• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ever been attacked on the street?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yixian said:
Yes, central Liverpool is right up there with the most pleasant cities in the UK for me. Manchester is a lot better too now.

Yeah they're both pretty good, inner city... they're well policed, and in most bars and clubs, people just want to have a good time. I've really enjoyed myself in Manchester, though I've only been for a night out there about three times. I always assumed the Liverpool, Manchester rivalry would cause trouble for me, but a lot of people approached me just because of my accent, and were really friendly. I think in any city -- there are good places to be and bad places to be, obviously, but for the most part, people are essentially good. Its only ever dumb, drink or drug fuelled no-hopers who seem to cause trouble.

Yixian said:
Glasgow, Hull, London, Luton.. ugh. Seediness to the fucking maximum. Not so much Glasgow, that's just pure violence.

I haven't been to any of these barre London really. And I only ever seem to travel down there for gigs and what have you. I stayed in my mate's student diggs in South Kensington once or twice, which was quite nice.. but one night down there in the Leicester Sq, Soho areas after seeing Oasis had me on edge.

Someone got glassed or bottled in McDonalds. And it had door staff (bouncers) :lol the fact it happened isn't remotely funny, but in McDonalds?.

Christopher

Not attacked, but I've been started down and followed a lot - not to the point of someone staying for 10 mins like cloudwalking, but a lot of creepy shit.

Been attacked a couple of times, but nothing serious enough to be worth elaborating on.

There was one occasion where I attacked some people, though. My wife and I had just come out from a movie on George St in Sydney (Australia) and we were walking back to our car a few blocks from the cinema complex. Halfway there, a group of maybe four or five emo losers (you know, the thin, pasty-faced white folks with black leather and cheap white t-shirts, black and red stripes on everything, coloured hair that's matted to shit, eyeliner and eyeshadow etc) come round the corner. They're clearly off their faces on something, pushing, shoving, laughing like idiots. Everyone on the crowded Friday-night street (including us) is doing our best to stand out of their way.

For whatever reason, the pushing and shoving got more out of hand with these kids, and they started pushing each other on to the street and up against shop windows. Then one of them gets pushed, comes flying past and.... into my wife, who's practically bowled over (she's only 5'3"). She was already getting up and she was okay, but these kids did not even realise what they'd done - they were still carrying on like fucktards - and I lost it at them. I picked up the first guy by the scruff of the neck and flung his head against the brick wall; then I shoved the next one nearest into all of them, which put a few feet of open space between us.

At that point they realise something's amiss - they stop laughing and start pointing the finger at me like I've overreacted. What-ever. We walked back to the car and drove home, wondering all the while whether I'd overreacted.

Apharmd

benita316 said:
Yep.

I was in the main street in Edinburgh once when some punk started abusing a young indian girl, calling her all sorts of nasty things. She couldn't have been older than 12.

I told him to shut his mouth at which point in time he lunged at me. This guy was built like Kate Moss and i'm 6'4'', 240 so I don't know what he thought was going to happen.

I put him up against the wall and politely told him that hurling racial epithets at young schoolgirls was inappropriate at which time a couple of cops appeared from nowhere to separate us.

In the van they asked me what happened and I told the story at which time they asked the punk if it was true. He was proud of himself for some reason and confirmed the story and the cops let me go on the spot!

I must get it from my dad. One christmas eve he was doing some shopping and overheard some punk on his phone swearing about something or other. A lady nearby with her baby asked if he wouldn't mind toning down the language at which point he told her to fuck off.

It was then that my dad uttered the legendary line "Look mate, she's not going to fuck off, you're going to fuck off".

The gangster wannabe actually attacked my 60 year old father. During the scuffle he managed to grab the guy's phone out of his hand and hurl it down the middle of the shopping mall where upon landing it smashed into a billion pieces!

After the asshole scampered off to attend to his now shattered phone, my dad checked with the woman to see if she was ok.

It was at this time the ungrateful lady responded "I'm fine, but did you have to use such similar language"!!!!!!!

You have a total badass dad. My compliments.

unreon

ScientificNinja said:
At that point they realise something's amiss - they stop laughing and start pointing the finger at me like I've overreacted. What-ever. We walked back to the car and drove home, wondering all the while whether I'd overreacted.
You kind of did overreact, but I would've done the same.

I've seen these same emos, but they usually hang on the Town Hall steps opposite QVB. They never seem to be doing anything either; always just sitting down and talking about the most stupid drivel I've ever heard.

These stories make me really glad that I live in Sydney. I live in Cabramatta, one of the worst places, but I've never had a gun or knife pulled on me =/

Yixian

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:
I haven't been to any of these barre London really. And I only ever seem to travel down there for gigs and what have you. I stayed in my mate's student diggs in South Kensington once or twice, which was quite nice.. but one night down there in the Leicester Sq, Soho areas after seeing Oasis had me on edge.

Someone got glassed or bottled in McDonalds. And it had door staff (bouncers) :lol the fact it happened isn't remotely funny, but in McDonalds?.

I haven't experienced any first hand violence in London, but mates have, but in terms of seediness.. it's the world capital. Everywhere you look :lol

I live in Notts and it's pretty bad for trouble making chavs but there are never any knives or guns involved, unless you go out to St Annes or Meadows, where there are quite a lot of guns. It's from those areas that we get our reputation.

Kowak

Banned
I have been very lucky so far to have never had any violent confrontations(touch wood). Worse that is happened was when I was 13 and on a train through Tottenham(one of the rougher areas in London) and a 15 year old pulled out a kitchen knife. I would have said fuck off because i was with some friends, but because my cousin had been stabbed in the leg for not handing over his new versace shirt on the same train a few weeks earlier i just gave im the £2.

Yixian

Banned
Doesn't get much worse than:

port-01.jpg

The most beautiful shithole on Earth. I still <3 you Marseilles.

Kowak

Banned
Yixian said:
I haven't experienced any first hand violence in London, but mates have, but in terms of seediness.. it's the world capital. Everywhere you look :lol

I live in Notts and it's pretty bad for trouble making chavs but there are never any knives or guns involved, unless you go out to St Annes or Meadows, where there are quite a lot of guns. It's from those areas that we get our reputation.

London isnt that rough once you hit 18. Most of the violence is from bored kids. You are unliely to see any major violence round the west end because it is well policed. If you dont look for trouble you find it has beenmy experiance.

Yixian

Banned
Kowak said:
London isnt that rough once you hit 18. Most of the violence is from bored kids. You are unliely to see any major violence round the west end because it is well policed. If you dont look for trouble you find it has beenmy experiance.

Yeah that's probably true, similar for Notts, like I say I haven't experienced it myself and I've only been visiting regularly since the age of 19. But I'm told there are rougher parts.

I'm pretty oblivious to this sort of thing since spending time in central and east Africa where crime rates, particularly during the night, are just insane.

Kowak

Banned
Yixian said:
Yeah that's probably true, similar for Notts, like I say I haven't experienced it myself and I've only been visiting regularly since the age of 19. But I'm told there are rougher parts.

Well I live in Haringey, which has Tottenham in it, and borders with Hackney. Its pretty ethnically diverse and i have never had any trouble. I have mates in Hackney and dont worry about having to visit them. You will always get violence in big cities but its always concentrated. Most violence that occurs is between violent people towards each other. It always has to be remembered that when innocent people are killed in the violence it is an extreme that doesnt occur often.

Yixian

Banned
Kowak said:
Well I live in Haringey, which has Tottenham in it, and borders with Hackney. Its pretty ethnically diverse and i have never had any trouble. I have mates in Hackney and dont worry about having to visit them. You will always get violence in big cities but its always concentrated.

Some cities are more violent than others though. Look at HK, look at London and NYC. In this comparison you can't even bring population density into the argument.

Yeah, three lads attack me in a nightclub, that was fun, got kicked the the head and everything.

They got 4 years in prison though for good measure.

Another mate of mine has just woke up from a coma after being attacked by one lad in the same club.

Not surprised to see a lot people from the UK in this thread.

unreon said:
You kind of did overreact, but I would've done the same.

I've seen these same emos, but they usually hang on the Town Hall steps opposite QVB. They never seem to be doing anything either; always just sitting down and talking about the most stupid drivel I've ever heard.

These stories make me really glad that I live in Sydney. I live in Cabramatta, one of the worst places, but I've never had a gun or knife pulled on me =/

Consider yourself lucky. My cousin was attacked as he was leaving Epping station at about 5.30pm. A Triad kid swung a machete at his head. Apparently it was part of an initiation test. My cousin blocked it, and the blade went so deep that it got lodged in the bone. When the cops caught the guy (about 20 minutes later, apparently), they found another guy who was kidnapped in the trunk of the car.

suEcide

Tyrannical said:
I feel sorry for you people that live in cities, not being able to walk around safely at night.

Sorry. Wrong. My incident occurred in a town with a population of roughly 6-8'000 people. I've been in a city of over a 1'000'000 for 6 years now and not a single incident.

TEH-CJ

Banned
while i was waiting for the bus one day, Some big muscle man asked me for my psp or he said he would kill me. So i punched him in the nose.

yeah.

JimiNutz

Banned
ghst said:
A few times, worst was when a gang (6 guys maybe) jumped me outside an empty train station in Camden. They cornered me inside the station, I managed to break out to street level but they had a couple waiting at the entrance who grabbed me. Kept saying shit about how they were gonna cut me, and if i give them all my stuff it might not be as bad. In the fucking chaos and panic there was a moment when only one was holding my arm - and i was next to a main road - so i saw my chance and shoved a receipt into his other hand, said "that's a twenty thats all i've got" and in the second he looked down at it i broke his grip and ran straight into the middle of a busy four lane road, running for my fucking life until i caught up with a bus and just jumped on.

And just tonight, some cunt lifted my Ipod from my bag while it was in the cloakroom. There are some real fucking scum in London.

I was brought up in Camden and then moved to Bow when I was 14. Fun times were had. Luckily I started boxing when I was 10 although it didn't always help as people usually only start shit if they're in large numbers or carrying weapons.

Kowak

Banned
NutJobJim said:
I was brought up in Camden and then moved to Bow when I was 14. Fun times were had. Luckily I started boxing when I was 10 although it didn't always help as people usually only start shit if they're in large numbers or carrying weapons.

I have cousins who live in Queens Cresent, Kentish Town. Thats a rough area. My cousin was arrested a couple years back for kicking some dudes head in on CCTV.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
benita316 said:
I must get it from my dad. One christmas eve he was doing some shopping and overheard some punk on his phone swearing about something or other. A lady nearby with her baby asked if he wouldn't mind toning down the language at which point he told her to fuck off.

It was then that my dad uttered the legendary line "Look mate, she's not going to fuck off, you're going to fuck off".

The gangster wannabe actually attacked my 60 year old father. During the scuffle he managed to grab the guy's phone out of his hand and hurl it down the middle of the shopping mall where upon landing it smashed into a billion pieces!

After the asshole scampered off to attend to his now shattered phone, my dad checked with the woman to see if she was ok.

It was at this time the ungrateful lady responded "I'm fine, but did you have to use such similar language"!!!!!!!
awesome story.

JimiNutz

Banned
Kowak said:
I have cousins who live in Queens Cresent, Kentish Town. Thats a rough area. My cousin was arrested a couple years back for kicking some dudes head in on CCTV.

Really? That's where I was born (Malden Road.) I say Camden because I kind of live in between Camden and Kentish Town. Queens Cresent in a 5 min walk from my front door. The area has got a lot worse over the last few years. I moved to Bow when I was 14 to live with my Dad but I still go back to visit my Mum every now and then, and most of my friends and my older brother still live there.

Kowak

Banned
NutJobJim said:
Really? That's where I was born (Malden Road.) I say Camden because I kind of live in between Camden and Kentish Town. Queens Cresent in a 5 min walk from my front door. The area has got a lot worse over the last few years. I moved to Bow when I was 14 to live with my Dad but I still go back to visit my Mum every now and then, and most of my friends and my older brother still live there.

You know the Murphys by any chance?

dogonfire

I've never been attacked but I filed a false police report about being assaulted to get out of school one day. I was an asshole.

SonnyBoy

I had a group of guys approach me while I was walking to choir rehearsal. I was about 15 at the time and definitely could not have fought them all off. The speaker pointed towards an alley that lead back towards my house and told me to go into it. I walked with them for all off about 5 steps and bolted onto E. Coldspring lane (for you baltimore folks).

I'm a paritcularily fast cat and that added with adrenaline kept them pretty far off my tail. I think a ran for about 300 fulls throttle when I began to realize that I had about another half of mile until I reached the Church. So I spotted a pick up truck coming down the hill towards me and at the last moment, I latched onto it much to the surprise of the driver and his occupant. He was able to realize what was going on as it only took one shout from me to "keep driving".

So he let me off about 1/4 a mile from my house. I then jogged up to my older cousins house who all would have "rectified" the situation... Revenge wasn't what i was looking for, it was refuge... Sadly they weren't home so I eventually made it up to the Church where on that night I became best friends with a cat named Jamar who still holds that title till today.

NutJobJim said:

I have a few friends living in Queens Crescent, its a pretty bad area

The only time I've ever been in trouble was walking to a train station at night near Croydon. It was pitch black and completely dead and we walked past two Rastafarian guys playing reggae out of a shitty, beat up stereo who had these big steel pipes in their hands. They grunted at us as we walked past - I think they asked if we had any money - but we avoided eye contact, kept our heads down and walked on. I'm a big guy (6' 5"), my mate is also pretty big (6' 3") and we're both fairly stocky so I thought we would have been okay.

Then a few seconds after we passed them, one of them shouts "YOU FUCKING PRICK!" and starts running towards us with this huge fucking lead pipe in his hand. We both shit ourselves and ran, didn't stop 'til we got to the train station. Absolutely terrifying. Fortunately the train station wasn't that far and I felt really safe when I got there. I think I was banking on him not having an Oyster card lol

That's the only time I've been really scared, otherwise the worst I've had are muttered threats in the usual areas when I've been out fairly late (Seven Sisters, Finsbury Park, Elephant & Castle, etc). Thankfully I live in West London and it's fairly easy to stay out of trouble around there.

Never been personally attacked on the street. I did see one guy get jumped in front of me. Like five guys jumped out a car and just started wailing on him. I side-stepped and walked off. o_o

When I was nine I lived in Detroit, and our block was pretty bad. A bunch of bad kids lived a few houses down from me, and my dad always told me not to go over there. But every day during the summer I'd ride past their house on my bike. One day one of them blocked my way and said I needed to stop harassing their little sister

Creep: stay away from my sista
Me: Huh? I don't know what you're talking about, I'm just riding my bicycle
Creep: you do too ya dirty ass nicca
Me: Excuse me?
Creep: Mess with her again and imma fuck you up son

I had seen their sister a couple times but had never talked to her or given her any looks. And being the dumbass that I was, I decided to ride my bike past their house the next day. And the next day. Each time they'd yell stuff at me, and eventually I'd start yelling back. My little brother (who was 5 at the time) told my parents that I was riding past the "bad house", so I got in trouble and was told not to ride that way again.

So what did I do the next day? I got on my bike and started riding down that way. This time my little brother followed me on his tricycle, yelling "Re Re daddy said no!" I ignored him and came up to the house, but this time a couple of the kids from the house ran in front of me and grabbed my bike. They threw it on the ground then started pushing me

Creep: nigga what I say?
Me: Leave me alone, it's not your street
Creep: this is MY block son
Me: I don't see your ugly face on it
Creep: Oh hell naw

I was wearing a helmet, and one of them grabbed me by the strap and slammed me right into the sidewalk. At that point my brother started crying and telling them to leave me alone, and I told him to run home and get my dad.

Little brother: *crying*
Me: MARTIN GO GET DAD
Little brother: *crying*
Me: GO GET HIM

They dragged me onto the curve, threw my bike in the street, and started slamming my head into the ground; my helmet blunted most of the blows, but it still hurt. Eventually my brother sped off, but 5 minutes later I was still getting my ass beat with no help in sight. Cars were just driving by, and no neighbors were out. Finally they pulled my helmet off and slapped me with it, then their sister came out and laughed at me as I lay on the ground crying; I've had trouble with women ever since

When I got home my brother was hiding under the bed crying. :(

PhoenixDark said:
They dragged me onto the curve, threw my bike in the street, and started slamming my head into the ground; my helmet blunted most of the blows, but it still hurt. Eventually my brother sped off, but 5 minutes later I was still getting my ass beat with no help in sight. Cars were just driving by, and no neighbors were out. Finally they pulled my helmet off and slapped me with it, then their sister came out and laughed at me as I lay on the ground crying; I've had trouble with women ever since

When I got home my brother was hiding under the bed crying. :(

:lol :lol I'm sorry but I found it hilarious about your brother yet messed up about the girl.

Kowak said:
That's where I've lived since I was 7, and am living there right now. It can be very rough round here especially as it also catches all the late night drunkards and druggies from Camden heading home. But ever since they built a football pitch and basketball court just round the back of it the teenage violence dropped through the floor, go figure.

EDIT: I also work in Haringey, for North Mid Hospital.

Undeux

Got mugged on a bus in San Francisco, money and cell phone stolen. Not fun. Especially when I looked around and saw a full bus of people who didn't lift a finger to help, just watched the whole time. Assholes.

Nooreo

benita316 said:
Yep.

I was in the main street in Edinburgh once when some punk started abusing a young indian girl, calling her all sorts of nasty things. She couldn't have been older than 12.

I told him to shut his mouth at which point in time he lunged at me. This guy was built like Kate Moss and i'm 6'4'', 240 so I don't know what he thought was going to happen.

I put him up against the wall and politely told him that hurling racial epithets at young schoolgirls was inappropriate at which time a couple of cops appeared from nowhere to separate us.

In the van they asked me what happened and I told the story at which time they asked the punk if it was true. He was proud of himself for some reason and confirmed the story and the cops let me go on the spot!

YOu guys are real life heroes!, your story has inspired me to stand up for others.

Lakitu

st5fu
Outside a nightclub once, was a bit drunk so I don't remember too much, but I do remember laying down on the floor in a ball getting my ass kicked. Never felt that much of a pussy in my life before :(

Furio53

I'm surprised by the number of people who are getting their asses kicked :lol
I guess I don't get messed with too often, but I'm pretty built, and can fight. The last fight I was in was a while back but some guy thought I was hitting on his girlfriend at a bar (I guess I kinda was) and came and pushed me. (I hate pushers, they never accomplish anything) so I took one swing into his nose and upper lip and broke his nose, and he went down. I kinda surprised myself at how easy it was :lol
then i got kicked out... :(

SpacLock

SonnyBoy said:
I had a group of guys approach me while I was walking to choir rehearsal. I was about 15 at the time and definitely could not have fought them all off. The speaker pointed towards an alley that lead back towards my house and told me to go into it. I walked with them for all off about 5 steps and bolted onto E. Coldspring lane (for you baltimore folks).

I'm a paritcularily fast cat and that added with adrenaline kept them pretty far off my tail. I think a ran for about 300 fulls throttle when I began to realize that I had about another half of mile until I reached the Church. So I spotted a pick up truck coming down the hill towards me and at the last moment, I latched onto it much to the surprise of the driver and his occupant. He was able to realize what was going on as it only took one shout from me to "keep driving".

So he let me off about 1/4 a mile from my house. I then jogged up to my older cousins house who all would have "rectified" the situation... Revenge wasn't what i was looking for, it was refuge... Sadly they weren't home so I eventually made it up to the Church where on that night I became best friends with a cat named Jamar who still holds that title till today.

Page_1-1.gif

Guy Legend

benita316 said:
Yep.

I salute you.

JimiNutz

Banned
Giganticus said:
That's where I've lived since I was 7, and am living there right now. It can be very rough round here especially as it also catches all the late night drunkards and druggies from Camden heading home. But ever since they built a football pitch and basketball court just round the back of it the teenage violence dropped through the floor, go figure.

EDIT: I also work in Haringey, for North Mid Hospital.

Wow this is crazy. So far we've had 4 GAFers (including myself) that either live or know somebody that lives in Queens Crescent. Small internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom