• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

european repair company halts repairs of 360s. says problem is endemic

[Nintex]

OniShiro said:
The problem is even if microsoft does a recall they have no clue how to fix the problem as they've proved, it's a design flaw in the console, and the only solution build be to redesign the motherboard, heatsinks and overall cooling of the console, and that is a lot of money.
X-clamp fix and some other simple solutions have shown that's its easy to fix the console.

ShutEye said:
I have a question:

Is Micromart under a service contract to Microsoft aka a 3rd party working under the supervision of Microsoft or are they simply offering their services to end users separate from any Microsoft arrangement?

This.

ShutEye said:
I have a question:

Is Micromart under a service contract to Microsoft aka a 3rd party working under the supervision of Microsoft or are they simply offering their services to end users separate from any Microsoft arrangement?

good question. i bet they are not affiliated with msft in any way.

Luckyman said:
:lol :lol

Major needs to spin this shit.

"Buy an Elite! It's such a great value because I got suckered into buying a 120GB hard drive for $180 once!"

Seriously, that's what he said on one of his podcasts... well, without the "suckered" part, but he got ripped off bad just to make the Elite look good.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
The second MS admits there is a design flaw, there will be lawsuits. Until then, someone would have to demonstrate that MS had prior knowledge of said flaw before releasing the system to market. IIRC, it took years for people to get a settlement from Sony for Playstation 1 and even then it was pennies in comparison to the profits. I think it is safe to assume the design is flawed. However, we will never hear from MS that a problem was fixed.

Jim

WickedLaharl said:
good question. i bet they are not affilated with msft in any way.

They aren't going to just fix consoles that I would assume are still under warrantee, for free. It has to be underwritten by someone.

Unless all these people are paying to have their consoles repaired, which seems unlikely.

Firewire

Banned
soco said:
are you sure about that? the address they list isn't what i seem to recall the other stuff being. (i'm not familiar with areas in the UK, so maybe it's pretty much hte same).

Yeah, its the same company!

RobertM

OniShiro said:
The problem is even if microsoft does a recall they have no clue how to fix the problem as they've proved, it's a design flaw in the console, and the only solution build be to redesign the motherboard, heatsinks and overall cooling of the console, and that is a lot of money.
Here, I'll give them a hint: X mother****ing CLAMP. Provide better thermal paste, remove or redesign the duct, add motherboard supports across each section, and it shouldn't cost too much.

Luckyman

Banned
neptunes said:
I think a recall is bound to happen soon, this press just can't on any longer.

If they aren't careful it may affect their marketshare.

Recall for 10M boxes? :lol

Even MS can't take a hit like that.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
DenogginizerOS said:
The second MS admits there is a design flaw, there will be lawsuits. Until then, someone would have to demonstrate that MS had prior knowledge of said flaw before releasing the system to market. IIRC, it took years for people to get a settlement from Sony for Playstation 1 and even then it was pennies in comparison to the profits. I think it is safe to assume the design is flawed. However, we will never hear from MS that a problem was fixed.

Anyone who has opened the box will be able to point out at least one flaw in the Xclamp system. At least that's what I've read.

Firewire

Banned
Milhouse31 said:
I won't use my xbox 360 until GTA4 hit. It's a launch model (nov 2005) and it will probably gonna die.

thats really sad, people don't even want to use them in fear of failure!

[Nintex]

Most of these companies offer repairs for both customers, retailers and large companies like Microsoft so they don't have to set up a repair center. Most of the time a Microsoft/Sony/Samsung etc. "repair center" is basicly a call center, forwarding broken consoles/systems to companies like Micromart.

DenogginizerOS

Branduil said:
If MS doesn't fix the design by the time Halo 3 hits they could be asking for a major PR disaster.

I agree. I have been saying this to friends and they are pretty much in agreement that once Halo 3 hits, there are going to be numerous stories of dead consoles. Unless MS decides to completely fix this problem before Halo 3, it is inevitable that the spike in X360 play brought on by Halo 3 will produce a proprtionate spike in complaints.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jim said:
Unless all these people are paying to have their consoles repaired, which seems unlikely.

I would say it's a pay-for service.

Anyway, that's just really bad. I feel like I should play my 360 an awful lot in the next while just to see if it's going to break or not, so I can return it within the year if it does.

rs7k

This is a serious blow. One of Microsoft's repair contractors essentially admitting Microsoft has been lying about the problem.

Expect lawsuit NOW.

Edit: I just want to make sure they are an official contractor before my above statement is valid. Can anyone confirm?

Firewire said:
thats really sad, people don't even want to use them in fear of failure!

So what are people doing with all the software they're buying?

I wouldn't get too sad, Firewire. That doesn't seem to be a condition endemic to the userbase.

Dizzy

Banned
justjohn said:
i can definetely see the EU getting on this. they hate MS guts and wouldnt miss this chance to pounce
I pray that they do. I like my game collection for 360, but I just don't want to put up with or support such a shoddy console anymore. If someone doesn't step in then I fear that it may never get sorted out.

Gowans

OK hold on wait,
Guys who the hell are Micomart? there based about 30mins from me and I have never heard of them plus this site looks a bit amatuerish.

This could be some dude working from a shack as far as we know.

ps Im on my 3rd 360 :)

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
DenogginizerOS said:
I agree. I have been saying this to friends and they are pretty much in agreement that once Halo 3 hits, there are going to be numerous stories of dead consoles. Unless MS decides to completely fix this problem before Halo 3, it is ineveitable that the spike in X360 play brought on by Halo 3 will produce a proprtionate spike in complaints.

Customer "I was playing Halo 3 and my console quit working"
Rep "Let me get your information"
Customer "Ok"
Rep "It will be a few weeks, we ran out of boxes this morning"
Customer "What!?"

[Nintex]

DenogginizerOS said:
I agree. I have been saying this to friends and thye are pretty much in agreement that once Halo 3 hits, there are going to be numerous stories of dead consoles. Unless MS decides to completely fix this problem before Halo 3, it is ineveitable that the spike in X360 play brought on by Halo 3 will produce a proprtionate spike in complaints.
MS still tries to sell their December 2006 faulty TSST drive consoles with bundles and limited edtions. These are produced for GOW bundles and those quickly dissapeared from the stores. Lately they have resurfaced with Forza 2 bundles. MFR dates all in December 2006.

A consumer TV show called "Kassa" investigated the problems with the scratched disc. Microsoft refused to comment and refused to admit the problem was there untill they tested a total of 9 consoles for 3 days with brand new games. MS asked to send one of the used 360's for examination in the US. The show can be easily found on Youtube or Gametrailers just search voor Kassa 360.

rs7k said:
This is a serious blow. One of Microsoft's repair contractors essentially admitting Microsoft has been lying about the problem.

Expect lawsuit NOW.

Edit: I just want to make sure they are an official contractor before my above statement is valid. Can anyone confirm?

Their site definitely looks professional, and most official contractors have Internet Ad Sale Sites on their link pages. But someone ought to look into it further if they need any more confirmation than that.

Core407 said:
MS is just handing Sony the victory.

No. But what is does show is that for all the criticism Sony took in delaying PS3, they obviously knew what they were doing when it came to quality assurance testing before release. Sony is, after all, a hardware company first and foremost.

How on earth has MS avoided being slapped with a class action lawsuit in the United States? (I realise this is regarding Britain, but it simply shows the volume of problems.)

GhaleonEB

Dragona Akehi said:
How on earth has MS avoided being slapped with a class action lawsuit in the United States? (I realise this is regarding Britain, but it simply shows the volume of problems.)
I thought they already had, about a year ago. Not sure what happened to it.

Dean what's-his-name was right when he told the designer of the 360 that hardware failures are Microsoft's single biggest problem right now, and the one they need to fix immidiately.

rage1973

Horrible failure rate and failure to cut price is really killing 360 sales. If it wasn't for the great lineup, they would be in real trouble.

Firewire

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Maybe the story about MS UK receiving 1500-2500 broken 360s every day is more realistic than we thought!

It the same company! It wasn't MS, this Micromart is the company we heard about yesterday that was getting 1500-2500 360's a day!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Dragona Akehi said:

It certainly seems like they would have a claim..maybe everyone is too terrified by Microsoft's uber lawyers.

[Nintex]

rage1973 said:
Horrible failure rate and failure to cut price is really killing 360 sales. If it wasn't for the great lineup, they would be in real trouble.
This is probably what is keeping them from cutting the price(apart from Sony and Nintendo following with Price cuts as well...). These repairs won't be cheap, and if that 1500 number is true, MS should blast those Xbox's into space instead of wasting any more money repairing them since their basicly timebomb's.

Suikoguy said:
Customer "I was playing Halo 3 and my console quit working"
Rep "Let me get your information"
Customer "Ok"
Rep "It will be a few weeks, we ran out of boxes this morning"
Customer "What!?"

:lol :lol :lol

GhaleonEB

[Nintex] said:
This is probably what is keeping them from cutting the price(apart from Sony and Nintendo following with Price cuts as well...). These repairs won't be cheap, and if that 1500 number is true, MS should blast those Xbox's into space instead of wasting any more money repairing them since their basicly timebomb's.
In MS's last financial filing, they cited increased 360 warranty and repair expenses as one of the drivers for losses in the H&E division.

Firewire

Banned
Milhouse31 said:
Don't be sad about for me. I only have one game (Gear of wars). I bought it last November and i still haven't finished it.

Dud I'm not! I just read so many people say that in the 360 threads! You should play it till it dies, don't be afraid of it dieing, just make sure your warranty is up to date, and get the extended warranty.

Slavik81

DarienA said:
Uh that's a bit of a leap.
Yeah. Sony handed Microsoft the victory first. It's not like Microsoft can just hand it back to them.

If there is a recall, the PS3 will definitely grab a solid chunk of sales. But they aren't the only other console on the market...

Mirimar

http://www.micromartltd.co.uk/Customer_Information.html

XBOX 360 - The dreaded 3 Red Lights fault is no longer being supported by Micromart.

It is recommended that the following fault conditions be returned to Microsoft:-

i. 3 Red Lights - this can be at switch on, or even after several hours of gameplay.

ii. Screen Display Freezing

The 360 Helpline number for Microsoft is:- 0800-587-1102

To gain access to the Micromart (NE) Ltd. repair service, a customer with a faulty console can use 1 of 4 options:-

1 - Call 01670-505181 to request information on their local agent, and drop off their console for a FREE estimate.

There will be the opportunity to accept or decline the repair estimate.

2 - Email info@micromartltd.co.uk to request information on a local agent (as above)

3 - Send their console to Micromart (NE) Ltd. for repair.

This will incur an additional cost of Postal charges.

4 - Micromart (NE) Ltd. accept direct delivery/collection from customers at the Repair facility in Morpeth.

DenogginizerOS

rage1973 said:

I find it increasingly more frustrating as more stories emerge that the majority of multiplatform developers have positioned their games' development around the X360. I have had some great gaming moments with my X360 and I look forward to Halo 3 and playing more Forza 2. But I will absolutely refuse to buy another X360 if my current system dies. The PS3 versions of games may not look as good as they do on X360 for some releases in the future, but at least I won't feel like I am accelerating the inevitible by playing multiplatform games on my X360. If I have to mothball my X360 until September 25th, then I will do just that.

**** which side of the 'console war' you are on, this is just plain shit. No company such be able to make a product with this kind of failure issues. MS has gained alot this gen so far, all because of their customers whom they seen to have no problem ****ing over. If people can class action sue Apple over battery life.....

Razoric

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
I find it increasingly more frustrating as more stories emerge that the majority of multiplatform developers have positioned their games' development around the X360. I have had some great gaming moments with my X360 and I look forward to Halo 3 and playing more Forza 2. But I will absolutely refuse to buy another X360 if my current system dies. The PS3 versions of games may not look as good as they do on X360 for some releases in the future, but at least I won't feel like I am accelerating the inevitible by playing multiplatform games on my X360. If I have to mothball my X360 until September 25th, then I will do just that.

I pretty much feel the same way. I'm on my third 360, there will not be a fourth. (my 3rd 360 which i got last month is already increasingly getting more and more disc read errors and freezes which means this one will die in the next 3-4 months im sure).

Top Bottom