• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Star Wars Battlefront 2 has a loot crate problem.

Get enough points for crates quite quickly in the beta (2 crates after four games). Still not a fan of abilities being stuck behind them, though.

What game were you playing? lol.

You earn about 150 crates per match depending on length, I never seen one higher than 180.

1000 is the cheapest crate.

Rodelero

600 per gun + 3 attachments 100 each.

I was going to say fair enough, but then I thought... why do we actually desire to have every gun and every attachment in the game all of a sudden? You can use one gun at a time and only ever attach two things simultaneously. In the case that you want all of the weapons, completely ignore challenges (which reward huge chunks of credits and sometimes crafting parts), and never get any of the weapons by chance in a crate, then I guess it really could take 720 loot crates to open... but that seems massively contrived.

In all honesty, I unlocked all four of those weapons within a couple of hours of play, and that's kinda the problem with trying to use maths on something like this. It's quite complex and there are various routes to unlock things as well as to gain currency. It feels like Joe is massively overestimating (for effect) how long it would take. It's pretty clear that people in this thread are being taken in by the shocking maths despite them being deeply misleading.

Pity Angry Joe missed out one of the main ways you get currency (at least in the beta) which is through challenges. Also, is 900 crafting materials correct? I don't think it is that much.
900 was the gun + scopes and other unlocks.

The game had one additional weapon to unlock. We don't know if that was an expensive gun or a cheap gun relative to what will be in the final release. Maybe all the guns will be the same 500 or 600 credits or whatever. The unlocksble gun had 3 attachments priced at 100 scrap or credits or whatever each.

Also a reminder: not every loot box will have crafting mats in it. So his estimate of 15 mats per box is high.

So yes, we're looking at maybe 3,600 hours of play to unlock all weapons + attachments assuming nothing changes.

Bonus events and challenges notwithstanding.

How about we just show some resolve and not patron EA for this product instead of spending time trying to find random shit like daily challenges (which you may or may not feel like being bothered with) to continue trying to justify paying for this game in spite of everything we now know.

Hanmik

Get enough points for crates quite quickly in the beta (2 crates after four games). Still not a fan of abilities being stuck behind them, though.

you cant really use the beta as an indicator for how much loot you will get..

5m2w1aL.png

it says here:

IMPORTANT NOTE: Crate contents and rarity distribution are intended for multiplayer beta only

Auraela

Banned
you cant really use the beta as an indicator for how much loot you will get..

5m2w1aL.png

it says here:

yea probs mean they were tuned down compared to release, thats what beta rewards numbers are done like lol

meaning in release they could cost more lol

Tovarisc

yea probs mean they were tuned down compared to release, thats what beta rewards numbers are done like lol

meaning in release they could cost more lol

Expect higher in-game currency prices for crates and lower rewards from matches.

At least then you will be positively surprised if they don't fuck up in that department.

eXistor

The industry has a loot-crate problem. It's not ging away either, not when the masses keep lapping it up.

I feel like I've made this or very similar posts too often lately, I'll stop.

How many "rare" Amiibos are you hugging along with it?

This is BS, all they needed was to have armors paint, hats and decals for your characters and people would still pay for the boxes

Hugging amiibos thats still in the box. Dont use them for gaining things in the game I dont care about

Rodelero

900 was the gun + scopes and other unlocks.

The game had one additional weapon to unlock. We don't know if that was an expensive gun or a cheap gun relative to what will be in the final release. Maybe all the guns will be the same 500 or 600 credits or whatever. The unlocksble gun had 3 attachments priced at 100 scrap or credits or whatever each.

Also a reminder: not every loot box will have crafting mats in it. So his estimate of 15 mats per box is high.

So yes, we're looking at maybe 3,600 hours of play to unlock all weapons + attachments assuming nothing changes.

Bonus events and challenges notwithstanding.

It's kind of amusing to see all the things you readily admit you don't know only for you to put your rather specific estimate of 3,600 hours. Neglecting challenges and events seems pretty dubious considering they look like they provide about half of the currency. Most of all though you're neglecting the fact you can simply unlock the guns in a crate. I unlocked all of the guns within a couple of hours of play, but 'the maths' suggests it should have taken me unlocking 160 chests to get them all. Maybe I got ridiculously lucky. Maybe the maths is bullshit. I know which I'm betting on!

How about we just show some resolve and not patron EA for this product instead of spending time trying to find random shit like daily challenges (which you may or may not feel like being bothered with) to continue trying to justify paying for this game in spite of everything we now know.

I'm going to justify buying it on the basis that I really enjoy playing it :) I'm not in love with the progression/crate system they've put in place but from what I have actually experienced in the beta I can comfortably tolerate it. I don't mind that people are upset about what they've put in place, but fake maths isn't a great way to fight back. Perhaps I'm an oddball for saying it, but I kind of loathe the progression systems in all of these games (one of the things I liked about OW was that it didn't have one). This really doesn't seem that much more arduous than having to level up in Call of Duty or grind to get attachments in Battlefield/operators in Rainbow Six, it's certainly not as annoying as trying to get cards for Warzone in Halo 5.

LifEndz

What a shame. Intended to purchase day one, but I won't be any longer. Loot crate for cosmetics is fine, but this crosses the line of what's acceptable.

CrackedNutz

Neo Member
If everyone used loot crate logic on purchasing the game, maybe they would stop.....

Magic 8 ball should I purchase this game??? Check back later

timberger

This is the sole loot box game this year I'm actually going to be sorry to be taking a pass on. The rest were all very easy to ignore.

MercuryLS3

I stupidly pre-ordered this game during the E3 sale, i'll play through SP if it's any good and sell this trash off quickly. Fuck EA.

Glad there's a thread about this. 150 per match = 6.5 matches for 1 box, and there's direct gameplay enhancing stuff in there. Not good.

But as in-game currency is awarded at a flat rate for a team regardless of performance, this could take a long time.

So they did change this from beta? Because I got more money based off of my performance in the Beta. I was hoping they didn't change this. Doesn't people playtest this and give feedback about what a horrible idea this is? Seriously, how does this get out the door like this? TBH I mainly got this game for the story. But this kills my interest in playing MP.

It's kind of amusing to see all the things you readily admit you don't know only for you to put your rather specific estimate of 3,600 hours. Neglecting challenges and events seems pretty dubious considering they look like they provide about half of the currency. Most of all though you're neglecting the fact you can simply unlock the guns in a crate. I unlocked all of the guns within a couple of hours of play, but 'the maths' suggests it should have taken me unlocking 160 chests to get them all. Maybe I got ridiculously lucky. Maybe the maths is bullshit. I know which I'm betting on!

I'm going to justify buying it on the basis that I really enjoy playing it :) I'm not in love with the progression/crate system they've put in place but from what I have actually experienced in the beta I can comfortably tolerate it. I don't mind that people are upset about what they've put in place, but fake maths isn't a great way to fight back. Perhaps I'm an oddball for saying it, but I kind of loathe the progression systems in all of these games (one of the things I liked about OW was that it didn't have one). This really doesn't seem that much more arduous than having to level up in Call of Duty or grind to get attachments in Battlefield/operators in Rainbow Six, it's certainly not as annoying as trying to get cards for Warzone in Halo 5.

Now that you mention it, I did unlock weapons, abilities and poses from the challenges. It isn't so bad if they keep that option around. But seriously, they didn't need to make us earn less from what was in beta.

Tying progression to loot boxes is a new crazy one for me.
So much room for EA to fuck this up.

I'll let Gaf and others let me know how bad this is at launch, definitely not a day 1 buy right now.

Halabane

No season pass. No ability to do much with cosmetics because of disney not wanting their images tarnished. You don't have those things so they are going to get it in another way. Question will be how balanced this is. Guess if you are okay with some guy who doesn't want to grind for days but willing to fork out 50 bucks on loot boxes. Kids have no money but have time, old guys have money but no time. This is the new balance equation. Those that grind the game will probably be better because of all the practice they got so there's that revenge possibility. There is that chance this balance does not work and it breaks the game.

Lot of money for those licenses ... EA is going to make this (well..more like you) pay.

Yeah, everything about it is wrong and I completely lost interest in the game. I hope this backfires on EA. Shitty practices shouldn't be rewarded.

Moff

I would never support p2w so the multiplayer in BF2 is dead to me.
if the campaign is good I might by it at a sale later.

Maybe I’m crazy but the vast majority of star cards in the beta lacked meaningful effects that would alter the outcome of a fight. It’s mostly just cooldown reductions or niche stuff like melee kills (lol) recovering health. The most egregious offender is probably the +40% health starfighter card. But there didn’t seem to be anything like that for troopers or heroes (outside of very situational stuff like Fett’s rocket barrage damage reduction).

Having gameplay upgrades in loot crates is scummy on principle, but I really don’t see how a Battlefront player with maxed out cards would have much of a combat advantage against a new player. Or at least the beta cards aren’t designed that way.

Eurogamer said:
Wouldn't it be easier if you had a big pile of money to spend on a stack of loot crates instead? Yes, in other words, Battlefront 2 - a full-priced game - is pay to win.

I appreciate them not mincing words.

That's why I wouldn't even go for if it was free-to-play. In co-op, possibly, depending on how those modes were designed, but certainly never in any competitive modes.

What started this damn lootcrate trend? Destiny?
Nah. You have to go back to at least Team Fortress 2. The original hat game. Though TF2 went F2P and also gave tons of drops constantly. Also you could trade your drops with others at your leisure.

I'm not sure what game was the first full-priced release with paid loot boxes, though.

Didn't enjoy the beta and the lootcrates are freakin annoying. I'll wait until next year when they patch things to be more like the first and drop the price.

Ploid 3.0

if game rewards you for doing nothing, each server is gonna be plagued with afk farming bots

I actually got a ton of chests, crates, and skins in Paragon by extending the match time in solo Player vs AI mode. The thing about that game is you get more exp and rep the longer the match is. I could consistently get more exp by playing the AI and afking at times, and I was showered with rewards for it. Though they fixed it now, and it kicks you at 3-4 minutes of inactivity. You have to move spinning may not work. Paragon is acceptable, it's free and the crates are showered on you.

I get really bored of playing Overwatch, so when the event skins happened I would afk in a Player vs AI match sometimes, or use remote play for it. Thank goodness I'm over getting skins in that game.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Forza 7
Lord of the rings
Star wars

Yo fuck modern AAA gaming.
Second hand $10 max here we go again.

Tapejara

Maybe I'm crazy but the vast majority of star cards in the beta lacked meaningful effects that would alter the outcome of a fight. It's mostly just cooldown reductions or niche stuff like melee kills (lol) recovering health. The most egregious offender is probably the +40% health starfighter card. But there didn't seem to be anything like that for troopers or heroes (outside of very situational stuff like Fett's rocket barrage damage reduction).

Having gameplay upgrades in loot crates is scummy on principle, but I really don't see how a Battlefront player with maxed out cards would have much of a combat advantage against a new player. Or at least the beta cards aren't designed that way.

You're able to have up to three cards active at one time, meaning you can stack effects. A card that grants fire faster rate might not be too effective on its own, but combine it with a card that also increases damage output and now you're not only firing faster but also dealing more damage simultaneously. Players who have more money to spend can invest more in the lootbox system, and due to the RNG system they'll not only have a better chance at unlocking those cards, but also earning better versions while someone who doesn't put money into the system is going to be at a disadvantage. There's also presumably going to be a wider selection of star cards at launch, as the beta states "here you will find a selection of the many Star Cards available at launch" when equipping cards.

Fucking lootcrates.

This is why it was ridiculous for Disney to give exclusive rights for Star Wars to EA through 2023.

From 2013 to 2023 nothing but EA Star Wars. Makes me want to break something.

So much prospective creativity being artificially withheld from happening due to bullshit exclusive licensing like this.

Oh, and of course all creative decisions must flow directly through the extremely narrow canon-controlling channel of the Lucasfilm Story Group.

So this is what we get. A rushed fraction of a game in 2015, and now a decent reasonably complete game that is soiled by lootboxes.

That and countless terrible mobile games that would have been laughed at and thrown in the garbage if put up to compete with the likes of Xwing, Tie Fighter, Dark Forces, Jedi Knight etc.

hidys

Nah. You have to go back to at least Team Fortress 2. The original hat game. Though TF2 went F2P and also gave tons of drops constantly. Also you could trade your drops with others at your leisure.

I'm not sure what game was the first full-priced release with paid loot boxes, though.

I feel like the answer to this question could be Mass Effect 3 but I could be totally wrong.

Yeah I'm really disappointed about this one. Forza, Destiny 2, CoD and the like are games I don't really care about overall (might get one or two further down the line) but this one really sucks. I want to be excited by the game and see it do well, but practically from the announcement from this game it was obviously going to be heavily reliant on a predatory fee-to-pay economy to pay for the massive content increases from the 2015 game. Even though I tend to judge all fee-to-pay games equally (A.K.A Overwatch does indeed suck) I can't help but be extra disappointed at how this system encompasses almost everything about the multiplayer experience, as if it's been tailored around this economy... just like the mobile games that created the whole thing and where it should just stay if publishers weren't so greedy. I hate that I'll be buying this, and that says something considering I'm on the positive side overall still about this game after what seems to be at best a lacklustre beta. Well done EA.

Oh and seriously this time well done to the big sites making a stink about this, nothing will change (for the positive anyway) without this and this at least is encouraging to see.

Falchion

The way they've implemented this is gross. I'll still be playing, but I might spend a lot more time playing singleplayer.

careksims

Tweeted this article to EAstarwarr but I doubt they'll do anything. Ugh. I like the game but I don't how they're handling loot crates. This fucking year.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I didn’t really notice the loot box stuff. Opened one freebie one. It’s just everywhere now so it just sort of blends into the background of me. I was too distracted by how poorly the game plays.

Top Bottom