• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European hardware sales for Xbox 360= ~18,000 units/week.....can this be right??

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
well Europe will have to look for the 360 for their future in football in 2007.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Mrbob said:
Oh yeah I agree with this. Looking at software sales, the potential is there for the 360 to take off as perhaps the number one platform in the USA. Doesn't mean it'll happen, but it has the potential to do so. Whereas I don't get the same feeling from Europe or Japan.

Me too...X360 has a good chance at doing really, really well in NA, while EU and JAP leadership just seems like a pipedream at this point, though that could change?

The biggest thing though is: I dont see how Xbox 360 has a great chance at OVERALL market leadership next gen.....they cannot do it *without* JAP and EU, thats for damn sure...

Striek

1/3 NA? Seems about in line with the original Xbox if you ask me.

I *really* doubt that PS3 will replicate PS2 success anyway, price being the biggest factor. Europe is far more price sensitive than say the USA or Japan.

hadareud said:
Those numbers are poor, but I have to disagree that the xbox brand is "not strong at all" in Europe. Depends what European countries we're talking about. UK is strong for instance.
Only in the sense its stronger than the rest of Europe, it not like its replicating NA success or anything.

Thing is, even if the 360 does *great* in North America, like selling 20 million here, they may run into a lot of trouble getting far past 30 million total install base, even if they improve a bit in Europe (say from 6 million to 8-9 million).

They have to do *a lot* better in Europe than this.

TheDuce22

Banned
:lol @ this thread. Thats the most half assed attempt at stealth trolling ive ever seen.
"HUH! This cant be right can it!?!?! Its ohh so low. I dont understand... Can someone please confirm or deny because these numbers are impossibly low!!" :lol

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Striek said:
1/3 NA? Seems about in line with the original Xbox if you ask me.

I *really* doubt that PS3 will replicate PS2 success anyway, price being the biggest factor. Europe is far more price sensitive than say the USA or Japan.

Taking the current numbers into consideration, PS3 doesn't need to replicate PS2 sales to still steamroll X360....

Majmun

Piper Az said:
Do you mean that upgradesta, i mean, downgradestation? 360 has a chance to compete against the playstation brand - even in Europe. Soccer and price: chance.

It's not like the soccer exclusivity will remain forever.

The "downgradestation" seriously shouldn't be underrated. Playstation brand is huge here.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
TheDuce22 said:
:lol @ this thread. Thats the most half assed attempt at stealth trolling ive ever seen.
"HUH! This cant be right can it!?!?! Its ohh so low. I dont understand... Can someone please confirm or deny because these numbers are impossibly low!!" :lol

WTF are you talking about?

If you have something to say to me, then say it!

Again, EU hardware numbers are hard to come by PERIOD, which is why you don't see any links in this thread that direct you to official numbers....not to mention the fact 72K sold X4 is A WHOLE LOT less than what MS said they said they shipped last quarter....

Furthermore, I also dont see you giving any information concerning actual numbers either...

But don't let any of that stop you.....please proceed...

Striek said:

But the price of the PS3 at launch is pretty much in line with the PS2 at launch.

Majmun

Dante said:
Seems like the US is really the only territory MS has an outside shot at being the market leader.

You have actually to be succesful in all territories to take the #1 spot.

Japan already ruined that for MS.

I guess there's still a chance. But the Ps3 must like realy tank to make that happen.

LevelNth

Banned
soundwave05 said:
The PS3 "price shock" isn't even as big of a deal in Europe, since the PS2 also launched at an inflated price in Europe (I believe it was like $450 US equivalent or something).
Pretty much. The system launched in most Euro countries between €399 and €499 (compared to €499 and €599 for the PS3), and in the UK it launched at £299 (compared to ~£340-£350 and ~£405-£425 for the PS3). Combination of a weaker USD and higher PS2 prices. Far from the $200-$300 increases American's face.

Piper Az

Second said:
It's not like the soccer exclusivity will remain forever.

The "downgradestation" seriously shouldn't be underrated. Playstation brand is huge here.

True. The Playstation brand in Europe is something that cannot be taken lightly.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
TheDuce22 said:

Duce meltdown FTW!

<nu>faust

TheDuce22 said:

yeah, like we all forgot how klee started calling 360 a bomba in europe as early as february.

jett said:
Ah well I got my numbers mixed up, but i knew it was way better than 4:1.

6-1 was the best it got. Forever, it was far, far higher until the Xbox started selling better in late 2003/2004.

It will probably end this gen at over 8-1.

EDIT: Oh, I see you thought my "best" would be Xbox's "worst". :lol

Globally, I think Wii is actually probably a bigger threat to the PS3 than the 360 is, but even then, I don't think Sony is as concerned with the Wii because it's such a different type of a platform that it doesn't neccessarily replace what the PS3 can do.

Majmun

soundwave05 said:
Globally, I think Wii is actually probably a bigger threat to the PS3 than the 360 is, but even then, I don't think Sony is as concerned with the Wii because it's such a different type of a platform that it doesn't neccessarily replace what the PS3 can do.

I think Wii is more of a threat in the Japanese territory. But the Ps3 will do pretty well too. Considering Playstation has the biggest Japanese console franshises...

jett

D-Member
sonycowboy said:
6-1 was the best it got. Forever, it was far, far higher until the Xbox started selling better in late 2003/2004.

It will probably end this gen at over 8-1.

EDIT: Oh, I see you thought my "best" would be Xbox's "worst". :lol

:lol

Piper Az

TheDuce22 said:

there are definitely some people who get giddy at the thought of 360 tanking, even if it's bad for videogamers overall.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
soundwave05 said:

There will definitely be overlap, imo. Especially in Japan. How much is the only question.

But yeah, looking at these numbers, I definitely think Wii is a bigger threat than 360.

Odysseus

Banned
LM4sure said:
Woah! Did not expect the 360 to be doing this poorly. So you're telling me Nintendo has a chance...?

dumb144.jpeg

Oblivion

Odysseus said:
If Wii is a bigger threat globally than 360, I think Sony has nothing to worry about.

Yeah, course that's assuming you expect PS3 to sell the same as PS2...

Piper Az said:
there are definitely some people who get giddy at the thought of 360 tanking, even if it's bad for videogamers overall.

Yeah. Fortunately, there's nobody out there that are giddy over PS3 problems or DS stomping over the PSP.

Perhaps you guys might have some actual comment about European 360 sales or what it might mean for the industry as opposed to crying fanboy? It is a pretty important topic and worthy of some discussion, IMO.

Kangu

Banned
Awesome! It's starting to look like everybody's doomed next gen. And when everybody's doomed Neogaf wins, because we get an influx of retarded threads that have nothing to do with videogames. That and DS sales charts. Never forget the DS sales charts. Plus complementary "I know how to make graphs in Excel so let me make a thread about that", Sony is Blue, Nintendo is red and Xbox is neon green!

Odysseus

Banned
Oblivion said:
Yeah, course that's assuming you expect PS3 to sell the same as PS2...

Well, it could, but more like I expect Wii to be at or below GameCube levels everywhere with the possible exception of Japan. I think we'll know by April whether or not it will be a hit or miss.

Odysseus said:
If Wii is a bigger threat globally than 360, I think Sony has nothing to worry about.

Probably not. Even if they take a substantial hit this generation, Sony should still be able to sell 70-80 million systems, which will be a lot more than MS or Nintendo will likely muster.

They do have to be very careful with the price in North America. They should have at least a $50 price drop by spring 2007 here IMO.

I think a lot of people in this thread are underestemating the cost factor as well as the reduced adoption of HDTV's in Europe as compared to NA. To assume that Sony is going to take Europe by storm under these factors at a higher price point then MS's is overestimating their position, imo.

While MS certainly has had it's problems in Europe and some of those problems, including lack of software, are contributing factors to less the stellar sales, I think as a general rule the number of consoles sold per year will be quite less then it was for the last generation and Sony isn't immune. The only X factor is the wii, if it gets the right bunch of software for the hardcore and new adopters alike they should do better then the competition thanks to the lower price point.

Second said:
I think Wii is more of a threat in the Japanese territory. But the Ps3 will do pretty well too. Considering Playstation has the biggest Japanese console franshises...

I think the Wii is a much more complicated situation to read because there are just so many unknowns to it.

I do think the global success of the DS (and especially the Lite) is creating a positive impression of the Nintendo brand. However I'm not sure that it's that easy to assume that the Wii will have the same pull with the DS crowd, just by virtue of having non-conventional control inputs.

Also will downgraded graphics compared to the competition be more of an issue when people are playing on their full sized TVs at home, compared to sitting on the train looking at a small screen? Will the price seem like a bargain, or just the bargain bin?

And that's just some of the big unknowns, that I can think of right now. Luckily I don't have to answer those, that's Nintendo's job. I just sit back and watch the answers unfold.

Odysseus said:
Well, it could, but more like I expect Wii to be at or below GameCube levels everywhere with the possible exception of Japan. I think we'll know by April whether or not it will be a hit or miss.

I think Wii will do well in Japan, much better than the N64 or GC, but I don't think it's neccessarily a lock to be as successful as the DS there.

The DS is just on a different stratosphere in terms of success there, it would be difficult for the Wii to replicate that. I do think the Wii, if priced properly, could do much better out of the gates in NA and Europe than the DS did initially though.

The keys for Nintendo right now are to price the system in a "impulse buy" range and to have more "non-gamer" content like Wii Aerobics. If they can do those two things, I don't think there's a whole lot Sony or MS can do to stop the Wii from gathering a large userbase (which is what Nintendo wanted from the get go I think ... an elephant can't do much against a bee).

This probably has a lot to do with 360 games being even more expensive than current gen games which are already overpriced to all hell in Europe. Most of the 360 games work out at around $90 US.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Infernal Monkey said:
This probably has a lot to do with 360 games being even more expensive than current gen games which are already overpriced to all hell in Europe. Some of the 360 games work out at around $90 US.

How much are full priced current-gen games in EU?

Oblivion

Odysseus said:

The chances of PS3 coming even close to PS2 numbers is far less likely than Wii doing worse than the GC imo. But yeah, April it is.

TheDuce22

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Yeah. Fortunately, there's nobody out there that are giddy over PS3 problems or DS stomping over the PSP.

Perhaps you guys might have some actual comment about European 360 sales or what it might mean for the industry as opposed to crying fanboy? It is a pretty important topic and worthy of some discussion, IMO.

I just saw the original post and thought it was pretty damn funny. A guy who has been blatantly trolling 360 since the begining (xbux 360, euro bomba, ect), one who knows more about sales data than 99% of the posters here, pulls these numbers out of another thread and creates this one under the guise of confusion and concern. I realize people play games like that all the time on message boards but he did such a horrible job at it. :lol

Odysseus

Banned
soundwave05 said:
The keys for Nintendo right now are to price the system in a "impulse buy" range and to have more "non-gamer" content like Wii Aerobics.

"Impulse buy" range for "non-gamers" is something like 20 bucks. Tell a truly lapsed gamer he can pay 20 dollars for an old school Nintendo controller with a dozen games built into it, and he might just buy it. Tell him he can pay $200 to be able to pay to download those old games, and he'll shrug it off. I don't foresee Nintendo's new crop of non-games doing much for them, either. Sure, they'll sell, but they'll be selling to the same people that always buy Nintendo games.

Majmun

Die Squirrel Die said:
I think the Wii is a much more complicated situation to read because there are just so many unknowns to it.

I do think the global success of the DS (and especially the Lite) is creating a positive impression of the Nintendo brand. However I'm not sure that it's that easy to assume that the Wii will have the same pull with the DS crowd, just by virtue of having non-conventional control inputs.

Also will downgraded graphics compared to the competition be more of an issue when people are playing on their full sized TVs at home, compared to sitting on the train looking at a small screen? Will the price seem like a bargain, or just the bargain bin?

And that's just some of the big unknowns, that I can think of right now. Luckily I don't have to answer those, that's Nintendo's job. I just sit back and watch the answers unfold.

I have to agree with you.

But the GBA is also very succesful. Ps2-level succesful. But did the GBA help the Cube?

Not really...

I really don't think that the DS is an indication of Wii future succes. Handheld market and console market are quite different. Some games work on a format, and some don't.

As you can see Nintendo games are the big hits on the DS. Nintendo games were always pretty big on a Nintendo handheld. But Nintendo games on a console are declining in popularity and sales.

IMO stuff like Wii Aerobics and Wii Karaoke (if in development) is what will make or break the Wii, not Zelda: TP or Super Mario Galaxy.

Zelda: TP will sell a lot, but it is to the Wii what Super Mario 64 DS was the DS I think.

The problem with the GameCube is Nintendo talked about new types of games ... but never actually did anything. On the DS whether you like Nintendogs or Brain Training ... you have to admit, they have brought the software (and the sales numbers) to back up their talk. If they do the same with the Wii and its cheap to purchase ... there is a good chance it will catch fire.

Mrbob

I think it is pretty much a no brainer by now that the PS3 is going to outsell the 360 on a worldwide basis, but whatever. PS2 outsold Xbox by over 5 to 1 worldwide and Xbox is still my most played system. X360 gets outsold by PS3 3 to 1, big whoop. Games are multiplatform anyway so publishers know money is to be made on 360, so you are getting the games regardless of what place the X360 finishes. IF PS3 ends up proving its worth over the 360 in the next year or two, I'll have no qualms making the switch over. Instead of crying about the price on a message board, I'll be enjoying the system. Never get caught up in GAF console politics, as it is bad for your health.

Top Bottom