• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Tabata on Final Fantasy XV - "core-centric", "casual", "best FF ever"

Welp......there it is.........it's like my giant balloon full of hope for this game has just been popped.(im being hyperbolic guys)

Now I wish the game was still a spinoff so they wouldn't feel the need to change it from the KH-style comb

duckroll

Do I have to state the obvious that this probably isn't a required method to play the game, but rather an option?

If he's going to give a choice between driving that car or letting it go auto, why wouldn't he offer the same choice for combat?

Because the game is probably designed to play this way. The comparison with the car is different. When you're letting the car drive on its own, you're not playing that part of the game. The choice is that you don't have to do it, because it's an optional part of the game. Here it's pretty clear that he is designing a game where the challenge is not in how good the player is at action, but how the player approaches the encounters.

You're not stating the obvious when you guess that there is a choice. You are simply projecting your desire onto what he did not say. If there is an option for more complex action based combat, why wouldn't he say so since he has been so honest and open about everything else. He's talking about the sort of game he wants to make, and he says there will be depth, but that the depth is not in the controls and input. I think it's best people start accepting that instead of being disappointed AGAIN when it comes out and it's exactly what he described.

Instead people should look at the positive things he has said about the combat and encounter design. It might be press A for Awesome, but that doesn't mean fighting enemies has to be brain-dead or uninteresting. It's just the difference in how you approach it.

Hindle

Banned
Oh I see you're learning the combat system well already.

You can just hold the button down though instead of pressing it repeatedly.

Spells will likely be automated as well, like get low on health and the game will automatically heal you, because............ accessability.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
"When we were making the transition, we sat down and I discussed with Nomura the game," he says. "I felt that I wanted to shift it more to be more realistic. For example, when you're battling a really strong boss like a behemoth, if you go at it from just the front you're going to get hit with his counter-attacks. You have to think about baiting it to attack forward, but then break its stance and attack it from the side. I wanted to make it so you're fighting a real animal, but with easy-to-manipulate controls as well as dramatic effects. My basis was to keep it grounded in reality."

From the way I look at it, you still need to strategize. Like if you just press A for Awesome (aka only attack), you'll still die. So I guess this is kinda like FFXIII's paradigm shifting but between attack and defend, but with more manual movement.

MormaPope

Banned
There isn't a Final Fantasy that could be made right now that wouldn't be met with overwhelming negativity prior to its release. Even the FFVII Remake would be filled with message boards complaining about how they were butchering a classic or whatever.

It all depends on whether the finished product delivers something that the majority end up liking.

You say that as if Final Fantasy hasn't been dragged through the mud in the past 4 years. What do you expect? People were hyped when the trailer was released a week ago because the game existed and it had a story theme that could resonate with people.

I personally questioned the combat immediately while other people were busy shitting themselves over FFXV existing.

Well I appreciate the fact that he is taking old people into consideration by removing hard to remember button combinations. At least someone in the industry is thinking about the elderly.

Betty

Banned
digging-your-own-grave-o.gif

On the bright side, at least it won't be a surprise.

botty

Banned
So they want to make the game more inclusive to newcomers and casual gamers, and this is an issue?

Sigh... it will be Smash Bros. Brawl all over again, except people will be even more ridiculous since it's final fantasy.

Xenus

I really hope they simple actions are for those who are not really good at action based games, and they have option of more manual way of playing for those who want more direct control.

But I really doubt it from reading Tabata's interviews.

Yeah essentially if really want to make it more casual friendly he needs to have a more complex system for the present Final Fantasy fans or there will be some heavy backlash and he might end up chasing away the base 6+ million in the folly of chasing the casual crowd.

sphinx

the piano man
this game.

this game has all the ingredients for the perfect backlash storm.

regardless ot quality, there was no way it was going to live up to the 8-10 year long hype, so the battle system being shit (assuming it turns out to be that) will set the videogame social media world on fire.

Tabata should prepare a bunker for protection.

Since the new thread was made i'll just re-post my response.

We are in an age where game series like Dark Souls, which is unforgiving and doesn't hold your hand, are one of the most talked about series today. They also sell millions of units. Why the fuck Square is purposely making it casual, hand holding garbage is ridiculous. Being all proud of it makes it even worse.

For everyone that has waited for the greater good of a decade for this game, this is the biggest balls we could have received short of them cancelling it.

Fuck you Square and please go out of business so the Final Fantasy IP ends up in competent hands.

Has it been confirmed that there's no weapon switching in the full game? I was initially turned off by the hold down the button for awesome approach (still am), but if you have to manually keep track of what weapon you're using in between every press that could lead to more challenge and variety with the gameplay. Imagine you're surrounded by enemies, one of which is a heavy armored enemy that can only be hurt by the slow, big swords you can see Noctis using during the tech demo. You would switch to the heavy weapon for that enemy, hold attack to get a combo in, and then switch to a smaller and faster sword to be able to attack enemies like those goblins. All of this would be happening while keeping track of dodging at precisely the right moment. That sounds fun and interesting to me and would give depth, but I've seen people here say weapon switching is gone. In which case, fuck this shit.

Damn you, Tabata.

sn00zer

Because the game is probably designed to play this way. The comparison with the car is different. When you're letting the car drive on its own, you're not playing that part of the game. The choice is that you don't have to do it, because it's an optional part of the game. Here it's pretty clear that he is designing a game where the challenge is not in how good the player is at action, but how the player approaches the encounters.

You're not stating the obvious when you guess that there is a choice. You are simply projecting your desire onto what he did not say. If there is an option for more complex action based combat, why wouldn't he say so since he has been so honest and open about everything else. He's talking about the sort of game he wants to make, and he says there will be depth, but that the depth is not in the controls and input. I think it's best people start accepting that instead of being disappointed AGAIN when it comes out and it's exactly what he described.

Instead people should look at the positive things he has said about the combat and encounter design. It might be press A for Awesome, but that doesn't mean fighting enemies has to be brain-dead or uninteresting. It's just the difference in how you approach it.

I get this, but at the same time I would find it so much more satisfying to do this in realtime. The example he gives of the behemoth can be said for any action game. Imagine having to flank and time attacks in realtime in order to break its guard..... could have made it an action game with a brain..

Especially if less focus on menus or button combinations frees up resources for contextual events and animations. Consider Sleeping Dogs, perhaps a fitting example for today. I mean it's mostly just spamming 1 button and using another for contextual reaction. That's not much different than spamming an attack and having a contextual block. And yet, the game has probably the most fun, visceral, and satisfying combat in not only a gameplay sense but a visual and cinematic sense in a long time. Especially with a cast of only 4 characters that never change (opposed to, say, 10 characters that make up dozens of 4-person party variations), you could have so many cool or cinematic contextual moves, events, etc based on how close characters are to one another, to trees or rocks or debris, to monsters, weather, water, body damage or health, et cetera et cetera. The trailer seemed to suggest this. A lot of the 'fun' could be the timing or context how the characters and monsters interact. I mean, that's the potential at least, I suppose.

Pappasman

Has it been confirmed that there's no weapon switching in the full game? I was initially turned off by the hold down the button for awesome approach (still am), but if you have to manually keep track of what weapon you're using in between every press that could lead to more challenge and variety with the gameplay. Imagine you're surrounded by enemies, one of which is a heavy armored enemy that can only be hurt by the slow, big swords you can see Noctis using during the tech demo. You would switch to the heavy weapon for that enemy, hold attack to get a combo in, and then switch to a smaller and faster sword to be able to attack enemies like those goblins. All of this would be happening while keeping track of dodging at precisely the right moment. That sounds fun and interesting to me and would give depth, but I've seen people here say weapon switching is gone. In which case, fuck this shit.

Damn you, Tabata.

Apparently you have to set the weapons you want and the game auto chooses them for you depending on context :\

Mortemis

Banned
There isn't a Final Fantasy that could be made right now that wouldn't be met with overwhelming negativity prior to its release. Even the FFVII Remake would be filled with message boards complaining about how they were butchering a classic or whatever.

It all depends on whether the finished product delivers something that the majority end up liking.

Idk, when the demo announcement got leaked everyone was frantically happy, and then the TGS trailer showed up and hype was through the roof. Even more so when we saw the graphics demo. Of course we still had turn-based purists drive by posting every once in a while but everything was looking good.

Then Tabata started talking.

Apparently you have to set the weapons you want and the game auto chooses them for you depending on context :\
That's what I feared. I like the idea of having a weapon deck that you would manually call upon to use depending on the situation, but having that be auto as well as the combos themselves basically means the player has hardly any control. :/

SOLDIER

My point is that I really, really, really doubt this is going to be a one-button game that requires zero strategy or skill.

People can be hyperbolic all they want, but simple logic suggests otherwise.

Nerokis

What a surreal comment. Like... this is the equivalent to hearing your otherwise perfectly likable uncle suddenly spout racist ideology in the middle of a crowded room. Does Tabata not realize we're living in a post-DA2 world? Emphasizing one button action combat with instant gratification...in this game of all games? What happened here? How.

I still have a "wait and see" mentality, but I now look toward the future with a feeling of dread.

KHlover

Banned
Look at the bright side guys - at least with only one button and the control stick needed the game will work perfectly with Vita remote play!

MormaPope

Banned
So they want to make the game more inclusive to newcomers and casual gamers, and this is an issue?

Sigh... it will be Smash Bros. Brawl all over again,
except people will be even more ridiculous since it's final fantasy.

You mean the most divisive Smash Bros game that exists? Yeah, there definitely weren't real issues with Brawl.

Why does Final Fantasy need to appeal to newcomers to the genre? Fallout 3 and New Vegas weren't stripped down versions of Oblivion. Dragon Age Inquisition is looking like it isn't going to follow what Dragon Age 2 set out to do. The Witcher 3 isn't getting more casualized.

How about this, make an RPG for genre veterans and have adjustable battle speed and difficulty options?

Top Bottom