

Say for exemple if they were running Tegra X2* with supposedly 384 cores at 1.2Ghz. That'd be 921Gflops, close to XB1. It'd allow it to play 1080p games and on the go, they could drop the clock to 300mhz, 4 times less, for a 540p screen, 4 times lower res, for 230gflops, which is definitely plausible for a handheld.

*Let's be clear, I'm highly doubtful to see X2. I even wonder if X1 being here isn't a misunderstanding.

Which of course brings us back to the dock and what, if anything, it will do. Theoretically an X2 at a good clock would be around 1TF at peak. If the dock can make that happen, the system would be relatively palatable as a console, but it seems like a long shot right now.

Then again, it's not about the dock making it happen. It's supposed to be normal clocks for X1 or X2, without a fan.

Apparently according to Super Metal Dave Nintendo not only patented the supplemental device that would "upgrade" the console but they also fully paid for it. So that's kind of interesting I guess. There seem to be things that are missing and that we don't know yet. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part though.

tr1p1ex

Am I the only one that sees VR as a possible additional gimmick for this thing after this recent leak?

The portable screen and detachable controllers and mobile chip seem tailor made for a GEARVR like system.

Also this is something Nintendo could easily have kept out of development kits and kept to themselves.

...because it is not something that would be the sole focus of the device.

Nintendo would do their Nintendo thing and include some VR levels or VR mini-games or small VR side-mode in with their regular games. They would package a proof of concept VR mini-game with the system. And might sell short downloadable VR experiences.

And the beauty is, all the while, it's really just a normal handheld/console system.

KAL2006

Banned
Am I the only one that sees VR as a possible additional gimmick for this thing after this recent leak?

The portable screen and detachable controllers and mobile chip seem tailor made for a GEARVR like system.

Also this is something Nintendo could easily have kept out of development kits and kept to themselves.

...because it is not something that would be the sole focus of the device.

Nintendo would do their Nintendo thing and include some VR levels or VR mini-games or small VR side-mode in with their regular games. They would package a proof of concept VR mini-game with the system. And might sell short downloadable VR experiences.

And the beauty is, all the while, it's really just a normal handheld/console system.

No simply because I feel the resolution of their screen wouldn't be no more than 720p. 720p VR headset just wouldn't work well and a 1080p for games will be a waste of processing on a handheld.

Well, that's the point indeed. X1 can run fanless at a higher TDP. That's why people making fun of the dock theory are thinking it wrong. The dock doesn't make it faster, it only allows the console to reach the normal clocks.

Out of the dock, you'd get hardware running at lower clocks, tailored for a lower res screen.

Say for exemple if they were running Tegra X2* with supposedly 384 cores at 1.2Ghz. That'd be 921Gflops, close to XB1. It'd allow it to play 1080p games and on the go, they could drop the clock to 300mhz, 4 times less, for a 540p screen, 4 times lower res, for 230gflops, which is definitely plausible for a handheld.
*Let's be clear, I'm highly doubtful to see X2. I even wonder if X1 being here isn't a misunderstanding.
Then again, it's not about the dock making it happen. It's supposed to be normal clocks for X1 or X2, without a fan.
That sounds pretty good all things considered.

tr1p1ex

No simply because I feel the resolution of their screen wouldn't be no more than 720p. 720p VR headset just wouldn't work well and a 1080p for games will be a waste of processing on a handheld.

Wouldn't work well for what? This is Nintendo. They sold 100 million SD Wiis in the HD era with a game that had graphics that were from an even earlier era.

Hell Nintendo could make fun 8 bit VR games.

Sadist

The Tegra X1 can already run UE4, so I think it's safe to assume that either a custom X1 or X2 based SoC would handle it just fine.
Hmmm.

I wonder what kind of ports the NX will receive in the end. And no, I'm not expecting crazy things. I suppose a game like Sonic NX will be a scaled down version of the X1/PS4 versions, but how it will run and all that on the system.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Apparently according to Super Metal Dave Nintendo not only patented the supplemental device that would "upgrade" the console but they also fully paid for it. So that's kind of interesting I guess. There seem to be things that are missing and that we don't know yet. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part though.

Isn't he still saying that x86 is still happening?

what would be a good memory configuration/type for this thing?

im guessing 4GB with 2 for games of a very low consumption type, but dont know much.

4GB is a great fit

The more I hear about the NX, the more I believe this is the next iteration to the handheld market. Can't believe we're close to seeing what it is. I'm excited!

ultrazilla

If you detach the controllers from the screen to play at home then how do you handle touchscreen inputs?

You don't.

That's the problem I've had with alot of the fan mock-ups and the Eurogamer controller mock-ups. There's no screen on them. I realize Euro did the mock up based on their intel but I wonder if they were fed wrong info in this aspect.

If the system is supposed to be a hybrid home/portable console, you would *think* that the controllers would have a display on them. Otherwise, how can it be portable with just detachable controls and no screen?

I'm sticking with my prediction that Nintendo is using Sharp's free form display tech in the NX controllers.

Wouldn't work well for what? This is Nintendo. They sold 100 million SD Wiis in the HD era with a game that had graphics that were from an even earlier era.

Hell Nintendo could make fun 8 bit VR games.

I don't think you understand, 720P VR would look fucking terrible and would give you even more eye strain

ChrisRo

Neo Member
Here's a mockup I created for this concept, taking some creative liberties with it. This is with a 5" screen. It is a little slimmer and less tall than a 3DS, but wider with the controllers attached.

Lnyc6Io.jpg

8LPfzjc.jpg

My opinions on this idea:

-The controllers aren't detachable so that two people can play with them, that's silly. They're detachable because it makes this the perfect competitor to phones which really only suck because they don't have proper controls, in which case it can be sold to young people buying their first phone which is where Nintendo's handheld market is currently being gouged out. The idea that it's "too hard", and Nintendo should abandon their biggest market to go after the saturated home console market mid-cycle is ridiculous. You want something hard? Try selling a $400 console to people who already own one. Meanwhile we're not going to run out of teenagers buying their first phones anytime soon and that could be a huge market for Nintendo.

-With the controllers detachable, this could be one of the best VR solutions out there if sold with a Galaxy Gear-like headset and maybe a motion tracking device, because you could take the controller bits off, place the device into the headset and use the motion controls from those two controllers similar to Vive's or Oculus'.

-Why are people complaining about power? This is an example of Nintendo focusing on power for the first time in a long time - if they're using the Tegra X2 especially, this is about the most powerful handheld you could possibly build. If Sony wanted to do their Sony thing of releasing a more powerful handheld right after to compete with it they would have a hard time. This would be the most powerful handheld ever, which is a huge departure from the DS and 3DS strategy.

-Combining their handheld and home console software production will partly eliminate software droughts.

Inuhanyou

Yes, but keep in mind what I said: That's more about the feasibility of such a thing, even with a dumb dock and less of it happening. People might be expecting too much with X2, heck even with X1 there might be a catch.

Also you have to think about the types of games constrained by having to be developed for the hardware being downgraded by 4x when you take it off the dock. Will they reserve that just for screen res i wonder? Can they even do that?

Instro

.Then again, it's not about the dock making it happen. It's supposed to be normal clocks for X1 or X2, without a fan.

I should have clarified that I meant in the sense of the dock allowing it to run at full power, rather than what it will be downclocked to in handheld mode.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Here's a mockup I created for this concept, taking some creative liberties with it. This is with a 5" screen. It is a little slimmer and less tall than a 3DS, but wider with the controllers attached.

Lnyc6Io.jpg

8LPfzjc.jpg

-The controllers aren't detachable so that two people can play with them, that's silly. They're detachable because it makes this the perfect competitor to phones which really only suck because they don't have proper controls, in which case it can be sold to young people buying their first phone which is where Nintendo's handheld market is currently being gouged out. The idea that it's "too hard", and Nintendo should abandon their biggest market to go after the saturated home console market mid-cycle is ridiculous. You want something hard? Try selling a $400 console to people who already own one. Meanwhile we're not going to run out of teenagers buying their first phones anytime soon and that could be a huge market for Nintendo.

-With the controllers detachable, this could be one of the best VR solutions out there if sold with a Galaxy Gear-like headset and maybe a motion tracking device, because you could take the controller bits off, place the device into the headset and use the motion controls from those two controllers similar to Vive's or Oculus'.

-Why are people complaining about power? This is an example of Nintendo focusing on power for the first time in a long time - if they're using the Tegra X2 especially, this is about the most powerful handheld you could possibly build. If Sony wanted to do their Sony thing of releasing a more powerful handheld right after to compete with it they would have a hard time. This would be the most powerful handheld ever, which is a huge departure from the DS and 3DS strategy.

-Combining their handheld and home console software production will partly eliminate software droughts.

Love it, except you still fucked up with having ABXY under the right thumbstick, though I guess you are going to use them like Wii-motes that makes sense. Props for real D-pad and mother fucking triggers and ergonomic molding.

Also you have to think about the types of games constrained by having to be developed for the hardware being downgraded by 4x when you take it off the dock. Will they reserve that just for screen res i wonder? Can they even do that?

The way I see it, while specs would be downgraded, the games would be made with the handheld spec in mind, dock mode being only for higher res and clean IQ.
Being downgraded by 4 times in term of GPU can be a pretty straigthforward operation. 4 times less power, 4 times less resolution, no need to touch the game structure.

oti

Banned

Lnyc6Io.jpg

8LPfzjc.jpg

The thing about these awesome mockups is that the Nintendo version won't be anywhere as near as slick and cool like those. ;_;

tr1p1ex

If you detach the controllers from the screen to play at home then how do you handle touchscreen inputs?

Maybe there isn't a touchscreen.

On one hand it sounds blasphemous because everything has a touchscreen nowadays. And you could say it's expected.

ON the other hand, since every smartphone has a touchscreen and Nintendo is making games for those systems anyway, maybe they decide not to put one in the NX to keep costs down and to focus on gameplay you can't get (out of the box) on smartphones.

But admittedly WSJ rumor says it will play Nintendo's smartphone games too so ..

Maybe there isn't a touchscreen.

On one hand it sounds blasphemous because everything has a touchscreen nowadays. And you could say it's expected.

ON the other hand, since every smartphone has a touchscreen and Nintendo is making games for those systems anyway, maybe they decide not to put one in the NX to keep costs down and to focus on gameplay you can't get (out of the box) on smartphones.

But admittedly WSJ rumor says it will play Nintendo's smartphone games too so ..

I really can't imagine launching a handheld entertainment device in 2017 without a capacitive touchscreen.

Lnyc6Io.jpg

8LPfzjc.jpg

WHOA

This is my favorite mock up yet

BRILLIANT!

Lnyc6Io.jpg

8LPfzjc.jpg

Nice. This is my favorite mock-up so far.

Inuhanyou

The way I see it, while specs would be downgraded, the games would be made with the handheld spec in mind, dock mode being only for higher res and clean IQ.
Being downgraded by 4 times in term of GPU can be a pretty straigthforward operation. 4 times less power, 4 times less resolution, no need to touch the game structure.

So your saying games would be developed for the 360ish level of the handheld and simply scale up for TV gaming? But then, that seems like a waste of the X2's power in that case, but then i guess i could say the same about NEO and Scorpio hmm?

Interesting times ahead.

I would pick one up if they market it right, and get their handheld third party partners to ditch 3DS(cause i'm not buying that) and go straight to NX

bs135

-Why are people complaining about power? This is an example of Nintendo focusing on power for the first time in a long time - if they're using the Tegra X2 especially, this is about the most powerful handheld you could possibly build. If Sony wanted to do their Sony thing of releasing a more powerful handheld right after to compete with it they would have a hard time. This would be the most powerful handheld ever, which is a huge departure from the DS and 3DS strategy..

Its very good for a hand held. As a home console it is incredibly underwhelming.

Lnyc6Io.jpg

8LPfzjc.jpg

This is a good mockup

tr1p1ex

I don't think you understand, 720P VR would look fucking terrible and would give you even more eye strain

It looks terrible if you're trying to make photo realistic graphics.

But this is Nintendo. They could step back to N64 era or earlier era graphics for VR. Do you buy and play Nintendo games!??!? What was WiiSports? It was gimped stick figures. And it sold 100 million Wiis.

So your saying games would be developed for the 360ish level of the handheld and simply scale up for TV gaming? But then, that seems like a waste of the X2's power in that case, but then i guess i could say the same about NEO and Scorpio hmm?

Interesting times ahead.

I would pick one up if they market it right, and get their handheld third party partners to ditch 3DS(cause i'm not buying that) and go straight to NX

That's my opinion. Then again, I dont buy the X2 thing. But as I also said you could also develop the games with the dock clocks and then just reduce resolution by the same multiplier you reduce clockspeed.

It looks terrible if you're trying to make photo realistic graphics.

But this is Nintendo. They could step back to N64 era or earlier era graphics for VR.

It's not about graphics or artstyle. It's about physical pain. It looks terrible because the lens are blowing up the pixels at 720p, making everything blurry.

orioto

Good Art™
X1 at 1ghz is 512gflops. It'd depend on the clockspeed. It seems that at 500mhz, the GPU eats up 1.51W, for 256Gflops. But truth to be told, even at 300Mhz, so 153Gflops, it'd still be faster than Wii U at 720p, moreso at 540p.

But yeah, hardware specs doesn't tell the full picture. Vita is a brillant exemple of this: Sony communicated the specs but not the clockspeed. People imagined the CPU ran at 1ghz and the GPU at 400mhz. I fact, the CPU ran at 333 to 444mhz and the GPU at 222mhz.

As long as it's more powerfull than a WiiU, in portable form, i'll be hyper impressed. We'll hear everyone complains it's a lame gap when it's actually amazing. We'll go straight from.. i don't know, Golden Abyss being the most advanced (or Kill Zone Vita) portable game, to potentially a console doing way better (more power for a lower resolution) than Breath of the Wild or Xenoblade Chronicles X.. Remembering those Chronicle X gifs, and realizing this will be lower than what a Nintendo portable can do, that's crazy..

Now for the tv mode, i wonder how much the clock speed difference can be.

Azoo

Neo Member
I still believe that we're missing a bit of info about this console. As interesting and Nintendo-like as some of the suggestions have been for the two controller pieces working as mini-controllers for 2 player stuff, I feel like Nintendo's bigger focus here would be on making the at-home and on-the-go experience as seamless as possible, and cross-play with people in either/or situation with no hassle.

Playing the same game on a subway with another friend at home and another friend at a coffee shop and another on their bed just sounds like that step forward Nintendo would want to take advantage of over anything else. That step where it's no longer about 'console or handheld', it's about gaming, period.

I'm almost willing to believe that we're getting a handheld with a custom Tegra chip between X1 & X2 in power, a docking bay which may probably boost that a bit + give HDMI output + charge the handheld, controller piece(s) exclusively for the handheld, and a traditional controller exclusively for home play. I can't really imagine this thing working any other way without it going a bit too far down the path of the bizarre and backwards.

http://i.imgur.com/Lnyc6Io.jpg[/I

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/8LPfzjc.jpg[/I

-Combining their handheld and home console software production will partly eliminate software droughts.[/QUOTE]
Wow, Well Done!!

Ryoku

Lnyc6Io.jpg

8LPfzjc.jpg

Nice mockup. It's missing the scroll wheels for shoulder buttons, though.

Somnid

Nice job ChrisRo.

You're controller idea makes sense, certainly it's a lot clearer to visualize in your interpretation. Then again if you could take them off, would it not make sense to use them in other ways? Not sure how much artist interpretation the Eurogamer pic had, or if it really has a kickstand and all that.

Zalman

Lnyc6Io.jpg

8LPfzjc.jpg

I love this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom