• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVE: Valkyrie is coming to PS4, Oculus exclusive deal only aplies to the PC version

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hang on, the announcement trailer says this will release in 2014.

Does that not mean we're guaranteed that at least OR or Morpheus will release this year?

That trailer was made a while ago, when most assumed that OR would be hitting in 2014. I'm not sure I'd classify 2014 as 'guaranteed' - I think that's hugely unlikely for Morpheus, and perhaps also for OR - but I'm sure Valkyrie will be available at the launch of both units.

Seanspeed

Banned
Does imply that maybe Sony's unit will work on the PC?

What other reason is there for making EVE exclusive to the Oculus on the PC?

StuBurns

Banned

It's not even exclusive on PC, I wish I could find that quote from the other day.

It's exclusive by default, because no one else is going to be in the market when the Rift launches. It's more like Oculus are co-marketing as the must-play launch title I think.

Bundy

Banned
give me space shooters into my veins

I'm one of the biggest space-shooter/opera fans in the world ^_^
Sucked that it was a "dead genre" in the last years (decade).
But now, with VR / Project Morpheus...... DAMN!
This could be the glorious comeback of the space shooters/operas !!!!!

DieH@rd

Banned

"Exclusive for Oculus" means that EVE Valkyrie will not be playable on ordinary PC monitors. As of now it looks that Sony will not target PCs.

So far from the 3 space simulation games

• Eve Valkyrie
  • Star Citizen
  • Elite Dangerous

Eve announced for PS4, Star Citizen possibly coming, nothing yet from Elite Dangerous.

Man

Space Shooters and Horror are both making a big comeback with VR. My favorite genres. :)

Toxa

dude I love sci-fi I love shooters/opera haven't played a lot of them most of them are on PC but Colony wars or rogue leader were amazing I need more of this on console

Seanspeed

Banned
It's not even exclusive on PC, I wish I could find that quote from the other day.

It's exclusive by default, because no one else is going to be in the market when the Rift launches. It's more like Oculus are co-marketing as the must-play launch title I think.

"Exclusive for Oculus" means that EVE Valkyrie will not be playable on ordinary PC monitors. As of now it looks that Sony will not target PCs.
Ok, that makes sense. So Oculus just helping them out, basically.

Sounds good!

Interesting that this is going to have VR support on PS4. Looks like Sony is pushing VR early.

Super excited for it, anyways. It will probably make me buy a 2nd/3rd gen Rift.

StuBurns

Banned
Ok, that makes sense. So Oculus just helping them out, basically.

Sounds good!
Here's the quote I was looking for:

GamesBeat: How exclusive is it to Oculus? In what way is it best on Oculus?

Petursson: It’s exclusive on the Oculus, on the PC. It’s the only announced platform. Oculus is the only VR platform out.
http://venturebeat.com/2014/02/21/w...t-oculus-rift-needs-to-take-flight-interview/

Seems like if you don't lean towards Rift, sooner or later any other PC VR system will be support, Rift are just first because they're first.

Carlow

EVE Spacefighting on PS4 in VR

0510_rvufy.gif

QFT, as somebody that has played eve on and off since beta, can't wait for this. :)

Seems very cool, did Sony hint at release date for the PS unit? My initial reaction is that it is still a long way from release.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Seems very cool, did Sony hint at release date for the PS unit?

Nope, just 'as soon as possible', but I'd wager 2015.

Something tells me they want more feedback before locking in a target release window, hence this GDC intro. If their assumptions need revising based on feedback that could put a schedule out of kilter.

spwolf

Nope, just 'as soon as possible', but I'd wager 2015.

Something tells me they want more feedback before locking in a target release window, hence this GDC intro. If their assumptions need revising based on feedback that could put a schedule out of kilter.

i am surprised how complete it looks though - it looks like showcase device, not developers kit... it might be coming end 2014. And it doesnt need huge launch, doesnt need billion games at launch.

Marc

A space sim on PS4? Hnnng... finally... wanted this for so long.

Although because it is EVE, is this online only? If so, dreams dashed. :(

VR as well, god, this could easily be the gaming golden generation.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
i am surprised how complete it looks though - it looks like showcase device, not developers kit... it might be coming end 2014. And it doesnt need huge launch, doesnt need billion games at launch.

I agree to the extent that depending on dev/user feedback, it might be software support that pushes it out to 2015. The design does already look quite usable although I guess we'll get first hand impressions of comfort later.

I think the star citizen guys said they would only even consider it if Sony were to not dumb it down. The want a ton of peripheral, joysticks etc to be usable

Hasn't Sony been okay with pretty much any peripheral working with the their consoles? Of course it'd be up to that studio to get those companies to make the drivers that would make a flight stick compatible with the PS4.

Damn that looks good, had zero interest in VR until this one, might have to pick one up now, sorry XBox One, I'll most likely choose the VR headset over your Kinect lol.

SparkTR

I think the star citizen guys said they would only even consider it if Sony were to not dumb it down. The want a ton of peripheral, joysticks etc to be usable

No, they said they'd consider it if they're allowed instant updates (no certification) for the cross-platform multiplayer aspect. That hasn't yet been done on a console before, even Sony's own studios (SOE) are forced to have separate servers due to cert.

So far from the 3 space simulation games

• Eve Valkyrie
  • Star Citizen
  • Elite Dangerous

Eve announced for PS4, Star Citizen possibly coming, nothing yet from Elite Dangerous.

Valkyrie is a space combat game, not simulation. The other games simulate a living universe, Valkyrie is basically MP combat arenas. There's also Enemy Starfighter and No Man's Sky.

So... can this be played without the VR?

I like the idea of a new space shooter, but not one that'll require an expensive peripheral to play.

After that past failure they really should have.

However many times you fail, you should always keep trying.

I'd have thought someone with a post history like yours would understand this :)

iceatcs

So... can this be played without the VR?

I like the idea of a new space shooter, but not one that'll require an expensive peripheral to play.

Not sure, but it doing 2 screens - one is people who can watch on monitor/HDTV showing the overall battle view, and the other screen for headset. Both are not same pictures.

Bookoo

When they previously talked about this, they did confirm the exclusivity didn't include consoles, but they also suggested it wasn't forever on PC either, I think it will come to non-Rift VR units on PC.

Ya this isn't really surprising. Early on they wouldn't even confirm the platform it would be on.

iceatcs

When they previously talked about this, they did confirm the exclusivity didn't include consoles, but they also suggested it wasn't forever on PC either, I think it will come to non-Rift VR units on PC.
Deffo, I believe it will support Sensics Panoramic VR Headset too.

Jackpot

Banned
They could easily just go in and create 1st person models of the various ships in the game, and then add that into Eve Online as a view change option.

EVE models are damned polished but they're designed for an RTS level of detail and the textures don't really hold up at close range.

As far as I can tell, the ships you're piloting in Eve Online aren't the same scale as the ones in Eve Valkyrie. The ships in Valkyrie are basically the size of Combat Drones in Eve Online.

I was going to say the Valkyrie fighters looked a little big compared to that Archon model. In EVE they scale together well.

Top Bottom