• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eve Online drama: Goonswarm alledgely disbands Band of Brothers and steals their shit

Mindlog

DEO3 said:
It's going to be a fun couple of weeks.

Should be pretty hilarious. I wonder how many groups have changed their plans to rush Delve :lol

I will never play, but goddamnit it's entertaining to read about every now and then.

It always intersts me that these people that take this games so very seriously always come up with these stupid names. You play this game all day and the best you got is GoonSwarm? :lol

Ventrue

Anerythristic said:
You play this game all day and the best you got is GoonSwarm? :lol

I'd guess it's the Something Awful guild; SA refers to themselves as Goons. Like Gaffers. Also, from this article it would seem they pretty much do a lot of trolling and stuff.

Band of Brothers is a bad name for a guild though.

Vinci

Danish
Anerythristic said:
It always intersts me that these people that take this games so very seriously always come up with these stupid names. You play this game all day and the best you got is GoonSwarm? :lol

I've always thought it was there way of acting as if they didn't take the game that seriously, like if someone were to call their guild Fraggle Rock simply to show how untouched they are with what happens in the game.

Next thing you know, one of their Titans gets blown to hell and everyone's pissed off. Massively.

EVE is one of those games I tried to get into, couldn't, but still really love reading about, especially when scandal occurs.

Vinci said:
I've always thought it was there way of acting as if they didn't take the game that seriously, like if someone were to call their guild Fraggle Rock simply to show how untouched they are with what happens in the game.

Next thing you know, one of their Titans gets blown to hell and everyone's pissed off. Massively.

Plus their little mascot is a cartoon bee so it's all part of that "lol serious business" image. Their tactics from what I've read tend to involve throwing wave after wave of small, inexpensive ships at big targets until they win, much like, well, a swarm of bees.

HallucinatingElvis said:
what's a "Carebear?"

A carebear is someone who does not participate in Player vs Player (PVP) combat and, instead, focuses on Player vs Monster (PVM) or Player vs Enviroment (PVE) combat. It's used as a way to make fun of someone's play style.

Talas

crimsonheadGCN said:
A carebear is someone who does not participate in Player vs Player (PVP) combat and, instead, focuses on Player vs Monster (PVM) or Player vs Enviroment (PVE) combat. It's used as a way to make fun of someone's play style.
And they usually get really really mad when they are destroyed, that's one of the greatest things about Eve, even safe space is not 100% safe.

Vinci

Danish
Talas said:
And they usually get really really mad when they are destroyed, that's one of the greatest things about Eve, even safe space is not 100% safe.

Ever see that 'carebear' get pissed off and go rampaging in his Hulk? That video was priceless.

EDIT: This.

Hootie

Wow, I've pretty much never even heard of this game but all of this political drama seems really awesome. I just read like 5 wikipedia articles all about this game :lol

I'd love to start playing but I'm pretty sure my computer wouldn't be able to handle it. =(

Vinci

Danish
Hootie said:
Wow, I've pretty much never even heard of this game but all of this political drama seems really awesome. I just read like 5 wikipedia articles all about this game :lol

Read the official player's guide. The game is insanely deep the further you go into it. Just don't even think of soloing the thing. Join a corporation early, preferably EVE University, and you're pretty much set.

I'd love to start playing but I'm pretty sure my computer wouldn't be able to handle it. =(

Unless your computer is very, very old, it would probably do all right. This is a really easy game to run.

Hootie

Vinci said:
Read the official player's guide. The game is insanely deep the further you go into it. Just don't even think of soloing the thing. Join a corporation early, preferably EVE University, and you're pretty much set.

Unless your computer is very, very old, it would probably do all right. This is a really easy game to run.

Urge to purchase...rising...

One quick hypothetical question...would a giant alliance/corporation be able to launch a full scale assault/invasion on another alliance and win? Like, one EPIC battle that decides the fate of an entire region? I'd buy the game in an instant just to witness something on that scale.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm curious, do most corps allow new players in?

I mean, with the whole assassination thing, I suppose there's a lot of paranoia, but can you actually get into the game if you have no history whatsoever?

Vinci

Danish
Hootie said:
One quick hypothetical question...would a giant alliance/corporation be able to launch a full scale assault/invasion on another alliance and win?

Sure.

Like, one EPIC battle that decides the fate of an entire region? I'd buy the game in an instant just to witness something on that scale.

Depends on the scale of the operation. There have been fleet battles with hundreds of players (~500-750) involved that lasted for several hours. Really, everything ramps up depending on the scale of what you're attempting. Though I don't have a ton of experience on the operations end, as I typically just watched and talked with the people involved. But real strategy is involved in campaigns and they can last for long periods of time.

firehawk12 said:
I'm curious, do most corps allow new players in?

Many will. Even Goonswarm routinely recruits new players.

I mean, with the whole assassination thing, I suppose there's a lot of paranoia, but can you actually get into the game if you have no history whatsoever?

I would read up on the game a bit before going into the trial. Once there, I again heavily recommend you join EVE University. It's comprised of a lot of veteran players that train people through classes on how to play EVE and understand how to fight, mine, deal with the economy, politics, etc. It's a good, charitable group. If they get wardecc'd, you'll get a taste of real warfare and have up to maybe a 100 other people in the Uni backing you up.

That's the best recommendation I can give anyone interested in joining EVE. Find a corporation, like University, and get to know folks. This isn't about you playing against the game, it's you playing against other players by cooperating with some and competing with others.

Gasgul

BOB out of game irc records @Zero hour.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Originally Posted by The Mittani View Post
<@LadyScarlet> noooooo
<@LadyScarlet> dice
<@LadyScarlet> is not in the allince
<@LadyScarlet> wtf
<@arcantos> nor is finfl
<@LadyScarlet> omg
<@arcantos> 2009.02.05 01:31
<@arcantos> The war between FinFleet and Abbach Alliance is coming to an end. FinFleet has surrendered to Abbach Alliance. The war will be declared as being over after approximately 24 hours.
<@arcantos> someone did a bubu ..
<@tricky> um
<@Luciender> Um...
<@LadyScarlet> the allince
<Argentina> that's going to be interesting
<@LadyScarlet> dotn exisit anymore ?
<@arcantos> no
<@arcantos> bob is closed
<Argentina> looks like bob closed
<@tricky> FUCK
<Argentina> hahahaha
<@arcantos> Band of Brothers (Closed) from 2007.08.10 to 2009.02.05
<Argentina> someone didn't pay the bill
<@tricky> sov4s are going to die
<@LadyScarlet> call molle !
<@Luciender> .............
<Argentina> it doesn't matter who you call
<Argentina> don't bother waking anyone up
<@tricky> wtf
<@Luciender> ...............
<Argentina> it isn't just sov4, it should be all sov dropping
<@Spathi> all sov will drop now
<@Spathi> petition that.
<@Spathi> like, now
<@LadyScarlet> we need it delt with now
<Argentina> directors, go
<Argentina> or ceos
<@tricky> Standings are going to be fucked up
<Argentina> but if it's an unpaid bill, will they care?
<@tricky> ping your corps
<@tricky> or we will lose shit
<@Luciender> Sort your standings out to every bob corp
<@LadyScarlet> can i pay it from hat ?
<@LadyScarlet> do we know ?
<Argentina> lady, it needs to be recreated
<Argentina> via petition (preferable) or in game (we lose sov and so on)
<@Spathi> just get it petitioned.
-stratics.frws.com:mad:#bobsecure- ChanServ invited Blocko into channel #bobsecure.
* Blocko (XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.com) has joined #bobsecure
* ChanServ sets mode: +o Blocko
<@Blocko> What needs to happen to sort this?
<@LadyScarlet> im yelling at coranor now
<Argentina> wake your brother up ;p
<@LadyScarlet> or get dian ya
<@Luciender> get dian on
<@Luciender> wake him up
<@LadyScarlet> blocko he had to pettion and pay the bill now
<@Blocko> to do what?
<@Blocko> on lousia?
<@LadyScarlet> recreat bob allince
<@LadyScarlet> its gone
<@Spathi> dont recreate, just petition it.. either way we're screwed if the gms dont help
<@Blocko> someones ringing him
<@Blocko> lol
<Argentina> the bob alliance is closed. we don't know why. we need a petition begging for it to be recreated so we don't lose all sov
<@Coranor> petition it
<@Malindah> has anyone petitioned it?
<@Malindah> if nto I will
<Argentina> who needs to petiton? ceos? one ceo?
<@Blocko> hes up
<@Spathi> just everyone do it lol
<@Luciender> i woke him up.
<@Coranor> i see no payable bill on record on one of my director alts
<@Coranor> just someone fucking petition it it doesn't have to be me
<Argentina> who does it have to be? any director
<Argentina> ?
<Argentina> any ceo?
<Argentina> surely not just any member
<@LadyScarlet> well i can pettion it but i though it had to be a ceo
<@Coranor> mal go petition it please
<@LadyScarlet> if mal isnt i will then
<@Malindah> i am working on it
<@LadyScarlet> but im not sure how all that allince shit works
<@Luciender> Guys
<@Luciender> set your standings to each corp please
<@Malindah> but we have freighters that justgot bounced.
<@LadyScarlet> ya
<@Malindah> trying to get them safe.
<@arcantos> luci it's not only standings
<@LadyScarlet> fken hell its already on coad
<@arcantos> now we need to share pwds for poses
<@Blocko> Dian is up
<@Coranor> it doesn't matter just fucking sort out standings so people don't get nailed by pos guns
<@Spathi> Check the titans in h-a
<@Spathi> Cos any online...
<@tricky> rkk standings should be sorted
<@Mako> still going to get bounced
<@Coranor> now make sure titans are logged off
<@cflux> get a message out that no titans logs in, they will all be bounced to fuck
<@Dian> *yawns*
<@Luciender> lol
<@Luciender> HAI DIAN
<@Coranor> all of you in all your corps go set standings and make sure titans stay logged off
<@Dian> can somenoe just paste me what I need to put in this petition
<@wizzard66> strange, all our standings seems correct for evol
<@Dian> my brain isn't working
<@wizzard66> hi dian
<@Ciryath> !orders DONT LOG IN CAPITALS TO ANY BOB TOWER | Thursday h-ad, mixed fleet regroup 17:30 and 21:30. Those that logged of close to 3-l, we try to arrange bridge from 3-l before ops
<@cflux> when was the last bill paid?
<Argentina> [04Feb09 20:38|Argentina> the bob alliance is closed. we don't know why. we need a petition begging for it to be recreated so we don't lose all sov
<Argentina> that's what we need, dian
<@cflux> when was the last bill paid?
<@Dian> it was paid
<@Dian> I'd bet money it was paid
<@Dian> fuck knows how I find out though
<Argentina> could someone have closed it on purpose. who has the ability to do that?
<@Dian> and, it wouldn't have reset
<@Dian> until dt anyway
<@Dian> afaik
<@LadyScarlet> i sent corp mail n o titians or caps to log in w/o fc orders first
<@LadyScarlet> everyone prob should do the same
<@Blocko> I blame Thol!
<@LadyScarlet> hey i was scared thol removed us lol
<@Dian> Argentina, I think only the executor
<@Coranor> qd put that on the irc channels or forums not corp mail
<@Dian> of the holding corp
<@cflux> Ok. Who has a fucking director in tin foil, actual director not these bullshit gave access shit, go to bills tab and check if the shit was paid or not.
<@Dian> I do
<@Dian> fuck sake
<@Coranor> chill lads
<@Blocko> cflux,,,, ssshshshshshhhhh
<@LadyScarlet> i have a director in tin foil
<@Coranor> we've done what we can about it so let the petitions go in and just chill
<@cflux> I just need an answer was it paid or not, if it was paid, for sure, someone gurantees his mother that it was fucking paid, I call the batman hothline.
<Argentina> change !orders. it reads like it was done on purpose
<Argentina> no sense adding to the confusion
<@Mako> who is arkannen
<@cflux> and thats heavy duty batman hotmail. but i aint fucking ringing if it was our screwup
<@LadyScarlet> a gm ?
<@Coranor> dian said he was sure it was paid
<@Dian> I am almost certain it was paid
<@Dian> and cflux, there's no record of ANY alliance reg fee
<@cflux> Mako: arkannen? arkanon? hes the internal security guy
<@Dian> ever being paid
<@Dian> in the wakket
<@Dian> and the last one
<@Dian> is listed as the 8th of jan
<@Dian> so no, this should not be happening
<@Dian> and the one before that
<@Dian> is december
<@Dian> exactly a month before
<@Dian> so yeh, no fucking way
<@Mako> who is arkannen
<@Sivona> so it should go down on 8th feb?
* Theo|dinner is now known as Theo
<@LadyScarlet> <cflux> Mako: arkannen? arkanon? hes the internal security guy
<@Dian> who is gonna sit online
<@Dian> that I can direct a gm to?
<@LadyScarlet> i can be online
<@LadyScarlet> all night
<@Spathi> I can too
<@Malindah> i can be online as well
<@LadyScarlet> till 11 or so
<@DeadAgain> Same for Evol
<@Mako> some with that name took al the wallet from hat
<@DeadAgain> *all night
<@wizzard66> wtf?
<@Mako> and left reson
<@LadyScarlet> huh
<@Mako> the mittani says hi
<@cflux> first one who gets contact of a GM, tell him we need our constellation sovs returned
<@LadyScarlet> omg
<@LadyScarlet> you have got to be shitting
<@wizzard66> Arkannen - Haargoth Agamar
<@Mako> not 20 min
<@Luciender> remove
<@Dian> rut roh
<@Luciender> =/
<@LadyScarlet> but harrgoth is in here
<@Dian> hahaha
<@Dian> and what roles did he have?
<@cflux> Mako: repeat again
<Argentina> we just got played? hats off (not pun intended)
<@Blocko> Secure is comprisimied - Mittani shags goats
<@Dian> cflux
<@Dian> hat.. wallet
<@Mako> look at journal of hat wallet
<@Dian> arkannen took 500m
<@Dian> or so
<@Dian> at 0130
<@Dian> "mittani says hi"
<@cflux> get coranor online, control hat assests now
<@cflux> lockdown the fucking corp, remove all roles from everyone
<@cflux> BNC, lockdown your corps, hes your guys
<@cflux> It looks like we are being fucked royally
<@Blocko> - Mittani shags goats
<@Dian> Luciender
<@Dian> what roles did he have?
<@Dian> Coranor, audit that char plz
<@Dian> see what roles it had
<@Luciender> i dont have access for that mate
<@Luciender> just a fueler alt
<@Ztrain> I'm off work in 8 munutes
<@Coranor> that characters roles are now gone
<@Ztrain> I'll be home have a director character in Hat
<@Ztrain> or at least had.
<@Luciender> Id say remove everyone's mate
<@Dian> ok that char
<@Dian> would not have had roles
<@LadyScarlet> dotn remove miss dixies
<@Dian> it has bnc.e director title
<@LadyScarlet> its me ;P
<@LadyScarlet> took me 2 months to get them back
<@Malindah> I cannot remove roles
<@Ztrain> lol
<@Malindah> trying to get Okuden now
<@Dian> roles gone on that char
<@Spathi> haarg is nova, not eclipse.
<@Spathi> he has 1 char in eclipse and it was pos gunner only
<@LadyScarlet> do we ban him from here yes or no ?
<@LadyScarlet> he sitting in this channel
* You were kicked by Spathi (Bye )
* Attempting to rejoin channel #bobsecure
* Unable to join channel (invite only)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

source

interview with the Mittani audio mp3

Gasgul

heh, from all the times ive read/heard him he is very into his persona, he has been "The Mittani" for years,

think of it as a character actor, engrossed in his role,

:lol

Slavik81

AndrewG009 said:
EVE is one of those games I tried to get into, couldn't, but still really love reading about, especially when scandal occurs.
Yeah. I played about 8 hours of it and then quit when I was given the same mission twice.

It's great to hear about, though.

Gattsu25

Banned
Vinci said:
Once you've downloaded the Trial, contact EVE University (a player-run corporation) and ask if they could help you understand and have fun in EVE. They'll take care of you, unless of course they're at war with someone. They don't enlist more people whilst at war. [Asshats love to declare war on them even though they're a school for newbs.]
That's one of the more awesome things I've ever heard, regarding an MMO :lol

Slavik81 said:
Yeah. I played about 8 hours of it and then quit when I was given the same mission twice.

It's great to hear about, though.
one of the big boons to goonswarm is they have a system designed to take in brand new players and make them respectable pvp tacklers within a day. and they are very friendly to their newbies. it helps so much for member retention.

JoeMartin

Okay, as probably the only active EVE player on NeoGAF lemme break this down:

A Band of Brother's director (highest level of access in corp) for the executor corp (corp in direct control of the alliance; in short, a director of the executor corp is a director for the alliance) became disgruntled with his EVE life in BOB.

He was not a goon spy. He defected to a Goonswarm corporation Igneus Arctorita with one of his alts, Harkani, in search of a more rewarding EVE career. The recruiter, Tamir Lenk, who let him in, however, failed to notice a few problems in his corporation history (corps that would flag him red for membership, that is, corps known to be not friendly to goonswarm) and told to release him from the corp.

When Tamir Lenk told Harkani (the BOB director alt) that he had to go, Harkani came clean and told Tamir that he was in fact a BOB director, and was willing to give them intel.

Of course anyone can say this, and Tamir did several checks to make sure he was telling the truth, but he had to keep it as quiet as possible. Eventually this makes it up the ladder to the Goon's spymaster, The Mittani, with BOB still unaware of what was happening. They schemed for ways to steal from BOB but eventually come up with a plan to completely collapse the alliance in one fell swoop.

Harkani's main, Haargoth Agamar, was the BOB director. He had director roles for Black Nova Corporation (BNC), one of BOB's premier PVP corps, as well as director roles for BOB's executor corp, Tin Foil. Before setting this all in motion, Haargoth stole the entirety of BNC's assets that he could immediately move. He snagged nearly 13 billion liquid ISK, 16 fitting and rigged dreadnaughts, as well as hundreds upon hundreds of battleships and T2 ships from corporate hangar. He took BILLIONS from BNC alone.

However, stealing from BNC was just an insignificant part of the plan that was to unfold. As director of the executor corp of BOB, he had the power to forcibly remove entire corporations from the alliance at will, and that's exactly what he did. Haargoth simultaneously removed all of the corporations from Band of Brothers, as well as removing the roles from the other directors of the executor corp. However, it takes 24 hours for roles to clear, so this wasn't enough alone to stop this plan from happening.

So, in conjunction with removing all of the corporations, they timed the event to happen when the alliance fee was due. In order to hold an alliance, the executor corp is required to pay a 200 million ISK fee every month. After removing all of the corporations and roles from the directors, he cleaned the wallets of the executor corp so the alliance due would pass unpaid.

Once the alliance due passed unpaid, the alliance officially closed. Goons picked up the name, ticker, and executor corp seconds later to prevent it from reopening.

The implications of this seemingly small act are outstandingly enormous. What it really boils down to is that because the alliance no longer exists, ALL of Band of Brother's sovereignty would disappear after downtime. Not only would it take 24 hours for a new alliance to form, (putting it passed downtime and sovereignty removal in the first place), but the executor corporation was already gone.

So, what happens when sovereignty drops? Many key modules important to protecting space require sovereignty. With no sovereignty BOB had no cynojammers, no cynogenerators, no jump bridges, and lost all of the conquerable stations. In addition all of their capital shipyards went offline, as well as all of their POSes.

The loss of the jump bridge network and the loss of cynojammers was the most significant hit. Without cynojammers BOB can no longer prevent enemy capital ships from entering their systems, and without jump bridges they can no longer move between their own POS network independent of star gates.

Also, after downtime, ALL of their POSes (HUNDREDS OF THEM) would come up offline and unanchored. In order to try and save the countless billions in assets contained inside them, they need to haul it out or reanchor and defend the POSes.

Unfortunately for BOB, defense is a rough prospect when 90% of the entire playerbase is coming to pillage your territory, and you have no means with which to restrict the movement of their ships, let alone their capitals.

BOB's best bet, and what they're currently doing, is hedging as many assets as they can, and have been frantically trying to move assets out since the alliance was closed some time ago last night. But again, this is is a rough prospect as they have no jump bridges and are being camped in by countless other alliances.

Because of this, BOB is either going to have countless billions blown up trying to get them out, or they'll pay a modest fee to be given passage. In addition to assets lost in movement, you must consider the assets lost to stations and POSes they were unable to recover before other alliance got to them. Also, they had more than a few super capitals (motherships and titans) which were in the process of being built, and have since been aborted, meaning the super capital shipyards were destroyed, and that's 10's of billions of ISK down the drain as well. Many of their super capitals are also trapped in their systems with no real way out. They can either sit them there cloaked for months on end or simply have them blown up.

Past the direct losses of BOB themselves, countless more will lose ships, capital ships, and POSes in the wars that will rage over the former BOB territory. Many of facilities mining the highend moons, those responsible for putting minerals on the market for item production, have temporarily been taken offline, and likely won't stabilize for weeks, and this will very likely adversely affect the market for ALL players.

This blow is nothing short of staggering, and it would not be surprising to see the ISK toll into the trillions, and translated to real money, tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of assets and manhours lost.

This has been the greatest and most devastating heist ever performed in a video game, and is nothing short of a horror, a hilarity and work of art to witness. Its as close to a Greek tragedy as video gaming is ever going to get.

Sorry for making it so long, but there's no tl;dr version that would do it justice.

PLAY EVE.

Vinci

Danish
JoeMartin said:
Holy shit, awesome details

Good god, that's ingenious. Thank you so much for the full rundown. I've never been too deeply involved with the Alliance system so I wasn't aware of how everything went down.

PLAY EVE.

Wish I could play it more often, but most I can do is play it from time to time. =(

KTallguy

Banned
I would play Eve if I could control it from a phone or portable device.
At least to perform menial stuff.

Most EVE players have like, 2 computers right ? :lol

Sciz

JoeMartin said:

PLAY EVE.
Why more developers aren't making games that allow this kind of player-driven chaos to occur is beyond me. The political intrigue alone is absolutely fascinating.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Thank you JoeMartin for the awesome explanation!

This is seriously amazing. Hats off to goons. They own this game now.

Vinci

Danish
BudokaiMR2 said:
Fuck you assholes. Stop making me want to play this game.

This game is awesome. People who dismissed it after Yahtzee from ZP trashed it in a review are fools. It's the best MMO ever made. WoW can go screw itself, quite frankly.

Zenith

Banned
JoeMartin said:

PLAY EVE.

blackadder3_1.jpg

"I don't know what you're talking about, but it sounds damned saucy."

Gattsu25

Banned
JoeMartin said:

A Band of Brother's director (highest level of access in corp) for the executor corp (corp in direct control of the alliance; in short, a director of the executor corp is a director for the alliance) became disgruntled with his EVE life in BOB.

He was not a goon spy. He defected to a Goonswarm corporation Igneus Arctorita with one of his alts, Harkani, in search of a more rewarding EVE career. The recruiter, Tamir Lenk, who let him in, however, failed to notice a few problems in his corporation history (corps that would flag him red for membership, that is, corps known to be not friendly to goonswarm) and told to release him from the corp.

When Tamir Lenk told Harkani (the BOB director alt) that he had to go, Harkani came clean and told Tamir that he was in fact a BOB director, and was willing to give them intel.

Of course anyone can say this, and Tamir did several checks to make sure he was telling the truth, but he had to keep it as quiet as possible. Eventually this makes it up the ladder to the Goon's spymaster, The Mittani, with BOB still unaware of what was happening. They schemed for ways to steal from BOB but eventually come up with a plan to completely collapse the alliance in one fell swoop.

Harkani's main, Haargoth Agamar, was the BOB director. He had director roles for Black Nova Corporation (BNC), one of BOB's premier PVP corps, as well as director roles for BOB's executor corp, Tin Foil. Before setting this all in motion, Haargoth stole the entirety of BNC's assets that he could immediately move. He snagged nearly 13 billion liquid ISK, 16 fitting and rigged dreadnaughts, as well as hundreds upon hundreds of battleships and T2 ships from corporate hangar. He took BILLIONS from BNC alone.

However, stealing from BNC was just an insignificant part of the plan that was to unfold. As director of the executor corp of BOB, he had the power to forcibly remove entire corporations from the alliance at will, and that's exactly what he did. Haargoth simultaneously removed all of the corporations from Band of Brothers, as well as removing the roles from the other directors of the executor corp. However, it takes 24 hours for roles to clear, so this wasn't enough alone to stop this plan from happening.

So, in conjunction with removing all of the corporations, they timed the event to happen when the alliance fee was due. In order to hold an alliance, the executor corp is required to pay a 200 million ISK fee every month. After removing all of the corporations and roles from the directors, he cleaned the wallets of the executor corp so the alliance due would pass unpaid.

Once the alliance due passed unpaid, the alliance officially closed. Goons picked up the name, ticker, and executor corp seconds later to prevent it from reopening.

The implications of this seemingly small act are outstandingly enormous. What it really boils down to is that because the alliance no longer exists, ALL of Band of Brother's sovereignty would disappear after downtime. Not only would it take 24 hours for a new alliance to form, (putting it passed downtime and sovereignty removal in the first place), but the executor corporation was already gone.

So, what happens when sovereignty drops? Many key modules important to protecting space require sovereignty. With no sovereignty BOB had no cynojammers, no cynogenerators, no jump bridges, and lost all of the conquerable stations. In addition all of their capital shipyards went offline, as well as all of their POSes.

The loss of the jump bridge network and the loss of cynojammers was the most significant hit. Without cynojammers BOB can no longer prevent enemy capital ships from entering their systems, and without jump bridges they can no longer move between their own POS network independent of star gates.

Also, after downtime, ALL of their POSes (HUNDREDS OF THEM) would come up offline and unanchored. In order to try and save the countless billions in assets contained inside them, they need to haul it out or reanchor and defend the POSes.

Unfortunately for BOB, defense is a rough prospect when 90% of the entire playerbase is coming to pillage your territory, and you have no means with which to restrict the movement of their ships, let alone their capitals.

BOB's best bet, and what they're currently doing, is hedging as many assets as they can, and have been frantically trying to move assets out since the alliance was closed some time ago last night. But again, this is is a rough prospect as they have no jump bridges and are being camped in by countless other alliances.

Because of this, BOB is either going to have countless billions blown up trying to get them out, or they'll pay a modest fee to be given passage. In addition to assets lost in movement, you must consider the assets lost to stations and POSes they were unable to recover before other alliance got to them. Also, they had more than a few super capitals (motherships and titans) which were in the process of being built, and have since been aborted, meaning the super capital shipyards were destroyed, and that's 10's of billions of ISK down the drain as well. Many of their super capitals are also trapped in their systems with no real way out. They can either sit them there cloaked for months on end or simply have them blown up.

Past the direct losses of BOB themselves, countless more will lose ships, capital ships, and POSes in the wars that will rage over the former BOB territory. Many of facilities mining the highend moons, those responsible for putting minerals on the market for item production, have temporarily been taken offline, and likely won't stabilize for weeks, and this will very likely adversely affect the market for ALL players.

This blow is nothing short of staggering, and it would not be surprising to see the ISK toll into the trillions, and translated to real money, tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of assets and manhours lost.

This has been the greatest and most devastating heist ever performed in a video game, and is nothing short of a horror, a hilarity and work of art to witness. Its as close to a Greek tragedy as video gaming is ever going to get.

Sorry for making it so long, but there's no tl;dr version that would do it justice.

PLAY EVE.
Awesome write-up, man

JoeMartin

Osaka said:
Thank you JoeMartin for the awesome explanation!

This is seriously amazing. Hats off to goons. They own this game now.

Well yes and no.

BOB owned three regions: Delve, Querious and Period Basis. Executive Outcomes, famous for being the BOB pet alliance, still holds sovereignty in most of Period Basis. All of BOB's other GBC (Greater BoB Coalition) corps and alliances held sovereignty in Querious (except for the station systems and high end moons, of which there were few, that BOB held). Sovereignty will definitely change hands there and a more stable powerblock will likely snag Querious, but I doubt it's on anyone's priority list.

Goon's biggest loss since their war with AAA and BOB started has been the Esoteria region (whose highend moons alone generate 160b+ ISK a month), currently occupied by GBC forces. With BOB gone and AAA down their biggest ally (and all of the south currently in mass disarray) - and after pillaging what they can - Goons are likely going to run over Esoteria first and get that back.

Delve is where the fun begins. Not only is it a fortress from a logistical standpoint, but it has a huge number of highend moons, in addition to a massive number of the systems having conquerable NPC stations + agents, and a COSMOS constellation. Basically it's every alliance's dream of a region to hold. Since BOB held just about every system in the region, all of its sovereignty has been reset and the land grab has already started.

Pandemic Legion has already taken NOL- and its station named "The Alamo" - BoB's much famed line of last defense that would not fall during the Southern War II last summer. TBH I entirely expect Pandemic Legion to come out on top holding Delve before the end of the month.

But until then it's going to be a massive clusterfuck of a free for all with all the major powerblocs making some sort of play for Delve.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I love the "Regards, ..." bit. Awesome.

I never got a character going in EVE; the first few missions are so fucking dull that I uninstalled it, and that two times.
Does it get any better later?

TheExodu5

Banned
Joe, do you guys use a Vent server or anything for EVE? I'd honestly love to get started with EVE, but found it frustrating last time I was in a trial where the corps I found didn't use any type of voice chat. Text-only is a big barrier for me enjoying an MMO...I need voice chat, and I need to personally know the people I'm playing with. It's a lot more fun and involving that way, imo. Also, a lot easier for me to get started since EVE is pretty complex. :lol

TheExodu5 said:
Joe, do you guys use a Vent server or anything for EVE? I'd honestly love to get started with EVE, but found it frustrating last time I was in a trial where the corps I found didn't use any type of voice chat. Text-only is a big barrier for me enjoying an MMO...I need voice chat, and I need to personally know the people I'm playing with. It's a lot more fun and involving that way, imo. Also, a lot easier for me to get started since EVE is pretty complex. :lol

There's voice chat built in, IIRC, but I don't think it's widely used.

JayDubya

Banned
Man. I would be so pissed if I played that game. I mean, I've played some free online games where the head of your alliance can fuck you over diplomatically, I've been a guild officer and guildmaster in WoW (and seen some of the best and worst in guild politics and coups d’état), but a game where your leader can do that much harm to you? No thanks.

If I were in the guild in question, I'd quit the game. :lol I mean, fuck that.

JoeMartin

TheExodu5 said:

Yeah my corporation uses vent, I'm actually involved in faction warfare at the moment so its the Amarr Militia vent. Granted I still spend all my time PVPing, it's just mostly low-sec PVP.

I did a 9 month stint in 0.0 but left for a whole lot of reasons. The politics still interest me, so I still follow them closely.

Keep in mind that EVE still has a massive entry barrier. It's hard to get into, but once you do... I haven't found a game I'd rather be playing.

JayDubya said:
Man. I would be so pissed if I played that game. I mean, I've played some free online games where the head of your alliance can fuck you over diplomatically, I've been a guild officer and guildmaster in WoW (and seen some of the best and worst in guild politics and coups d’état), but a game where your leader can do that much harm to you? No thanks.

If I were in the guild in question, I'd quit the game. :lol I mean, fuck that.

Hahahaha, yeah. This will most likely result in a change to director mechanics, so a single man can't undermine an entire alliance. Granted this isn't the first time it's happened.

But most of the players will survive it. They still have their characters and their SP, as well as their individual wallets. Sucks to see all that work get sucked into the void like that, but this is the most interesting thing to happen to BOB in a long time, even if it was the end of them. I feel like a lot of them will be better for it.

nightside

JoeMartin said:
WOW just WOW

now i fully understand the scale of this....

WOW....

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G

this is the most awesome thing I ever heard about an online game:lol

sounds like the end on an era in EVE...

I assume now every other alliance will be goin on war to take former BOB territories and stuff

Goonswarm unleashed a fucking apocalypse

Peronthious said:
There's voice chat built in, IIRC, but I don't think it's widely used.

It's never used by anyone who participates in pvp, since logging out of the game is considered a viable tactic to avoid combat (which is lame, IMO) and you typically need to stay in communication with people in game so you know when it's safe to come back in.

Top Bottom