• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every Zelda game ranked by Metacritic score

Status
Not open for further replies.

janoDX

Click here to see it

All of this is by Metacritic score, there's no panel or anything. Blame critics at the time of launch of every game.

So the ranking is...

1. Ocarina of Time (99)
2. Breath of the Wild (98)
3. Windwaker (96)
4. Twilight Princess (95)
4. Majora's Mask (95)
4. A Link to the Past + Four Swords -GBA- (95)
7. Skyward Sword (93)
7. A Link to the Past -SNES- (93)
9. Oracle of Seasons/Ages
10. A Link Between Worlds (91)
11. Link's Awakening (90)
11. Phantom Hourglass (90)
13. The Minish Cap (89)
14. Spirit Tracks (87)
15. Four Swords Adventures (86)
16. The Legend of Zelda (84)
17. The Adventure of Link (78)
18. Triforce Heroes (73)

Beat me another poster saying "Should have ended with :'Beat me for another kinda pointless Zelda thread'" if old.

Machina

Banned
If it weren't for reviewers being tougher while scoring in the modern age, Breath of the Wild would be number 1. Sorry Ocarina.

Yes Boss!

Wind Waker so overrated.

It has incredible genre-defining Toon link. But I personally prefer Twilight above it.

Rather surprised A Link Between Worlds is not higher. Finally played through it a few months back and it was incredible.

Triforce Heroes is really underrated too. Not as an online experience but when played locally it is the best if the Four Swords style game. And so much content.

Montresor

I haven't played Breath Of The Wild (and probably won't) but I would rate the Zelda games that I have played like this:

1) Majora's Mask
2) Wind Waker
3) Ocarina of Time
4) Link's Awakening
5) Oracle of Ages / Oracle of Seasons
7) Twilight Princess
8) Link To The Past
9) Phantom Hourglass
9) Minish Cap
10) Spirit Tracks

I love Majora's Mask and Wind Waker so much. I'll forever have really good memories of those two.

BOTW is the best for me, now. All the other games had a representation of a world, with your imagination filling in the gaps. With Breath of the Wild, the whole world is right there, to explore. It's incredible.

DylanEno

Top 5 looks about right. Everything after that.... eh.

(I wouldn't put OoT above any but maybe TP in the top 5 tho - I'm approaching it from a "in no particular order" mindset)

geordiemp

Remember getting bored with the crap combat in Twilight princess and stopped after about 6-7 hours and went back to excite truck...

Note to self - ignore the pro Zelda reviewers and their rose tinted specs.

As soon as a reviewer gushes over a prior zelda...just ignore,

phanphare

Banned
More importantly, what is Phantom Hourglass doing with a 90 metascore?

it had a novel control scheme that was executed well and played to the strengths of the system it was on, same with skyward sword

I haven't played Breath Of The Wild (and probably won't) but I would rate the Zelda games that I have played like this:

1) Majora's Mask
2) Wind Waker

I love Majora's Mask and Wind Waker so much. I'll forever have really good memories of those two.

mate, play Breath of the Wild. it takes aspects of your favorite two Zelda games and majorly expands upon them.

sphinx

the piano man
I don't know, I think those two should be higher.

Indeed, such bullshit.

reviews are probably for virtual console or some later platform, otherwise I can't understand grading LoZ (NES) anything under than 9.5/10

I will say it, Zelda 1 in 1986 deserves more perfect scores than OOT in 1998 or BOTW in 2017.

The last Zelda game I played was Twilight Princess, and no way in hell was that a 95. The only thing that got me through it to the end was Midna.

DylanEno

Neither Wind Waker nor Skyward Sword have any business being that high.
toon_link_animation_by_psarahdactyls-d8o1fh8.png

You can shit on SS all you want but don't you fucking dare group WW in with that trash

geordiemp

The last Zelda game I played was Twilight Princess, and no way in hell was that a 95. The only thing that got me through it to the end was Midna.

Well done, I got about 6 hours in and bored to hell.

You cant really trust allot of critics IMO, 7/10 with 3 points for being critics darling

nubbe

LoZ is exactly for its time what BotW is now
I get the same feeling now playing BotW like I had then when I was 7 years old playing LoZ

RexNovis

Banned
Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons are by far the most criminally under appreciated LoZ games ever. They are second only to the original and OoT in their brilliance. More people shoukd play them.

mindatlarge

BOTW is the best for me, now. All the other games had a representation of a world, with your imagination filling in the gaps. With Breath of the Wild, the whole world is right there, to explore. It's incredible.
This aspect will spoil us when playing other games, that's the only downfall to playing this amazing game.

There's absolutely no way that Zelda 1 would get below, say, a 93 at the time of its release. That game was a massive step forward at the time. That must be a VC rerelease or something.

Twilight Princess is one of the most boring and tedious games I've ever played. I can only assume it's one of those "it gets better after 6-7 hours" games.

toon_link_animation_by_psarahdactyls-d8o1fh8.png

You can shit on SS all you want but don't you fucking dare group WW in with that trash
WW has the worst dungeons of any major 3D Zelda, a barren overworld, and SO much padding between THAT triforce quest and the boss rush at the end.

The art's pretty though and the story has some good moments. Is that all it takes to be a 96 on Metacritic? (Edit: Looking at the scores for Bioshock Infinite, yes, I guess that is basically enough lol)

Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons are by far the most criminally under appreciated LoZ games ever. They are second only to the original and OoT in their brilliance. More people shoukd play them.

Agreed. I love em so much, and it was a shock when discussing with the Zelda community that they're not really all that loved,

janoDX

This aspect will spoil us when playing other games, that's the only downfall to playing this amazing game.

I can't see myself playing another open world game after this one. Maybe MGSV again and FFXV but because those two open worlds are also well done.

But BOTW does this to perfection.

phanphare

Banned

yeah I agree with this. Breath of the Wild is the actual representation of the game you felt like you were playing in your head with stuff like OoT etc.

I also love how Breath of the Wild makes all the other Zelda games seem like representations of a legend from long ago being recounted whereas Breath of the Wild feels like the actual world, if that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom