• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Playground Games developing Fable reboot

Work is underway on a brand new, big-budget Fable game, Eurogamer can reveal.
Fable franchise owner Microsoft has tasked UK developer Playground, which makes the Forza Horizon racing games for Xbox and PC, with creating this new Fable, sources close to the project have told Eurogamer. Microsoft said in a statement it does not comment on rumour or speculation.

We've heard the new Fable is planned as a story and character-focussed open-world action RPG. A significant investment in its development is also planned, with some 200 people set to work on the game at Playground's newly-established second office in Leamington Spa, Warwickshire.

The fantasy world of Albion is set to live once again.
Don't expect to play this new Fable any time soon, however. We've heard it's early days in terms of development, with Playground currently staffing up the team from double digits to its triple digit target.

This new Fable is seen as something of a clean break, and while all Fable Legends assets were backed up after Lionhead shut down, the expectation is Playground is starting from scratch as it bids to revive the Xbox-exclusive franchise.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-01-17-sources-microsoft-plots-fable-return

EBE

I still wanna know the real story behind Fable Legend's development cos both times I played it at E3 it was ass and the beta was real slim pickings for a long while. Felt mismanaged to hell.

Anyway, Playground are good tech people so at least it'll look pretty

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I’m excited. I’m a really big fan of the Fable series and even though the third chapter was weak it doesn’t stop me to get excited over the fourth upcoming game. I just hope we still gonna get the British Lionhead humor like in the previous games.

Playground don’t fuck it up.

I still remember that obviously fake insider telling us that Playground were working on a multiplat and MS turned it down. Turns out they are actually working on an Xbox IP lol.

Looking forward to it anyway. I have faith Playground can make something great!

I also hope it's a while away and launches with the new Xbox in a few years.

Last edited:
When do you predict it will release? Q4 2019 too soon, or perhaps 2020? That would give the studio almost 3 years dev time.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Well, this is going to take some time before we actually see anything, but it is great for Playground Games to tackle a different genre. I am confident that they can deliver a great game.

Peroroncino

Interesting, they did a very good job with Forza Horizon series so I'm really curious how they would tackle Fable franchise.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Excellent.

Would love to see what PG can do outside of racing and into the world of fable.

Fable 2 is one of my favourite games.

Unity2012

Great News. I always wished they would remastered the first one, expanding the playing areas and without loading screens. Fable one and two are still some of my favorite games. As hard as PM is criticized as a developer, one cannot deny the creative and fun factor in this series.

I still remember that obviously fake insider telling us that Playground were working on a multiplat and MS turned it down. Turns out they are actually working on an Xbox IP lol.

Looking forward to it anyway. I have faith Playground can make something great!

I also hope it's a while away and launches with the new Xbox in a few years.

You mean Matt and SneakerSO? Maybe that multiplatform title is on hold.

Last edited:

Fbh

Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

I enjoyed 2 and 3 but overall it allways felt like a "good idea, bad execution" type of franchise to me. So having a different studio working on this could change things up

Leonidas

Excellent news, wonder if it'll be shown this year, in the meantime I think I'll begin completing the first 3 Fable games for the first time.

Rellik

A lot of people adore Fable (especially the first two). No reason to laugh at them.

Including me. I was never involved in the hype or on gaming forums back then. I just really enjoyed the games that I got and I'll definitely have to keep an eye on this one if it's true.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Lol. Why?
I can understand being a fan of what the Fable series was SUPPOSED to be, but it just turned out to be a pretty lame action RPG series.

I don’t love Fable because of the rpg, which I do agree is pretty shallow. I love the series because of the atmosphere, the characters, the world. There’s just some really unique to it.

splattered

I've enjoyed all the fables.. looking forward to this!

So question is... would it be smart for MS to announce this officially at E3 or not? haha

Artistic

Would need to see gameplay before I can pass final judgement. Gives me more incentive repurchase and play Fable 2 and 3.

Artistic

Both BC, with Fable 3 being a Games with Gold, which is what I was hoping MS did with Fable 2 so I could avoid a purchase lol.

munroe

Does this mean that other rumour night actually be true regarding perfect dark??

I'm conflicted about fable, I enjoyed the first two, then it just went downhill fast, it didn't help with Peter claiming so much the games will do then the game turning out so differently.

Sosokrates

I wonder how close they will stick to the lionhead games?

Or will it be a reboot like god of war.

I wonder how close they will stick to the lionhead games?

Or will it be a reboot like god of war.

I assume it will still be Albion and have stylized art and humor, but I assume and think the rest will change quite a bit.

1. The previous combat was never great nor important to the franchise. At the very least, I'm sure they will have free reigns with what they can do. It sure could use an overhaul.
2. It will of course be an RPG, but the progression system isn't sacred in any way, imo.
3. Music may change.
4. Time period is anyone's guess. Might be steampunk, might go back to bow and arrow.

I love the IP, but graphically and mechanically the franchise has done quite poorly, imo. I am very excited about a new take on the series.

Sosokrates

I assume it will still be Albion and have stylized art and humor, but I assume and think the rest will change quite a bit.

1. The previous combat was never great nor important to the franchise. At the very least, I'm sure they will have free reigns with what they can do. It sure could use an overhaul.
2. It will of course be an RPG, but the progression system isn't sacred in any way, imo.
3. Music may change.
4. Time period is anyone's guess. Might be steampunk, might go back to bow and arrow.

I love the IP, but graphically and mechanically the franchise has done quite poorly, imo. I am very excited about a new take on the series.

I wonder if it will be a full open world this time.
Also I do hope jobs, money, getting married and all the other mini life simulator stuff makes a return, I loved that stuff in fable 2.

Playground are quite well equipped for this anyway if ya think about it. They already make large, beautiful, highly optimised worlds for Horizon. Plus the races in those games are basically a bunch of hierarchical missions like an RPG would be. So most of the structure for a Fable game is already there.

Just need a 3rd person character controller and a story and it's done!

Last edited:

The Shepard

Cool, can't wait to see it. Was always a fan of fable one and two, lost interest after 3. A reboot may revitalise the series.

Top Bottom