• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Sony mandates Vita Remote Play for all PS4 games that don't use camera.

DieH@rd

Banned
I wish Sony released a Vita XL for serious people who want to take advantage of remote play. I can already imagine the shit storm of people complaining about the small analogs when controlling shooters. Make the Vita XL screen a inch bigger. Have full click able analogs as well as R2 and L2, and a more comfortable grip. They can also have a bigger battery due to the size. Finally it can so be used as a PS4 controller which saves you from buying a second DS4.

This grip is so awesome, I really enjoyed using it when I borrowed Vita from a friend to finish Golden Abyss. It transforms Vita into incredibly good controller that you can hold for hours with ease.

imageshack1xlc7g.jpg

imageshack200i22.jpg

imageshack3yxerv.jpg

KAL2006

Banned
This grip is so awesome, I really enjoyed using it when I borrowed Vita from a friend to finish Golden Abyss. It transforms Vita into incredibly good controller that you can hold for hours with ease.

imageshack1xlc7g.jpg

imageshack200i22.jpg

imageshack3yxerv.jpg

Grip is nice but my main complaint is tiny analogs that are not click able.

Terrible news.
Don't like handhelds, never have, no use of one.

Forcing developers to hamfist shit into their game, when they could be bettering it for those that don't care about this crap - not good.

If the Vita had identical button layout to a PS4 controller, sure - no worries. It doesn't though, so this is going to be annoying and awkward, do not want.
It's just a button mapping. More isn't needed.

Thrakier

This is PS motion all over again.

I thought people called this a gimmick on Wii U? And, the Wii U gamepad is designed specifically for off screen gameplay.

Who is going to play a PS4 shooter with vita buttons? And, the battery life?

It's a gimmick on PS4 as well, you know.

I thought the button mapping was done on the Vita, thus leaving devs literally no extra work to do? This isn't making Vita into a controller, it's about off-TV play.

If devs want to implement second-screen functionality, then yes, extra dev work and custom Vita control layouts will be needed.

I think it's important to clarify the difference between second-screen and off-TV play.

VanWinkle

I thought people called this a gimmick on Wii U? And, the Wii U gamepad is designed specifically for off screen gameplay.

Nobody said you had to use it. And if you don't have to use it on any games, its not a gimmick.

the PS4 Eye is way way smaller than Kinnect 2.0.

Kinect 2.0 has the same length as the Xbone console <======>

The PS4 Eye's length of an average remote control (but chunkier)

Drachma

Banned

What's a PS motion?

Septimus

I don't think it's quite so simple. I would be surprised if it weren't possible to get a better compression ratio even without introducing encoding features that introduce lag. We'll see what they came up with. I do hope they allow for some user options -- e.g. it would be nice to be able to choose between image quality and responsiveness on less-than-perfect connections.

Such settings will definitely be there I hope. Here's how it works on PSP (sorry for tiny screen):

remoteplaysettings_en.jpg

gatti-man

If all you care about is shooters why buy a ps4 in the first place?

yurinka

I'm a single player, console only - no handheld gamer.
I'm happy for you handheld guys.... but if "my" games are hampered, even marginally by this, I won't be impressed.

If Uncharted, Journey, PJ:M, PJ:E, Killzone, Heavy Rain, Heavenly Sword - if any of these games got even 5% 'worse' because they had to waste time hamfisting shit into the game to support, well effectively a completely different console - not good.
How much overhead does this take? Is the game being run on the handheld or just streaming across the network?

Does this mean the CPU / GPU needs to now render the game and then live encode it to the wifi steam off to the handheld? How much overhead in every single game needs to be reserved 'incase'?

No sir, I'm never buying a PSP, PSP2, PSP: GO, Vita, DS or any such product. This is going to cause devs hassles. Oh and little indie devs? Wanting to make games just for PSN? Like Q Games or smaller devs then that? They need a Vita now and <b>significantly</b> more testing - does the new HUD fit on that tiny screen? - etc
PS4 games will be 0% worse when using Remote Play on Vita.

The games won't look worse because it won't require overhead from them, since PS4 has a separated dedicated hardware to stream stuff (Gaikai, Remote Play, screenshots, gameplay videos, game downloads, game or OS patches, etc) which can work even if the console is on standby.

Devs don't have to implement nothing to support this feature since it's handled by the OS. It won't require spend dev time or budget removed from other game features.

Sendou

So is anyone actually expecting any game that requires high precision and fast decision making working? Like shooters, fighters and such genres. RPG's and other similiar slow paced games will be nice of course.

I don't think that means anything, if it was a PS4 video and not a controller video yes but it's not. Just protection vs stupidity/ignorance imo.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think that means anything, if it was a PS4 video and not a controller video yes but it's not. Just protection vs stupidity/ignorance imo.
What do you mean 'protection vs stupidity/ignorance'? It seems odd to me to make specifically clear that something is sold separately and then shipping it with all boxes anyway.

Amir0x

Banned
Tiemen made a topic with that image, gave you the nod.

Check it out here

You're already making a name for yourself dawg. Good shit.

So I wanted to test out remote play again on the PS3 since I heard the Ico Collection works via remoteplay and I must say I am surprised at how well the game works on the Vita. If all PS4 games work just as good or better I'll be very happy.

Top Bottom