• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every GTX 1080 at launch will *only* be Founder's Edition.

Phawx

The moment they said that the Founder's Edition is the reference card I knew that was the card that was going to launch, alone. Historically, the reference cards come first, then there's custom coolers on the reference boards (AKA ACX from EVGA) and then finally after a few weeks we get fully custom AIB cards like the EVGA Classified and MSI Lightnings. What I am confused about is usually these custom cards carry a premium over the reference cards but nVidia is saying they will be priced at $599? How is that even possible?

Oh, sorry. I completely misread your previous post. Apologies.

You do raise a good point though, It is doesn't fill me with hope of a cheaper 1080 down the line.

Once I see reviews on how well the 1080 overclocks will dictate if I purchase or not. I don't know if I can wait for custom coolers though. Might just have to do the FE.

Sounds like old PS3 launch lol.

I think yields are an issue and the only way Nvidia can meet this aggressive time-to-market far ahead of AMD without loss per card is via FE.

Probably true.

I think yields are an issue and the only way Nvidia can meet this aggressive time-to-market far ahead of AMD without loss per card is via FE.

More than likely. It also looks like AMD won't have any new cards on the market for a few months after Nvidia launches the 1080 on May 27th--I expect the 1070 to be out by mid June too.

Rafy

Question, is it possible that the board partners are just waiting for the review embargo to lift in a few hours, before announcing their custom designs?

Knurek

Sounds like old PS3 launch lol.

I'm disappointed that Jen-Hsun didn't mention getting a second job just to get hands on that irresponsible levels of performance 1080 provides during the presentation.

Between this early adopter tax and shitty Ford dealerships trying to mark up the Focus RS by $5-10k just because they can gouge the consumer, i'm so sick of these big companies anymore.

I didn't know people really wanted a Ford Focus that badly. They don't seem like particularly noteworthy cars. Now if you told me dealers were marking up the new Mustangs then I would be like well that makes sense.

J-Rzez

I didn't know people really wanted a Ford Focus that badly. They don't seem like particularly noteworthy cars. Now if you told me dealers were marking up the new Mustangs then I would be like well that makes sense.

It's a bit OT here, but the RS is a special model of interest. Huge fan following from the Cosworth days in EU, and the states never had a true RS here. And it's a spectacular performing car taking the place of the Evolution (RIP).

As far as the cards go, i'm just waiting. Not paying an early adopter tax just for the hell of it. Will wait for the better non-reference cards I think. Hopefully they'll be out shortly after the gougings rather than just a few months before HBM cards.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't like the way this suggests the 1080ti will be significantly more expensive than the 980ti, especially assuming they have a founders edition too. There will probably be a price correction to the 1080 when the 1080ti comes out, and nvidia is just taking advantage while the 1080 is the top of their line, but unless the 1080ti is priced the same as the current 1080 pricing, average prices will be going up

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The flip side of this, is that all manufacturers are selling FEs because that's all that exists for this launch window because nvidia is supplying them. Of course they'll sell them at the same price as they're the same product. And nvidia selling reference cards higher than MSRP longer term is just to provide space for third parties to compete below that price.

So if we do accept $599 as the baseline for normal third party cards - what are the usual premiums charged for eg gigabyte or MSI gaming versions? Not the super top end kingpins, just the standard 'small factory overclock and better cooling' cards? Could we eventually see those for $649-679?

Of course. But a few weeks after the launch there will be a ton of AIB cards to choose from. Same like almost every other Nvidia launch. Also taking forum posts as confirmation is ridiculous. AIB partners are not going to announce their new custom cards in a random forum post. There is this pretty big show at the end of May, just after the release date of the 1080. That is the place where you announce your custom board.

I don't like the way this suggests the 1080ti will be significantly more expensive than the 980ti, especially assuming they have a founders edition too. There will probably be a price correction to the 1080 when the 1080ti comes out, and nvidia is just taking advantage while the 1080 is the top of their line, but unless the 1080ti is priced the same as the current 1080 pricing, average prices will be going up
What helped the 980 Ti being relatively cheap was the fact that it was made on a very mature node. The 1080 Ti will be a big chip on a new node and with completely new memory, I expect they will price it accordingly.

Kieli

Legitimately do not understand why manufacturers would bother selling after-market coolers by spending R&D $$$ when they can sell reference design for +$100.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Legitimately do not understand why manufacturers would bother selling after-market coolers by spending R&D $$$ when they can sell reference design for +$100.

Those brands have large followings and they produce good custom cards that people want. And the R&D probably isn't that high- many will be a continuous R&D process for compact cooling and they'll adjust the design for a particular board, but those costs will be spread over many boards too.

I would rather wait for an MSI gaming card as I really like how mine is quiet (silent when not at load as the fans turn off)

Durante

There's quite a lot of competition with partner cards, and being considered "the one to get" probably makes a significant difference in sales after the launch window.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Fuck this. I'm not going to spend 700$ to buy a reference version. Awaiting for ASUS ROG versions to come out at a later date.

Mokujin

I saw pretty clearly that "only Founders edition" was going to be the plan all along for a bit of time so they can squeeze extra bucks, and it wouldn't surprise me non-basic cooler cards will come out very close to Founders price for a while too.

1080 is not going to have direct competition for a while, so from a business point of view can't see vendors rushing to market a 600$ model.

Hope I'm wrong though.

Top Bottom