• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EuropaCorp’s Stock Value Drops in Wake of ‘Valerian’s’ Poor Opening Weekend

Link.

The disastrous opening weekend in the U.S. of Luc Besson’s “Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets” has left EuropaCorp with a hangover, as the Paris-based company saw its stock value drop by 8.31% by the close of trading on Monday.

EuropaCorp’s stock price fell to 3.53 euros ($4.11) in the wake of “Valerian’s” performance at the U.S. box office over the weekend.

Believed to be the most expensive independent movie of all time with a budget of $180 million, “Valerian” grossed just $17 million from 3,553 theaters and landed in fifth place, behind “War for the Planet of the Apes,” “Spider-Man: Homecoming,” “Girls Trip” and Christopher Nolan’s World War II movie “Dunkirk,” which surpassed expectations and received glowing reviews.

“Previous EuropaCorp film such as ‘Taken’ and ‘Lucy’ have done well in the U.S. as well as worldwide. If ‘Valerian’ turns out to be a flop in the U.S., it will be very difficult to compensate in international markets considering the size of the budget,” said Westcott.

By comparison, “Lucy,” which cost $40 million to make, grossed $43.8 million during its opening weekend in the U.S. and went on to take $463 million worldwide.

Although EuropaCorp has a limited risk on “Valerian” – about 90% of the film’s budget was financed with pre-sales and equity investment, Besson says – it desperately needs the film to be hit as the company just posted record losses of 119.9 million euros ($135 million) for the fiscal year ending March 31.

A EuropaCorp spokesperson told Variety last month that the company has limited its exposure to less than $20 million on “Valerian” but is nevertheless “looking towards a significant performance from ‘Valerian’ in the hopes of creating the company’s newest franchise.”

“Valerian” has to make $400 million worldwide to help EuropaCorp climb into the black and justify a sequel, according to several financial analysts, including Pavel Govciyan, an analyst at Natixis.

More at the link.

Whompa02

I remember looking at that article about Valarien being, "the 100+ whatever million indie movie that is impossible to fail" and just laughing...someone obviously was going to lose money on this piece of cgi nonsense.

I am honestly astonished the people who helped fund over $200M into this type of project honestly believed they would see a cent of that cash won back.

Then again, this is the same studio that has produced/distributed such critical and commercial hit films like Nine Lives, Shut In, and The Circle...

I am honestly astonished the people who helped fund over $200M into this type of project honestly believed they would see a cent of that cash won back.

Then again, this is the same studio that has produced/distributed such critical and commercial hit films like Nine Lives, Shut In, and The Circle...

"It's going to be the next Star Wars, lads!"

aBarreras

why do you people enjoy someone else failure?

is this even a offensively bad movie? did luc besson kill your dog something?

s_mirage

why do you people enjoy someone else failure?

is this even a offensively bad movie? did luc besson kill your dog something?

I don't really enjoy someone else's failure, but it was obvious that this was going to bomb. There was absolutely nothing to indicate that the franchise was well known/loved enough in the US to support making a film with a $200 million budget.

I don't get why France is so obsessed with making movies in English language. It's kinda bizzarre and really weird considering how rude they act towards the language once you are in the country.

EuropaCorp makes horrible movies anyway. Hopefully, they will stick to making movies in French. It's rare a non native speaker of English can ever make good movies in it. Even The Professional is pretty crappy movie outside of the action scenes and Gary Oldman flipping out.

norm9

EuropaCorp makes horrible movies anyway. Hopefully, they will stick to making movies in French. It's rare a non native speaker of English can ever make good movies in it. Even The Professional is pretty crappy movie outside of the action scenes and Gary Oldman flipping out.

Two absolutely ridiculous statements.

ZeroGravity

Had never heard of this before until I saw the trailer before Spider-Man, and it looked like the most generic sci-fi shit ever. Not really surprised it bombed.

I blame Dane. Nothing against him but he doesnt have that blockbuster appeal. If they cast Tom Cruise it would have opened in the top spot.

Edit: i think Edge of Tomorrow would like to have a word with me.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I don't get why France is so obsessed with making movies in English language. It's kinda bizzarre and really weird considering how rude they act towards the language once you are in the country.

Oh lets not do revisionist history please. The Professional is an excellent fucking movie.

Boke1879

I gotta ask yall. Anyone that went to an AMC theater.

When I went to see Homecoming. They played a trailer for this. The colors were all off. It was like green filter was all over it. It look like corrupted footage. This was the only trailer to do this.

I'm surprised Europa Corp even greenlit this movie. "Tintin", another blockbuster film with a known name attached based on a beloved European comic, didn't set the world on fire when it came out. "Jupiter Ascending", another original space epic with a huge names attached, also didn't do well at the box office. The last couple Dane DeHaan-led films also have not done well at the box office.

Honestly, Besson was not a big enough name to draw crowds, the IP was not recognizable enough to spark interest, the cast was not appealing enough to draw in a big audience, and the only chance must have been if the movie got enough critical acclaim. That didn't happen, hence the failure.

It's a shame, because I was tempted to see it because of the opening scene that screened in front of "Homecoming" .

I loved Valerian. I believe the film will eventually find its audience. It won't end up as beloved as The Fifth Element, but will probably settle into a Speed Racer-esque level of fondness and home theater calibration success.

Some of ya'll asking about the budget -- watch the movie, every dollar is on screen.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Luc needed some people in the room who would've stopped him from sabotaging this before it got into theaters. "You want to cast who and who as the leads?! Nah, we aren't doing that." But this is his big independent movie and he wanted it done his way, more power to him.

Belker

I suspect a money laundering scheme

THere's an interview with INXS singer Michael Hutchence where he said he invested in Crocodile Dundee. I think he said it was supposed to be a tax scheme, based on the assumption the film would flop. It didn't.

Because they want to appeal to a broad audience. A foreign language film is often limited in performance due to the fact that a lot of audiences simply have no interest in watching a movie with subtitles. For smaller films and such this is fine, because they are usually catered to a specific audience, but when you're making a larger scale film like Valerian, or even a film like Transporter, you're going to have a very tough time selling it to audiences, especially in the US. Along with the fact that investors are a lot less likely to give you money for the production if it won't have international appeal.

It's the same reason why a lot of independent filmmakers internationally choose to make a film in English, because gaining attention from a wide audience is problematic enough as is without the language barrier.

Valerian has been one of my most anticipated movies this year and I didn't even know it came out Friday. Thought it was this upcoming friday......

Looked up preorder tickets and saw it was showing tonight, was like "wait....what?"

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
This wasn't just a casting issue. French comic-book visuals and stories don't work for block buster movies. They make those movies like they do fashion shows. Alien 4 suffered from the same issues. It's just too weird and random for people.

norm9

Valerian has been one of my most anticipated movies this year and I didn't even know it came out Friday. Thought it was this upcoming friday......

Looked up preorder tickets and saw it was showing tonight, was like "wait....what?"

Wait two more weeks and it'll be on demand. It does look like a theater experience though.

Top Bottom