• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European retailers praise PS3 supply chain, Demand is getting 'crazy'

E-phonk

Banned
Tieno said:
edit: to put this number into perspective: PS2 had 5.000:)lol), Xbox 360 had 15.000 and the Wii had 10.000.
I'm trying to find the source for these numbers, do you happen to have them?

Btw: I found (also unsourced) that the benelux only has 60.000 xbox 360 consoles sold till now?!

50.000 sounds high in perspective (and 44.000 firstday sellthrough).

Tieno

E-phonk said:
I'm trying to find the source for these numbers, do you happen to have them?

Btw: I found (also unsourced) that the benelux only has 60.000 xbox 360 consoles sold till now?!

50.000 sounds high in perspective (and 44.000 firstday sellthrough).
I found it in the comments section (which in turn refers to an earlier news post), http://games.telenet.be/index.php?act=one&nid=26140 , nr26

"Sony deed deze uitspraak bij een presentatie van de console in een Nederlandse winkel. Als je het vergelijkt met andere consoles, is dit best een groot aantal. Zo moest de PS2 het destijds met 5.000 exemplaren doen, de Xbox 360 met 15.000 en de Wii met 10.000. Grote aantallen beschikbare console's bij een launch, dat kunnen wij alleen maar toejuichen!"

Tieno said:
Ok, I got some numbers for BeNeLux (Belgium, Netherlands and Luxemburg).

Apparantly we'll (BeNeLux) get 50.000 ps3's on launch day, 44.000 of those have been pre-ordered already.

Source: http://tweakers.net/nieuws/46728/Slechts-50.000-PS3s-beschikbaar-in-Benelux.html

edit: to put this number into perspective: PS2 had 5.000:)lol), Xbox 360 had 15.000 and the Wii had 10.000.

Haunted

woah, wait. just wait a second there. When did morph become a joke character like drinky and drohne?? Did I miss something? Damn!

Well, anecdotal evidence FTL and all, but I do not know a single person who'll get a PS3 a launch around here. Multiplatform guys don't want one, and even the Sony faithful, those who only got a PS2 the last time around, started playing on the PS1 and all that jazz - not interested at launch.
€€€

Must be my poor neighbourhood. /morph

D-X

Hilarious thread. I think I should touch on a few key points:

Europe = more than the UK

The whole British men with bad teeth is a myth (seemingly perpetuated by Americans) - that's not to say there aren't ANY British men with bad teeth.

People from oop north generally haven't worked down't pit for a few decades - that's not to say there aren't ANY northerners who work down't pit.

All Londoner's aren't arseholes - that's not to sat there aren't a LOT of arseholes in London.

On average people in the UK are getting fatter however the epidemic isn't at the American level yet (but they're getting there).

On topic

Every store I've been to GAME, HMV do seem to be begging in their adverts even now so close to the launch.

D-X said:
Hilarious thread. I think I should touch on a few key points:

Europe = more than the UK

The whole British men with bad teeth is a myth (seemingly perpetuated by Americans) - that's not to say there aren't ANY British men with bad teeth.

People from oop north generally haven't worked down't pit for a few decades - that's not to say there aren't ANY northerners who work down't pit.

All Londoner's aren't arseholes - that's not to sat there aren't a LOT of arseholes in London.

On average people in the UK are getting fatter however the epidemic isn't at the American level yet (but they're getting there).

On topic

Every store I've been to GAME, HMV do seem to be begging in their adverts even now so close to the launch.

Finally someone who talks sense on this thread.:D

Dazzyman

Their havent been any pits here up north since Maggie shut em all down with Monty Mole and Scargill :D

You can walk into any high street shop still and preorder a PS3 for release day, you couldnt do that this close for PS2,Wii,Xbox360 so sorry it is just spin. Local stores around me say their will be plenty to go on the shelfs as their having hard difficulty shifting units due to the high prices (and their has been a minority cancelled since the back compatibilty story came out).

Myself I aint daft I bought a JPN one for much cheaper back erm months ago seems like years as its so long ;)

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Draft said:
pimpsmack.gif
what ****ing game is that? :lol
I'll buy it right now just to do that over and over and over.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/gadgets_and_gaming/article1510657.ece

PS3 thrills don't come cheap

At last the PlayStation 3 is here, but is Sony’s latest worth a hefty £425? Nigel Kendall decides

On Friday, Sony declares war on the video game market with the launch of its new PlayStation 3. It should be the most exciting technology event of the year. Instead, it’s in danger of falling flat. So what went wrong?

In a word: Wii.
The PS3 was originally scheduled to arrive here last November, but manufacturing difficulties led to the launch being postponed. This has allowed its arch-rival Nintendo to steal a march with the Wii console, which has been a sensation since it launched in November. The Wii, priced at £179, has put the fun back into gaming (if you can find one in stock — try www.wii-consoles.co.uk) and converted people who would never previously have considered owning a console.

*rest at link*

At the console’s launch in Tokyo last year, Phil Harrison, President of Sony Computer Entertainment’s worldwide studios, denied that the delay and price would be a problem: “We know that serious gamers will buy all consoles available. It’s an established pattern.”

This attitude typifies Sony’s attitude to its customers. Nor are the launch games very compelling. At the Japanese launch of the PS3, Ken Kutaragi, the “father” of the PlayStation, addressed this lack of innovation by developers. “We have been relying too heavily on easy-to-sell sequels, and our users have become passive,” he said. There’s no sign yet that anyone was listening.

Eteric Rice said:
At least we brush our teeth.

what century are you living in?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
I'd ignore anything morph says, he's too belligerent to be any kind of moneyhat, but he is a rampant senseless zealot.

He got post happy in an identikit thread to this, it went like this...

'Morph lies' number 1.

morph said:
Not surprising.

Pre-orders sold out everywhere in London.

Was never like this for Wii and certainly not 360.

'Morph Lies' number 2.

morph said:
Tesco, Europe's largest retailer, also stopped taking pre-orders on their website.

To put it into perspective, Tesco sells more consoles in an hour than GAME do in a month.

morph said:
Tesco is like the Walmart of Europe - tiny chains like GAME just don't register.

'Morph lies' number 3.

morph said:
Sunderland and Newcastle :lol

Can people even afford PS3s there?

morph said:
Cities full of unemployed miners who couldn't afford a second hand Dreamcast let alone a PS3 don't count.

Why don't you throw in Bognor Regis for good measure :lol

I'm not going to spend anymore time on this, but please international GAFers don't gauge the situation in Europe based on what he's saying. Even if he's right, it's purely conicidence.

At the console’s launch in Tokyo last year, Phil Harrison, President of Sony Computer Entertainment’s worldwide studios, denied that the delay and price would be a problem: “We know that serious gamers will buy all consoles available. It’s an established pattern.”

wf_ps3_preorder4_em.jpg

Just got that emailed today. Not looking good, Phil!

Honestly, I'm sure the PS3 will sell well at launch, but every time I read a quote from Sony regarding the PS3 it makes me will it to fail.

Tieno

I really like that there's such big supply for PS3 that it'll be pretty normal getting a ps3. No camping or any other stupid shit.

maxmars

Anedoctal experience ahead.

Yesterday evening I went preordering The GodFather for Wii and the EB Games employee checked the release date. He glanced over the monitor then emitted a painful groan. So I said "problems?" to which he answered "Uh it's coming out on PS3 day.. You are warned that there will be a LOT of people here that day and operations will be VERY slow as everybody will bring in their PS2 and games for credit."

I think I'll go there just for the show (and my copy of The GodFather of course). :D

mrklaw

MrArseFace
supermackem said:
Nah f1 isnt so popular in the uk, i cant speak for the rest of europe.

are you kidding? Its very popular. Especially now we have four British drivers racing. We're fickle like that :)

although it doens't help that the 2007 F1 season kicks off this weekend and next week F1 comes out based on the 2006 season...

painey

thats the Pimp cane/shotgun, i think once you complete all the Pimp missions you get it as well as the Pimp Hat and coat and when you walk you do the pimp walk. I still havent done it :(

soco

Tieno said:
I really like that there's such big supply for PS3 that it'll be pretty normal getting a ps3. No camping or any other stupid shit.

5 months later on a console that isn't moving quickly from the shelves in its other markets, one would hope that's the case.

maxmars said:
Anedoctal experience ahead.

Yesterday evening I went preordering The GodFather for Wii and the EB Games employee checked the release date. He glanced over the monitor then emitted a painful groan. So I said "problems?" to which he answered "Uh it's coming out on PS3 day.. You are warned that there will be a LOT of people here that day and operations will be VERY slow as everybody will bring in their PS2 and games for credit."

I think I'll go there just for the show (and my copy of The GodFather of course). :D

Of course he's assuming from past successful launches that there'll be lots of people there...

Tieno

soco said:
5 months later on a console that isn't moving quickly from the shelves in its other markets, one would hope that's the case.
Doesn't change that as a consumer I like this situation.

morph said:
This thread still going.

Lots to damage control I suppose.

What's to damage control? Like was said early on in the thread -- that PR piece is contrary to what a lot of us are seeing.

I'm not soft enough to believe the PS3 will fail, or even that it won't be a massive success. But I do think this console's success is gonna be slow burning. It will take off eventually, but it's going to take time. That is just my personal perspective on things - what I expect.

PS3 is going to get all the usual pre-launch and launch PR you'd expect. Lots of fluffy quotes about interest and demand... and I'm sure lots of people are interested! I want one myself, but I'm not getting one because I can't afford one, and I've got my sisters wedding in Cyprus coming up (May 1-8). I've gotta save for that.

I've got a friend who's getting one very soon (and at a more affordable price) because he works for Sony Liverpool. And a buddy where I work is getting one. They're the only two people I know getting one. They're both already 360 and Wii owners... I *wish* I had that kinda money. I don't.

I think the best gauge of how they're doing will continue to be people from this forum and elsewhere telling you what they see in stores. If its PS3s in healthy supply on shelves a few weeks and months from now, then I won't be surprised. The ELSPA charts in the European sales threads won't lie either.

Oh and those staff-printed posters from GAME are appalling. GAME have sent out a memo reminding them it's not allowed IIRC.

soco

Tieno said:
Doesn't change that as a consumer I like this situation.

yeah sure, as a consumer everyone wants to walk into a store and buy something they want, or at least know they realistically have that option. i mean, as a consumer, its good to see the PSP situation isn't repeating itself.

as a fan though, it's not the kind of situation you want to see as there's still something to be said for the psychology of a wanted item selling out, and you actually getting one of them or not.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Flesh Into Gear said:
Saints Row.

You can get the cane off some old ladies, but I don't know where he got that fly ass jacket
:lol Taking canes from old ladies, even better.

snoopers said:
That should be Saints Row.
I'll grab the ps3 version in a couple months then. That gif cracks me up. :lol

Tieno

soco said:
yeah sure, as a consumer everyone wants to walk into a store and buy something they want, or at least know they realistically have that option. i mean, as a consumer, its good to see the PSP situation isn't repeating itself.

as a fan though, it's not the kind of situation you want to see as there's still something to be said for the psychology of a wanted item selling out, and you actually getting one of them or not.
I don't got off that much on having a device that's sold out, especially when it's staged or in such limited quantities that it doesn't really say much. I guess there's positive and negatives to each situation.

Neomoto

If the PS3 won't even sell out on launch it aint looking good for them. In one week from now we'll probably know more.

Wollan

Neomoto said:
If the PS3 won't even sell out on launch it aint looking good for them. In one week from now we'll probably know more.

It won't sell out. There's a million+ consoles available at the price of 600euros.

morph said:
I guess nothing :lol

:lol See it as damage control if you want. The reality in the coming months is more likely to lend credence to my posts than any of your zealous bullshit.

You're talking to someone who is quite likely to be one of those people GAME and GameStation employees will be chasing away from the PS3 kiosks at closing time.

Neomoto said:

I think it depends on how many they have available at launch. If they do have millions of consoles available at launch, selling even 500,000 of those at launch is pretty impressive in my eyes considering the hefty price of the machine.

Shiggy

Wollan said:
It won't sell out. There's a million+ consoles available at the price of 600euros.

Sony won't make one million consoles available on day 1, that's the amount for the first four weeks, or as they say, the launch period.

Wollan

Shiggy said:
Sony won't make one million consoles available on day 1, that's the amount for the first four weeks, or as they say, the launch period.

I think Sony are shipping those consoles hard. No restraints.

Link

The Autumn Wind
You'd think after the PSP and PS3 launches elsewhere, people wouldn't be so quick to proclaim "They'll sell as many as they can ship!"

I can't tell if you people actually think they can sell 1 - 1.5 million in a day/week when they've barely sold a million in either Japan or the US yet with available supply, or if you're just being tongue-in-cheek.

Shiggy

Wollan said:
I think Sony are shipping those consoles hard. No restraints.

Then you also think there will be no more shipments the weeks after the launch? It's in the press release that the one million number was for the launch PERIOD.

Wollan

Shiggy said:
Then you also think there will be no more shipments the weeks after the launch? It's in the press release that the one million number was for the launch PERIOD.

Well that was their 'minimum' promise in January. I'm sure Sony are still shipping whatever they have even if it goes beyond that number (while of course still keeping a stream to NA/JP).

Neomoto

Wollan said:
Shiggy said:
I thought so too (although I'm not sure about the 4 weeks as the launch period is mostly a bit larger than that), so I don't think they'll have one million on day one in stores. So by going on that, if they don't sell out on launchday / first week... And the PS2 launched with a high supply AND a freaking high price in Europe too, and that didn't seem to matter at the time (for early adopters).

Link

The Autumn Wind
I think even Sony knows they won't need 1 million available day one, but they may just be flooding the channel to reach their 6 million shipped figure.

Shiggy

Wollan said:
Well that was their 'minimum' promise in January. I'm sure Sony are still shipping whatever they have even if it goes beyond that number (while of course still keeping a stream to NA/JP).

Well, I think their press release is more credible than your assumption here.

Tieno

Neomoto said:
I thought so too (although I'm not sure about the 4 weeks as the launch period is mostly a bit larger than that), so I don't think they'll have one million on day one in stores. So by going on that, if they don't sell out on launchday / first week... And the PS2 launched with a high supply AND a freaking high price in Europe too, and that didn't seem to matter at the time (for early adopters).
Do you have any numbers on the PS2 launch?
According to some numbers I found, PS2 launched with 5k for Belgium, Netherlands and Luxemburg combined.

Wollan

Shiggy said:
Well, I think their press release is more credible than your assumption here.

I don't see a reason for why Sony would feel the need to pile those consoles up in a storage somewhere. I think they want to flood the channel as fast as possible in Europe.

Shiggy

Wollan said:
I don't see a reason for why Sony would feel the need to pile those consoles up in a storage somewhere. I think they want to flood the channel as fast as possible in Europe.

That wouldn't make sense as there's not such huge demand (due to the high price). As you might know, Sony would've already told us in a press release if they were making one million available on day 1. Just look at press releases from the NPD numbers, they're always using such euphemisms.

The people around me who are playstation fans won't be getting it, when i ask them why? the obvious price factor comes in to play. Most of those guys work for a living and can easily pay the price, but they don't think it's worth 600 euro's for a gaming console. I'm in the same boat actually, but will get it eventually(if i don't cave in:D ). I bought a 360 at launch(400euro's) and people around me said i was crazy.

The first shipment will sell out for sony but after that you'll see a deline in demand. The european economy isn't doing so well, i wish sony the best of luck though.

Top Bottom