• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf / Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational |OT| You're invited too!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I have a feeling the 1w impact zone is going to be perfect or nothing regardless of what clubs, balls and character you use. If it's that tiny with the starting characters that have A's for impact, it's going to be that for everything.

Maybe they want to add a little challenge to the drives... they are kind of boring in HSG5 and the only time things get interesting/dicey at all is occasionally on the par 5's.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Maybe they want to add a little challenge to the drives... they are kind of boring in HSG5 and the only time things get interesting/dicey at all is occasionally on the par 5's.

Yeah, honestly I kinda dig it. Going to have to be more disciplined about my impact but it makes it more challenging. Someone tell the IGN guy so he can deduct another point.

krae_man

I'm going to wait before I do some of these Crown challenges. It took me 5 tries to get the 2000 point one on the first challenge. I kept on finishing with 1900ish points. I'll try them later when I have better characters, balls and clubs.

Edit: Finished 2nd in one of yesterday's dailies. I can't wait for the preseason to end.

depward

Suppose I should mention - picking this up on Wed. SEN: depward. Only launch game so I can focus all my energy on it :)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm going to wait before I do some of these Crown challenges. It took me 5 tries to get the 2000 point one on the first challenge. I kept on finishing with 1900ish points. I'll try them later when I have better characters, balls and clubs.

Edit: Finished 2nd in one of yesterday's dailies. I can't wait for the preseason to end.

I started trying to do crown challenges, but I gave up after forgetting to put spin on my LAST approach shot on the use spin on every shot crown. And then during 3-4, I rolled off the green on a shot and hit rough on the second to last hole. Frustrating bro.

I'm not actually doing any preseason since the TP's aren't going to count, so I'm not sure why I should do them, haha.

Gaspode_T

Any tips on the most efficient way of grinding points?

Continuously play easy matches?

The crowns earn extra points, but for myself I just use leveling up characters on easier courses because it's less stressful and you can actually try to get the crown for those at the same time. So I would prioritize unlocking new characters and leveling them up, but helps to get the nice clubs/balls later too.

I think my fave for easy win is 2-4, it has "big hole" mode at least in Japanese version.

The crowns earn extra points, but for myself I just use leveling up characters on easier courses because it's less stressful and you can actually try to get the crown for those at the same time. So I would prioritize unlocking new characters and leveling them up, but helps to get the nice clubs/balls later too.

I think my fave for easy win is 2-4, it has "big hole" mode at least in Japanese version.

How do you get crowns?

Pagusas

Elden Member
From IGN review
Say, for example, you spend 30 to 45 minutes on an 18-hole tournament and you keep the lead through 17 holes. On the last hole, you spend agonizing minutes studying the course, noting the wind direction and speed, adjusting your shot, and selecting the spin for the ball. Then, in the seconds before executing your shot, you miss the impact zone by a hair and somehow your ball ends up out-of-bounds, wracking your score with a penalty and plummeting your position in the tournament from 1st to 4th.

You complete the challenge without a gold star, and you must now repeat the same 45-minute tournament from the beginning. For all the careful planning and thought you put in, the punishment for a millisecond mistake seems severe. And finally earning that star after repeated efforts feels much less rewarding than the time invested deserves.

Jesus F. Christ, this is what Hot Shots is all about! Talk about a little baby, sorry you dont get patted on the head for a good try. The fact that you can win or fail even in the last hole tells you its a competitive tense experience! Sorry you cant just sail through it and screw up and have nothing at stake. What fun is it if there is no "losing". Part of the joy of getting getting first is knowing that it wasnt easy! that there was a chance you could fall back. The fact that the game remains competitive till the last breath should be a point to be commended, not scolded for!

krae_man

I can finish an 18 hole tournament in 1/2 that time. Also it sounds like he rolled a character and item combonation that was all about dirving driving distance at the expense of everything else.

krae_man

Do you have to unlock the different swing mechanics?
If so how long does it take to unlock the one from HSG5?

You mean the Advanced shot? Didn't take very long. You have to buy it in the shop. I can't remember if it was the first or second shot you can buy but it was pretty early on.

TheBear

You mean the Advanced shot? Didn't take very long. You have to buy it in the shop. I can't remember if it was the first or second shot you can buy but it was pretty early on.

Yeah I think that's the one. I played HSG5 before I payed Open Tee and I just couldn't get used to the original swing style. The Advanced one is awesome.
And that IGN review is complete bullshit. Too hard waa waa. Fuck off.

Duffyside

Banned
From IGN review

Jesus F. Christ, this is what Hot Shots is all about! Talk about a little baby, sorry you dont get patted on the head for a good try. The fact that you can win or fail even in the last hole tells you its a competitive tense experience! Sorry you cant just sail through it and screw up and have nothing at stake. What fun is it if there is no "losing". Part of the joy of getting getting first is knowing that it wasnt easy! that there was a chance you could fall back. The fact that the game remains competitive till the last breath should be a point to be commended, not scolded for!

Wrong. WRONG. This is not what Hot Shots is about. This is what GOLF is about. Fuck, this is what sports is about, but golf more than any other. Golf more than any other sport will involve a man heading into a final round, or a back nine, or a final three, or even the last hole with what seems like an easy lead and fall apart because of one mistake; because of nerves. That this cartoonish, goofy golf game can so closely replicate that experience more than any other sports game I've ever played is a wonderful compliment to the series.

Obviously, I actually agree with you. I'm just even more appalled at the reviewer's comments than you are.

Ravage

And this is why i never bother reading reviews this gen. That IGN reviewer should stick to reviewing casual crap with auto-win buttons. Basically any game that rewards players for being shit (does such a game even exist?).

madmackem

Thats a strange reason to give in the review, hell any sports game is like that you could be winning in fifa and be lose in the last two minutes of the game thats not the games fault thats your own.

Thanks for the crown list.

Is there a list of what I can purchase in the store? I'm not sure if I want to spend on character unlocks, or save it for good stuff.

Number45

Wrong. WRONG. This is not what Hot Shots is about. This is what GOLF is about. Fuck, this is what sports is about, but golf more than any other. Golf more than any other sport will involve a man heading into a final round, or a back nine, or a final three, or even the last hole with what seems like an easy lead and fall apart because of one mistake; because of nerves. That this cartoonish, goofy golf game can so closely replicate that experience more than any other sports game I've ever played is a wonderful compliment to the series.

Obviously, I actually agree with you. I'm just even more appalled at the reviewer's comments than you are.
Was going to say the same thing, that comment in the review is insane.

Do you have to unlock the Augmented Reality feature? I thought you'd be able to play with a custom background. Also, how do you change caddies?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
People need to stop using the Vita |OT| for setting up tourneys. -_-

Is there a way to setup a community/list of people on the Vita itself to send mass messages to when we want to do a GAF tourney?

krae_man

I don't want to do any tournaments yet. I want to unlock all the balls, clubs, characters and max their loyalty. Gotta make the most of the preseason :lol

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I don't want to do any tournaments yet. I want to unlock all the balls, clubs, characters and max their loyalty. Gotta make the most of the preseason :lol

Well, yeah - haha. I mean, I've done a few preseason tourneys hosted on the international tourney option, but that's just because challenges were getting mind numbing. Points = unlocks! I just want people to realize we DO have a thread for the game - that Vita thread moves WAY too quick to try and set something up.

Chorazin

This game is a lot of fun (my first HSG game!), but holy hell do I suck at Putting! Is there a good tutorial anywhere for how to putt better? That's adding two or more strokes to my score each hole and it's driving me nuts.

krae_man

This game is a lot of fun (my first HSG game!), but holy hell do I suck at Putting! Is there a good tutorial anywhere for how to putt better? That's adding two or more strokes to my score each hole and it's driving me nuts.

Best advice I can give you: 0.1 feet of slope effects your putting distance 1 full foot. Example 10 foot putt 0.4 feet uphill = do 14 feet worth of putt strength. Generally speaking this works. Some putts with large breaks will be a little different since the ball will travel a longer distance because of the slope but 99 times out of 100 it's bang on.

Getting a read on left to right break will just take time.

Chorazin

Best advice I can give you: 0.1 feet of slope effects your putting distance 1 full foot. Example 10 foot putt 0.4 feet uphill = do 14 feet worth of putt strength. Generally speaking this works. Some putts with large breaks will be a little different since the ball will travel a longer distance because of the slope but 99 times out of 100 it's bang on.

Getting a read on left to right break will just take time.

Thanks a lot man! Should I do the reverse for downhill slopes as well? Oh, and do each of the white lines on the putting strength meter represent a foot?

krae_man

Thanks a lot man! Should I do the reverse for downhill slopes as well? Oh, and do each of the white lines on the putting strength meter represent a foot?

Yes do the opposite for downhill(eg 30 foot putt, 0.5 feet downhill: do 25 feet of putt strength).

The lines in the putting meter are intervals of 10%. If you're using a 30 foot putt meter they are 3ft, 6ft, 9ft, 12ft etc.

Chorazin

Yes do the opposite for downhill(eg 30 foot putt, 0.5 feet downhill: do 25 feet of putt strength).

The lines in the putting meter are intervals of 10%. If you're using a 30 foot putt meter they are 3ft, 6ft, 9ft, 12ft etc.

Thanks a ton! I'll keep this stuff in my head when I play tonight.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
For uphill putts:
Flag% + Uphill*1000/Max putt

For downhill putts:
Flag% - Downhill*1000/Max putt

Examples:
Flag% = 50
Uphill = 0.41 ft
Max Putt = 30 ft

50 + 0.41*1000/30 = 63.67% => ~19ft of power on a 15ft putt

Flag% = 35
Downhill = 0.07 ft
Max Putt = 60 ft

35 - 0.07*1000/60 = 33.83% => ~20ft of power on a 21ft putt

You have to adjust for slopes and such, but that's a good starting point to judge distance.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
People need to stop using the Vita |OT| for setting up tourneys. -_-

Is there a way to setup a community/list of people on the Vita itself to send mass messages to when we want to do a GAF tourney?

yes someone set one up please. how does the async work? can we just do an async tourney to start?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

It's been the busiest place to go to post them. I was one of them but will be posting here from this time forward.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It's been the busiest place to go to post them. I was one of them but will be posting here from this time forward.

I liked your posts b/c it showed a lot of new people how cool of a game HSG was so keep it up. :D

Only thing I would be bummed out about is missing on a tourney I can participate in so cross post here. :D :D

krae_man

For uphill putts:
Flag% + Uphill*1000/Max putt

For downhill putts:
Flag% - Downhill*1000/Max putt

Examples:
Flag% = 50
Uphill = 0.41 ft
Max Putt = 30 ft

50 + 0.41*1000/30 = 63.67% => ~19ft of power on a 15ft putt

Flag% = 35
Downhill = 0.07 ft
Max Putt = 60 ft

35 - 0.07*1000/60 = 33.83% => ~20ft of power on a 21ft putt

You have to adjust for slopes and such, but that's a good starting point to judge distance.

Dude you made that way more complicated they it needs to be and why did you start with putt strength percentage and end with putt strenth in feet.

If anything you should have went

flag percentage 50%
uphill: 0.3 feet
max putt - 30 feet

did you math and came up with 60% strength on a 30 foot putt meter as your answer.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I liked your posts b/c it showed a lot of new people how cool of a game HSG was so keep it up. :D

Only thing I would be bummed out about is missing on a tourney I can participate in so cross post here. :D :D

If we really need the players, let's cross post in the launch thread (for now) as it's highly busy and only going to get bigger from here on out. So more exposure. Heck, we're going to be on OT2 by next week maybe.

Midou

I've put a few hours into it, HSG is never as relaxing as I'd hope it to be. Go 5 holes with birdies and par, occasional eagle, all of a sudden ball either ends up somewhere that I can't play it from or hits like a tiny ass windmill blade or whatnot, all of a sudden triple bogey, effort gone to waste. It's the worst when doing the daily torunies.

I should probably not let it get to me so much, I never even get mad at games like Dark Souls.

TheExodu5

Banned
I really like the new 1W precision choice by the developers...it makes drives far more meaningful. In real golf, drives are tough and rarely accurate. This does a good job of replicating that feeling.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Dude you made that way more complicated they it needs to be. and why did you start with putt strength percentage and end with putt strenth.

If anything you should have went

flag percentage 50%
uphill: 0.3 feet
max putt - 30 feet

did you math and came up with 60% strength on a 30 foot putt meter as your answer.

What's the ratio for elevation gain and drops again? Used to know it but forgot it.

I really like the new 1W precision choice by the developers...it makes drives far more meaningful. In real golf, drives are tough and rarely accurate. This does a good job of replicating that feeling.
Yep at first it really threw me but now I quite like it. Driving was really vanilla and almost Tiger Woodsish automatic for a while there. No longer....

Top Bottom