• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every Game Designer in the World Thinks DualSense Is a Lovely Toy, Says Arkane Dev.

thelastword

Banned
The DualSense controller for PlayStation 5 isn't even out, and yet several developers have already publicly expressed their love and excitement for the successor of the DualShock controller.

In a video interview with IGN, Arkane's Dinga Bakaba (Game Director of Deathloop) discussed the PlayStation 5 features of the upcoming game, among which the haptics feedback and active triggers of the DualSense are a perfect match to enhance immersion in Deathloop.

Having higher fidelity on screen and make the team's work shine in a way that never did before is really exciting.
Of course I mentioned the frame rate before, I think that's really important. Until now, our games on consoles have always been locked at 30 frames per second. Being able to target 60 FPS for an action game is very exciting. I think that's a real boost, but also something we're really excited about is the controller DualSense. It's got a lot of nice features, with the haptics feedback and the active triggers. We're a first person game, we really value immersion a lot in our games and being able to really feel the weapon in your hands, its reaction, how it reloads, how it reacts to reloading... I think every game designer in the world that got their hands on the DualSense think it's a lovely toy, and I think that the players will also enjoy those functionalities. For us, again, targeting immersion it's a really nice opportunity we're excited about, so between power and the controller, it's very, very exciting.
The 'assassin action game' Deathloop is scheduled to hit PC and PlayStation 5, where the game will be a console exclusive at launch (just like Ghostwire: Tokyo, another game published by Bethesda), later this year. It'll feature a unique 'iterative campaign' as well as Dark Souls-style PvP invasions.

https://wccftech.com/every-game-des...ks-dualsense-is-a-lovely-toy-says-arkane-dev/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another 4K 60FPS game on the PS5, utilizing it's haptic feedback controller as well...

tommycronin

Hopefully 3rd party devs make good use of it this gen. The most we got this gen w was scrolling through a map of a game and it being at 30fps was awful youd have better tracking with the ps2 eye toy.

The sad truth. But we mustn't give up hope.
I really believe that if Cerny give tools to the devs, they will use. Just like I believe sound engineers must be excited to have the Tempest Engine to do their work instead of fighting for a fraction of a CPU core. Maybe the same is true for the rumble guy...

Birdo

Banned
Devs to the DualSense:

tenor.gif

So they will support gyro aiming, yes?

The visuals look decidedly current gen, but maybe they went next gen exclusive because they couldn't do 60 fps on the PS4 then.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I really believe that if Cerny give tools to the devs, they will use.
Most multiplatform developers won't because it just makes their life more difficult since the other platforms might not have the same features, just like how pretty much none of them used Gyro aiming or the trackpad on the PS4 or the Rumble Triggers in the XB1.

MrS

Banned
Sony should mandate that every game on the platform must make use of the controller's full feature set. I'd love to see it.

I think this is a good sign that 3rd parties might, i can't stress it enough, might take advantage of it's features. Since, Arkane is a 3rd party dev. I wonder how difficult it is to implement these features into your game. I think that could play a big role in it. If it's really hard to implement, what's the point?!? We'll see I guess.

Man, I really want to get hands on time with this thing and see what it's all about!

onQ123

This is the 3rd generation of IMU & Bluetooth wireless

2nd generation of touchpad , speaker & visual color feedback

1st generation of adaptive triggers , built in mic & voice coil hepatic feedback

If nothing else the tech is advancing & the tools should be a lot better & devs should have experience with some of the tech & at least thought of things to do with it.

RCU005

And watch them all do nothing with it.

You won the thread!

Every developer should've already had gyro-aiming as standard, yet no one uses the gyroscope.

I remember when Gravity Rush released for the PS Vita. It was the perfect example of how to use the system's features, yet no one did it!

Too bad Sony themselves don't care at all.

PresetError

Neophyte
Sadly it's true third party developers don't like to complicate their lifes taking advantage of controller features.

I think Ghost of Tsushima is the first party game that took better advantage of the touch pad in the DualShock4 and it's practically the last game on the PS4.

Freeman

Banned
Sadly it's true third party developers don't like to complicate their lifes taking advantage of controller features.

I think Ghost of Tsushima is the first party game that took better advantage of the touch pad in the DualShock4 and it's practically the last game on the PS4.
Xbox holding everybody back with their lackluster controller missing basic features.

Shmunter

They used it with Infamous for spray painting, including shaking the controller like a spray can.

Esca

hope it actually is cool.

I'm still pissed Sony didn't put back paddles on the new controller. I thought for sure it was going to have it with them releasing the back paddle add on for the ds4

ZehDon

I look forward to reading about how adaptive triggers were a useless, barely used, wisely abandoned, feature 10 years from now.

Last edited:

Tomeru

I look forward to reading about how adaptive triggers were a useless, barely used, wisely abandoned, feature 10 years from now.

Thats not a reason not to try something like this. It could be amazing/terrible, but atleast they are trying to give you something more.

Dev with a marketing deal and 1 year exclusivity is hyping said platform. Who'd thought. I have no interest in this game and still no clue what it really is. I sure hope Arkane Austin is making a Dishonored 3 or Prey 2, as i find those far more interesting than this game.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Sony should mandate that every game on the platform must make use of the controller's full feature set. I'd love to see it.

Yeah forcing all devs to use the gimmikcs in your gamepad sound a like a brilliant idea...i'm sure they will be all on board :ROFLMAO:

BigLee74

Well, it looks like a toy, so I guess the cap fits?

And on a serious note, you have to admire the features. MS definitely played it a lot safer with their new controller.

Well at least it will feel much better when you tape down the control stick in gt sport and rub along the rails while sitting on the controller

but seriously sounds like marketing speak for a features which are already available on other controllers....may wanna put this one in the box with six axis

Last edited:

vkbest

So they will support gyro aiming, yes?

The visuals look decidedly current gen, but maybe they went next gen exclusive because they couldn't do 60 fps on the PS4 then.

I think the problem is MS gamepads don't have Gyro, (don't know about XSEX gamepad but I think XSEX will have not Gyro too, I remember a change.org asking to MS adding Gyro to XSEX gamepad), so third parties are not supporting because they don't want huge differences on control and mantain similar code.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Yeah forcing all devs to use the gimmikcs in your gamepad sound a like a brilliant idea...i'm sure they will be all on board :ROFLMAO:
Ban them from the console if they don’t cooperate. Market leader doing market leader things.

Shmunter

I think the problem is MS gamepads don't have Gyro, (don't know about XSEX gamepad but I think XSEX will have not Gyro too, I remember a change.org asking to MS adding Gyro to XSEX gamepad), so third parties are not supporting because they don't want huge differences on control and mantain similar code.
Yeah, MS fucked us...AGAIN

Bad Microsoft!

Last edited:
Top Bottom