• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every GTX 1080 at launch will *only* be Founder's Edition.

There is a chance - however small - that details on custom coolers are under an NDA which is due to expire in the next day. Hopefully.

I paid $50 piece more for a set of reference 970s. My PC case isn't too third-party-gpu friendly since they exhaust heat inside the case, from an SLI perspective, reference cards exhausts heat towards the back of the gpu (outside the case). One would been fine temperature wise, but i needz me two of deez.

Gonna have to spend the extra $200 and get the Founders editions. Smh

I like my case too much to get a different one too (fractal design define r4).

longdi

Banned
Im more surprised at the low to no outrage against Nvidia for announcing $599/379 skus that we are unlikely to see.

Makes no economic or marketing sense for Nvidia partners to go lower than $699/449 for their fancy customed heatsinks and supersized pcb boards.

Teletraan1

Banned
I am already going to get gouged being in Canada so now it is a double gouge. I have waited long enough for these stupid cards I will wait longer and maybe even until the Ti version rears its head at this point. It might just be -1 sale from me now and I was ready to fork over whatever prior to the way they handled this whole mess.

How does anyone think the reference cooler is worth a $100 mark up. Unless you think it's recouping R&D for the cooler design. Even then it's not like the AIB card coolers are free.

Jeez this is a shitty move now matter how predictable it was. Sometimes you want to hope that a company doesn't go out of its way to be assholes and just get let down, you know?

+1 to the sentiment that it may be months before we ever see a $599 1080 or $379 1070 on the market.

Whatever, it all comes down to the benchmarks which should be hitting later today/early tomorrow.

Phawx

Im more surprised at the low to no outrage against Nvidia for announcing $599/379 skus that we are unlikely to see.

Makes no economic or marketing sense for Nvidia partners to go lower than $599/379 for their fancy customed heatsinks and supersized pcb boards.

This very thread is the outrage, haha

Makes no economic or marketing sense for Nvidia partners to go lower than $699/449 for their fancy customed heatsinks and supersized pcb boards.

I remember 7970 were priced at $550 but didn't stop the likes of newegg charging $650-680 due to low stock. This type of shit would happen on the store side anyway so I'm just going to laugh and wait for the crazy people to get theirs..

Well I went from super hyped to very cool on getting a 1070 to the point that I'm really looking forward to seeing what AMD has. Even then if you look at past pricing the 70 series cards have launched at $400, so if they launched the 1070 at $400 you still wouldn't get one for that price for awhile and eventually it would drop to the $380 price point. To me it seems like the 290/290X were good cards at $400 and then Nvidia came with the 970 and undercut the fuck out of them. The 970 at $330 and being as close as it was to the 980 was a crazy value even with the 3.5GB ordeal.

eerik9000

They are charging $100 more as an early adopter fee. There is no difference between a Founder's Edition and a "regular" 1080.

Other than being $100 more.

So? It's a reference design, reference designs always come first. We don't even know what the actual custom designs are going to be and if the cheap ones are any good or not.

Papacheeks

Banned
Tough thing is that normally it's

- a cooling system/fan
- factory OC'd
- not $100 more than base/reference

This is Nvidia hammering the early adopters because they know they will pay and also because AMD is not doing anything competitive right now and they also know that.

Come May 27 you won't be saying that about AMD.

Phawx

So? It's a reference design, reference designs always come first. We don't even know what the actual custom designs are going to be and if the cheap ones are any good or not.

Nvidia have two prices during their presser. $599 MSRP was announced and $699 for the "Founder's Edition"

Both would be reference coolers. One is prettier. The prettier one is the only one on sale during launch and for a length of time afterwards.

Thinking about the numbers and supply, there probably will only be founder's editions for quite some time.

Why even mention a $599 MSRP?

bj00rn_

Banned
There's always fucking something............... Once I started settling on the thought of paying 599 (multiplied with eurotax..) for a 1080 in june to boost my VR stuff, then of course there's a curve ball like this coming my way..

Momentary

Banned
Let me tell you guys and gals something about that 599 price tag...

You'll never see it that low.

I'm getting my wallet ready for that $799 Ti.

tokkun

This is just NVIDIA getting a slice of the scarcity pie they created.

1. Launch several products at a shortage
2. Watch as people resell said product at a premium
3. Competitor becomes complacent and not very relevant in the market
3. Knowingly design the product launch to cause shortage position.
4. Manufactured shortage situation now becomes profitable for NVIDIA

I blame AMD.
This is the behavior of a company when there is no viable competition.

The "intentional shortage" part seems like tinfoil hat territory.

Let me tell you guys and gals something about that 599 price tag...

You'll never see it that low.

I'm getting my wallet ready for that $799 Ti.

Umm hate to break it to you, but if a 1080 FE is $699 you ain't getting a 1080Ti anywhere short of a grand.

First thing I thought of when I saw this thread:

WSJH861.jpg

Can't wait for the 1499$ Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti.

Jokes aside, I think the supply of GDDR5X is so limited Nvidia won't have a lot of 1080 cards available so they're trying to limit the early demand by making this cash grab. I bet we won't see 599$ 1080's until July earliest.

Hawk269

Does anyone know what time the embargo is up and reviews can be released? Is it the usual midnight time frame or is there a certain time tomorrow that they are allowed to be released?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why wouldn't the third party cards come out at the same time? Or after a couple of weeks of the founders? You guys make it seem like we'll be waiting until July.

I'm sure EVGA will launch EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC+ GAMING ACX 2.0+, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 CLASSIFIED GAMING ACX 2.0+ within a week or two

spannicus

What does this post even mean?
It means i have no hope that AMD will put out anything good enough to combat what Nvidia is doing. I hope they do especially at a cheaper price but i doubt it.
I honestly dont like the way Nvidia prices these cards. They do it because they can.

This is just NVIDIA getting a slice of the scarcity pie they created.

1. Launch several products at a shortage
2. Watch as people resell said product at a premium
3. Competitor becomes complacent and not very relevant in the market
3. Knowingly design the product launch to cause shortage position.
4. Manufactured shortage situation now becomes profitable for NVIDIA

I blame AMD.
This is the behavior of a company when there is no viable competition.

This is literally exactly what AMD did with the Fury line at first, and what they did on the CPU side of things with their APU's (the latter ended up really hurting them). Nvidia isn't "manufacturing shortage" because the 16nm node these are being manufactured on is still very new, and their product yields are probably still pretty trash. Not to mention GDDR5X will be making its market debut and despite being a revision of GDDR5 could still be experiencing manufacturing growing pains.

paskowitz

People, please show some restraint and DON"T BUY THIS. Seriously, wait a month for AIB's like EVGA and Asus to release their cooler, faster and likely cheaper cards.

*Exceptions being you want immediate waterblock support or are working in a small form factor case.

Gattsu25

Banned
So what's the difference between Founder and Regular?

Founders editions are the reference models. Stock cooling and clock rates only. They will also remain more expensive than the non-reference cards that other manufacturers will eventually be coming out with.

I'd wait until non-reference cards are out before making the plunge-- at least, that's what I'm doing.

It means i have no hope that AMD will put out anything good enough to combat what Nvidia is doing. I hope they do especially at a cheaper price but i doubt it.

What specifically? So far other than the power of 1080/1070 the only thing that's super interesting is the multi view port stuff. Which while it sounds really cool we don't know how it's implemented. If it has to be programmed into the game it isn't guaranteed to be used. The first thing that made it suspicious was when using multiple monitors it can correct the field of view so the images line up, but how does it determine the angle of your monitors? So for me card that is as powerful as a 390X at $299 sounds pretty good especially if it can overclock well.

Top Bottom