• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVE Online political betrayal result in record-breaking theft (1.5 trillion isk/20k$)

Dark Rider

XEtl6KN.png

The EVE Online twitterverse exploded late last night with the news of a political twist so enormous that it's become the largest recorded theft of in-game assets in the game's history. In the middle of the night and without warning, major EVE military alliance Circle of Two (or CO2 for short) was betrayed by its diplomatic officer, a player with the ominous name of The Judge. In addition to cleaning out the alliance war funds and assets to the tune of over a trillion ISK, The Judge also transferred ownership of CO2's 300 billion ISK keepstar citadel in its capital star system of 68FT-6 to a holding corporation, effectively stealing the alliance's home space station.

more here
and here
and here

this resulted in a major alliance leader to be permabanned

Circle of Two's leader, a notorious player named gigX, was so furious to learn of The Judge's betrayal that he went into full meltdown mode in the alliance chat channel. Not content to keep his rivalry in-game, gigX asked his alliance to give him The Judge's real name and home address. He followed up the request by writing ”The Judge feel free to use your hands by typing here" before adding ”while you can" to make a pretty serious threat.

more here

The judge made an official statement trying to spin his action using his diplomatic skills (he was Co2 top diplomat)

you can find his statement here

Co2 had a state of the alliance meeting
it was leaked more about it here

days after the incident TEST alliance released this official statement
can be read here

as a result Co2 alliance suffered bleeding of members, it went from a little above 5000 members to around 1500 members as of now
more statistics can be found here

more reading material:
HOW A SINGLE CLICK CAN DESTROY TRILLIONS – WHAT DAMAGE WAS DONE?
HOW A SINGLE CLICK CAN DESTROY TRILLIONS – WHAT MADE IT HAPPEN?

Bonus:
Jin'talks made a youtube video explaining the situation and interviewing a member of both sides:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOdXie85VX8

a member corporation of the imperium alliance (Co2 enemies) made a cover song to mock Co2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKjl-S3Yvac

note:
I know this is few days old but I was too busy to write about it.

searched and found nothing, backstab me in my sleep if old

I love this shit. I played Shadowbane, an early proto-EVE Online, without all the spreadsheets and much more fantasy, and I remember the forum meltdowns when someone would bail on an alliance, take their city and join some other nation. Or when guilds wouldn't show up for siege defence and the flames would rise, both in-game and on the forums.

Gotta love video games.

5taquitos

I miss having the free time to play this game.

Actually, no I don't. It quickly consumed my life.

Still think about it from time to time though, no game has matched the experiences I've had in Eve.

LoveCake

I wish I had the time and skills to invest in EVE I really do.

There have certainly been some stories in this game, I wonder where this incident will end though?

Saw this the other day and while I've never played Eve, or really understand it, I always find these stories so interesting.

Dark Rider

the mocking cover song that was made lyrics:

In the style of "God's Gonna Cut You Down" by Johnny Cash
Lyrics, Vocals, Guitar - Ungaar
Lyrics: Myrrdin Calyx
Video: Cryo Huren

You can fly safe for a long time
Fly safe for a long time
Fly safe for a long time
Sooner or later Judge’ll cut you down

Go tell that pious traitor
Go and tell the content creators
Tell the badgers
The bees, and the
The back stabbers
Tell ‘em that Judge’ll cut you down

Well my goodness gracious, look at that front page
My heads in a spin from the panic and rage
The Judge went down on bended knee, gave up the empire to Mittani
In the dark of the night, he locked up the gate
Became goon vengeance in a twist of fate
He says it’s done for the greater good
Because if he didn’t do it then someone would!

Tell the badgers
The bees, and the
The back stabbers
Fly safe for a long time
Fly safe for a long time

Well you may think that you’re you’re thick as thieves
Fighting together in wars, flying together in fleets
But money talks, and ISK can sing
and greed will make a loyal man topple a king.

Fly safe for a long time
Fly safe for a long time
Tell the badgers
The bees, and the
The back stabbers

I miss having the free time to play this game.

Actually, no I don't. It quickly consumed my life.

Still think about it from time to time though, no game has matched the experiences I've had in Eve.

Yep. I was way too into eve. Some fantastic memories though.

Voror

I love stories from this game. At one of my old jobs I had a coworker who played a lot and he's explain how the game worked and stories he had to me at times.

I keep meaning to pick up that Empires of Eve book.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, that's a huge backstabbing. But apparently there are some kind of insurances in the game?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
No, he recorded the Co2 leader (his name is gigx) rage when found out and streamed it on twitch hoping that gigx would say unfortunate things which gigx did

so the one that got permmabanned is gigx the victim alliance leader

That's evil...and genius.

So he got banned for it?

No, the leader of the Corp that he stole from got banned because he was making Irl threats to the guy that stole the money. There's nothing in the rules of Eve that says you can completely backstab other players. In fact it's encouraged. There are people that make a "living" running scams in Jita (the games largest trading hub) chat.

Damn, that's a huge backstabbing. But apparently there are some kind of insurances in the game?

Not for this kind of theft. There's ship insurance that you can buy, but that only gives you a partial payout if your ship gets destroyed.

nightside

yes they lost all their sov outposts as a result

by the way the thread banner is Co2 capital keepstar after it was handed over to the imperium by the judge

Found. Impass.
Been ages since last time I checked the sov map.
But I get that goonswarm is involved?

Damerman

No, he recorded the Co2 leader (his name is gigx) rage when found out and streamed it on twitch hoping that gigx would say unfortunate things which gigx did

so the one that got permmabanned is gigx the victim alliance leader
Fuuuuuck.

Finessed the shit out of that.

Ploid 3.0

After reading Ready Player One, I think this stuff is the future, and it's so interesting. Watching people play it seems boring, but the player must be so immersed that they are willing to spend so much time in it and risk so much.

Top Bottom