• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Tabata on Final Fantasy XV - "core-centric", "casual", "best FF ever"

ConceptX

They're using Nomura's pre-production that he built over the years and letting somebody else take the glory of it all.

Nomura must be mentally destroyed at this point.

If you think about it that its pretty despicable and borders on abusive.

But I trynot to think about it because I don't want to hate the game itself and because I donot know enough details.

Is some ways this game didn't have a "clean" release and Its actually pretty tragic.

Well this could be true, but how much do we really know?

We don't know if Nomura was the main reason for the delays, was he pushing the limit too far? Did he really have a unified vision? Did his staff disagree? Was Type-0 staff moved really to just help out? Or were they brought over to ensure some work actually happened?

We don't know, and for him being moved by the CEO, not on his own terms, it doesn't really paint a picture of confidence in Nomura for directing such a big game as FFXV in Square Enix, if Nomura truly was at fault, then someone had to step in so this game actually gets released.

Or maybe, everything was fine on XV and only Nomura can direct KH3, and SE wanted development to go ahead full steam on KH3.

Who knows, we likely never will. At any rate, it's highly likely that Nomura's story and artistic direction has been retained.

Nomura's name is attached to many highly rated Final Fantasies, and those being directed by others hasn't too away any glory for him, so I doubt XV will forget Nomura's involvement. Anyone following the game certainly knows it's his baby.

How epic would've been if Toriyama replaced Nomura on this project?
semttulou2qbg.png

AHHHHHHHHHHH THAT'S IT'S FACE

Stark

Banned
I'm wondering how the Leviathan boss fight and this whole sequence in this city is gonna play out, or if its still there

I think that's why they didn't include bosses in the demo. It was said a long time ago we are to fight the summons. But Stone Ocean is right, that scene looked like a giant set piece.

I think that's why they didn't include bosses in the demo. It was said a long time ago we are to fight the summons. But Stone Ocean is right, that scene looked like a giant set piece.

Yeah, Tabata's comment that bosses are a big deal combined with the scale of the adamantoise suggests pretty strongly that things like the Leviathan fight are still in and of this scale. The summon fights in particular thrill me if they're at this scale: I would love to chase Ifrit through a burning city or battle Shiva on a frozen lake. I'm really hoping that if summon details aren't at Jump, they're the big surprise Tabata is promising at the end of the demo.

Stark

Banned
Yeah, Tabata's comment that bosses are a big deal combined with the scale of the adamantoise suggests pretty strongly that things like the Leviathan fight are still in and of this scale. The summon fights in particular thrill me if they're at this scale: I would love to chase Ifrit through a burning city or battle Shiva on a frozen lake. I'm really hoping that if summon details aren't at Jump, they're the big surprise Tabata is promising at the end of the demo.

If we go by the summons being guardians of each nation: Solheim, Accordo, Tenebrae, Lucis, and Niflheim. 5 Summons (so far?)

If we go by the summons being guardians of each nation: Solheim, Accordo, Tenebrae, Lucis, and Niflheim. 5 Summons (so far?)

Would be great I think! Solheim and Niflheim even have names that set them up for Ifrit and Shiva. Add in a secret summon or two and I'm in heaven.

wmlk

So, Luna is a new character and not a retooled Stella?

We don't know. Even the old characters from pre-2013 were reintroduced in the E3 trailer last year. That means that Stella doesn't really exist since they haven't reintroduced her.

Luna could be Stella, or Stella might be reintroduced later on. All we know is her name.

Squire

Banned
We don't know. Even the old characters from pre-2013 were reintroduced in the E3 trailer last year. That means that Stella doesn't really exist since they haven't reintroduced her.

Luna could be Stella, or Stella might be reintroduced later on. All we know is her name.

Ah, as I thought. Thanks.

Nomura is pretty much the Japanese Jesus when you think about it. We and square are punishing him for our own sins, and won't realize how much we messed up until it's too late.

Stark

Banned

From the PR, seems we will see her in the demo:
Players will be able to see familiar denizens of the FINAL FANTASY series, including a larger-than-life Adamantoise, a lumbering Garula herd, and mischievous goblins. Fans can also catch a glimpse of Luna, who plays a pivotal role in the story.

http://press.na.square-enix.com/rel...for-final-fantasy-type0-hd-and-final-fantasy-

Fully translated dengeki interview: http://gematsu.com/2014/09/dengeki-final-fantasy-xv-type-0-hd-tgs-2014-interview#gxthJ6HI8aGI9WP0.99 About the combat system:
tabata said:
Tabata: The battles take place in real time action. However, you are always fighting alongside your companions, so they are action battles with a stress party cooperation. The system is operated in an even simpler manner than in Type-0.

Cooperation with your companions is carried out automatically, but since there are easy to use weapon and ability co-op components, we are preparing it so you have fun figuring out which settings work through trial and error, trying out one combo and then another.

Squire

Banned
Way, waaay back, I remember reading something about how the game let you utilize all kinds of different weapons, and your point of view (and control input system) totally changed on the fly depending on whatever weapon you equipped and switched to.

I'm gonna guess this isn't really a thing in the game anymore with all the simplicity talk...

funkypie

Banned
The more I hear about this the more I dislike. Might do what I did with ff13-2 and buy it for £5 in a bargain bin. Hard to trust reviews since ff13 reviewed well..

Sanpunkan

The more I hear about this the more I dislike. Might do what I did with ff13-2 and buy it for £5 in a bargain bin. Hard to trust reviews since ff13 reviewed well..

But you'd take scraps of information from interviews about a game nobody has played yet as reason not to buy it?

Soriku

Tabata's future game concepts sound terrible.

“Ultimately, I do want to create something based on real history—a Final Fantasy game based on real history, for example,” Tabata said to Siliconera recently. “For example; you’d have the American Civil war as a back drop, and then behind the scenes all of these Final Fantasy-type characters are utilizing their special abilities to fight. I really love that kind of setting. That’s the kind of game, I really, really want to make!”

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/09/2...or-aware-ageing-audience/#yJokhuDhhQbHrA84.99

I had a similar concept, except with KH instead of FF. Sora would travel to different periods of history while recruiting historical figures.

lol

ZenTzen

Tabata's future game concepts sound terrible.

“Ultimately, I do want to create something based on real history—a Final Fantasy game based on real history, for example,” Tabata said to Siliconera recently. “For example; you’d have the American Civil war as a back drop, and then behind the scenes all of these Final Fantasy-type characters are utilizing their special abilities to fight. I really love that kind of setting. That’s the kind of game, I really, really want to make!”

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/09/2...or-aware-ageing-audience/#yJokhuDhhQbHrA84.99

For a Final Fantasy game, yeah, pretty terrible, i like FF because everytime, its a new world with its own cities people, story, etc, i dont want real world stuff in FF

IF he wants to do it as a new IP, then he can do whatever the hell he wants

killatopak

Gold Member
For a Final Fantasy game, yeah, pretty terrible, i like FF because everytime, its a new world with its own cities people, story, etc, i dont want real world stuff in FF

That's just like your opinion man. Besides, only Noctis' country has an apparent likeness to real world settings. Every other country still looks medieval or Fantasy based.

It's a clash of modern and fantasy based settings and I like that. IMO of course.

ZenTzen

That's just like your opinion man. Besides, only Noctis' country has an apparent likeness to real world settings. Every other country still looks medieval or Fantasy based.

It's a clash of modern and fantasy based settings and I like that. IMO of course.

i dont think you understood what i said, i'm saying i dont want our world and its history mixed with FF, if tabata wants to make a game with that kind of setting, he should make it a new IP or just go do a shadow hearts game

Philippo

Lots of interesting details in here:

There are realistic scenes spread out, but the terrain takes a strange form and you can see a burning meteorite (astral fragment), which make it a FF-esque world.

More fantastical areas as the game progresses, for those complaining about the realistic elements.

They camp along the way, stay at hotels, it adheres to the way the gameplay gives the sensation of going on a road trip

Inn's are back? Halleluia!

Of course we plan to respond to the feedback we receive from those who play it to the best of our abilities.

At least we now know they're opern to feedbacks.

By the way, Type-0 HD is releasing worldwide, but the FFXV demo in Japan will have Japanese voice acting and English voice acting in the overseas versions.

Western version of the demo will have English voice acting, so they must already be full working on translation.

Including the elements we aimed for with Final Fantasy Versus XIII, development is progressing soundly.

So i guess that 55% isn't all encompassing, and the game is even further along with developement.

Phades

Western version of the demo will have English voice acting, so they must already be full working on translation.
Hopefully on launch they allow for audio dialogue selection and subtitles in case the JP voice acting ends up being better or the EN/FR/SP/DE/other ends up being bad/questionable.

ZenTzen

Lots of interesting details in here:
More fantastical areas as the game progresses, for those complaining about the realistic elements.
for me, i cant wait to see the other cities and other areas of the world map, it'll be amazing

Inn's are back? Halleluia!
yep, thats inline with what nomuras been saying even before the director change

At least we now know they're opern to feedbacks.
Thats nice to know, but i hope hes aware of some of the concerns people already have with the game, and somewhat addresses them next week or at Jump Festa

thats awesome to know, less waiting time, and hoping there'll be dual audio off the bat, and hopefully no western ending song like the XIII games

So i guess that 55% isn't all encompassing, and the game is even further along with developement.
maybe

killatopak

Gold Member
i dont think you understood what i said, i'm saying i dont want our world and its history mixed with FF, if tabata wants to make a game with that kind of setting, he should make it a new IP or just go do a shadow hearts game

Ahh I see. You meant that for the new IP that Tabata wants to make? Yeah, I guess you're right.

While I would hate a FF game set in the real world, a FF with a setting INSPIRED by the Civil War(like that era), I wouldn't mind. FF tends to go either medieval fantasy(with sci-fi aspects) or modern-futuristic(with fantasy aspects). Really, you don't see that much in-between. I'd like, say, a late 1800s/early 1900s inspired FF. Sorta steampunk mixed with a look of the Edwardian era up to the 1920s. It would be a FF world, don't get me wrong, filled with classic enemies, summons and crystals, but there'd also be night clubs with jazz and big bands, vaudeville entertainment, Moogle mafia and such. THAT would be cool, IMO.

Koozek

While I would hate a FF game set in the real world, a FF with a setting INSPIRED by the Civil War(like that era), I wouldn't mind. FF tends to go either medieval(with sci-fi) or modern-futuristic(with fantasy). Really, you don't see that much inbetween. I'd like, say, a late 1800s/early 1900s inspired FF. Sorta steampunk mixed with a look of the Edwardian era up to the 1920s. It would be a FF world, don't get me wrong, filled with classic enemies, summons and crystals, but there'd also be night clubs with jazz and big bands, vaudeville entertainment, Moogle mafia and such. THAT would be cool, IMO.

My man! Exactly what I once fantasized about. Like L.A. Noir (or earlier, like you said) meets FF.

Sheeei', I'd love to see a new Shadow Hearts-esque game with production values of a FF.

My man! Exactly what I once fantasized about. Like L.A. Noir (or earlier, like you said) meets FF.

Sheeei', I'd love to see a new Shadow Hearts-esque game with production values of a FF.

I always thought Edea's general look was very 1920s inspired(but, like I said, take that era and run it through the "fantasy machine):

I'm interested in seeing other locations for FFXV. They did hint that one location was inspired by Manchester. And I'm wondering what home nation of Niflheim looks like. Seemingly it's the most medieval of the bunch, to the point that they've seemingly sacrificed "cultural progression" for war machines. FFXV's world, in general, is still very mysterious.

Philippo

I'm interested in seeing other locations for FFXV. They did hint that one location was inspired by Manchester. And I'm wondering what home nation of Niflheim looks like. Seemingly it's the most medieval of the bunch, to the point that they've seemingly sacrificed "cultural progression" for war machines. FFXV's world, in general, is still very mysterious.

I can't wait to see it all, it always sounded so interesting!
I picture Niflheim kinda like Bravely Default's Eternia, all snowy and war-centric.
Then Tenebrae something with a forest, and Solheim as the usual desert-canyon area.

Also, do we know who Emperor Aldercapt(Eldercapt?) is? I guess the old man leading the army in the 2013 trailer, the other one looks much more like the leader of some organization istead of an emperor.

Slowdive

Banned
I can't wait to see it all, it always sounded so interesting!
I picture Niflheim kinda like Bravely Default's Eternia, all snowy and war-centric.
Then Tenebrae something with a forest, and Solheim as the usual desert-canyon area.

Also, do we know who Emperor Aldercapt(Eldercapt?) is? I guess the old man leading the army in the 2013 trailer, the other one looks much more like the leader of some organization istead of an emperor.

Aldercapt is this guy:

We don't know the name of the guy leading the army.

ZenTzen

While I would hate a FF game set in the real world, a FF with a setting INSPIRED by the Civil War(like that era), I wouldn't mind. FF tends to go either medieval fantasy(with sci-fi aspects) or modern-futuristic(with fantasy aspects). Really, you don't see that much in-between. I'd like, say, a late 1800s/early 1900s inspired FF. Sorta steampunk mixed with a look of the Edwardian era up to the 1920s. It would be a FF world, don't get me wrong, filled with classic enemies, summons and crystals, but there'd also be night clubs with jazz and big bands, vaudeville entertainment, Moogle mafia and such. THAT would be cool, IMO.

that i wouldnt mind, tabatas idea of putting it in the real world is what makes it unappealing

Top Bottom