• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europe Report 1st half 2015 - Top 20 Best-selling games (actual sales figures inside)

Really interesting figures; thanks Bruno. Just running a few numbers for The Order - 23 million euros is just over $26 million USD. Assuming it sold similarly in North America then let's say it made $50 million total sales, but Sony will only see, what, half of those profits? So if they earned $20-$30 million from The Order then there's no way they they made profit on it; especially when we factor in marketing costs as well.

I'm probably lowballing the figures here, and I don't know how much of a cut platform holders get from retail sales, but it doesn't look good for The Order. I expect its sales in Japan/Asia are extremely low too. Also not accounting for digital sales, which I guess could reasonably add another 20% to total figures, but would at the same time net Sony a higher profit margin.

Good to see Bloodborne in the top 10.

Not really that surprised to see The Order so closely behind it. When I bought my PS4 for Bloodborne it was bundled with the console. I'm just going to pretend most Order purchases stemmed from bundles bought for Bloodborne. :p

Paganmoon

Good to see Bloodborne in the top 10.

Not really that surprised to see The Order so closely behind it. When I bought my PS4 for Bloodborne it was bundled with the console. I'm just going to pretend most Order purchases stemmed from bundles bought for Bloodborne. :p

There were Playstation Bloodborne bundles too iirc.

Catdaddy

Holy shit on Far Cry 4, that was a November release, and still made top 5 of 2015. Loved the game and new it’s a big franchise, but that’s a lot of sales.

wildfire

Banned
Are you guys confused about Witcher 3 sales know for sure CDP report wasn't skewed heavily to digital sales?

This report in the OP doesn't count digital sales.

I'm really surprised Nintendo is 2nd best publisher even though they don't have much of presence in the top 10 and this wouldn't include Splatoon.

It's amazing that Nintendo can pull that off.

Melchiah

Really interesting figures; thanks Bruno. Just running a few numbers for The Order - 23 million euros is just over $26 million USD. Assuming it sold similarly in North America then let's say it made $50 million total sales, but Sony will only see, what, half of those profits? So if they earned $20-$30 million from The Order then there's no way they they made profit on it; especially when we factor in marketing costs as well.

I'm probably lowballing the figures here, and I don't know how much of a cut platform holders get from retail sales, but it doesn't look good for The Order. I expect its sales in Japan/Asia are extremely low too. Also not accounting for digital sales, which I guess could reasonably add another 20% to total figures, but would at the same time net Sony a higher profit margin.

The Order could have cost more to make than Heavy Rain, but for comparison this is what Quantic Dream said about the numbers after selling 2 million copies.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...-innovation-doesnt-rhyme-with-unprofitability
"These projects have been and are profitable, to some extent," he said. "I'll give you one example that I know about: Heavy Rain. Let's say it's $22 million to produce. With marketing it's maybe $30 million. With distribution, $40 million. Sony earned $100 million with the game, so it's very profitable. It's the sort of margin that most publishers would strive for, for any game."

Bruno MB

Yes, in the next GamesMarkt magazine.

Thanks for contacting GamesMarkt about the missing Bandai Namco Entertainment games.

Code:
03. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt (Bandai Namco Entertainmet) - 1.482.835  88.572.111€  59,73€
12. Dragon Ball Z: Xenoverse (Bandai Namco Entertainmet) - 412.201  26.571.214€  64,46€
13. Project Cars (Bandai Namco Entertainmet) - 415.041  25.926.577€  62,47€

Top Bottom