• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every Xbox One Includes a Chat Headset!! + Xbox One Day One Unboxing

Pop

Finally MS makes something about the PS4 look bad, the bundled headset looks better at least. We shall see.

Cause of an added headset that should have been in since day 1? We've known about the headset included with the PS4 since they announced the system.

I think that console looks pretty sexy. That is an incredibly deep black. The shape is ok but the angle at the front bothers me. Still the console looks great and it will look great next the ps4 underneath the Panasonic plasma.

Why is the power supply outside again!! That thing totally had to make me move around stuff in my entertainment centre for the 360 and this one looks bigger.

To me it looks about the same size as the 360 slim's power brick.

Still, power bricks are the devil.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Cause of an added headset that should have been in since day 1? We've known about the headset included with the PS4 since they announced the system.

What's he's saying is that this headset looks a little better than the PS4 headset.

Which is true, but at the end of the day they're both entry level headsets.

I'm not sure I get the (some of) GAF hate towards power bricks. My current Xbox brick is beneath my entertainment center where I literally never see it. So that is where the Xbox One brick will go; so can you help me understand the dislike here?
Same. Seems like a real reach even for your typical "fuck everything hate" type internet guy.

It disappears. It is like complaining about a wall wart.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Why is the power supply outside again!! That thing totally had to make me move around stuff in my entertainment centre for the 360 and this one looks bigger.

This helps:

CB_desc_01.jpg

CB_top_01.jpg

It appears as though Microsoft is listening, I just hope the DRM debacle doesn't hurt them too much. I'm glad Micorsoft is making a gamble on the Kinect, I know its $100 more than the PS4 but knowing one is in every box is huge for developers IMHO. Indie publishing + Kinect 2.0 = Potential game changer. I'm really excited for new consoles, this holiday can't come soon enough.

LB

Thats b/c you think its out of care but they are doing it b/c they are worried about their wallets

They had to spend money on these headsets and include them into the 499usd pricing, so if anything it hurt their wallet to include them. MS did what any smart company would do by listening to the consumers and providing something they wanted at no additional cost to them.

According to IGN this is one of 20 retail spec systems in the world right now. I'm curious, does anyone have an idea of the monthly production yield? I think 360 started manufacturing in August 2005 and yield was around 400k/mo based on a story in The Guardian from 2008. I'm curious if the monthly yield is expected to be comparable to 360?

Vestal

Gold Member
According to IGN this is one of 20 retail spec systems in the world right now. I'm curious, does anyone have an idea of the monthly production yield? I think 360 started manufacturing in August 2005 and yield was around 400k/mo based on a story in The Guardian from 2008. I'm curious if the monthly yield is expected to be comparable to 360?
probably higher since the tech is not as exotic as the 360 one was back then

I love a good console unboxing! Packaging is incredibly classy. Very excited although basic features being put under gold is a shame, if not unexpected.

Wow, it seems like they're listening to gamers' complaints.
Including a headset is a great idea, since you really don't want to be using the kinnect mic if there's any background noise.

test_account

XP-39C²
Finally MS makes something about the PS4 look bad, the bundled headset looks better at least. We shall see.
I think the Xbox One headset looks like pretty cheap build quality in the Youtube video. But that is just from the video though, it might be more sturdy than it looks. The PS4 headset also looks pretty cheap, but i'm not sure about the build quality on it, since the headset part itself is so small.

farisr

Wow, it seems like they're listening to gamers' complaints.

Honestly, some of these complaints should not have had to happen in the first place, but yes it's a good thing they're including the headset now with all Xbox Ones. And yeah, it does look more suited to my tastes than the ps4 "head"set.

KageMaru

It looks like any other unboxing for a console, good I guess. Happy it comes with a headset since I didn't want to use Kinect to chat. I wonder if I could use my current bluetooth 360 headset for the PS4/Xbone like I use it now for the PS360.

I feel like after taking a billion dollar hit for RROD, hardware quality control was priority #1

By the size and what we know of the cooling and sound of the system, I think it's clear they overcompensated to make up for the hardware faults of the 360.

statham

this one is dead.
Albert Penello ‏@albertpenello 7m

Glad you all like headset. We’re not going to 12gb, just to be clear. Feeling great about game performance – stuff is looking killer.

farisr

So let me get this straight, the only thing they haven't done a 180 on yet is the Kinect being mandatory , right ?

Indeed, but even an Xbox One dev said that the "plugged in mandatory" thing should be removed as it doesn't make sense due to being able to turn off the kinect completely. So I hope MS listens to these types of devs and the consumers on this issue as well.

If that happens, I will buy the system when it eventually goes down to $400 or less (still can't justify paying more for it than the PS4).

subrock

2 things:

-- Larry, maybe don't yell at your audience for the very first word spoken in the video. Made me want to close the video 1 second in.

-- A company co-opting unboxing videos is a little lame, but doing is months before the thing is actually released is totally missing the point of an unboxing. Unboxing videos are supposed to be launch day or shortly before to satiate the people that haven't got their hands on one yet.

Hideous and boring really don't go together. Do you mean it's so boring it's hideous?

Just like a slab of concrete covered in excrement can be hideous yet boring. Yet I could get down with so boring it's hideous. Either way Microsoft have cracked it, if you didn't think it could be done.

Bsigg12

As expected. Good to see they are communicating.

Post Mattrick, they have been doing a much better job at releasing info and being more up front with the community. While they are still a business that needs to make money and you can see that in some of the things they release, they are seemingly trying to be more clear about everything and all around open. It's nice seeing new info on the Xbox One every other day or so even this far out from launch.

Chris R

Wired controller? Coooooool

Good to know I won't be totally boned when my wired 360 controller bites the dust for PC use.

Cooling. That's why.

They don't want the machine to have any hardware issues at launch. Hence the spacious case with a large fan and plenty of air vents plus the separate power source.

How come some people still don't get that?

farisr

You can do that with 360.

You've been able to do that since 2005

You could not have a battery in a wireless controller, connect it with a wire and be able to play battery free on the 360?

News to me.

Anyways, even if that was possible, still different this time around. Doesn't use propriety cables (like the 360), just a typical usb micro cable. So yeah, a person from the getgo, can use the controller that came with the console as a wired controller without a play and charge kit if they have a cable lying around in the house.

boohowc

Banned
Cooling. That's why.

They don't want the machine to have any hardware issues at launch, hence the spacious case with a large fan and plenty of air vents plus the separate power source.

because xbone. :)

Power bricks make it easier to move country since you only have to change the brick rather than the entire device.

Maybe 20 years ago...

Majority of devices nowadays have adaptable PSU's which take various input voltages.

The most you would ever need to change is the plug lead.

The PS3 & PS4 both have this type of PSU.

Raymo

Cooling. That's why.

They don't want the machine to have any hardware issues at launch, hence the spacious case with a large fan and plenty of air vents plus the separate power source.

Is is that hard to understand why people are questioning the decision?

They are looking at the PS4 which is smaller, more powerful, and has an internal power supply. Sure, it might be louder. We don't know, yet.

Edit: It might be worth noting that the power supply on the 360 had a much shorter warranty. Mine failed randomly one day not long after purchasing, and I had to buy a new one because it wasn't covered anymore. Maybe they don't want failed power supplies to translate into bricked consoles that they have to replace.

You could not have a battery in a wireless controller, connect it with a wire and be able to play battery free on the 360?

News to me.

Anyways, even if that was possible, still different this time around. Doesn't use propriety cables (like the 360), just a typical usb micro cable. So yeah, a person from the getgo, can use the controller that came with the console as a wired controller without a play and charge kit if they have a cable lying around in the house.

I've been doing that on 360 since Day 1.

boohowc

Banned
Albert Penello ‏@albertpenello 7m

Glad you all like headset. We’re not going to 12gb, just to be clear. Feeling great about game performance – stuff is looking killer.

Someone create a new thread just for this so people STOP with the rumor.

Glad this is finally out. Headset going in wasn’t really a backpedal so much as a collective “Really?” internally. At some point I hope to share the story behind that, but it’s not a 180 the way you guys think about. Doesn’t matter – I’m just glad we put it in.

IR Blaster. Kinect has and IR blaster array built in. Can turn on your TV, Cable Box, etc. so when you say “Xbox On” it will actually power your equipment, switch inputs, etc. (I know, TV TV TV but when you get to see it, you’ll understand.). As someone pointed out, if for some reason your setup doesn’t work with Kinect IR blasting, you can get a cable and connect to the port in the back.

Storage is about HDD space. This is a generic disclaimer. You lose some of the 500gb in formatting (just like every HDD), and we reserve some space. No different than 360 or PS3. It’s just a legal disclaimer, no shenanigans going on.

Be nice to Larry. I know you guys hate him, but he really is a great guy. Doing what he does is hard – being filmed, trying to be concise, trying to be personable and “official”. It’s rough. I guarantee if any of you could spend 10min with him face-to-face, you’d get what I’m saying. That’s my plug for Larry.

4K rated HDMI cable – you can blame me for that. My point was, we have in fact tested this cable against 4K, and made sure we didn’t get EMI interference with our internal radios. So I wanted people to be confident it wasn’t a POS generic HDMI cable – to make it work great, you need to test it with the system you ship, to make sure at full resolution you’re not getting any interference.

By the way – wouldn’t it technically be Xbox ONE EIGHTY?

Top Bottom