• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

European hardware sales for Xbox 360= ~18,000 units/week.....can this be right??

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Jun 30, 2004
9,418
24
1,690
50
Mohave Valley Arizona
BTW, I got the info from this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116810

18K/week equals ~72K Xbox 360 sold per month in EU....although I knew the situation was dire over there, this seems a bit low to me....can anyone confirm this number?


If true, I can see what motivated Microsoft to go after next gen soccer exclusive because although EU weekly sales of X360 is ~10X that of japan it is still less than 1/3rd of North America...


Worse, PS2 is selling ~100K units per week in EU:)0), which is even better than it does in NA(400K vs <300K)....so that says to me Europe is a HUGE gaming market!!
Just not for Microsoft

I always heard Europe was Sonyland, but I didn't realize to what degree that was true....until now....

PS3 will have to bomb hard in EU to be defeated by 360 there, IMO...
 

jett

D-Member
Jun 6, 2004
98,879
3
1,765
I'm not that surprised. The xbox brand isn't really strong in Europe.
 

soundwave05

Member
Sep 30, 2004
10,681
0
0
Nope those are legit.

Everyone overlooks this because the 360's failure in Japan is a lot more spectacular.

I think with enough software like Wii Karaoke, Wii Diet/Aerobics, Wii Puppies, etc. even Nintendo probably has a pretty good shot at selling more than MS in Europe. There is a large extreme-casual audience in Europe that eats up things like Sing Star, and Wii seems to be a machine built entirely around getting that type of audience.
 

Mrbob

Member
Jun 7, 2004
63,747
2
0
d00m3d?

MS is making a power play for 3rd place worldwide at the moment.

I think the Euro numbers are more concerning than the Japan numbers.
 

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Jun 30, 2004
9,418
24
1,690
50
Mohave Valley Arizona
soundwave05 said:
Nope those are legit.

Everyone overlooks this because the 360's failure in Japan is a lot more spectacular.

Where would one get monthly hardware sales # for EU.....I have always wanted to know this...


For example, how does the DS do vs. PSP in Europe?


I do remember ~6M Xboxes sold there and ~29M PS2s, but that was a while ago :/
 

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Jul 17, 2005
42,032
2
0
Mrbob said:
I think the Euro numbers are more concerning than the Japan numbers.
I agree. Didn't they only ship like 200k units there for this quarter or something?
 

Elios83

Member
Jun 30, 2004
14,573
111
1,650
Embarassing numbers, Microsoft worldwide installed base will be surpassed pretty soon at this rate.
 

sonycowboy

Member
Jun 8, 2004
12,214
4
0
New Jersey
It shouldn't be much of a surprise as I've been saying it for months. I've only got intermittant data, but it's shown the 360 in rough shape essentially since the week after launch.

I think given their earlier problems with the original Xbox, it's asking a bit much for folks to adopt a system they didn't embrace at a much lower price the first time around. The football exclusivity as well a price drop should help them quite a bit. With likely severe PS3 shortages, if not a outright delay, this holiday season will be crucial for Microsoft in this region.
 

soundwave05

Member
Sep 30, 2004
10,681
0
0
I think Sony will launch the PS3 in Europe even with extremely limited quanitities, just to put it out there in the public conciouness that the PS3 is here and to get people in Europe into the "I want a PS3, I'm just going to wait for the next shipment" type thinking.

It's easier to wait for a product that's actually been released, rather than waiting for something that hasn't launched at all.
 

Bearillusion

Banned
Jan 17, 2006
5,777
0
0
48
Pro Evo & Fifa will still be available on PS2 so while it makes a great headline for MS I don't think it will change anything.
 

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Jun 30, 2004
9,418
24
1,690
50
Mohave Valley Arizona
Mrbob said:
d00m3d?

MS is making a power play for 3rd place worldwide at the moment.

I think the Euro numbers are more concerning than the Japan numbers.

When Sony, Microsofts major competitor, sells more PS2s in Europe than North America on a weekly basis, after six years, yeah, I would say Europe is critical to Microsoft right about now...

With this in mind, I can see why X360 owns next gen footy over there....MS has no choice but to do power moves like this really...


If you ask me, the greatest strength of PlayStation is the variety of games they offer....

Although MS is doing a great job a delivering games their fans desire, they need to branch their games out into unfamiliar territory if they are serious about challanging PS3 in a critical region like Europe......but thats just me :)
 

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Jul 17, 2005
42,032
2
0
Also, didn't that same thread (or another one) mention that even GCs are selling at a better rate?
 

soundwave05

Member
Sep 30, 2004
10,681
0
0
I also think Europe doesn't go for "me too" brands ... they like the real deal, not imitations, and the XBox is seen as a "me too" Playstation over there, I think that's one reason it hasn't taken off.

In Europe if you want a BMW, you buy a BMW, not a Lexus or Infinity.
 

Elios83

Member
Jun 30, 2004
14,573
111
1,650
Bearillusion said:
Pro Evo & Fifa will still be available on PS2 so while it makes a great headline for MS I don't think it will change anything.
QFT this year everyone would play soccer on PS2 in Europe even if those games were on PS3.Most of the FIFA&PES userbase will shift on next gen consoles only when available at more affordable prices (199€ and lower).
 

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Jun 30, 2004
9,418
24
1,690
50
Mohave Valley Arizona
Bearillusion said:
Pro Evo & Fifa will still be available on PS2 so while it makes a great headline for MS I don't think it will change anything.
You know what?

I have to dissagree with you....I think having the only next gen PES and FIFA will help Xbox 360 sales in EU....it *has* to...



The real question though is; to what degree will having the only next-gen PES/FIFA help MS :/
 

Majmun

Member
Dec 15, 2005
21,323
1
0
NeoGaf
So at this rate about ~5million Ps2's and ~900k X360's are being sold a year in Europe. Minus the holiday period.

Sounds pretty legit, I guess. Especially sinds no X360 game can be found in most of the European software charts.

Pretty concerning for MS.
 

Bigfonzie

Member
Jan 13, 2005
576
0
0
33
I just dont think people are ready to buy a next gen machine yet, a bit like the Dreamcast im going to wait for PS3 and maybe the wii are out before i choose what system to get, the only problem is will this be another Dreamcast situation where the Playstaion blows the competion away? not at £425, i think the 360 still has potential in the UK atleast.
 

Majmun

Member
Dec 15, 2005
21,323
1
0
NeoGaf
Kleegamefan said:
You know what?

I have to dissagree with you....I think having the only next gen PES and FIFA will help Xbox 360 sales in EU....it *has* to...



The real question though is; to what degree will having the only next-gen PES/FIFA help MS :/
Two Fifa games were already next-gen exclusive for MS;

- Fifa '06
- Fifa World Cup

That didn't help. People will buy the Ps2 version anyway. Just like past year.
 

Odysseus

Banned
Jun 22, 2004
12,890
0
0
Greensboro, NC
Kleegamefan said:
You know what?

I have to dissagree with you....I think having the only next gen PES and FIFA will help Xbox 360 sales in EU....it *has* to...

Why? Having the only next-gen Madden for the past 9 months hasn't done jack for Microsoft in the US. And having the only next-gen Madden won't do jack for the next three months, either.
 

sonycowboy

Member
Jun 8, 2004
12,214
4
0
New Jersey
Odysseus said:
Why? Having the only next-gen Madden for the past 9 months hasn't done jack for Microsoft in the US. And having the only next-gen Madden won't do jack for the next three months, either.
That might be a bit premature, given what I'm hearing are startling sales for Madden 07 on the 360. As in, the highest first months sales EVER by a 360 title by a long shot. We'll see if that's true during next week's NPD.
 

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Jun 30, 2004
9,418
24
1,690
50
Mohave Valley Arizona
Odysseus said:
Why? Having the only next-gen Madden for the past 9 months hasn't done jack for Microsoft in the US. And having the only next-gen Madden won't do jack for the next three months, either.
Some people would swear you are wrong about this.....not than I am one of those people, mind you :)
 
Jun 16, 2004
7,348
0
0
Kleegamefan said:
You know what?

I have to dissagree with you....I think having the only next gen PES and FIFA will help Xbox 360 sales in EU....it *has* to...



The real question though is; to what degree will having the only next-gen PES/FIFA help MS :/
I'm in the camp that's thinking this football exclusivity is being overplayed. Maybe if the 360 was at a casual-friendly enticing low price then it might have a greater effect, or football games weren't regularly updated yearly like clockwork maybe but with noises already being made about how there will be PS3 versions next year I think it's going to have a much more muted effect on sales, if any at all.
 

Odysseus

Banned
Jun 22, 2004
12,890
0
0
Greensboro, NC
sonycowboy said:
That might be a bit premature, given what I'm hearing are startling sales for Madden 07 on the 360. As in, the highest first months sales EVER by a 360 title by a long shot. We'll see if that's true during next week's NPD.
Yeah, and just like every other game on 360, it will be selling to the existing base. This is a bit preliminary, but if there's a NPD prediction thread for August, my 360 number will be somewhere in the 180K range.
 

crunker99

Member
Mar 11, 2005
1,837
0
0
New York, USA
uhh remeber guys, there were not that many XBOX360 UNITS sent to Europe in the first place so in terms of % of shipped units sold it is prolly somewhere over 70%
 

Jokeropia

Member
May 15, 2006
6,556
0
0
Kleegamefan said:
For example, how does the DS do vs. PSP in Europe?
DS: ~6 million
PSP: ~4 million.

Nintendo announced shortly after the DS Lite released that they're selling around 140,000/week.
 

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Jun 30, 2004
9,418
24
1,690
50
Mohave Valley Arizona
sonycowboy said:
That might be a bit premature, given what I'm hearing are startling sales for Madden 07 on the 360. As in, the highest first months sales EVER by a 360 title by a long shot. We'll see if that's true during next week's NPD.

Hmm...so that would mean it would have to be better than GRAW or DR, both of which sold~500K their first month, amirite?


#1 by a longshot, huh.....could this be the first ever X360 game to sell >1,000,000 copies its first month on sale?
 

soundwave05

Member
Sep 30, 2004
10,681
0
0
crunker99 said:
uhh remeber guys, there were not that many XBOX360 UNITS sent to Europe in the first place so in terms of % of shipped units sold it is prolly somewhere over 70%
Those sales numbers are for this past summer though ... not from the launch period when supply was constrained.

People also need to relaize the XBox was *not even close* to the PS2 in Europe. It's not nearly as popular of a brand in Europe as it is in North America. I think too many people just automatically lump Europe in with North America. XBox and Halo are not nearly as popular in the Euro markets.
 

Mrbob

Member
Jun 7, 2004
63,747
2
0
Yeah I think Xbox 360 has a chance to really take off in the USA, and you are starting to see some seeds being planted. It would be a shame if Europe missed the boat and didn't join the party. I blame PRINE for not getting the word out. Do your job!
 

soundwave05

Member
Sep 30, 2004
10,681
0
0
Kleegamefan said:
Hmm...so that would mean it would have to be better than GRAW or DR, both of which sold~500K their first month, amirite?


#1 by a longshot, huh.....could this be the first ever X360 game to sell >1,000,000 copies its first month on sale?
Madden is a much bigger franchise than Ghost Recon or Dead Rising ... why shouldn't it have much larger first month sales? The Madden NFL games have always sold well on the XBox.
 
Jun 16, 2004
7,348
0
0
soundwave05 said:
Those sales numbers are for this past summer though ... not from the launch period when supply was constrained.

People also need to relaize the XBox was *not even close* to the PS2 in Europe. It's not nearly as popular of a brand in Europe as it is in North America. I think too many people just automatically lump Europe in with North America. XBox and Halo are not nearly as popular in the Euro markets.
^^^^ Bingo.

Whilst there is far more correlation between the US and European markets, in regards to demographics, popular brands etc. than the US and Japan, they aren't completely similar.

While I believe in the US the PS2 to Xbox ratio was somwhere around 2:1, in Europe it was over 4:1 close to 5:1.
 

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Jun 30, 2004
9,418
24
1,690
50
Mohave Valley Arizona
crunker99 said:
uhh remeber guys, there were not that many XBOX360 UNITS sent to Europe in the first place so in terms of % of shipped units sold it is prolly somewhere over 70%

Well 70% of 100,000 is 70,000.....are you saying MS shipped ~100K X360s to all of EU all of last month?

If true, thats not very smart when you have next-gen soccer exclusivity already, plenty of available stock from NA and JAP that you could redirect to EU....not to mention the Piano Black 5kg Gorilla is on the way :D
 

Piper Az

Member
Dec 4, 2004
2,673
0
0
Kleegamefan said:
PS3 will have to bomb hard in EU to be defeated by 360 there, IMO...
It's possible. Sales of next-gen systems could be completely separate from the last-gen systems (e.g. PS2).

Kleegamefan said:
not to mention the Piano Black 5kg Gorilla is on the way
Do you mean that upgradesta, i mean, downgradestation? 360 has a chance to compete against the playstation brand - even in Europe. Soccer and price: chance.
 

Odysseus

Banned
Jun 22, 2004
12,890
0
0
Greensboro, NC
Mrbob said:
Yeah I think Xbox 360 has a chance to really take off in the USA, and you are starting to see some seeds being planted.
I don't see Xbox 360 taking off until PS3 and Wii are on the market. Sony is the market leader, and until Sony gamers have a chance to see the PS3 for themselves, they are not going to consider switching over. Just my opinion. Nevermind the former Xbox 1 owners that still need to be convinced. Don't get me wrong, I like 360's chances to do much better this generation than last, but there won't be evidence of that fact until next year at the earliest.
 

sonycowboy

Member
Jun 8, 2004
12,214
4
0
New Jersey
Kleegamefan said:
Hmm...so that would mean it would have to be better than GRAW or DR, both of which sold~500K their first month, amirite?


#1 by a longshot, huh.....could this be the first ever X360 game to sell >1,000,000 copies its first month on sale?

Dead Rising doesn't have an official number yet, but I'd probably put it at ~300k or so (give or take) for August. GRAW sold 468k. Madden will have 2 skus.
 

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Jun 30, 2004
9,418
24
1,690
50
Mohave Valley Arizona
soundwave05 said:
Madden is a much bigger franchise than Ghost Recon or Dead Rising ... why shouldn't it have much larger first month sales? The Madden NFL games have always sold well on the XBox.


I am not disagreeing with you at all...in fact, I am on the same page as you...I'm just trying to decrypt SCBs hints :D
 

soundwave05

Member
Sep 30, 2004
10,681
0
0
Piper Az said:
It's possible. Sales of next-gen systems could be completely separate from the last-gen systems (e.g. PS2).
It's possible, but very, very, very doubtful.

The PS3 "price shock" isn't even as big of a deal in Europe, since the PS2 also launched at an inflated price in Europe (I believe it was like $450 US equivalent or something).

I think the Nintendo Wii may be the system that makes waves in Europe, not the 360, because there is a large portion of the audience in Europe that does like multiplayer/social/
party type games. The 360 is really not much different from the first XBox.
 

GhaleonEB

Member
Jun 7, 2004
77,909
2
1,490
Oregon
sonycowboy said:
Dead Rising doesn't have an official number yet, but I'd probably put it at ~300k or so (give or take) for August. GRAW sold 468k. Madden will have 2 skus.
Is your tag going to change daily now? :lol
 

hadareud

The Translator
Oct 18, 2004
22,703
1
1,465
England
Those numbers are poor, but I have to disagree that the xbox brand is "not strong at all" in Europe. Depends what European countries we're talking about. UK is strong for instance.

We also have to factor in the price factor - 400 euros is alot for a console. But maybe Sony can convince me otherwise next summer, but it's going to be a hard sell at 600 euros.
 

Mrbob

Member
Jun 7, 2004
63,747
2
0
Odysseus said:
I don't see Xbox 360 taking off until PS3 and Wii are on the market. Sony is the market leader, and until Sony gamers have a chance to see the PS3 for themselves, they are not going to consider switching over. Just my opinion. Nevermind the former Xbox 1 owners that still need to be convinced. Don't get me wrong, I like 360's chances to do much better this generation than last, but there won't be evidence of that fact until next year at the earliest.
Oh yeah I agree with this. Looking at software sales, the potential is there for the 360 to take off as perhaps the number one platform in the USA. Doesn't mean it'll happen, but it has the potential to do so. Whereas I don't get the same feeling from Europe or Japan.
 

jett

D-Member
Jun 6, 2004
98,879
3
1,765
Die Squirrel Die said:
^^^^ Bingo.

Whilst there is far more correlation between the US and European markets, in regards to demographics, popular brands etc. than the US and Japan, they aren't completely similar.

While I believe in the US the PS2 to Xbox ratio was somwhere around 2:1, in Europe it was over 4:1 close to 5:1.
Try 7:1 :p
 

Bearillusion

Banned
Jan 17, 2006
5,777
0
0
48
Kleegamefan said:
I think having the only next gen PES and FIFA will help Xbox 360 sales in EU.....
Not saying it won't help but the degree to which it does will be negligible.
 

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Jun 30, 2004
9,418
24
1,690
50
Mohave Valley Arizona
soundwave05 said:
It's possible, but very, very, very doubtful.

The PS3 "price shock" isn't even as big of a deal in Europe, since the PS2 also launched at an inflated price in Europe (I believe it was like $450 US equivalent or something).

I think the Nintendo Wii may be the system that makes waves in Europe, not the 360, because there is a large portion of the audience in Europe that does like multiplayer/social/
party type games.
QFT


I also don't think EU will have a problem snapping up lots of PS3s....they love Sony consoles and the new price is not so much of a sticker shock to them...


The reason you are hearing so much bitching over PS3 price is we are finally paying EU-type prices :lol