• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ever notice recurring things in games that for some reason really irritate you?

KillaJamm

I have said this before in other threads, but man, being an introverted, singleplayer only focused kid sucked for a while, when many games had 'mandatory' co-op elements, and some even revolved around co-op as a whole.

Lots of games did this. Some of the latter Splinter Cells and Dead Space 3 (which admittedly already sucked) come to mind. I believe this was also the gimmick that Red Alert 3 had, though at least that had an AI when you played alone.

It felt like ass to reach a certain point in the game only to be locked out of certain paths and content with a big prompt that says CO-OP ONLY. (Sure, most of the time it was minor, and basically didn't even change the story, but still, it was irritating to me)
I get this sometime to this day, like I bought A Way Out to play with a friend but only did once and they didn't seem interested. Want to try It Takes Two but my brother plays on PC so no point in getting it.

KillaJamm

What I used to not care as much but do now: if a cutscene looks like gameplay .. let me frikkin play it.

And laong a similar vein: constant short "exposition" cutscenes that add nothing. Either do an actual cutscene or don't. Used to think Half Life 2 was not as good die to it not having cutscenes. But the way they do it is actually quite brillant
Halo infinite had loads of these moments, most cutscenes you could even move the camera around which was pretty cool but would of been cool to do that opening bit when you go through all the debris in space to reach the Infinity.

ljubomir

I noticed that in some Nintendo games (probably others too, but Mario Party specifically comes to mind), there is this weird transparency effect where the models don't get really transparent, but instead use a kind of pixelated / mosaic texture effect that just shows every other pixel opaque and creates this weird fake transparent pattern. I will have to find a screenshot, because describing it is kinda hard.
It's called "dithering" and was used heavily in the fifth generation because it worked well on CRTs.

Gifmaker

It's called "dithering" and was used heavily in the fifth generation because it worked well on CRTs.
Thanks! That's the one. I used to know the term a few years back, but I forgot about it. Yeah, it was a suitable method back then, but in 2021, I just find it unappealing to look at. But I suppose it saves hardware power somewhat because they use it so much?

Games with hidden items to look for, and the character with you is badgering you with comments like "Hurry up, or this way". Basically, I don't like being rushed.

Scenes that start off either pitch black or bright white.

Do three of something, which plagues all games.

Rubber band AI in racing games can do one as well.

Last edited:

ljubomir

Thanks! That's the one. I used to know the term a few years back, but I forgot about it. Yeah, it was a suitable method back then, but in 2021, I just find it unappealing to look at. But I suppose it saves hardware power somewhat because they use it so much?
Its very cheap, and on a CRT (especially through a composite signal) you don't really see the checkerboarding pattern. It's when you view it on an LCD it becomes noticable.

Last edited:
I hate texture pop-in, screen tearing, grainy reflections and games that can't hold a solid frame rate.

I can't even play RE7 on console because there are so many textures that take forever to load. Also, yes I tried playing it on PS5 too and it's no better. Even TLOU2 does this on PS4/PS5 as well. Not to the same extent as RE7, but some textures take literally minutes to load. I have a vide of it.

This isn't the only area of the game where it happens either.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
- Invisible walls. My character is an action hero who does 4 meter double jumps, is strong enough to beat a hole in a concrete wall with his bare knuckles and he's also carrying rocket launchers, but somehow that knee-high wood beam stops him from going forward and he needs to go on a 5 hour quest to find a guy who has a wood saw to help, but not before having to fetch 5 different things for his wife.
Either make it a believable obstacle or don't write it into the game at all and pretend the main character is missing some other mcguffin. Otherwise it's just lazy writing and game design.

- Unskippable boot logo. I paid for the game so it's really not okay for you to make me watch 20 seconds worth of ads every time I boot your game. You're just making me not want to play it or pay for its sequel.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Basically everything that Naughty Dog has done post Uncharted 2.

I totally recognize their talent but the games just come off as pretentious melo-drama nonsense. Too much forced walking/dialogue too. Their games just irritate the shit out of me and that's why I don't play them. Props to those who love their games. Not trying to be a hater.

forced walking, fuck i hate that SOOOO much.

Bro fist. A game with obligatory walking automatically loses one point in my mental score system. Shit is the worst and makes me want to die. Constant interruptions in first person with scripted camera movements taking over control is another: Metro games and Village. 🤢

This is due to last generation's slow hard drives. Sometimes they force the player to walk so the upcoming parts can load while still giving the player control instead of just forcing another cutscene. Tomb Raider does this a lot by having her call Jonah while you slowly walk while she talks to him.

They also use mundane tasks such as lifting a fallen tree, removing a wooden board in a door way, getting a ladder, moving a dumpster, crawling through small gaps etc to hide loading as well.

This should no longer be a thing unless they intentionally do it just to change the pacing of the game.

KillaJamm

Games with hidden items to look for, and the character with you is badgering you with comments like "Hurry up, or this way". Basically, I don't like being rushed.

Scenes that start off either pitch black or bright white.

Do three of something, which plagues all games.

Rubber band AI in racing games can do one as well.
Guardians of the Galaxy handled the top point in the best way, they just banter about how Peter just wonders off and gets 'lost' lol

Top Bottom