• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Even with the EGS exclusivity, Borderlands 3 seems to be 2K`s highest selling PC game on PC.

Sentenza

That is Take-Two which is the parent company that includes 2K and Rockstar ...I think , I always get 2K an Take-Two mixed up .2 many 2s
Oh, right. I made the same mistake.
Well, looking at the other 2K franchises that's not as impressive as a record as I thought at first then. Borderlands 2 was most likely already their best PC success before this.

EDIT - I guess they also have XCOM (not as big) and Civilization (which I actually almost expected to compete with Borderlands in notoriety).

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
Borderlands became a massive franchise after BL2 so this news proves the thirst was real. Even EGS exclusivity couldn’t stop it.

Reactions: Isa

Dontero

Banned
Boycotts don't work, as if that wasn't obvious already.

While they might be some truth to it, boycots require people.
It was obvious from start that this was just angry steam fanboys having a fit over losing important game to steam.
Which meant that none of them would buy game either way.

One thing is sure though. The idea that using different shortcut to launch game would make huge difference to people was always ludicrous. If people would be this easily angered by such trivial things most of people would never play on PC or consoles because you know, you need to go to store, travel by car, pick up game, install it then maybe patch it and yeahh...

johntown

Banned
One thing is sure though. The idea that using different shortcut to launch game would make huge difference to people was always ludicrous. If people would be this easily angered by such trivial things most of people would never play on PC or consoles because you know, you need to go to store, travel by car, pick up game, install it then maybe patch it and yeahh...
It probably does not make any difference to people who have no friends or don't care about extra features. To say it is only a shortcut is moronic and shows you really have no clue.

Sure 5 million is a good number but across all platforms really does not tell us much. I would like to know the number sold on PC. What this does not tell us is of course the number on PC and we will never know how many people are waiting for the Steam release. If it was 100k on PC who is to say that another 100k or more are not waiting for the Steam release.

That is just it. No one side can really claim victory here due to lack of data.

The only way I will concede is to find out the number sold on EGS and then wait 6 months and see the number sold on Steam once it releases there. Until then no one can claim boycotts don't work as there is no data yet to reach that conclusion.

I think it will sell better on Steam than EGS and we will see in 6 months.

Did someone in their right minds believe otherwise?

Let's be honest those who do not like EGS, are only a small amount of people who believe they are entitled to have the games they like on a different store, most people do not care about it. People will purchase where the game is available, cheaper or free.

Dane

No shit, all those people ended up doing was promoting EGS indirectly. Most of the arguments were basically they wanting Steam monopoly rather than explaining that their business model is pushing back Steam versions at the last minute for cash.

Also Borderlands is a big franchise.

It's the fastest selling game *under the specific 2K label *in a random 5 days interval.
The 2K label also includes Bioshock, XCOM, Mafia, Sid Meier, Battleborn and, uh, NBA and Army Men.
I assume either Borderlands 2 or BioShock Infinite was the previous fastest seller.

Let's be honest those who do not like EGS, are only a small amount of people who believe they are entitled to have the games they like on a different store, most people do not care about it. People will purchase where the game is available, cheaper or free.
Had Epic not done scummy shit, I wouldn't have cared because I am all for competition. It's what they've been doing that I am boycotting.

It probably does not make any difference to people who have no friends or don't care about extra features. To say it is only a shortcut is moronic and shows you really have no clue.

Sure 5 million is a good number but across all platforms really does not tell us much. I would like to know the number sold on PC. What this does not tell us is of course the number on PC and we will never know how many people are waiting for the Steam release. If it was 100k on PC who is to say that another 100k or more are not waiting for the Steam release.

The only way I will concede is to find out the number sold on EGS and then wait 6 months and see the number sold on Steam once it releases there. Until then no one can claim boycotts don't work as there is no data yet to reach that conclusion.

I think it will sell better on Steam than EGS and we will see in 6 months.

lyvV8Au.jpg

iorek21

It's the fastest selling game *under the specific 2K label *in a random 5 days interval.
The 2K label also includes Bioshock, XCOM, Mafia, Sid Meier, Battleborn and, uh, NBA and Army Men.
I assume either Borderlands 2 or BioShock Infinite was the previous fastest seller.

Yep, and consider that the last big release from them was.... Bioshock Infinite back in 2013 (Mafia 3 doesn't count, really).

Lots changed since then, these numbers mean nothing

But yeah, of course, everybody knew that BL3 would sell well, question is: how well?

MMaRsu

Banned
So, despite all the internet chatter Randy and Epic stay winning... Its almost as if all the controversy is actually just a storm in a teacup.

Yeah because everyone would choose to buy it on egs if it was available everywhere.

No they wouldnt. This is what you get when you hold games hostage. You only have 1 choice. Buy it on egs or not at all.

MMaRsu

Banned

No they are not. People like you try to steer the narrative that way, but its factless, baseless bullshit.

Normal people? What the fuck is normal? People who dont have a huge collection of games on Steam? Console fanboys trying to stir up shit by proclaiming they are pc gamers and never use Steam? Fortnite only pc kiddos?

Get off your high horse 😂
Normal people mean they do not CARE about silly thing ideology on where they buy game. They buy games to play, not to worry about how they launch the game, nor do they care about friendlist or w/e stupid things steam have.

Can we even trust those or any numbers ?
In this age, when one can easily buy followers for their Tweets, when Disney can buy seats for it's movies (see the empty Captain Marvel theaters)... would it really come as a surprise for Epic/Tencent doing the same ?
Are numbers still relevant ?

Kerlesly

Neo Member
No shit, all those people ended up doing was promoting EGS indirectly. Most of the arguments were basically they wanting Steam monopoly rather than explaining that their business model is pushing back Steam versions at the last minute for cash.

Also Borderlands is a big franchise.

You just hit the nail bro.. I mean whenever I read about this situation I never understood why "we" had to boycott EGS. Am a ps4 guy so if had the opportunity thats my only option:messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_grinning_sweat:.
But honestly I dont care about compan y policies if I like a game I play it.. When discounted :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Reon

They can sell as many copies as they want but it still doesn't make Borderlands 3 a good game

Can we even trust those or any numbers ?
In this age, when one can easily buy followers for their Tweets, when Disney can buy seats for it's movies (see the empty Captain Marvel theaters)... would it really come as a surprise for Epic/Tencent doing the same ?
Are numbers still relevant ?

We can't, they purposefully obfuscate numbers even in this announcement to make it sound better than it actually is. It's the same way where Microsoft refuses to report the number of XBL subscribers and instead focuses on "hours played" since it's a bigger number and is easy to look impressive.

Last edited:

CyRuZ

Banned
There will always be some braindead people who buy everything regardless. Or how can you explain the success of Justin Bieber or Tekashi 69. World is already overrun by (consume) zombies.

Just look how they hyping the new cod despite activision being the most greedy and lying scumbags they are. They have the memory ability of fruit flies.

Last edited:

Digity

Even if I got the game for free I still wouldn't use the EGS launcher.
My account has already been compromised on EGS lol. Someone from Israel was trying to get access, two step verification stopped it but I can only imagine the amount of people that don't have it and already have other people accessing their account.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
At the end of the day, people just want to play video games. i didnt want to spend $60 to play control when even the console versions launched for $50, but i had no choice. i am sure people who waited 7 years to play a new borderlands game didnt care which store it was on.

No they are not. People like you try to steer the narrative that way, but its factless, baseless bullshit.
How it is "factless, baseless bullshit." Developers are going to EGS due to their cut, people purchase games there, that is the truth. Those things other people do not like (how business was done) no one cares, yes there are people who do not like EGS due to different things, but the majority of people do not know or do not care.

Vawn

Banned
Great to hear. Epic has been giving lots of great incentives to both gamers and publishers - free games and less profit hoarding.

Tygeezy

I don't think Epic game store is as bad as people make it out to be.... It bothered me that there wasn't a preload and I thought for sure the game servers would be hammered at bl3 release. I downloaded and installed the game in less than 20 minutes though. It still sucks for people with slow internet, and that feature should absolutely be present.

I don't think its fair to compare all the features it's missing that steam has.. I've had steam since 2003. The epic store hasn't been around that long so of course it wont have features like work shop, trading cards ect.

I haven't had any issues with it. The downloads have been fast, friends list is functional, you get random free games. Windows store has been by far the worst out of all of the store fronts. I've had to restart downloads, redownload games, the speed has been slow, ect.

Tygeezy

5 milions for what feel like a fucking expansion with the same mediocre gunplay and shitty humor but a great game like control is probably under 500.000 copies.

Gamers :lollipop_sad_relieved:
Multiplayer games have proven over and over that on average they sell more and are played way more hours than single player games. Double so that control isn't an open world single player game. Borderlands also is a huge series while control is a new ip. I also disagree about mediocre gunplay, but each their own.

GymWolf

Multiplayer games have proven over and over that on average they sell more and are played way more hours than single player games. Double so that control isn't an open world single player game. Borderlands also is a huge series while control is a new ip. I also disagree about mediocre gunplay, but each their own.
It is better compared with the absolute shit it was in the past games, but still mediocre compared with the best in the genre.

Borderlands never was a saga with good, precise and satysfing gunplay, it's not the selling point of the game.

Absolutely right for the other things, but still burns man...

Woo-Fu

Banned
So, despite all the internet chatter Randy and Epic stay winning... Its almost as if all the controversy is actually just a storm in a teacup.
The data doesn't support that conclusion. You'll notice that they don't show the split between console and PC, or show the growth on console vs. the growth on PC. You know, numbers that would actually be useful in determining what effect---if any---going EGS exclusive had. They left those out for some reason, hmmmm.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned

of cource it is only shortcut. I click twice on BL3 and it turns of epic and borderlands and then i close them both. Same for steam. Why should i use any of those steam "features" ? why should i do it when i can just use discord which is cross platform and better platfrom for friends and community hub.

best selling take two title on PC which means it sold better than Borderlands 2 on steam. Considering Steam aks 30% and Epic 8% they probably easily offset their lower sales with lower cut. Welcome to competition.

aside from fat that it sold well and it didn't bomb like steam fanboys proclaimed it will.

Top Bottom