• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Pokemon Stars Switch, confirmed for 2017?

Cartho

***EDIT***
I totally didn't read this carefully enough, the "confirmed so far" part applied to the launch titles, and the other bit falls under the "what else we know that could be on the way". My bad, could a mod lock this? Or at least edit the title to reflect that this isn't what EG actually said. Sorry for misleading people!

*original post*
I was under the impression that all we had were rumours about Pokemon Stars. Some were even speculating that it might not be a Switch title afterall.

However I just stumbled on this on Eurogamer:

WGQLhXm.jpg

More at the link

Have I missed something? Was this actually confirmed or is it just a rumour which we're taking to be pretty much totally accurate? It makes sense to have a Pokemon title available for Christmas but EG must be awfully sure of their facts for them to list this as a "confirmed" title despite no word from Ninty...

LordKano

It isn't official, but the rumor originally started from Eurogamer (and they seem to be pretty adamant about it).
And, Gamestop kinda sold it.

Mediking

????

Pokemon Stars reveal at E3?

Then releases either before or after THE holiday game (in my opinion) Super Mario Odyssey???

Ummmmm..... well.... LET'S GO!

GameE

The amount of times I've seen 'confirmed' in a title over the last week when nothing was confirmed is astounding

TS-08

Eurogamer is probably simply that confident in the rumor. Although they probably should still clarify that it's coming from their sources, not from an official announcement.

Crazyorloco

Damn if it's this year then this will be the first time Pokémon launches on a system with less than 20 million users.

And double damn, the switch's first year line up of games is great.

Platy

To be fair Pokemon Stars is the one with the strongest rumors considering what was datamined from Sun/Moon

Useless trivia : we already had Pokemon Stars ... it is called Pokemon Sun ;D

Cartho

I mean if, by Christmas, they had Zelda, Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 and Pokemon Stars, plus other stuff like Fire Emblem Warriors, Arms and other 3rd party stuff like Skyrim and FIFA / NBA 2k18..... That would be a pretty impressive lineup going into the holiday period.

***EDIT***
Thinking about it, it does seem odd that they've listed it as a "confirmed" game when they have another list just below of "TBC" games without a given release date. Can't see why they'd put Pokemon Stars on the "confirmed" release date list unless they were extremely certain of things.

Please be true.

brinstar

I hope it's true, but I have such a vivid vision of a future where it's announced for 3DS and GAF's front page is filled with nothing but reactionary threads about how the Switch is done for.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'll say this- their original report was extremely specific. It wasn't just a "Pokemon coming to Switch later in the year".

To be fair Pokemon Stars is the one with the strongest rumors considering what was datamined from Sun/Moon

Useless trivia : we already had Pokemon Stars ... it is called Pokemon Sun ;D

I'm not sure I understand, what was datamined? I haven't followed things, really.

Nerazar

It would be pretty weird to cite themselves as a verified source confirming a rumour though....?

They seem to be very sure about it. And I think it would make sense to port it to boost the sales of Switch. I suppose this will be a (new) 3DS / Switch cross-release like Fire Emblem Warriors but they will put the Switch version in front of the show.

The console itself is a good fit since it's mobile and contains all the future-proof online elements. At the same time, they can move a huge amount of 3DS software for that extra revenue. If they're smart, they'll let people upgrade the game for $10 or so and allow them to keep their save for Switch.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Damn, now I really feel like crap for dropping Sun for over a month, part-way through. I should have just muscled through it initially, but then I got my shiny, new gaming PC with Forza Horizon 3 sucking me in.

Neoxon

It's not confirmed, but Eurogamer was the one who reported on the rumor first & they seem to be pretty damn confident in their sources. I'd expect a Pokémon Direct to reveal the game sometime in the Spring (long enough for Sun/Moon to get through most of its potential sales, & soon enough ahead of E3 to not have its spotlight taken).

And before anyone asks, at least as of November, Tom Phillips (of Eurogamer) heard that Pokémon Stars was a Switch-exclusive.

AgeEighty

The amount of times I've seen 'confirmed' in a title over the last week when nothing was confirmed is astounding

Seriously.

"Confirmed" means there's been an official statement saying the game is coming, or some otherwise incontrovertible proof has been found that it's coming. Nothing else serves as confirmation.

Malus

Interesting to see them still believing in Pikmin 4.

"As well as the games of the above, Shigeru Miyamoto told Eurogamer back in 2015 that Pikmin 4 is on the way and it's likely to be a Switch title, and not the 3DS side-scroller announced in September."

Mr T.

Banned
The high quality models and animations were data mined from Sun/Moon a few months back. Add in the insider leaks and Gamestop's removed press release and you have a pretty good idea that its bound to be true.

Besides, lets look at what the Big N is doing:
  • Wii U production was confirmed to have ended in late 2016.
  • Wii U's last first party game is Zelda BotW - Confirmed by Reggie Jan 2017.
  • New 3DS units are becoming scarce and have been nearly impossible to find since November.
  • They began consolidated their internal development teams in 2016.

They have shifted everything towards supporting the Switch. They need a killer app to sell Switch units and compete during the holiday 2017 season. They have Mario for the console fans, but need something to get 3DS owners to jump over to the Switch. Whats their best selling franchise on 3DS? What mobile game took the world by storm? Pokemon... It will be coming to the Switch this holiday season. Nintendo has strategically planned out the Switch so you get a great first party game every month or 2.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I think we will get a Pokemon Direct before e3 where it will be unveiled.

Man, they are already struggling when it's an exclusive, imagine the hell it would be if they are putting only half of their resources on the 3DS version.

.... ?

VariantX

They seem to be very sure about it. And I think it would make sense to port it to boost the sales of Switch. I suppose this will be a (new) 3DS / Switch cross-release like Fire Emblem Warriors but they will put the Switch version in front of the show.

The console itself is a good fit since it's mobile and contains all the future-proof online elements. At the same time, they can move a huge amount of 3DS software for that extra revenue. If they're smart, they'll let people upgrade the game for $10 or so and allow them to keep their save for Switch.

Wait, you can transfer game progress to upgraded versions of Pokémon? I thought the only thing that transferred was the pokemon and maybe held items? I'm in the dark here as I only played a bit of pokémon ruby and some of pokémon X myself and aren't too familiar with the upgrade process.

LordRaptor

Its not that I think its unlikely - if they want to plant a flag saying "The Switch is DEFINITELY replacing the 3DS" putting a mainline pokemon - even a third version - on it exclusively is absolutely a big gun in doing that.

It's more that nobody else is publishing this as a definite fact or citing any inside knowledge beyond their initial rumour reporting, which was clearly labelled as rumour.
Which is... a bit weird.

Seriously.

"Confirmed" means there's been an official statement saying the game is coming, or some otherwise incontrovertible proof has been found that it's coming. Nothing else serves as confirmation.

Ha, would that we could have some precision of language around here. It is very irritating.

ar4757

I'm sure it'll release this year if it is indeed releasing on the Switch. I wonder if it might be on the 3ds too, that way gamefreak makes bank. Also, the Switch version would be a very significant upgrade given some frame rate dips on the 3ds, especially the PokeFinder (lol 5 fps)

LordKano

If you played Pokémon Sun/Moon it's actually very obvious that the game was meant to be on a more powerful hardware. PokéFinder is only part of that.

Lom1lo

Hope it gets announced at e3. Switch could have a really good first year if everything hits its release date.

Sendou

"We said it, so it's confirmed!"

They know the context to the rumor so I'd just say it speaks for how much faith they have in that particular source. Eurogamer has the best track record of Switch rumors I think.

Curious they didn't put Mario X Rabbids RPG there since that's also their rumor.

brinstar

Wait, you can transfer game progress to upgraded versions of Pokémon? I thought the only thing that transferred was the pokemon and maybe held items? I'm in the dark here as I only played a bit of pokémon ruby and some of pokémon X myself and aren't too familiar with the upgrade process.

No, you can't transfer your save. Just your Pokemon. It's worth noting they haven't done an "upgraded version" since Pokemon Platinum in 2008/2009-- Pokemon Black and White received a straight up sequel, and Pokemon X/Y didn't have a followup. It remains to be seen what will follow Sun and Moon but I think a sequel is more likely than the same game upgraded with bells and whistles at this point.

This would seem to fall under the "and what else we know that could be on the way" side of the list.

A bit premature to call this confirmed, eh Eurogamer?

Coffinhal

"what else we know could be on the way"

transformed to "confirmed for 2017" by OP for clickbait and misleading title

in their article which you quoted they say 1) what is confirmed 2) what isn't, so if Pokémon is the 2) I let you make the conclusion

Good job here.

komplanen

Can someone give me the quick rundown on what this Pokémon Stars game is supposed to be? I don't play Pokémon games so I have no clue.

LordKano

Can someone give me the quick rundown on what this Pokémon Stars game is supposed to be? I don't play Pokémon games so I have no clue.

Third version of Pokémon Sun/Moon : the same game, but with more contents, and exclusively on Nintendo Switch.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
The high quality models and animations were data mined from Sun/Moon a few months back.
What exactly are you talking about here? The Pokemon models in Sun/Moon are as high quality as the ones that were in X/Y/OR/AS and are not indicative of anything. That's actually what had me fishy about the EG article. The 3DS Pokemon games have been using those HD models all along.

LordRaptor

"what else we know could be on the way"

transformed to "confirmed for 2017" by OP for clickbait and misleading title

in their article which you quoted they say 1) what is confirmed 2) what isn't, so if Pokémon is the 2) I let you make the conclusion

Good job here.

The structure of the article suggests;
1) Confirmed and dated
2) Confirmed but no date
3) What could be on the way

Pokemon is listed in (2)
Pikmin 4 and not a side scroller is listed in (3)

Top Bottom