• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf / Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational |OT| You're invited too!

Being it seems like Q & A time I got a question.

Anyone know the prerequisites for the back and forward spins/ rising and homing.

It seems theres some sorta formula for when they will actually work and wont....sometimes ill get the backspin and sometimes not. I know why woods dont work but ill have a perfect impact with say a 5iron on dead flat surface and wont get my rollback....yet next time I will (yes i have the loyalty and the proper button presses)

steveovig

I'm pretty sure i'm one of the worst players doing the daily tournaments just shot a +2 for today's.

That sounds like a score I'd have. How the hell do I get better at this game? It's really frustrating me. I've made it to Pro in Challenge Mode on Easy but I keep only shooting for Par or Bogeys. The putting really seems to screw me over as I can nail the short ones but anything over 15 feet I have no chance at hitting.

That sounds like a score I'd have. How the hell do I get better at this game? It's really frustrating me. I've made it to Pro in Challenge Mode on Easy but I keep only shooting for Par or Bogeys. The putting really seems to screw me over as I can nail the short ones but anything over 15 feet I have no chance at hitting.

Practice practice and more practice. Over time things start coming naturally.

as for the pars and bogeys theyll get better as you get better toons and clubs....someone who can hit 280yds has alot better of a chance hitting under par then your new lowend toons/gear

see5harp

I'm sure they'll have whatever HSG PS3 had (I don't think private invites) -- i.e. private games where you can set everything and then also see peoples' players on the green with you. What surprised me was that that wasn't enabled for launch. Not a huge deal as I think most people are still figuring out the game, but hopefully we don't have to wait months.

Well the PS3 version didn't even have multiplayer at launch if I'm not mistaken. Party chat sorta negates the need for chat but I'm also bugged at how small the text limit is. You can't even say 4 words without it being chopped.

Blitzzz

despite it's cartoon look, this game is more sim than arcadey.... there is no other way other than practicing. You have a huge leg up if you understand real golf. Try and hit into greens with backspin to stop the ball, read the wind, course management, know where to land to get a clear shot at green, get extra distance if you spin the ball with the wind, uphill putts don't break as much as downhill.... there are so many things the game doesn't teach you

edit: all the things I've mentioned don't rely on perfecting special shots at all.... once you understand the little things, you can shoot under par regularly with no special shots

see5harp

Is there a way to manually record your shots? I just hit an eagle in challenge mode and it didn't record it. :(

You gotta buy the camera in the store for manual saves. That sorta bugged me too and even after I bought the camera in game, I was sorta pissed that you basically have to play 18+ holes just to have enough money to buy it.

laika09

Can someone explain how 3ft gimmes work? Sometimes the game gives them to me, sometimes I have to put manually from 0.1 feet away. It's not an issue really, but the inconsistency is bothering me.

I finally put Lumines down long enough to play this game. I hate the graphics. Seriously, Sony, you suck. It's your device, your games should run at native res and utilize touch screen properly. With that said, it's HSG and I love the gameplay. I got my ass handed to me in my first tournament online using whatever the default gear and player is, but had a blast doing so.

PSN - Bahooki if you want another HSG friend.

krae_man

Can someone explain how 3ft gimmes work? Sometimes the game gives them to me, sometimes I have to put manually from 0.1 feet away. It's not an issue really, but the inconsistency is bothering me.

It's only for Bogeys or greater. I think with online tournaments or dailies there are none and you have to putt no matter what.

Blitzzz

It activates on bogeys and up from my experience. You have to putt out your par (I think it's reasonable, I make my friends putt out birdies in real life....sometimes I'll give them the par)

george_us

2002-05-07-iverson2.jpg

"Practice?"

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
What's the secret to putting? I suck at it.

A big part of it is being aware of how high/low the green is sloping, and factoring in the distance to the hole, you end up having rough formulas in your head, 15cm up slope, 8m distance from the hole, then I may hit about half a segment over the recommended hit value, that is just an example mind, you have to keep an eye on the pin/hole elevation indicator at all times when your on approach, and on the green it is essential as it will give you a good indication of the severity of the slope, if it slopes up you'll need to hit over the recommended amount, how much depends on how high the pin/hole is, and and how far away it is, if it's flat, you can usually pretty much hit dead on recommended or just a touch over is a good idea to make sure the ball sinks in the hole, if your putting down slope meaning your higher than the hole then less power is needed, I find down slope putts on the green much harder than up slope putts as the ball will veer to the left/right more on the down slope as it has more pace so you have to take that into consideration, up and down slope putts requires different angle adjustments.

Also don't forget that when on the green the power of your putt will also dictate the arc of the balls path, if you under power a putt for example the ball may veer more to the left/right depending on the slope of the green, there's a lot to take into consideration when putting.

For me when it comes to the actual angle of the putt I usually just do that on pure feeling alone, I don't really over think that too much.

I've probably told you a lot of stuff that is already obvious to you but hope it helps.

jlevel13

The putting really seems to screw me over as I can nail the short ones but anything over 15 feet I have no chance at hitting.

Just like real life, the further you are from the pin the harder it is to one putt. I mean, not making a putt from +15 feet isn't something to get upset about. Sure, try to sink it in one, but don't be over-aggressive - if you get it close to the pin on the longer putts, that's good enough.

The more you play, the quicker you can read what you need to do to make a good putt. As others have said, looking at elevation, getting the power close to right, getting a feel for what direction the ground slopes (so you aim more to the left or right), all comes with time.

krae_man

Oh god, I mucked up the impact of my tee shot on the par 4 that's reachable in one in the first daily. My ball landed an inch away from being OOB. Managed to make birdie and finished 8th.

Edit: 8th, 5th and 45th for today's dailies. That should make up for yesterdays tanking.

Joe Molotov

Oh god, I mucked up the impact of my tee shot on the par 4 that's reachable in one in the first daily. My ball landed an inch away from being OOB. Managed to make birdie and finished 8th.

Edit: 8th, 5th and 45th for today's dailies. That should make up for yesterdays tanking.

lol, I'm like 964th, 1085th, etc.

bah! I wont even admit what my dailies are!
idk i just tank like hell when online...nerves or something

krae_man

bah! I wont even admit what my dailies are!
idk i just tank like hell when online...nerves or something

I find the Dailies easier. I screw up more often in regular tournaments. I can be listening to a podcast while doing these and be fine. Online tournaments on the other hand need 100% of my attention or I screw up badly. Go figure.

Just got my vita.. and my only game is HSG! I'll get more eventually but for now all I need is HSG. My one friend won't get a vita for a while so please add me to play some matches. Just started so I don't have everything unlocked yet but I'm sure it's a blast.

PSN: MeshuggahMan

Woo!

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Didnt keep track of my temp rank in today's dailies.

But my current online rank is

Player Ranking: 621 (out of 6496)
Shot Ranking: 816 (out of 9766)

And how like most "experts" abuse the mathematics of statistics...
... my ranks put me in the top 10% precentile.

And I consider that a good thing. :p

And in case no one has put me in their friend list yet: Harlan_Ryudo

Bullza2o

Just got my vita.. and my only game is HSG! I'll get more eventually but for now all I need is HSG. My one friend won't get a vita for a while so please add me to play some matches. Just started so I don't have everything unlocked yet but I'm sure it's a blast.

PSN: MeshuggahMan

Woo!
I only have HSG and SSD, and so far I'm only getting Gravity Rush in the near future. HSG is so addicting!

hort22

Put the code in the PlayStation store.

Will that update the game as well to 1.03 or whatever?

Edit. Nm thanks finally found it

Also am updating the game as well but another q for the online code...I entered it and hit confirm...was I actually suppose to download anything as well?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Also am updating the game as well but another q for the online code...I entered it and hit confirm...was I actually suppose to download anything as well?

Nope, the code is just an unlock, you don't download anything at all. If you want to confirm you have it, check the Services List in the Store.

krae_man

Just finished the last crown. The stars trophy makes no sense. You need 42 crowns to even unlock the last star. Who is going to go through the trouble of collecting the other 42 crowns and not get both the star and the crown for the last event at the same time?

Pachimari

I think Birdie is 200 points, par is 100 points, bogey is nothing. Points don't really mean much on the scoreboard, as long as you take less shots overall than your opponents. It's only used as a tiebreaker when you guys have the same amount of shots in the end. At the end, your points are totaled, and you use those points to purchase items in the store.

Par basically means the amount of shots to stay even, or 'average'. Birdie means it takes one less shot to get it in the hole, and bogey means it takes one more shot than par to get into the hole.

I'm not sure I totally get it, but thanks for the explanation.
So I just have to take a few shots as possible.

And the Par, Birdie and Bogey stuff doesn't mean much, unless me and opponents have equal shots.

In the last 2 single-player events I have gone down the rankings, I suck.

Well that's pretty damned awesome! Brings me back to the days when such features were unlockable in all games... memoriiiies lol

True. It just seems odd that the manual record function is an unlockable, but auto record isn't. It auto recorded my 2 chip-in birdies but not my eagle? WTF? I'm a little salty because I don't make eagles that often and now I have no proof. lol

Sony really needs to do something about the way connections are handled on the Vita. If I'm waiting in the HSG menu for the next hole to begin and there's a 80 second wait, I should be able to go to my friends list or message someone and then come back to play the next hole without getting disconnected and being forced to wait 25 minutes to join another game. That's just stupid.

Top Bottom