Every City should stop observing Columbus Day to make Election Day a holiday.

Nintendo Switch

ESRB rating: Early Childhood (EC)
Oct 27, 2017
Sandusky, Ohio just did this: https://thehill.com/homenews/state-...ving-columbus-day-make-election-day-a-holiday

Imagine if more cities in swing states voted to make election day a holiday. Miama, FL, Cleveland, OH, Des Moies, Iowa follow Sandusky to make election day a city holiday. You get the picture.

If liberal cities in key swing states make election day a holiday, how would Republicans respond? Would they have no choice but to make it a holiday for everyone?

What would the practical implications be?

Multiple polls indicate that Americans overwhelmingly support moving Columbus Day to election day in order to make it easier for working people to vote. However, Republican leadership in the senate has consistently blocked every effort to do so.

How would Republicans react if cities across the country started to make this change on their own? Would Republicans get angry about this, as this would mean that more urban full time workers could vote, given that urban voters tend to vote for democrats?

Would Republicans essentially be forced to back the proposals to make election day a holiday for everyone, just to balance things out?

Last edited:

Nintendo Switch

ESRB rating: Early Childhood (EC)
Oct 27, 2017
It should be a holiday since there's no standards. Good thing I have mail-in ballots. That should be the bottom standard.
Yes. Most americans agree that Election Day should be a holiday.

But every time it was attempted at a federal level, republicans blocked it. This gives democrats a way around this block. Democratic city governments could vote to make election day a holiday for each of their cities.

Imagine if more cities in swing states voted to make election day a holiday. Miama, FL, Cleveland, OH, Des Moies, Iowa. You get the picture. If cities in swing states make election day a holiday, Republicans would have no choice but to make it a holiday for everyone.

Jan 12, 2009

But every time it was attempted at a federal level, republicans blocked it. This gives democrats a way around this block. Democratic city governments could vote to make election day a holiday for each of their cities.

Imagine if more cities in swing states voted to make election day a holiday. Miama, FL, Cleveland, OH, Des Moies, Iowa. You get the picture. If cities in swing states make election day a holiday, Republicans would have no choice but to make it a holiday for everyone.
That would be great!

Oct 1, 2006

People have literally weeks to vote, by their method of choice, any day of the week.

If someone is so lazy that they can't do it by then, we aren't missing much by them not voting.

Jan 26, 2009
I wish it was a holiday so i could time in a half at work for that day. We do I.T. security and it’s mandatory to work part of the day. I doubt it would change voter turn out greatly but in some instances it would have an impact so I’m not against it.

Oct 1, 2006
Do it on a Sunday like in Germany :p
We already do. There are weeks for any person to vote if they want.

Arbeit macht frei, eh?
lol joke response, and you leave out the key point - we already have weeks to vote. It is an incrediably lenient, friendly system.

It's not my fault if someone is too lazy and unconcerned to vote in the literal weeks of time allowed under early voting. I've never missed voting, and I travel constantly out of state for my job. Take 30 min and go vote. There is no one who lacks that much time.

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
Really. Just because they used it doesn't mean it is now useless. It predates them. Unless that is you choose to give them that much power over you, even from the grave.

Language is a tool, i'm not going to throw it away because Nazis used it 75 years ago. Would you not use shovels because they dug foxholes with them?

Personally I don't see what the issue is with Election Day being a holiday. Seems like the prevailing opinion is that Columbus is no longer somebody to revere so it isn't like we're scratching another day off of our GNP.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018
How about this: They MUST have valid ID to vote but also thousands of locations with a large amount of hours open in order for people to come and get IDs.

what a stupid 'negotiation' lol
The problem: if they are so poor they cannot afford id then it meant they are on government support. IIRC you need some kind of government id to get anywhere.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
Just because it is a holiday doesn't mean that everyone will have the day off...

Oct 1, 2006
Via mail? Or actually where you can go to a place and vote? If so where is even the problem here?
We have a little more two full weeks (weekdays AND weekends) of in-person early voting every election (primary, general, etc.) in TN. AFAIK that is standard elsewhere in the US as well. I think there are variations in mail-in ballot policy, but that is an option as well.

The argument that people are being "prevented from voting" by "Election Day" not being a federal holiday is complete bullshit with zero evidence. Why would I expect a large increase in voters from one extra day, when that day just represents 6% increase in available time to vote? If people won't take 30 minutes and go to the polls on an off day in a two week period, TBH they obviously don't give a shit about voting.

The "Election Day" narrative is just another victimhood narrative - "Those mean rich/racist/sexist/blah blah blah people don't want you to vote! Why won't they let you vote on this day and get paid time off!"

As you can see, I got implied to be a concentration-camp loving Nazi:

Arbeit macht frei, eh?
for pointing out the obvious.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018
It shouldn't be a mutually exclusive situation. Columbus is historically important and people recognize his relevance more than his personality during that holiday but yes, the man was very flawed.