• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ever notice recurring things in games that for some reason really irritate you?

KillaJamm

Does anyone else notice minor things in video games, be it graphical or by design, that for some reason really piss you off? For example I HATE it when weapons, hair or cosmetics clip through your characters clothing, as it can really ruin immersion for me. Like in AC Valhalla certain hair types clip through your hood and looks pretty dumb, this also happen's with Sam's hair in Death Stranding when it clips through his glasses. So has anyone else got any other hang ups that seem to annoy them?

ParaSeoul

Forced cautious stealth missions if I really want stealth I’ll play hitman but trying to jam them into a games chapter breaks up the momentum.
Basically
vuF88yWPSnDfmFJVTyNJpVwW.png

Forced cautious stealth missions if I really want stealth I’ll play hitman but trying to jam them into a games chapter breaks up the momentum.
You are absolutely right and they mostly play like shit. The Spider-Man, Life is Strange, Days Gone, RTCW or Sherlock Holmes stealth missions were super annoying. Also stealth kills in open world games are mostly ridiculous and feel like cheating. I'm absolutely fine with Hitman too, if i want stealth.

SenkiDala

Yes. Tutorials.
Yeah this, it's why I use game pass for games I REALLY wanna play, when I launch another game and 99% of times it's like 30 minutes of tutorials I mean fuck you I just got off of work I wanna PLAY and have fun. Those days it's sick tutorials are insanely long and too many.

Also I hate too much aliasing and flickering. For exemple when FFXII came out on PS2 to me it was just unplayable, literally, I couldn't play it so I stopped after like 5 hours, which is insane because FF is my favorite gaming series and t he one on which I spend most time. But it was so ugly... I didn't understand when most of review said "wow the game looks amazing one of the technically best looking video game ever". Was so glad when it came out in HD remastered.

Irobot82

Does anyone else notice minor things in video games, be it graphical or by design, that for some reason really piss you off? For example I HATE it when weapons, hair or cosmetics clip through your characters clothing, as it can really ruin immersion for me. Like in AC Valhalla certain hair types clip through your hood and looks pretty dumb, this also happen's with Sam's hair in Death Stranding when it clips through his glasses. So has anyone else got any other hang ups that seem to annoy them?

Lack of ragdoll.
Fucking clipping. It's 2021. Come on peeps. Dumb physics too.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Lack of ragdoll.

I can forgive clipping because thats computationally taxing to have every single object and piece of clothing have full physics and collisions.

But bodys not ragdoll'ing nah.
That just puts me out of it.....i know its more realistic for dead bodys to just drop once dead.....but its a videogame, I expect Hollywood level flying.

On Topic
A weird one thats very specific.....dynamic lights not casting shadows....whenever I see the effect an angel gets its wings.
If my gun is making these huge flashes or ive got a torch....how the F is it not casting any shadows?

Aesius

Games that have sections in caves, or anything else underground, for that matter. It’s often a boring barrage of scenery that I’m just dreading to play through.
Playing through the Metro series right now and…..yeah. They are still great games but man they are depressing.

They are also guilty of a few gaming sins I hate. Being knocked out in a scripted sequence and losing your equipment. And locked doors where you can’t shoot the padlock off. Come on! That’s game design 101.

Doom85

Games that have sections in caves, or anything else underground, for that matter. It’s often a boring barrage of scenery that I’m just dreading to play through.

Cave levels I’m usually fine with, but in terms of underground, I will say probably at least 90% of sewer levels are garbage. One exception I remember is Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, it had a pretty good sewer section.

KillaJamm

Framerate hitches due to automatic saving at checkpoints.

Let me manually save, for crissakes.
I hear that, Pathologic 2 on Console did this pretty much every 5 minutes, think it was just down to poor optimisation on the console though. Deadpools another example but that was due to it trying to send data to the server every 30 seconds, if you went offline it was fine lol

tommib

The cliping thing is really weird, but obligatory walking is the absolutely worst
Bro fist. A game with obligatory walking automatically loses one point in my mental score system. Shit is the worst and makes me want to die. Constant interruptions in first person with scripted camera movements taking over control is another: Metro games and Village. 🤢

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

I totally hear the OP about clipping, but I feel like it’s a really tough thing to solve. Especially as physics get more and more complex.

Like, a tyre clipping through the fender of a car after a crash for example, it’s hard to imagine exactly how the developer would mitigate such an issue given the random nature of procedural damage.

I absolutely get the issue, but I think it’s just something we’ll have to live with for now, given the presumed complexity of a solution.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
Shader cache related hitching. I am not running an emulator ffs. Just build the whole cache the first time I run the game.

Crafting/building/survival mechanics.
Long tutorials
The hard on Forza has with hoonigan ugly ass cars.

Top Bottom