• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf / Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational |OT| You're invited too!

Pachimari

The points I see on the scoreboard after one round, is that points for the one round right? Where can I see my overall points? Since I'm going down the rankings in the singleplayer mode.

Nope, that would screw those of us on the best coast :D

3am EST/12am PST.

Finished last night's tourney 1st out of 1 total participant. Took a screencap. Boom.

Cheers. Unfortunately I lost an entire day's entry I played all 12-14 tournaments on the train yesterday, did really well actually, and when I finally got to work and connected to the wi-fi it kept getting an error, despite passing the connection tests, and the results just disappeared! Never to be submitted again. Awesome! I think it is because it let me play the previous days tourneys offline.

Pro Tip: Do not play cached tournaments if you are off wi-fi. Only play tournaments you have just recently refreshed.

Blitzzz

The points I see on the scoreboard after one round, is that points for the one round right? Where can I see my overall points? Since I'm going down the rankings in the singleplayer mode.

like cumulative points? I think the only place is on the ranking screen. The points you normally see go up and down depending on tournaments and what you buy.

True. It just seems odd that the manual record function is an unlockable, but auto record isn't. It auto recorded my 2 chip-in birdies but not my eagle? WTF? I'm a little salty because I don't make eagles that often and now I have no proof. lol

auto record only records in official rounds. Did you get the eagle in an unofficial tourney?

tanked the crap out of yesterday's dailies..... dropped 60 spots to 200.... need to stop trying for par 5s in 2 and hero shots (damn you hsg why are you like real golf!)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

Are you asking about bonus points (for good shots and stuff)... or your score (+/- strokes)?

I'm a little confused.

You can get through the first couple SP tourneys getting par on most holes and an occasional birdie. But later courses require more consistent birdies... you could start with five birdies in a row, be -5 and in the lead, but then hit a triple bogey (+3) and that would alter your overall score to -2. Which may or may not lose your place in first, depending on how the competition is playing. But your score is cumulative. And the point of golf is to finish the course in the least number of strokes. So all the par, birdie, bogey stuff really does matter. The only time a cumulative score doesn't matter is in the VS. matches against the AI players. For the normal games, you need to keep your strokes as few as possible, for each hole, over the entire 9-18 hole course.

rockx4

How hard is it to get into this game? I'm looking for another Vita game to buy. I suck at golf and know nothing about golf or it's rules, and I've never played Hot Shots Golf. But the videos look fun.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
How hard is it to get into this game? I'm looking for another Vita game to buy. I suck at golf and know nothing about golf or it's rules, and I've never played Hot Shots Golf. But the videos look fun.

It's much deeper than it looks... but always fun... and practice makes perfect.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

THis is one of the easiest and laid back fun games you will play on a hand held. Super fun.

Any gaffers playing now? I may log in for a few.

Mik2121

I'm the same as you. Except I played Pangya a long time ago (an online golf game kinda like this one). Anyway, I bought it without knowing what to expect but I'm loving it.

At first it looks kind of simple (golf..) but then it starts to get fairly deep and when you get used to accounting for the wind, distance, bounce, etc.. it gets quite fun! :)

I'd recommend it. Specially if you think it looked fun from just watching a bunch of videos :)

krae_man

I've found the single player part really easy. Well winning anyway. the CPU almost never scores under par. You can win with +3 even on the Gold Rank sometimes.

The crowns on the other hand can be brutal. The 100% GIR one with rain and gale force winds one kicked my ass. I ended up getting really good at the course with those conditions along the way. I scored a -7 with almost 2000 points one round, and that's with aiming for the heart of greens and not aiming for the flag. I'd probably do worse under normal conditions now :lol

Man It's going to take a butt load of grinding to buy everything in the shop. I just finished the crowns and I still need 300k to buy all the outfits and probably another 150k-200k to buy the rest of the lobby character items(they are all at 50% right now).

That albatross trophy might take a while. I haven't managed to hit any long chipins at all in this game. Minus my 1 hole in one, I don't think I have a single chip in over 30 yards. Considering the number of rounds I've played I probably should have a few by now. Hopefully this dry patch will end soon so I can get this plat.

depward

I've found the single player part really easy. Well winning anyway. the CPU almost never scores under par. You can win with +3 even on the Gold Rank sometimes.

The crowns on the other hand can be brutal. The 100% GIR one with rain and gale force winds one kicked my ass. I ended up getting really good at the course with those conditions along the way. I scored a -7 with almost 2000 points one round, and that's with aiming for the heart of greens and not aiming for the flag. I'd probably do worse under normal conditions now :lol

Man It's going to take a butt load of grinding to buy everything in the shop. I just finished the crowns and I still need 300k to buy all the outfits and probably another 150k-200k to buy the rest of the lobby character items(they are all at 50% right now).

That albatross trophy might take a while. I haven't managed to hit any long chipins at all in this game. Minus my 1 hole in one, I don't think I have a single chip in over 30 yards. Considering the number of rounds I've played I probably should have a few by now. Hopefully this dry patch will end soon so I can get this plat.

Feel the same. Single player stars weren't super challenging for me (admittedly, I've played a LOT of Hot Shots) but the crown challenges are tough.

Can't seem to find "that character" I like to play with. Who is everyone maining?

Also - I got a rising shot during the "real golf" star challenge (my first) - did the fun animation and everything - but no trophy. Oh well!

yeah im missing that as well as sidespin for the plat ($$$$ too but thats a dift situation) those shots im not going to aim for cause for me theyll just come naturally. If i start playing concentrating on getting them ill never get them.

@depward good questionive been meaning to ask this as well

so far ive been mixing it up with all the advanced toons minus Max (pandora just fun to look at in her alt costume...as well as xiao )....which reminds me its kinda annoying not seeing other peoples guys at all in online play....woulda been cool if they took everyones character and put them in some sorta sideline while youy shooting

stuarts stat and low ball isnt too bad either....got kinda used to him cause he was toon I was on for loyalty grinding while trying the 50% perfect impact crown....so yeah got alot of time in with him

krae_man

I haven't really decided yet either. The two female expert characters are really good and I'm leaning towards them but I miss the 15 yard chip meter. I think I might check out a couple of characters with good approach skill but it'll all depend on what the power and control stats end up being. I feel I need at least 270 yards of distance and at least a B for control but I prefer an A.

I'm starting to get the hang of this! I just got 2 eagles and 5 birdies in the 19th Daily Int'l Tourney.

If you can bump that up to 4 eagles and 5 birdies, you MIGHT have a chance of winning.

centracore

I finally beat challenge mode yesterday, only problem is bronze, silver and gold events were done on easy.. I was getting destroyed on normal and couldn't even compete, my thought process was I'd finish it off on easy, unlock the expert characters and then go back and redo bronze, silver and gold events on normal.

Will using the expert characters make the bronze, silver and gold events more tolerable on normal or am I still in for a world of hurt?

krae_man

Wait, there's a difficulty setting?

Will using the expert characters make the bronze, silver and gold events more tolerable on normal or am I still in for a world of hurt?

It all depends on what your strenths are. The expert characters do have more distance which helps. It helps make the par 5's(and some par 4's) reachable in 2 or 1 shot which gives you eagle chances and in general will give you shorter approach shots which will make it easier for you to stick your shot near the flag. But they are all terrible for impact so you better be good at impact.

Or at the very least you'll avoid some obsticles. Even if you muck up impact of your tee shots you'll end up landing 10-20 yards past the fairway bunkers and will land in the rough at worst.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Just got my Vita last night, sat down with Hot Shots for the first time this afternoon.

I'm not new to the series but I don't ever recall being this awful. Seems like all of the greens have landslide runs.

Awful golfer is awful. Say that three times fast.

centracore

It all depends on what your strenths are. The expert characters do have more distance which helps. It helps make the par 5's(and some par 4's) reachable in 2 or 1 shot which gives you eagle chances and in general will give you shorter approach shots which will make it easier for you to stick your shot near the flag. But they are all terrible for impact so you better be good at impact.

Or at the very least you'll avoid some obsticles. Even if you muck up impact of your tee shots you'll end up landing 10-20 yards past the fairway bunkers and will land in the rough at worst.

Thanks for the reply krae_man. I actually think I'll do a lot better on them now just from the fact that even on easy I really had to up my game for the bronze, silver and gold ranks - by the end I could usually land the ball within 10 feet of the pin and then make the putt on the first try.

krae_man

Thanks for the reply krae_man. I actually think I'll do a lot better on them now just from the fact that even on easy I really had to up my game for the bronze, silver and gold ranks - by the end I could usually land the ball within 10 feet of the pin and then make the putt on the first try.

Also pay attention to your control stat. It's probably the most important stat. Try and keep it a B at the absolute lowest when picking a character ball and club combonation. I always make sure it is a B at the absolute lowest when picking a character, ball and club combonation.

Anno

Is everyone else participating in the daily international tourney? I'm slowly working my way up. 30/7100something now!

krae_man

Is everyone else participating in the daily international tourney? I'm slowly working my way up. 30/7100something now!

Yep I'm 10th right now.

Anyway while on the subject I'm starting to dislike how the points system works for online rankings.

I just dropped from 9th place to 10th place even though I had 3 really good finishes yesterday. I finished 48th, 11th and 80th yesterday and the guy who passed me and was 10th overall finished 3rd 88th and something over 100th(I can't see past the top 100). I did better overall and he still passes me? So I decided to figure out how the points work and in the process I found out my 11th place finish is the worst possible place to finish.

Here's what I can gather:

I have finished 7th, 8th and 3rd before and received 23, 22, and 28 points for said finishes. So from that I've concluded:

1st: 30 points
2nd: 29 points

10th: 21 points

11th- top 10%: 20 points
Top 11%-? 15 points(my worst finish so far was top 18% and I got 15 points for it, I don't know what happens lower. Could someone else help fill that in?).

So basically, anyone in the top 10% of the online rankings needs a top 10 finish to have any chance of improving in ranking otherwise it's just a giant status quo(apart form passing one who tanked a round).

I have no idea how a new scoring system has more range after the top 10 would effect me, but I would prefer it if there was a difference in points between finishing 11th and say 80th.

depward

I went from 39th to 29th this morning while posting decent scores... Kinda blew it for today's tourneys though :(

Also - damned if I can get a homing shot to go in. Rising shot crown challenge = complete but I can't for the life of me get a homing. I hit the stick with perfect back spin (with loyalty +3 golfer) and nothing?

Glix

I cannot believe how much I like this game

I got it as part of a buy 2 get 1 at gamestop, and it was the one that I was just throwing in to make 3, I didn't think I'd like it that much.

I play it far more than my other games, and the daily online stuff is so great.

Pretty much my only complaint is launch software stuff - Bad load times, strange touch integration (some things can be touched, others can't, etc)

krae_man

God Dammit, landed in the water twice on the last hole and triple bogeyed it. went from 40th with a chance for top 10 if I eagled to 215th. :rage:

krae_man

Darn it. I hit a hole in one on the mega cup 18 hole tournament but mucked up the rest so I couldn't take advantage of it. My ball got stuck on the cart path on the ferris wheel hole with a nasty side slope. WTF? that never happens.

rockx4

I just started playing and it's pretty fun. Just on beginner and getting a lot of bogeys lol. I'm mostly over compensating for the wind direction.

I wasted a lot of points on the parts dispenser.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I just started playing and it's pretty fun. Just on beginner and getting a lot of bogeys lol. I'm mostly over compensating for the wind direction.

Remember on approach shots, (the swing meter will turn blue) the wind has very little effect on the ball, like someone else said in this thread if you can get the approach shots down and the ball landing close to the pin your chances of sinking the ball on your first putt will be a lot higher.

Darn it. I hit a hole in one on the mega cup 18 hole tournament but mucked up the rest so I couldn't take advantage of it. My ball got stuck on the cart path on the ferris wheel hole with a nasty side slope. WTF? that never happens.

I barely clipped a leaf on the 18th hole of that tourney. Went from a probable -21 to -18. Feels bad, man.

Whatever. Going from that points chart I'll never catch up since I didn't start entering the daily tourneys until today.

Had surgery the 14th. Picked up the bundle the next day. And by picked up I mean I told my mommy please go pick up my pre-order for me ;). Wore my arms and wrists out playing the game like a madman while weak and still on pain meds and didn't realize it til I weaned off, oops. Put the game down 4-5 days, then as I was getting my strength back I got sick, lol.

Oh well, I'm just relieved I can play the game as much as I want to now that I'm better. Was really concerned there for a bit the wrist cramping was going to be a regular thing, but thankfully I think I can chalk it up to just being really weak at the time. I'd never gotten wrist cramping from a handheld before so I was like WTF, I hope this is just because I'm weak as a kitten right now.

Now... ClapHanz! Hurry up and patch in the missing online modes that should've been included day one. I want to play private gamerooms (stroke and match play) with my friends instead of doing the same two GF tournaments over and over.

rockx4

This game is awesome lol. I'm finally getting used to it, but darn is putting hard at times. The slopes can really throw me off sometimes.

Just completed my first match and moved up to Amateur :p

addyb

Yay had my highest finish on a daily yesterday. Came 20th in the 18 holer. (-20)
Really pleased with that. I means i jumped 117 places to 365! :)

depward

Didn't fair too well with the dailies today :( slip sliding awayyyy

Also hit my second homing shot chip in! Of course, it's during an unofficial round like last time :/

Ken

This game is awesome lol. I'm finally getting used to it, but darn is putting hard at times. The slopes can really throw me off sometimes.

Just completed my first match and moved up to Amateur :p

I got to "pro" and had to set it to easy mode.

I still came in 17th in my first easy mode match. :(

I'm in the top 3% on the dailies and I haven't really played that well, I know there's a lot of improvement to be found in my game.
I aim to stay there.

In the back 9 of today's daily I was -7 going into the 18th, 2nd shot I thought I could get to the green, just a bit of spin and it'll be sat there for an Eagle putt.
Perfect Impact into the water WTF!
2nd try same result.
It was getting a bit Tin Cup, I wasn''t going to be beat, I could do this.
3rd attempt I got it onto the green and in the centre circle 41cm, If only that was shot 2 and not 6 :(
Double Bogey to finish at -5

Just did the 18 Hole Mega Cup, -17 good enough for a temporary 27th :)

hort22

So played today's 2 9 hole daily tournaments...first one I am a temp 36th place and it gives me some error message about registering my score...2nd one I play like crap and it registers the score...so my question is will the first tourney score be registered?

When I go back to daily entry is says round completed.

Anyone?

Got my first online 1st place yesterday with a decent score of -7...I noticed I was rushed (idk why but the timer was alot shorter then usual) so I didnt have much time to shoot and did well.

Im thinking I overthink too much when I have anytype of pressure but being rushed and just line up click-click I do well.

I noticed this as well on final gold challenge as well...Id get to hole18, land like 1yard from pin and miss....4 TIMES for my birdy....when i got there and was just said fuckit and slammed the putt out i got it.

krae_man

The quality of online competition varies a lot in my experience. Some tournaments I get smoked because you need to birdie every par 3 and 4, eagle every par 5 to even have a chance of ranking and even then you probably better eagle a couple of par 4's and one or two missed putts ruin me. Then other tournaments I completely destroy everyone. I won a tournament yesterday by 11 strokes.

The quality of online competition varies a lot in my experience. Some tournaments I get smoked because you need to birdie every par 3 and 4, eagle every par 5 to even have a chance of ranking and even then you probably better eagle a couple of par 4's and one or two missed putts ruin me. Then other tournaments I completely destroy everyone. I won a tournament yesterday by 11 strokes.

for the most part i notice about a -10 average online....i did get lucky as i recognized some of the players and they had off games.

-7 was still my best i believe in online on that course which brought me to my conclusion that i might be overthinking shots online...i may test this today but i do have a vita related injury right now due to either HSG or VT but my thumb is jammed/hurting (not really jammed but i got a nice amount of pain when i hit the buttons)

Top Bottom