• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every GTX 1080 at launch will *only* be Founder's Edition.

spannicus

I love all these low-blow AMD drive by posts.

Enjoy having your wallet raped by Nvidia with their deceptive marketing.

Waiting for Vega anyway.
Not a drive by post man. I would love for AMD to put out something even better than Nvidia at a better price. Sticking with my 980ti because i honestly cant see upgrading to this especially at the price nvidia is gonna charge. I would hold out for the 1080ti but im not.

Not a drive by post man. I would love for AMD to put out something even better than Nvidia at a better price. Sticking with my 980ti because i honestly cant see upgrading to this especially at the price nvidia is gonna charge. I would hold out for the 1080ti but im not.

That's because the 1080 isn't a replacement for the 980 Ti. It's a replacement for the 980.

Phawx

We can't buy it anyways, it will be sold out within the minute.

It will sell out at $700. But damn, that $100 tax is also adding another $8 in sales tax. $750 for a card I was kind of okay on for $650.

I don't think I can do it. The 1080 would have to Overclock like a madman for it to even be worthwhile. 980ti's can be had for $420 easy on eBay right now. Is a 1080 $330 more value than a 980ti, I can't make those numbers work in my head.

Think I'll just get a cheap used 980ti with transferable warranty and then wait for HBM2 cards, most likely Vega10 with regard to how these prices are going.

It means i have no hope that AMD will put out anything good enough to combat what Nvidia is doing. I hope they do especially at a cheaper price but i doubt it.
I honestly dont like the way Nvidia prices these cards. They do it because they can.

Honestly, on the surface nvidia seems like the better option but in my case I wish I had gone with a 290 instead of a GTX 780 when I bought my card 2 years ago. The 290 was much cheaper and has aged so much better than the 780, which at this point is being outperformed by the 960.

As a 780 owner, I feel so burned by nvidia and a part of me doesn't want to pay a penny to that company again.

Not really trying to argue or anything, just feel like sharing my disappointment every chance I get. I'm sure they'll abandon maxwell cards and their owners soon after Pasca is released and will do the same with pascal. I understand it's business and they need to sell cards but they're "obsoleting" their cards way too quickly. The 780 is still a powerful card but it's performance started to decrease relative to less powerful cards as soon as maxwell was launched. I bought my 780 6 months before the launch of maxwell

No worries, AMD isn't my mother. ; )

Just sounded like a cheap shot.

I think another cheaply acquired 980ti would be a better option for your rig. Dunno what kind of games you enjoy, but watching it run Witcher 3 in 4K on Youtube - looks breathtaking.

spannicus

What specifically? So far other than the power of 1080/1070 the only thing that's super interesting is the multi view port stuff. Which while it sounds really cool we don't know how it's implemented. If it has to be programmed into the game it isn't guaranteed to be used. The first thing that made it suspicious was when using multiple monitors it can correct the field of view so the images line up, but how does it determine the angle of your monitors? So for me card that is as powerful as a 390X at $299 sounds pretty good especially if it can overclock well.
i understand what you are saying. Not trying to rag on AMD. They just dont seem to be delivering compared to what nvidia is offering. It sucks but im sure this is why nvidia charges what they charge.

That's because the 1080 isn't a replacement for the 980 Ti. It's a replacement for the 980.
i know. Im just saying that i think it is too expensive and i can imagine what the Ti is going to cost.

AmuroRX

Banned
It will sell out at $700. But damn, that $100 tax is also adding another $8 in sales tax. $750 for a card I was kind of okay on for $650.

I don't think I can do it. The 1080 would have to Overclock like a madman for it to even be worthwhile. 980ti's can be had for $420 easy on eBay right now. Is a 1080 $330 more value than a 980ti, I can't make those numbers work in my head.

Think I'll just get a cheap used 980ti with transferable warranty and then wait for HBM2 cards, most likely Vega10 with regard to how these prices are going.

At that price range your better off buying a gtx 1070.

I personally don't see a reason to spend any money on a maxwell card at this point (used or new). Unless of course you get it super cheap.

I currently have an EVGA Geforce GTX 970 FTW+ ACX 2.0 that i plan to sell on CL for $150 to get a GTX 1070. If you happen to find a person willing to sell a GTX 980ti for less than $275 then go for it but anything over $300 just isnt' worth it.

Keep in mind a GTX 1070 is still expected to be faster than a GTX 980ti

i know. Im just saying that i think it is too expensive and i can imagine what the Ti is going to cost.

I imagine Nvidia will release a new Titan card at a flat $1000 with GP100 and then release the 1080 Ti a few months later at $649 and drop the 1080 down to $499 and the 1070 down to $299. This is basically what they have done with the past 3 generations of cards. It's possible they drop the latter two down to $549 and $349, but I think they will want to get in at that $300 price point by then--that's usually where AMD hits them the hardest.

longdi

Banned
I hope the upcoming reviews grade 1080/1070 based on their FE pricing, because I feel that's what we are getting for months. Or call out Nvidia for their nefarious FE test of water

Phawx

At that price range your better off buying a gtx 1070.

I personally don't see a reason to spend any money on a maxwell card at this point (used or new). Unless of course you get it super cheap.

I currently have an EVGA Geforce GTX 970 FTW+ ACX 2.0 that i plan to sell on CL for $150 to get a GTX 1070. If you happen to find a person willing to sell a GTX 980ti for less than $275 then go for it but anything over $300 just isnt' worth it.

Keep in mind a GTX 1070 is still expected to be faster than a GTX 980ti

Hmm. You're right. A 1070 for $450 is better.

..But those are going to sell out in the blink of an eye.

This sucks.

spannicus

No worries, AMD isn't my mother. ; )

Just sounded like a cheap shot.

I think another cheaply acquired 980ti would be a better option for your rig. Dunno what kind of games you enjoy, but watching it run Witcher 3 in 4K on Youtube - looks breathtaking.
I hear alot of people having issues with 2 gpus. Most of the recent games have had almost 0 to shoddy sli support. Yeah the Witcher 3 is amazing. I run it at 4k with DSR its awesome.

grumble

If Polaris 10 proves worthy then Nvidia would be screwing themselves over

Polaris 10 won't be as powerful as the 1080. The die is just way smaller. That is fine as it will still be powerful enough for 99% of gamers, but if you want the most horsepower before the winter, you need the 1080.

AmuroRX

Banned
Hmm. You're right. A 1070 for $450 is better.

..But those are going to sell out in the blink of an eye.

This sucks.

Lol, have patience sir.

I don't expect to get a gtx 1070 in june. I suspect we would find them easily in july/august. Plus waiting for some nice factory oc'ed models from asus and evga is worth it.

i understand what you are saying. Not trying to rag on AMD. They just dont seem to be delivering compared to what nvidia is offering. It sucks but im sure this is why nvidia charges what they charge.

AMD has been very competitive. The 290 released at $400 and was faster than the 780Ti and the Titan. Retail on the 290X was $550 went as high as $900 due to demand. The 290X was the top card for almost a year. It's funny that me being a recent fan of AMD didn't even realize this until now. That's how tainted their image is. In Oct/Nov 2013 they released the 290s and had the best cards until the following Sept. All anyone ever talks about is the 970 though.

Sorry if I missed it, but where's the evidence in this? The only thing we've heard officially is that they are attempting to have options out on the 27th. Where in this is there a change?

Phawx

Sorry if I missed it, but where's the evidence in this? The only thing we've heard officially is that they are attempting to have options out on the 27th. Where in this is there a change?

The only evidence we have right now is that all of the partners who make Nvidia cards are only listing FE cards. If it was just one of them, you could dismiss it. But for all of the manufacturers to collectively only display FE cards and their 1080 products is pretty telling.

Edit: I put all of those links in the OP btw.

The only evidence we have right now is that all of the partners who make Nvidia cards are only listing FE cards. If it was just one of them, you could dismiss it. But for all of the manufacturers to collectively only display FE cards and their 1080 products is pretty telling.

Don't we have tweets from some of those reps saying they're attempting to have cards out. Pretty sure they'll want to announce those cards somehow, not just list them on their products page. The Founders Edition has been announced, so it should be listed. We just riled up the hornets nest without any real cause and we have a thread for this discussion already. I would imagine that tomorrow will bring more to light.

There's no change. People just don't seem to understand that the AIBs actually need to sample, test, and validate their non-reference custom solutions before selling them on the market. Nvidia does all the sampling, testing, and validation themselves on reference cards so all the AIBs can just put them in boxes and sell them on the 27th.

Any delay on non-Founders cards past the 27th is because the AIBs aren't ready to sell them yet. That's it. Nvidia isn't holding a gun to someone's head and telling them they can't sell a non-Founders card or they'll get their brains blown out.

No one cares because the FE cards will sell out instantly anyways on the 27th. Anybody who was watching the 980 Ti at launch already knows this is going to happen. I was patient enough at that launch to wait a couple weeks until the first AIB came out with their custom card, it ended up being Gigabyte who got out the door first with the 980 Ti Gaming G1 and that was the card I bought.

Well what do you expect when people still buy them even though they know they are getting shafted.

If you want it to change, buy AMD. SImple as that really.

Can't wait for the 1499$ Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti.

Jokes aside, I think the supply of GDDR5X is so limited Nvidia won't have a lot of 1080 cards available so they're trying to limit the early demand by making this cash grab. I bet we won't see 599$ 1080's until July earliest.

Nvidia doesn't have your best interests at heart.

Edit: I put all of those links in the OP btw.

Dude you're making a concrete statement based on nothing. I looked at your links. There's no evidence there at all. Not trying to be a dick, but you knew this would be a shitstorm and there's no new info here and you are acting as though there is.

Here's HardwareCanucks take

https://twitter.com/hardwarecanucks/status/729042636795846656?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Well what do you expect when people still buy them even though they know they are getting shafted.

If you want it to change, buy AMD. SImple as that really.

Sure if only AMD was planning to make a GPU which was performance competitive with the 1080 in 2016.

You can't buy an AMD product which doesn't exist. Nvidia knows this better than anybody, that's why they are pricing the 1080 so high right now. They got nobody who can compete with them in the top shelf and they won't the whole year.

Mookow

I've gotten EVGA SC cards that use reference cooler in the last few years, what would stop them from doing the same with the Founder's edition this time? Adding 100-200Mhz like the 980 SC? They could release a few versions on the 27th if they did this, instead of waiting for all the coolers.

Sure if only AMD was planning to make a GPU which was performance competitive with the 1080 in 2016.

You can't buy an AMD product which doesn't exist. Nvidia knows this better than anybody, that's why they are pricing the 1080 so high right now. They got nobody who can compete with them in the top shelf and they won't the whole year.

That's the vicious circle though isn't it?

People know they get gouged by Nvidia but will pay it anyway instead of buying an AMD card which may be slightly worse performance but much better price/perf.

Granted AMD isn't directly releasing anything to combat Nvidia currently, i just mean in a general sense.

I've lost count of the amount of times i've seen people say that they want AMD to be competitive, not to buy their stuff but to lower Nvidias' prices. It's like feeding a monster.

Renekton

AMD has been very competitive. The 290 released at $400 and was faster than the 780Ti and the Titan. Retail on the 290X was $550 went as high as $900 due to demand. The 290X was the top card for almost a year. It's funny that me being a recent fan of AMD didn't even realize this until now. That's how tainted their image is. In Oct/Nov 2013 they released the 290s and had the best cards until the following Sept. All anyone ever talks about is the 970 though.
The brief cryptocurrency craze messed up the 280-290 card pricing too.

Grechy34

If you're really keen on the card the extra 100$ won't phase you, if you can wait you save yourself the 100$. Early adopters always face these occurrences.

Phawx

Dude you're making a concrete statement based on nothing. I looked at your links. There's no evidence there at all. Not trying to be a dick, but you knew this would be a shitstorm and there's no new info here and you are acting as though there is.

Here's HardwareCanucks take

https://twitter.com/hardwarecanucks/status/729042636795846656?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

First, all of those links were recently updated. They didn't exist eight days ago when I checked. I don't know when they were all brought online but it was within the past eight days.

I searched for this info to find any mention of it on neogaf and I didn't find anything. So I made a post because in (at least this forum and at least as far as I searched) it's new information.

Second, HardwareCanucks state this:

"Non-Founders Edition that is. NVIDIA is hoping at or extremely close to launch."

I'm bolding this because you linked it and it has the word hope in it. I'll concede that my information isn't concrete. I am merely working off the information provided by the vendors.

You are absolutely correct, if within the next 10 days a non-FE product shows up, than my topic title would be inaccurate.

Though I still think it's very wise to communicate that it will be extremely difficult to find a GTX 1080 for $599 barring any type of price mistake.

First, all of those links were recently updated. They didn't exist eight days ago when I checked. I don't know when they were all brought online but it was within the past eight days.

I searched for this info to find any mention of it on neogaf and I didn't find anything. So I made a post because in (at least this forum and at least as far as I searched) it's new information.

Second, HardwareCanucks state this:

"Non-Founders Edition that is. NVIDIA is hoping at or extremely close to launch."

I'm bolding this because you linked it and it has the word hope in it. I'll concede that my information isn't concrete. I am merely working off the information provided by the vendors.

You are absolutely correct, if within the next 10 days a non-FE product shows up, than my topic title would be inaccurate.

Though I still think it's very wise to communicate that it will be extremely difficult to find a GTX 1080 for $599 barring any type of price mistake.

This is your thread title Every GTX 1080 at launch will *only* be Founder's Edition. and you have nothing to prove that. Product pages can be changed immediately, see Apple launches. There is already a thread that this could have been discussed in. You create a new thread for new news. This is not that. This is speculation treated as fact, to again rile people up about something unconfirmed. I understand what you're saying and in no way would I bet my money on having different cards at launch, but this wasn't needed. I'm not gonna bump this thread again.

I have no skin in this. I will be waiting until after E3 to see what cards are out, and see what the console makers are doing.

J-Rzez

Nvidia going for the gouge here, such a scumbag move. I agree with others and blame AMD for this, as they're allowing this to happen.

I guess i'll be going weeks/months longer without a new card. I'm not giving them $100 for the privilege of buying their product before others. It's ridiculous.

Between this early adopter tax and shitty Ford dealerships trying to mark up the Focus RS by $5-10k just because they can gouge the consumer, i'm so sick of these big companies anymore.

Phawx

I remember that being a 7000 series problem

The R9 2xx series was a huge seller for AMD because of mining. It's why I have an R9 290 now. I bought an abused mining GPU for cheap almost two years ago.

Still running. But it gets so loud.

K' Dash

Holy shit, I could have never imagined the clusterfuck that is the release of these cards, fuck, my 780 can barely handle Doom on ultra @60fps, I need but I won't indulge in this crap Nvidia is trying to pull off.

I can only hope AMD hit it out of the park, we NEED competition.

That's not true. The 290X was faster than the 780 and Titan, but the 290 was below both those (traded blows with the 780 but lost to the Titan). The 780 Ti was a response to the 290/290X, and beat both of them. The 780 Ti was a bit of a beast, still trades blows with the R9 390 in a few instances.

Swig_

Wow, that blows. I wanted to step up my EVGA 980 Ti to a 1080, but don't want to spend an extra $100 for basically nothing. Sigh.

x3sphere

The R9 290 and 290X's reference cooler was not very good, the cards were panned by review sites for being hot and extremely loud. To make matters worse, AMD and its partners didn't get non-reference coolers out that actually showed how awesome the card was until 2-3 months later. This led to a stigma that the R9 290 cards ran hot and loud, it was a disaster for AMD.

Around the time the non-reference cards starting hitting the cryptocurrency crazy was in full effect also, I remember seeing a Tri-X (one of the best custom 290X's) for $900 on Newegg, more than a 780 Ti.

Basically yes, 290/290X were great cards, but the launch was super botched due to the delay in getting custom cards out and the mining craze later causing prices to spike, putting them out of reach for most normal gamers.

390/390X launch went a lot smoother, although basically the same card if you compare reviews you'll see how much more positive reviewers were about them. That's because all the 390 series models were not based on the reference design.

That's not true. The 290X was faster than the 780 and Titan, but the 290 was below both those (traded blows with the 780 but lost to the Titan). The 780 Ti was a response to the 290/290X, and beat both of them. The 780 Ti was a bit of a beast, still trades blows with the R9 390 in a few instances.

780 Ti only beats it in reviews because the 290X reference design throttled big time. If you compare a 290X with custom cooler to the 780 Ti, 290X beats it.

nubbe

Almost every launch from both Nvidia and AMD have the top card use reference coolers for the first month or so
I don't understand the outrage

Grechy34

Nvidia going for the gouge here, such a scumbag move. I agree with others and blame AMD for this, as they're allowing this to happen.

I guess i'll be going weeks/months longer without a new card. I'm not giving them $100 for the privilege of buying their product before others. It's ridiculous.

Between this early adopter tax and shitty Ford dealerships trying to mark up the Focus RS by $5-10k just because they can gouge the consumer, i'm so sick of these big companies anymore.

I don't get this attitude as a consumer it's shitty but its a business making business decisions.

The R9 290 and 290X's reference cooler was not very good, the cards were panned by review sites for being hot and extremely loud. To make matters worse, AMD and its partners didn't get non-reference coolers out that actually showed how awesome the card was until 2-3 months later. This led to a stigma that the R9 290 cards ran hot and loud, it was a disaster for AMD.

780 Ti only beats it in reviews because the 290X reference design throttled big time. If you compare a 290X with custom cooler to the 780 Ti, 290X beats it. An unfortunate situation for AMD really, they had the better card but it was held back big time by the cooler.

On the bright side, AMD is definitely not going to make that mistake again. The R9 Nano reference cooler is really nice.

780 Ti only beats it in reviews because the 290X reference design throttled big time. If you compare a 290X with custom cooler to the 780 Ti, 290X beats it.

I explicitly linked Reference designs because it leaves all the cards at a disadvantage. If you compare numbers across titles for the 290X and 780 Ti on AIB alternatives (in this case both reviews are the MSI Gaming variant of the respective cards), the results don't vary much. The 780 Ti regularly outclassed the 290X, as it should have for $100-200 more.

Seems confirmed by an EVGA Forums Mod:

Our information currently shows that we will offer the Founder's Edition cards on the launch day May 27th. We will likely have other versions of the 1080 in the future, but we do not know yet when those will be released. Keep an eye on the forums and EVGA.com for any announcements we make about non-reference cards.

badb0y

Who the fuck didn't see this coming? I am not even sure what card is going to be at $599 because in the past custom cards from AIBs have had a premium over reference cards not a deficit.

Phawx

Who the fuck didn't see this coming? I am not even sure what card is going to be at $599 because in the past custom cards from AIBs have had a premium over reference cards not a deficit.

The problem isn't one of pricing because of supply and demand, it's about Nvidia listing the MSRP of $599 for regular and $699 for FE.

Let's apply it to another scenario. Would people feel miffed if the PS4 had a MSRP of $399 but also a $499 Prime Patron edition if both were exactly the same and only the Prime Patron was available at launch?

badb0y

The problem isn't one of pricing because of supply and demand, it's about Nvidia listing the MSRP of $599 for regular and $699 for FE.

Let's apply it to another scenario. Would people feel miffed if the PS4 had a MSRP of $399 but also a $499 Prime Patron edition if both were exactly the same and only the Prime Patron was available at launch?
The moment they said that the Founder's Edition is the reference card I knew that was the card that was going to launch, alone. Historically, the reference cards come first, then there's custom coolers on the reference boards (AKA ACX from EVGA) and then finally after a few weeks we get fully custom AIB cards like the EVGA Classified and MSI Lightnings. What I am confused about is usually these custom cards carry a premium over the reference cards but nVidia is saying they will be priced at $599? How is that even possible?

The moment they said that the Founder's Edition is the reference card I knew that was the card that was going to launch, alone. Historically, the reference cards come first, then there's custom coolers on the reference boards (AKA ACX from EVGA) and then finally after a few weeks we get fully custom AIB cards like the EVGA Classified and MSI Lightnings. What I am confused about is usually these custom cards carry a premium over the reference cards but nVidia is saying they will be priced at $599? How is that even possible?

Typically AIB aftermarket cards are only a tad bit more expensive than reference ones, save for premium ones like KINGPIN, unlike Founder's Edition.

Renekton

Sounds like old PS3 launch lol.

I think yields are an issue and the only way Nvidia can meet this aggressive time-to-market far ahead of AMD without loss per card is via FE.

Top Bottom