• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Tabata on Final Fantasy XV - "core-centric", "casual", "best FF ever"

But they already made FFXII

fixed.

it's probably this games easy mode, similar to how Bayonetta had a hold button to win mode. it's a very straightforward solution. easy modes that let you win, hold button to win or press one button to win. in the end, it's all a solution for players that don't want to play their games. this has been on-going for years.

yea, this is a repost from the one button patent thread

Mortemis

Banned
Instant gratification with super easy shit may work out, but it sounds unlikely. Tabata needs to learn that the most gratifying feeling you get from gaming is defeating a hard challenge.

MormaPope

Banned
da2ot-04.gif

The Revenge of Bro Mountain?

So like, square = attack, triangle = magic, circle = block ect? Do you press them in succession to string together combos like square ×3, triangle or do you just hokd the button down? I am confused.

duckroll

I like the strategic comments he has for the combat though. It does sound like this is way less of a pure action RPG and more of a action-based RPG with more strategic and tactical choices in terms of how you approach something, rather than how good you are at reacting to action and executing the action skillfully.

"When we were making the transition, we sat down and I discussed with Nomura the game," he says. "I felt that I wanted to shift it more to be more realistic. For example, when you're battling a really strong boss like a behemoth, if you go at it from just the front you're going to get hit with his counter-attacks. You have to think about baiting it to attack forward, but then break its stance and attack it from the side. I wanted to make it so you're fighting a real animal, but with easy-to-manipulate controls as well as dramatic effects. My basis was to keep it grounded in reality."

It's clearly not VersusXIII anymore, but it could still be pretty fun if the encounters are well designed and there are interesting things you can do in the battles.

Soriku

The auto-driving car thing is the scarier part to me. They've learned nothing from XIII, have they?

If you're not aiming to go somewhere, letting the car drive and taking in the scenery is fine.

But when you apply it to the combat...fuck that shit.

Hindle

Banned
Basically, in games like Tomb Raider or Uncharted where there's huge set pieces where the player has little to no control, thats what I expect FF XV to be.

Feindflug

I have an idea, why don't they make you push down A and let the game do the rest until you win the battle? pushing A again and again might get tiresome.

kasane

so its not the final fantasy 7 love letter with advent children movements and crisis core gameplay anymore

the dream is dead

duckroll

"My goal is to have people play Final Fantasy 15, and for them to think this is the best Final Fantasy they've ever played."

*looks around the XV threads*

Hmmm... Tabata is off to a good start. (laughs)

chico

wow. is he really that stupid? this is exactly how you fuck up a once loved and successful game series. good work Square!

SOLDIER

Press A for Awesome confirmed? This has to be the most negative of Tabata's comments regarding the battle system out of the 6 interviews from the past 2 days.

Do I have to state the obvious that this probably isn't a required method to play the game, but rather an option?

If he's going to give a choice between driving that car or letting it go auto, why wouldn't he offer the same choice for combat?

0Nr1tdv.gif

No but seriously, he says there is still going to be a 'manual mode' so this isn't nearly as bad as it sounds. If they want to add a mode for a casual player, Im okay with that as long as Im not forced to use it. Options are fine.

He only mentions the manual mode for the car driving, he doesn't explicitly say that there'll be one for the battle system.

I really really really really really really REALLY hope there's a manual mode, though. If I have to play through some bullshit auto- win press A to awesome "system" because Tabata is an old geezer I'm gonna have an aneurysm.

Old Tabata takes a deep drag from his cigarette and coughs repeatedly, before looking at the camera and groaning, "Games have changed. When the combat is under total AI control, an RPG... becomes awesome."

MormaPope

Banned
Do I have to state the obvious that this probably isn't a required method to play the game, but rather an option?

If he's going to give a choice between driving that car or letting it go auto, why wouldn't he offer the same choice for combat?

Because the combat has been pitched as this multiple times.

This thread will end in nothing but tears until either Jump Festa or the demo.

And the way things are going.... Maybe people won't even try the demo.

Dark_castle

Pack it up M_Night and everyone last survivors left in the XV hype camp. Pack it my brothers, for the dreams, they are over.

uvAgG7H.gif

SOLDIER

*looks around the XV threads*

Hmmm... Tabata is off to a good start. (laughs)

There isn't a Final Fantasy that could be made right now that wouldn't be met with overwhelming negativity prior to its release. Even the FFVII Remake would be filled with message boards complaining about how they were butchering a classic or whatever.

It all depends on whether the finished product delivers something that the majority end up liking.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
"IM NOT GETTING ANY OLDER, I DONT WANT TO BE FRANTICALLY PUSHING BUTTONS!"

- Hajime Tabata's reason for getting rid of real time action KH style inputs ;__;

The real reason is SE is gonna make this game as casual as they possibly can cause it literally can't fail for them. Ironically, that desperation may push it to fail like RE6...

Atleast there's KH3 for real time action...

raven777

I really hope they simple actions are for those who are not really good at action based games, and they have option of more manual way of playing for those who want more direct control.

But I really doubt it from reading Tabata's interviews.

Top Bottom