• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0 to release Jan. 23 in Japan

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief

Source: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-10-15/evangelion-final-film-opens-on-january-23/.165274

A new trailer for Evangelion: 3.0+1.0: Thrice Upon A Time (Shin Evangelion Gekijō-ban :||), Studio Khara's new Evangelion film, debuted before the Friday opening of the Demon Slayer – Kimetsu no Yaiba – The Movie: Mugen Train anime film. The trailer reveals that the film is now scheduled for January 23. Studio Khara has not yet debuted the trailer online.

Edit:
Trailer is up.

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Great, just 3 more years to a subtitled Blu-ray
Guess I'll just learn Japanese.

Cautiously pessimistic on this one. I haven't liked what I've seen from the trailers and I'd been banking on 3.0 being that weird one that set up a fantastic climax.
3.0 was a weird jump. The time skip didn't sit right with me and it lacked the character development of the previous two movies.

d6aacfe5f2f0412d22bdfd82a24fa5cf.gif

GymWolf

I still have to see the original one but every time i read a discussion about evangelion i always think that crushing my balls against a wall would be more fun.

Last edited:

GymWolf

It gets worse later in the anime. I believe the first half was great but second half was absolute trash tier. Go watch Code Geas or Gurren Lagann if you want actual great animes and not some boring ass shit on drugs.
Already watched both.

I'm not really into giant robots type of anime tbh, the only one i truly loved where original mazinga and gurren lagann.
Code geass was fine but it get worse going on imo.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Is this the 4th movie then? Don't understand the name.
Holy shit is this the 4.0 movie? I've been waiting this shit like 10 years, wtf I have the BRdisks of 1.0 2.0 and 3.0 since I have memory lol.
Yes this is the 4th one. Title Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: Thrice Upon A Time. No idea if "thrice" refers to something with third impact or if it is referring to this being the third ending after the Neon Genesis Evangelion, End of Evangelion, and the Rebuild movies. Then gain, it is probably something that doesn't make any sense and doesn't have to do with either of those ideas.

Also, trailer is up. Looks like more 3.0 which I was not particularly a huge fan of.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
It gets worse later in the anime. I believe the first half was great but second half was absolute trash tier. Go watch Code Geas or Gurren Lagann if you want actual great animes and not some boring ass shit on drugs.
Bruh Gurren Lagann had people throwing galaxies at each other...

Thaedolus

The second half of Evangelion isn’t bad, it’s arguably where it really separates itself from a mostly stereotypical villain of the week giant robot show. The problem is it set up so much stuff that didn’t seem to pay off with the original ending. EoE fixed some of that but also ends in such an ambiguous way it’s hard to call it very satisfying.

The rebuild movies started really interestingly until 3...sheeit I still need to watch that again after like 7 years, maybe it’ll be better than I remember

I've seen some nico nico videos on overseas/American best/worst characters and they are constantly surprised to see both Shinji and Shin Asuka (GS:Destiny) constantly shat on.

Fbh

Unless it starts with Shinji waking up and being up "wow that was a weird dream of me in the future" the hype is pretty low.

Really enjoyed part 1 and 2 but with 3 it went back to convoluted pseudo deep crap.

Barnabot

is this the anime with the dude who jerked off on an unconscious woman?
He did way worse in this movie version. He kinda triggered the nuking of entire mankind just because he wanted to be near to some chick. Now try to compare this to the "another dimension" Shinji having a wank because of Asuka.

Jon Neu

Banned
Can anyone imagine how it will be received in the current climate a scene in which the protagonist masturbates in front of the comatose & exposed body of a 14 years old girl?

I guess the protagonist being 14 years old himself and being cartoons helps alleviate the awkwardness of it.

I guess.

The second half of Evangelion isn’t bad, it’s arguably where it really separates itself from a mostly stereotypical villain of the week giant robot show.

The second half is when it really gets good. The first half has hints of what is going to be the actual premise and endgame of the series, but it really starts developing in the last half.

EoE fixed some of that but also ends in such an ambiguous way it’s hard to call it very satisfying.

I don't think there isn't any ambiguity at all in the ending of EoE.

It's like the ending of the Sopranos. The clues are there.

Jon Neu

Banned
The first two rebuild movies were good. They played it safe and they were just soft reboots of the TV series.

Then 3.0 happened and I didn't liked it. I appreciate the intent and the heavy Fushigi No Umi No Nadia homages (another one of my favourite animes), but I don't like the execution.

One thing I appreciated though is how fucking dense the movie was with information. You have to really pay attention to what's happening and sometimes you just have to watch frame for frame to unravel some information and motifs that you can easily miss. Also the animation is amazing.

I liked the 10 first minutes of the 3.0+1.0, the Paris setting brought back childhood memories of Nadia and it was really fun as an action piece. Beautifully animated and the score was amazing too (it sounded spanish instead of french, though).

I guess I want to be cautiously optimistic that the Master Mr. Anno it's going to deliver again. I want to believe.

rorepmE

Why does it take so long for Glorious Nippon to make shit?

I mean we complain about America where you can be successful by being an asshole and run the franchise into the ground with yearly releases.

Can't we have a happy medium somewhere in-between?

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member

Eva 3.33 ending preview.

First preview we got 7 years later.

10 minute preview that debuted at AX 2019. (I think)

Then there's this that only the real ones know from over 10 years ago, I remember finishing 2.0 and soyfacing over the massive differences and story changes coming next:

Top Bottom